Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Murano MPG Real World Numbers

Comments

• baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    Well said. But I feel as if it needed more cowbell. ;)
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,678
    But most vehicles will get worse fuel mileage using 87 if the vehicle was designed for 91 because the timing must be retarded to compensate. So you not only lose power but you also lose fuel mileage which can negate the per gallon cost savings if you use more fuel.
  • tinycadontinycadon Posts: 287
    Fuel wasn't the factor in my buying decision, it was the vehicle itself, it was brand new, nothing else like it on the road, and the size and ride was excellent for my needs. All I'm doing is trying to wake people up to the fact that PREMIUM gas is not needed in this vehicle, and if it's needed for MAXIMUM performance, well, who really MAXs out their vehicles in the 1st place??? Some cars redline at 7000rpms, who in the reality of day to day driving ever even comes close to getting to 7000rpms? If people want to dump and waste $$$ by putting premium gas into this vehicle, go ahead, I'm just trying to save people the $$$ and tell them it's not needed. Again, I was getting 22-24mpg using 87 octane on the highway doing avg speeds of 70-80mph, now, you going to tell me that's not good? It's basically the EPA Est of 24mpg for highway, doing an average of 75mph, I'd say regular 87 was more than sufficient for this vehicle.
    And it's probable that you would get even better mileage with 91 octane since the timing won't have to be retarded. If you get 24-26 mpg on 91 octane that's a 10% improvement. The price difference between regular and premium in my area is 10%. When gas was $3/gallon the price difference was even less. Worst case it's a wash. You're not saving any money, and you're getting less power to boot.

It may be possible to get even more power and better mileage from the Edge by using 91. But it's apples and oranges.
  • tinycadontinycadon Posts: 287
    If you get 24-26 mpg on 91 octane that's a 10% improvement.

That's a pretty big "IF." From everything I've read, there really wasn't anything that suggested that going to the higher gas octane would get significant results, and that's from the owners postings, not some brochure propaganda. Since this vehicle wasn't built to be a sportscar, I chose not to put "racing fuel" in it. If people want a sportscar, buy a sportscar, if people want a sport UTILITY vehicle, then expect more utility than sport.
    Obviously it varies by vehicle but I've seen real world tests that confirm a 10% drop in mileage going from 93 to 87 in a car that was designed to use premium.

It's common knowledge that in order for a car that's tuned for 91 octane to run on 87 octane without damage the timing has to be retarded. When you retard the timing you lose fuel economy. The only question is how much.
  • comp386comp386 Posts: 56
    The original point was simply that Murano needed premium to reach its listed hp. Using regular will give you less HP. If you don't care than that's good for you, but it's not a topic for this board.
    While I don't know too much about the Murano to do any feature comparison, the Edge seems to be well loaded. I'm glad to see Ford finally making all of these safety features standard. Has anyone gotten to sit in one of these vehicles? I think one of my biggest complaints about Fords (and probably all vehicles really) is that designers spend so much time on the outside, they forget that drivers spend most of their time looking at the inside of their car and not the outsides.
  • terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    ...."designers spend so much time on the outside, they forget that drivers spend most of their time looking at the inside of their car and not the outsides."

How true! I guess they do look at them as rolling billboards to increase sales.... ;)
  • easym1easym1 Posts: 218
    My friends, I read some of your discussions and it was suggested that we need premium gas to get the posted HP. If that's the case, Nissan is in trouble because they overrated their HP, and if i'm not mistaken, it was based on regular gasoline and not premium.

Regarding performance, a higher octane will achieve that but I don't think it will translate into higher MPG. I tried using the highest octane at shell station here in Canada out of curiousity for 2 months but did not see any gain in MPG but did find that the performance and the ease it runs is better but there's a price to pay, and for those who wants max performance, it's the best way to go. But I decided to use mid-grade instead. I still get improved performance but again, no MPG gain.
    There are many, many factors with all of that.

What is your altitude where most driving occurs?

What is the ambient temperature?

Higher altitudes = less Octane rating to achieve optimum performance.

Temperature and even air pressure effect the results.

So long as it is revealed in the methodology of the testing, it is ethical to list HP using 91+ or whatever. So far as I know, there isn't a standard set for that by the Auto Industry......
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Great questions! I don't mean to pick nits but it's "elevation" that you're talking about. Airplanes fly at altitude. When we're earthbound it's called elevation. :)

tidester, host
    Moderator abuse!! :P

LOL. Yes, agreed, Tidester. :)
    Hello terri92270, the elevation is irrelevant in this case because I based all my measurements from home to my office everyday.

To our HOST, if you don't mind, can you please post again the site regarding MPG. This should clarify some of the misconceptions regarding MPG and OCTANE.

