Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt Real World MPG

Comments

• okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    if the dealership provides the mobil 1 it will cost you about 9.00 bucks a court :shades:
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    My dealership changes the oil and filter for $10 when you bring your own oil and your own filter.

Tom
  • this is relatively sudden, within the past 2 months ive noticed the gas was getting smaller. But it may have been gradual for all i know >.>;
  • So you really don't know. Rather than playing guessing games as I said, the reasons are vast. Try my original suggestion, then see what if any difference is made.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/api.aspx?zo=1473695

If anything it should be done once or twice a year anyway.
  • Maybe its the driver.
    As someone else asked you, have you actually checked the gas mileage manually, or are you simply going by the indicated mileage on the DIC?

You should check the mileage manually before you do anything else.

If the car has really dropped to the kind of mileage you are seeing on the DIC, then it should be running rough, or it should have gotten extremely sluggish on acceleration, or both. If it seem to run as smooth as ever and has the same acceleration that it has always had, then I strongly suspect that you are getting a false low mileage reading on the DIC for some reason.

Check your mileage manually and let us know what you get, OK?

Oh, how many miles on the car, and what are your driving conditions? Have your driving conditions changed since the days when you were getting hight MPG?

Tom
    Man, those are sure SMALL filters on the Ecotec engines, huh? I'm not sure I would feel very safe going more than 5K on those puppies. I had thought about switching to Mobil 1 at 10K miles and then going 10K between changes. If I did, I might want to change the filter at 5K.

I guess there might be just as much paper in these filters as in some of the small spin-ons. We just don't see how little paper is in the spin-ons, because of the can.

Tom
    The DIC was showing 29.1 MPG average for this tank of gas, but the manual calculation worked out to 28.2 MPG.

It looks like I am going to be able to count on getting 28.0 to 29.5 MPG on my normal mix of driving.

Considering that my mix is 15% to 20% in-town driving, and none of it is Interstate or Parkway driving, I am pretty happy with the mileage I am getting.

Tom
  • On the first tank in town I averaged 23.2. I'll take it to Dallas in November -400 miles - and we can see what it does on the road.
    I have never run out a tank of gas with all city driving, but that 23.2 doesn't sound too bad for all city. The EPA estimate is 22 MPG for city, right?

Are you happy with that mileage?

Tom
  • I assume that it will improve when it gets broken in. Compared to a 1999 Century (17) and my 2003 DeVille (15) it is great. The best thing about the car (compared to Toyotas and other Japanese compacts) is the ride. I don't see much difference from the 2006 Impala I had. Obviously there is no comparison with the Cadillac but for a small car it rides very well. Toyotas are stiff and uncomfortable at least for me. The Yaris is horrible -the front seat doesn't go back far enough. The Chevrolet HHR isn't much better. Very small-feeling and cramped.
  • Actually -"city" out here (Clovis NM) isn't really city bumper to bumper driving like I had for years in Washington DC. When we were in Kauai in January with a 2008 Cobalt rental car we averaged about 28 in road (50 mph maximum) and small town driving. Around here we probably average about 20 mph with city streets, some stop lights, stop signs etc. It would be like suburban driving elsewhere.
    I got 28.8 MPG on my last fill-up for my regular driving.

Tom
    I took a 265 mile (each way) trip yesterday and checked gas mileage. The pump failed to shut off automatically when I filled up on the other end of the trip, and a good amount of gas overflowed before I could get back over to the nozzle and shut it off. I was on the other side of the car getting ready to clean the windshield when I heard the splashing noise. The last time I made the same trip, I averaged 33.7 MPG.

I did a little experiment as I drove across I 64 in southern Illinois between the Wabash River and Mt. Vernon. I reset the average MPG on the DIC and drove a steady 70 MPG for 15 miles, and the MPG reading was 32.7 at the end of those miles. I reset it again and drove a steady 60 MPH for about ten miles (had to stop at a rest area) and got 37.5 for an average MPG for those miles.

Tom
  • I have an 08 Cobalt coupe XFE. The car has 4500 miles on it and the mileage has been about the same for me since mile 1. I get about 30 City and 38 Highway. I got 42 on an 90 mile trip but only once. Most of my driving is mixed so I generally get 34 tank to tank. I calculate mileage manually and use the DIC and find that my calculation is ususally within 0.5 mpg but the DIC has displayed as much as 3 mpg lower. Probably due to where I stopped when I fill.

Ben
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    That's right!

Your DIC reading is always based on your last hour of driving. So if you did lots of "stop and go" during that last hours it goes down.
    "That's right!

Your DIC reading is always based on your last hour of driving. So if you did lots of "stop and go" during that last hours it goes down."

I didn't know that! That's good to know, but I would prefer that it just kept averaging from the last time it was reset.

Thanks.

Tom
  • Well I guess my 38 MPG that I was getting earlier is confirmed.....
    Horsey :-)
    I can see that it would be possible to average 38 MPG on strictly highway driving, with the speed held to around 60 MPH, which is pretty much what you said your typical driving conditions are.

You should be a happy camper to be getting that kind of mileage.

I have to admit that it was a little hard to believe at first. :)

Tomster
    Weather has cooled off, so the engine is running cold for a longer time on start-ups. I guess that would explain the slight drop in MPG.

Stupid coal trucks! I got behind one this AM on my way to work and heard some fine particles hitting my car. When I got to work and looked at the front end of my car, there were fine particles of wet coal dust. I went to a touchless car wash that probably stripped off the nice coat of wax that I had just put on my Cobalt a couple weeks ago. :(

I should have known better than to get that close to the back of a coal truck, but I was intending to pass him. It was the two lane road that I travel every day on the way to work. I'll just stay back and not try to pass next time.

