Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt Real World MPG

Comments

• okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    if the dealership provides the mobil 1 it will cost you about 9.00 bucks a court :shades:
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    My dealership changes the oil and filter for $10 when you bring your own oil and your own filter.

Tom
  • this is relatively sudden, within the past 2 months ive noticed the gas was getting smaller. But it may have been gradual for all i know >.>;
  • So you really don't know. Rather than playing guessing games as I said, the reasons are vast. Try my original suggestion, then see what if any difference is made.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/api.aspx?zo=1473695

If anything it should be done once or twice a year anyway.
  • Maybe its the driver.
    As someone else asked you, have you actually checked the gas mileage manually, or are you simply going by the indicated mileage on the DIC?

You should check the mileage manually before you do anything else.

If the car has really dropped to the kind of mileage you are seeing on the DIC, then it should be running rough, or it should have gotten extremely sluggish on acceleration, or both. If it seem to run as smooth as ever and has the same acceleration that it has always had, then I strongly suspect that you are getting a false low mileage reading on the DIC for some reason.

Check your mileage manually and let us know what you get, OK?

Oh, how many miles on the car, and what are your driving conditions? Have your driving conditions changed since the days when you were getting hight MPG?

Tom
    Man, those are sure SMALL filters on the Ecotec engines, huh? I'm not sure I would feel very safe going more than 5K on those puppies. I had thought about switching to Mobil 1 at 10K miles and then going 10K between changes. If I did, I might want to change the filter at 5K.

I guess there might be just as much paper in these filters as in some of the small spin-ons. We just don't see how little paper is in the spin-ons, because of the can.

Tom
    The DIC was showing 29.1 MPG average for this tank of gas, but the manual calculation worked out to 28.2 MPG.

It looks like I am going to be able to count on getting 28.0 to 29.5 MPG on my normal mix of driving.

Considering that my mix is 15% to 20% in-town driving, and none of it is Interstate or Parkway driving, I am pretty happy with the mileage I am getting.

Tom
  • On the first tank in town I averaged 23.2. I'll take it to Dallas in November -400 miles - and we can see what it does on the road.
    I have never run out a tank of gas with all city driving, but that 23.2 doesn't sound too bad for all city. The EPA estimate is 22 MPG for city, right?

Are you happy with that mileage?

Tom
  • I assume that it will improve when it gets broken in. Compared to a 1999 Century (17) and my 2003 DeVille (15) it is great. The best thing about the car (compared to Toyotas and other Japanese compacts) is the ride. I don't see much difference from the 2006 Impala I had. Obviously there is no comparison with the Cadillac but for a small car it rides very well. Toyotas are stiff and uncomfortable at least for me. The Yaris is horrible -the front seat doesn't go back far enough. The Chevrolet HHR isn't much better. Very small-feeling and cramped.
  • Actually -"city" out here (Clovis NM) isn't really city bumper to bumper driving like I had for years in Washington DC. When we were in Kauai in January with a 2008 Cobalt rental car we averaged about 28 in road (50 mph maximum) and small town driving. Around here we probably average about 20 mph with city streets, some stop lights, stop signs etc. It would be like suburban driving elsewhere.
    I got 28.8 MPG on my last fill-up for my regular driving.

Tom
    I took a 265 mile (each way) trip yesterday and checked gas mileage. The pump failed to shut off automatically when I filled up on the other end of the trip, and a good amount of gas overflowed before I could get back over to the nozzle and shut it off. I was on the other side of the car getting ready to clean the windshield when I heard the splashing noise. The last time I made the same trip, I averaged 33.7 MPG.

I did a little experiment as I drove across I 64 in southern Illinois between the Wabash River and Mt. Vernon. I reset the average MPG on the DIC and drove a steady 70 MPG for 15 miles, and the MPG reading was 32.7 at the end of those miles. I reset it again and drove a steady 60 MPH for about ten miles (had to stop at a rest area) and got 37.5 for an average MPG for those miles.

Tom
  • I have an 08 Cobalt coupe XFE. The car has 4500 miles on it and the mileage has been about the same for me since mile 1. I get about 30 City and 38 Highway. I got 42 on an 90 mile trip but only once. Most of my driving is mixed so I generally get 34 tank to tank. I calculate mileage manually and use the DIC and find that my calculation is ususally within 0.5 mpg but the DIC has displayed as much as 3 mpg lower. Probably due to where I stopped when I fill.

Ben
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    That's right!

Your DIC reading is always based on your last hour of driving. So if you did lots of "stop and go" during that last hours it goes down.
    "That's right!

Your DIC reading is always based on your last hour of driving. So if you did lots of "stop and go" during that last hours it goes down."

I didn't know that! That's good to know, but I would prefer that it just kept averaging from the last time it was reset.

Thanks.

Tom
  • Well I guess my 38 MPG that I was getting earlier is confirmed.....
    Horsey :-)
    I can see that it would be possible to average 38 MPG on strictly highway driving, with the speed held to around 60 MPH, which is pretty much what you said your typical driving conditions are.

You should be a happy camper to be getting that kind of mileage.

I have to admit that it was a little hard to believe at first. :)

Tomster