Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Engine Issues

Comments

• My 07 5.7 tundra 4x4 crewmax developed a lowend knock @ apprx 4k miles.After 2 visits to the dealer the factory rep approved a complete engine replacement at 5300 miles.I have only put 300 miles on new engine so the jury is still out on wether the new engine will be ok.This 5.7 doesn't seem to have that sewing machine smoothness of my previous 4.7 Tundra.My local dealer has already replaced two other 5.7 engines.So far my ownership experience with this truck has been a major disappointment.Anyone else out there with the same problem?
  • alpsalps Posts: 2
    Limited Slip Differential
  • Had 11 Toyota's for over 33 years and finally got my first bad one.....Engine, trans ecm does not play well together.....Engines knocks rattles sounds like the 6.0 diesel ford......trans shifts like crap..hard shifts, knocks......dealership took it in for 4 days and road tested it 4 miles and called and said it was nothing wrong with it but that I had put a aftermarket oil filter in it and that caused the engine to knock....but....it still had the orginal oil fill and filter from the factory.....Still got all my same problems.....Wife will not drive it, says she wants to get where she is going.....and back.......Wish Butler/Macon would trade me out of this problem....WOW A $33,000 white lemon......dave
  • I have 26,000 miles on my 2007 5.7 tundra. Dealer says the engine noise is normal - sounds like a diesel in the mornings and afternoon when you have low throttle settings (1200-2000 rpm). What do I tell the dealer to get them to do something? Loudest engine I have ever owned.
  • I have a 2002 toyota tundra extended cab,3.4 l engine.I called the local toyota dealership to get a price on replacing the 3 front belts.
    The service advisor advised me that the timing belt and water pump needed to be replaced at the same time with a cost of $800.00.
    The tundra has $122,000 miles and the above service has not been done.
    Is this the correct advice or is he trying to gouge me?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    What does your owner's manual say about replacing the timing belt?
  • Regarding replacing the timing belt and water pump. I have a 2002 Tacoma with 360,000 kms. (225,000 miles) and I have had the belt and pump replaced twice. The first time, I was shocked at the price, but the dealer has assured me that if the water pump fails, it takes the belt with it. Therefore, it is just false economy to replace one and not the other. I have since checked and they are telling the truth. Toyota always errors on the side of being safe and practical. You would be doubly ticked off if your water pump failed and took out the belt just after you paid for the belt to be replaced.

By the way, this truck runs like a top, burns NO oil and is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned.
  • cskycsky Posts: 4
    Howdy -Jus looking for a little help on where to find a decent after market dual exhuast setup for my 05 tundra prefer a cat back setup .
    And I wanting to replace my bridgestone tires [I dont like these tires at all ,at 40 psi its like having skates on the front]

I prefer an semi agressive ,heavy sidewall ,semi smooth ,semi quit ride,handles well with 40 to 50 psi , High milage [50,000 +]
    good on snow rain dry and off road,and will handle my travell trailer.
    This is a great truck and I couldnt be happier .
    Also has anyone out there converted there 4x4 front axle to lockers ?if so ,was pretty simple and affordable ?
  • apptunapptun Posts: 18
    I suggest a visit to your local independent muffler shop. I found that for under $300 you can get a nice sounding, cat back system . Just keep your original in case you change your mind. You can expect about five years of service life from this price range of system.The muffler will have a lifetime warranty and the pipes are aluminized. Someone should feel free to correct me if I have that terminology wrong. It is not all stainless but it is very reasonably priced, I put a set of Cooper tires on my tundra when the Bridgestones bit the dust at less than 30k.The originals were a big let down for me. Good luck.
    Go to tirerack and check out the Firestone Destination A/T.

Best bang for the buck fulfills all your requirements.
  • cskycsky Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply . another ? for ya ,will this [ dual exhaust ]
    increase hp and mpg ? This is pretty much my soul purpose for dual exhaust .
    Thanks again .
  • apptunapptun Posts: 18
    The gains will be extremely small. The system will sound really cool! Just be careful to refrain from driving harder to enjoy the sound improvement or your mileage may actually decrease. I am hoping that the addition of a cold air intake will allow the exhaust to produce some additional improvements.
    The only thing a cold intake will increase is the noise in your cab and the silicone in your oil. But hey all the truck owners who swear a marked increase in seat of the pants power with a catback and air intake can't all be wrong can they?

Toyota sells a supercharger. I'd have the dealer install that and be done with it. That way you'll have the fastest and quietest Tundra on the street. :shades:
  • market525market525 Posts: 27
    If you look in your owner's manual, you'll see the interval is every 90,000 miles, so you are long overdue for this service. Also note that the 3.4 engine is an "interference" engine -- meaning if the timing belt breaks, you will have pistons hitting valves. If that happens, you'll be looking at either finding a junk yard replacement engine, or stepping up the the plate for thousands of dollars in engine repair.

Change the timing belt & water pump, or sell the truck! You could find an independent garage that would do the job cheaper, but I'd be very cautious there, especailly what brand of parts they install I've alway used genuine Toyota parts on maintenance of this nature. Good luck, Steve
  • toddhmtoddhm Posts: 35
    Hello all, I am considering the purchase of a 2008 Tundra 5.7 that was manufactured in late 2007. Have the issues with the 5.7 (knock, etc.) been isolated to a certain period of production, and if so, after what month of production have the issues been addressed and corrected on the assembly line? Is there a way to check the VIN on the particular truck I am purchasing to ensure that it is unaffected? Please help.....
  • I actually did some research on my own after posting the thread.What you said is correct.I contacted an independant garage to do the work and saved approx $300.00.All the garages that I contacted recommended the water pump replacement along with the timing belt replacement.the pump was genuine Toyota bur the belts were Gates.The water pump actually had a leak and was calcifying.The timing belt almost looked new and the 3 drive belts had little wear.Nor bad for 120.00 miles.will certainly repeat the procedure in another 100,000 miles
  • jimmyg8jimmyg8 Posts: 1
    I also have a knock in the motor of my 07 tundra its piston knock when its cold it sounds like a diesel but when it warms up its not as bad but i can't get any satifaction from the dealer or the service rep so i guess the lemon law is next
  • My 07 Tundra makes a Grinding noise sometimes when I make a slow right turn. When I back out of my driveway and put it in drive it does it every time. It's definitely not coming from the engine. It sounds like its coming from around the right front tire. It never does it while driving on the highway. It seems to be noticeable at right turns most of the time. It's like a rough/settling/grinding sound.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, R Budinich
  • dfulcedfulce Posts: 2
    How was the diagnose made as piston slap? My dealer swears there is no problem!! They don't even hear the noise! I am currently trying different oils to see if it helps. I have 30,000 miles on my truck - the noise is not any better or any worse. I make sure anytime I have service done that the complaint is noted on each work order.
  • ppisanoppisano Posts: 16
    Hi all, have th 03 tundra v8 and about to try and replace the bank1/sensor1 after a po0031 code.
    How the heck do i get to it? wheel well? underneath? I'm lost.
    Thanks much appreciated. :confuse: