Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Murano MPG Real World Numbers

Comments

• hpgatorhpgator Posts: 39
    Does it really matter all that much for this car? The dealer told me that 87 regular would be just fine, but I wonder if it really matters to get 93 octane for the fuel efficiency? I mean, if you spend $4 more at the pump, for example (20 cents more for premium * 20 gallons), does that equate to at least 20 miles (one gallon) or more in driving distance? If so, it more than makes up for it.

From what I'm assuming, you'd need to average AT LEAST 1mpg more than when you used regular.
  • mike1111mike1111 Posts: 93
    The dealer tank netted me 15.8 i assume that was 89 octane.I went to 93 just cause it's better gas and my mpg has gone up pretty well.My first tank after the dealer i got mid 17s.Now i've been getting mid 19s with 90% city driving.It's a 07 SL AWD
  • hpgatorhpgator Posts: 39
    That would pretty much make the change worthwhile for sure... you spend more at the pump, but you get more out of it. Premium also keeps the engine running in top form for longer.
  • glendowerglendower Posts: 32
    You...will...get...no...better...mileage...from...premium...gas. Really.
  • carnut21carnut21 Posts: 38
    Just came off of a 550+ mile round trip and averaged about 26.5 mpg. This is the best that I have ever done. Because gas has increased to $3+ per gallon (I run 87 octane), I saved $10-11 on the trip based on the last trip where I got 23 mpg. Not much money but allowed me to travel an extra 75 miles and 3+ less gallons that the oil companies got to sell.

Speed makes a difference and speed cost money.

With the fight about 87 vs 93; the engine is rated at 245 with the 93, with 87 there is about a 4-6 hp drop if I am not mistaken because the timing is backed off / retarded.

In town, the Murano gets about 21-22.
  • carnut21carnut21 Posts: 38
    It should be noted that I dropped my speed from 78 to 68 to get this increased mileage. This included round trips over Mount Eagle Mountain outside of Chattanooga. That mountain kills mileage!
  • kbear2kbear2 Posts: 6
    Don't drive a whole lot as I only have 15,000 miles on my Murano considering I purchased it in April 05.

Mix of highway and around town using regular gas always. Have averaged between 21-22 mpg with a bit better on a long drive. Only twice did I get just under 20 mpg and both times were during very cold weather.

Am a conservative driver with no jack rabbit starts and coast to red lights, etc.
    And I don't speed, trying to keep under 65 when traffic will let me.

Car is in immaculate shape with no problems. (knock on wood) :-)
  • we just bought a 2007 nissan murano with 9600 miles and traded in a 2006 pt cruiser.we knew we would'nt get the mileage the cruiser got but so far we've been very happy with the murano.we live approx. 26 miles from town and so far average 24 mpg which is about the same as the cruiser.this is one hell of a cool car and have to fight the wife to drive it.we're going on a road trip to laughlin,nv and we'll be able to see what mieage we get on the road.i guess i don't worry about it as long you're having a great time driving it. :D
  • Well like many others mine shows about 15-16 MPG on regular gas. Rarely close to 17. It is stock 2005 S, and my wife has a lead foot :)
  • We have an 07 Murano that we got in October 2006 and have about 21,400 miles and no we do not use it for business. My wife just drives alot.

We have maxed at 26.5 mpg on a trip to Florida and worst at 20 mpg. We average about 23 most of the time except when we travel from middle TN to east TN and get about 24-25 most trips but going across Monteagle Mountain always causes us to lose at least 1 mpg on the average.

We have had ZERO problems with the car and will trade it for a Rogue in January. It will be a little smaller but with the miles my wife puts on a car, the extra few mpg will add up and the lower lease payment will be nice as well.

You can not go wrong with a Murano!
  • easym1easym1 Posts: 218
    2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 87 gas octane
    50-50 Highway and City
    Average beyween 16 - 16.5 MPG
  • Just got an 04 murano with 44k miles on it. I'm getting 14MPG hwy and a little less, 12 in the city. Does that sound right? Don't drive hard or far.
  • easym1easym1 Posts: 218
    That is worse than mine. How cold is your location? One thing I noticed, our Murano's MPG get worse as the winter approaches...the colder, the worse.

By the way, I use K&N air and oil filters and Mobil-1 for oil. This may be the difference in our fuel consumption. If you don't, try using those products and let us know if it works for you.
  • I have noticed the MPG go down in cold weather. I think most of that is due to warming the car up and letting it idle. In the summer and fall I was getting 20.5 or so with 80% city driving. My fill ups in the winter have been as low as 16.9 and my last one was 18.1 I do the calculation with a calculator cause the MPG gauge on the Murano is off by a gallon or so.