I would advise everyone to go that site.
    Elevation, as it applies to Octane, is always relevant, as Octane needed for optimal performance decreases with elevation.... ;)
    terry92270, If you read my post, I did not say that elevetion is not relevant but in my case where I drove the same place when I did my comparison, there's no need to compare the elevation of the same road.
    Maybe not for you, but for the rest of us, comparing your results, it would be, no? ;)
    Let me make it clear if you still don't get it. I used premium gas for 2 months driving the same road from home to work and I used the same road from home to work using the mid-grade. How in the world can you factor elevation if I was using the same road to compare my MPG?
    Sorry, Easym1, I didn't mean to make you feel threatened, or back you into a corner by asking you to reveal your elevation. Please forget the question.... :)
    Even if I have the chance to know the elevation of all the roads I travel from home to work, what difference would it make if I use the same road to test the MPG?

Again, if I use 2 different locations, that make sense and I dont feel threatened as you suggested. But sorry 'coz I can't make you understand a simple point.

Let me ask the opinion of our HOST if it's really necessary or it make sense to know the elevation of exactly the same road that I use to test my MPG results between regular and high octane gas.

terry92270,just for curiousity, do you know all the elevation changes on the roads that you travelled? If the answer is yes, I'd like to know where to get the info.
    I live in Reno, Nevada, USA.

The elevation is posted, along with the population, alongside roadways as you enter cities and towns here. Within a radius of 100 miles in all directions but West, we sit about 4,000 Feet. Elevation is also given on all highway maps I have seen from the Automobile Association, for most major cities and towns.

I am not so anal-retentive as to have been asking for the exact elevation of where you are driving, and it is not needed. I understood your point, and if only you existed in the world, it indeed would not matter. However to illustrate for others as to what makes your car run better, with better performance, it is indeed a germain point to know at what elevation the "tests" were run. ;)
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Let me ask the opinion of our HOST if it's really necessary or it make sense to know the elevation of exactly the same road that I use to test my MPG results between regular and high octane gas.

I think that unless the engine is being run at less than maximum load then the octane rating should make little difference in power output though "engine knock" should still be the predominant issue.

Yes, elevation matters because of the change in barometric pressure but I'd look elsewhere for significant differences in mileage from one driver to another.

I will say that in the spirit of friendly chat concerning mpg, some will find it informative to know the elevation at which the driving is done but, for heaven's sake, if the information is not forthcoming can we just move on? :)

tidester, host
    No problema amigo!
  • 25/28 mpg with a Honda CR-V. Yes. But for that milage with a CR-V you must drive with your knees in your mouth and push it up any grade of 2% or more!

Oh, I forgot to say if you want that type of milage with a CR-V your top speed will be 65mph (45mph with ANY headwind)

The CR-V is VERY under powered. I prefer to get where I'm going, and be able to walk when I get out of the car. I junked my CR-V after only 5k! :lemon:
  • What are most seeing with regard to fuel mileage? We have an 07 with 1,400 miles on it and are seeing 22 city, 23-24 highway but we live in mountaneous area around Mount Eagle TN so I am not sure we will get 25 mpg until we get the car broke in. We love the pickup, handling is oh la la, and the SL leather package (not heated seats version) is great. CVT is awesome and within a couple of days really began to appreciate the "shiftless" concept. I also have an 05 Frontier CC / 2x4 6spd and Nissan has really got some great vehicles on the road.
  • Picked up an '07 SL Tuesday night and took it on a day trip of about 380 miles today, cruising at 60-70 mph on I-195 and I-95. First 190 miles at 22.8 mpg. Next 145 at 23.5. Last 45 at 24.4. No complaints with any of that. Sweet vehicle. Love the CVT.
    But what color?

Congratulations on your new ride! :)
  • "But what color?"

Merlot with cafe latte leather. Thanks for the congrats. Wife loves it. So do i. :shades:
  • I was wondering if anyone is seeing the same behavior that I am. I have an 06 SL AWD (haven't seen much so far in this forum about AWD models). I get 23-25 mpg on the highway usually travelling 70-75 mph. In suburban "around town" driving I will typically get 17-19 mpg. But here's the kicker: I live in downtown Chicago and with tanks used completely on true city driving I get around 13-14 mpg. The dealer keeps saying "wait until the engine is broken in" but c'mon... 13 miles per gallon? That's just off the charts. We are at 7,000 miles now.

We have been using 87 octane because everything I have read, including from the oil companies who sell the stuff (see box at http://www.chevron.com/products/PRODSERV/FUELS/bulletin/fuel_economy/) indicates that using an octane above the required value will not improve fuel economy. They all say that higher octane fuel is ONLY to prevent knocking. Most of the results from people in this forum seem mixed about testing fuel economy with different octanes.

My wife and I got this Murano new in May and we are in love with it except for this mileage thing. Has anyone else had similar problems? Could it be unique to AWD models?
    lenk44,

If I remember right, I did experience around 15-16 MPG city when my Murano was new and worse on cold days. But noticed improved MPG as I increased my mileage. My mixed driving is currently giving me between 17-18.5 MPG.

I'm currently using mid-grade gasoline...K&N air and oil filter..Mobil 1 oil...My best Highway was 20-22MPG at an ave speed of 100-110 KM.

I hope this helps.