Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt Real World MPG

Share with other owners your Cobalt's actual MPG.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I totalled up all my gas receipts/mileage records and my stickshift coupe has gotten an average of 34.0 mpg over the past 2,500 or so miles. Mostly freeway. High of 36 or so on a long (400 mile) highway (Yosemite) trip.
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    are you just using the dic for your mpg or are doing the math? the car should be getting near 30mpg. and is the car an automatic?
  • My 2006 Cobalt SS (2.4 manual) gets 31 on a 27 mile one-way commute (half highway / half not). I don't drive like a grandma, either. Pumped up tires to 38 PSI. Ride is a little rougher, but mpg is great!
  • I just went through my first tank of gas on my 2006 Cobalt LS Sedan (2.2 with 5-speed). The computer and the gas fill up both matched up at 34.5 miles per gallon. Mostly a highway commute to work, but some mixed driving. Not bad for not being broken in yet!
  • At the moment (2600mi) my '06 cobalt LS 2.2L 5-spd manual has gotten no less than 34.1mpg on any fill-ups. (Im not terribly light on the peddle either) Most trips are 50miles to work and 50 miles back w/ highway and city travel mixed. I did get 43.5mpg on one of the trips I went on a few weekends ago!(Checked it w/ the fill-up and the computer, its right!)
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    What a shocker! Not one automatic driver posting?

What kind of highway mileage can you expect with the 4-speed automatic?
  • I have an SS sedan auto with 1500 miles and it says around 20 mpg avg for mixed driving. And that's barely moving LA traffic driving. At this point I'm hoping my car has some sort of correctable mechanical problem because this is just bad. What's going on?
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    At merely 1,500 miles, your new engine's not even half run-in yet. Keep in mind that in L.A. urban crawl, when you're stopped, you're getting ZERO mpg. Even when it's moving (well, at least "moving" in terms of urban L.A.) it still won't compare with traffic conditions in east Possum Trot on a Sunday morning at 9:30 A.M. with it's one stop sign and everyone except the town drunk in church.
  • mi1mi1 Posts: 1
    rented cobalt LS auto for 8 days mi to myrtle beach 14 hours 895 mi, total avg 33mpg ,engine had 4500 mi on engine
    quite comfortable handled well and quick
  • alpine1alpine1 Posts: 51
    I rented a 2006 Cobalt LS 4 Dr sedan which had 23K miles and auto transmission on a recent trip to Seattle, WA. I averaged 30 MPG (according to the car's computer) over 800 miles with about 75/25 freeway/city driving. The handling was excellent and the ABS (with "brake assist") was outstanding. The car had Pirelli tires which probably helped with the handling. I am very pleased with both the MPG and the handling!
  • I have a 2007 SS Supercharged 5 speed and I am getting 31 MPG on the highway and around 27 in town.
  • Sorry I forgot my car only has 1500 miles on it,so it should get better when it is broke in.
  • I heard that GM is going to stop making the cobalt,is this true?
    Yes GM will stop making the Cobalt one day.
    Please be more specific and list a source.
  • I live in Ohio not far from the Lordstown plant where the cobalt is built,and it was on my local news.
    You probably misheard something about this:

http://www.tribune-chronicle.com/Business/articles.asp?articleID=11505

It will probably be several more years before they stop building the Cobalt.
    If they are building the Cobalt or Cobalt parts in more than one factory, they might close one and keep building them in others.
  • I was not the only one that heard this my brother also heard it.They are not going to stop building them today, they said in a few years,GM wants to try and build something in its plase.I will try to go to the news channels web site and see if I can find something there.
  • ron_mron_m Posts: 188
    I was not the only one that heard this my brother also heard it.They are not going to stop building them today, they said in a few years,GM wants to try and build something in its plase.I will try to go to the news channels web site and see if I can find something there.

Although I don't own a Cobalt myself, I do like the coupe and sedan versions of the car. Unfortunately for GM, Consumer Reports has the sedan's reliability rated below the industry average; which can be the kiss of death for an automobile in America. Regardless of what you may think about CR's methodologies for evaluating motor vehicles, a staggering number of CR readers/subscribers put a lot of stock into what the magazine says. That's just one problem for the Cobalt. Stiff competition from the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Nissan Versa, Ford Focus and Mazda 3 make for a tough row to hoe in regards to GM's ability to compete in the small economy sedan segment. But even with these things working against GM, the Cobalt has still actually sold fairly well. In order for GM to become the industry leader in the small economy sedan segment, they will have to come out with a Cobalt replacement that is as good or better than the Civic, Corolla, and Mazda 3.

Ron M.
    Well, stopping building them years down the road is a not surprising at all.
  • I agree with you,it seems kind of silly to me that they would stop building the cobalt after they put all that money in the Lordstown plant so they could build it after the caviler was built there.