If the trip says I'm getting 20 I'm really gatting close to 19. I use Mobil one oil and I'm gonna get the K&N air filter. I have 17,500 trouble free miles on my 07 SL AWD so far.
  • dublejdublej Posts: 1
    Just got a new 2007 SL AWD back in Dec 07 been driving it in Chicago for about 1200 miles so far. Not seeing great MPG, avg about 16.9 MPG. Yes right now it is cold weather (may effect it) tried using Shell premium 93 Oct and reg Plus 89 Oct and haven't seen much improvemnt. Seems reading all other posts MPG will vary but most seem to float anywhere around 14-18MPG but most don't seem close to the 20 city and 24 hwy it advertises. Hopefully in the summer I see an improvement and can reach that 20 MPG city
  • We have an '07 SL FWD and I am not sure how some of you are driving. We have city trips, highway trips, and mixed trips and the worst we have ever gotten is 21 and the best has been 26.5 (rarely) and generally get 22-24 all of the time. My wife says I am not the average bird because I try to minimize all of the time (start stopping early-i.e. coasting, long grades down hill-push to neutral and then back into drive to get the rpm's down instead of letting the CVT hold the rpm's up, drive the speed limit most of the time - speed going down hills preparing to go up hills and slow down then, running 37-40 psi in the tires, minimal idling, keep the rpm's below 2000 rpm when starting when possible, and so-on so forth.

How does every one else drive?

By the way, worst mileage is seen using wal-mart gas.
  • kbear2kbear2 Posts: 6
    Average a bit over 21 mpg, more on trips and in summer. Use regular gas only and whatever is cheap. Am a conservative driver so I don't jackrabbit start and anticipate stops letting up on the pedal and coasting when possible. NJ driving is tough traffic and I try to avoid rush hour and slowdowns but do get caught in idling and backups which is tough on mpg. Anyway, am pretty pleased with gas mileage considering all parameters.
  • I just bought a 2007 awd murano and am currently experiencing just under 15 mpg with a combination of city and highway driving. Is this a problem with a 20/24 rating?
  • My '07 SL FWD has 900 miles on it (3 weeks old) and I've been at 23 mpg regular unleaded and 25 with premium... Only a few fill ups thus far, though.
  • i bought a 2007 awd in september, i do all city driving in nyc. i average 8-9 mpg. any recommendation to improve my mpg?
  • bought a 2007 awd in september, i do all city driving in nyc. i average 8-9 mpg. any recommendation to improve my mpg?

Move to the suburbs... ;)
  • Ride the train. Just traded my 07 Murano for an 08 Rogue - I averaged 23-25 mpg over 24,500 miles pretty consistently. From my 1 trip to NYC, I think you are lucky to get that good. It was a drag race to the next light.
  • piterburgpiterburg Posts: 4
    I am mostly in the city and my 11 month 2007 SL AWD Murano averages out 12.7 MPG according to the car computer. I use 87 gas and have about 5000 miles. Is this normal considering MPG advertisement? There is no way driving habits can effect fuel efficiency this much, could there be a problem with the car? :confuse:
  • jsyarussjsyaruss Posts: 50
    anybody have real-world figures for the '09? i know it's the same engine, but figured i'd ask anyway.
  • hapeeownerhapeeowner Posts: 5
    I purchased a 2009 about a month ago in Denver. I do mostly city driving, have about 1,000 miles on it, and get 19.2 MPG (at an average speed of 26 MPH). These are numbers taken straight from the car's readings.
  • dejenkdejenk Posts: 6
    I would like to know if everyone uses premium gas in this vehicle as recommended or is it neccessary? I am seriously considering purchasing a new Murano and have been told by salesmen that regular unleaded (87) was ok.
  • hapeeownerhapeeowner Posts: 5
    Up until yesterday I have only used 87 octane gasoline in my 2009 SL AWD and was getting 19+ MPG with no noticeable knocking or performance problems. Yesterday I filled up (gulp, $82) with 91 octane to see if I would actually see a difference in MPG as is suggested somewhere in the Murano forums.
  • davidv935davidv935 Posts: 17
    I've had my Murano since the 1st of March and have 3000 miles on it. In town, I get 18 MPG routinely. Just did my first highway trip (about 900 miles) and got 22.6MPG. I use the mid grade (89 octane) gas.

In the "For what it's worth" department on whether to use premium or regular. A few years ago I wrote that car guy with a column in the Saturday paper - Bob somethingorother. He published my letter and said most people would never be able to distinguish any difference between the car's performance using premium or regular. At the time, I was using "recommended" premium in my 2004 Maxima. When I switched to the midgrade, my MPG went up 2MPG. I never went back to premium.
  • dmurano1dmurano1 Posts: 1
    I picked up a 2006 Murano SL AWD a month ago and was very curious about the mileage.

On the car's computer it comes in around 12.4 litres per 100km. Sorry but in Canada I don't know imperial...

However, when I actually take the car to the last drop and check my trip mileage, it actually comes in at 11.4 litres per 100km, or effectively 8.4% more fuel economy based on the computer. It would seem the computer metrics is based on several factors (idling etc) that does not convey the accuracy.

Compared to my Pacifica, I'm 22% more fuel efficient.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and I use 87 Octane, the minimum per the guide book. It runs well. Also, I live in Toronto, but don't do rush hour traffic if I can help it at all (which means I usually never do stop and go traffic).
  • Don't believe the salesman, I have a 2004 murano and Iam telling you you have to use premium gas or your engine will start to ping and hesitate.
    If you look at the book it says that 87 is minimum but it is recomended to use 93