Tom
    Very happy with that mileage. This was my usual mix of driving, two lane rural roads with hills, curves, and three stop signs before reaching the town where I work, some miles in town at lunch time, and then the drive back home in the evening. No bumper to bumper city driving, but no interstate cruising, either.

Tom
    I went back up to Illinois yesterday, and this time I only got 32.8 MPG for the round trip. I drove faster than I did last time, so I traded some MPG for some MPH. :)

Also, I should have aired up my tries before the trip, but I waited until today to inflate them to the recommended 30 psi. They were down to 26 or 27 psi cold pressure. The cooler weather caused the tire pressure to go down, and I should have aired up sooner. Proper inflation might have given me a mile or so to the gallon better fuel economy.

The onboard air pressure sensors are pretty accurate. They were telling me that I had 26-27 psi tire pressure, and that is exactly what my tire pressure gauge was showing when I aired up this afternoon.

Tom
    How fast does your Cobalt want to run? It seems that every time I let my mind wander a little and stop monitoriog my speed when I am on interstates or parkways, I find that I am doing 80 MPH.

I worry about getting a ticket, and, of course, driving 80 MPH doesn't help gas mileage. These little Cobalts sure like go fast, don't they?

Anyone have any recommendations for brands of aftermarket cruise control, or for where to have it installed? How much should I plan on spending?

Thanks.

Tom
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    You are right, it's easy to let the MPH slip up, since the car is quiet and the engine RPM are low (at least on the automatic, presumably on the stick shift too, with the new XFE gearing).

My "ex," the Honda Fit, was hard to drive over 75 mph, since it felt busy and nervous, not to mention a little loud, above 75 mph. It is the first (and possibly the last) car I've driven to LA from SF and kept under 75 all the way. Got terrific gas mileage though!

I kind of want to drive the Cobalt down to LA to see what kind of mileage I get. I might keep it down to 75, both for safety and to find out how it compares to the Fit. While I don't expect 38 mpg, I'd like to see what I get.

I am liking the new Cobalt so much I am thinking about trading the Versa in on a 5 speed manual version of the Cobalt. 5 speeds are a lot easy to find on dealers' lots these days, thanks to the (now fading) gas crisis. It would be super cool to have a 37 mpg freeway rated car that is (i) quiet and (ii) does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds, according to Car and Driver's recent test.

I'd be tempted to outfit it with some high performance tires (in the same size as factory) and have a little "sleeper" sporty car.

Unfortunately the 5 speeds are hard to find with cruise control or even ABS. I have mixed feelings about ABS. The research indicates it does NOT add to safety - but the research admits the lack of safety improvement may be due to operator misuse (reacting to the ABS "judder" by lifting off the brake). I feel I can break adequately well on dry surface, especially with grippy tires and the soft brake compound on the '09 Cobalt, but always worry about wet surfaces. There, I'd rather have the computer optimizing the braking for me. Eventually, I suppose, I won't ever buy another car without ABS, then I won't ever buy one without stability control...
  • I don't mean to be a doubter/naysayer, but if Toyota can barely eke 35 mpg out of a 1.8 liter Corolla, then I absolutely don't believe that Chevrolet can magically produce 37 mpg out of a 2.2 liter Cobalt.

In fact, Honda just manages to squeek out 37 mpg from their minuscule 1.5 liter Fit model, so this 37 mpg is suspect, to say the least. (And since when was CHEVY the authority on ECONOMY?? Please.)

From where did this amazing fuel economy magically appear??

Bottom line: Chevrolet, I don't believe you. I think this is a publicity stunt.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Posts: 184
    I get over 35 with my 05 Cobalt W/Auto. Thus 37 should not be hard to believe with a stick.

Engine size doesn't mean everything but then doubters will always be around. LOL
  • I purchased my 2009 xfe cobalt around 2 months ago. I now have 3200 miles on it and have been waiting to drive for awhile before i would comment. However, i must say that this little car is something else on the gas mileage. When i get on the freeway and go 65 miles a hour, i am averaging about 45 mpg. No kidding folks. I have been on the same 130 mile trip to pick my daughter up at college and the gas mileage is great. I bought this car because i needed something affordable to drive and my only complaint is that the back seat is too small and the front seats are not very comfortable. I really would of liked a honda civic however it wasnt in my price range.
    thanks
  • "From where did this amazing fuel economy magically appear??

Bottom line: Chevrolet, I don't believe you. I think this is a publicity stunt. "

37MPG is the EPA estimated highway mileage. It is NOT Chevrolet's number. Manufacturers do not post their own mileage estimates on the window sticker.

Here is a link so you can view the full report:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/FEG2009.pdf

Here is a line from the report to help you better understand the nature of the EPA testing program.

"These fuel economy estimates are based on laboratory testing.
    All vehicles are tested in the same manner to allow fair
    comparisons."

Unfortunately, perception reigns over reality for many people when it comes to cars. However, EPA mileage testing and estimates are extremeely objective and unbiased. Believe it!
  • Well if these numbers are indeed true then I'm impressed. But it leads me to ask some questions:

1. If these tweaks to tires, gear ratios, etc were so minor (ie: it wasn't accomplished with a radical new engine design) then why did it take Chevy so long to produce it?

2. If Chevy was capable of accomplishing this, why are they, along with GM, Chrysler and Ford, bitching and moaning about trouble meeting higher EPA standards??

3. If Chevy can accomplish this then why on earth can't Toyota and Honda et al?? Has the world turned upside down?

Needless to say, I'm utterly befuddled by this information.