Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX vs. Mazda6 s Grand Touring

Comments

• baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    Torque steer may not exist because the Duratec's torque is unimpressive.

Hey, I'll be the first one to complain about the lack of torque in Mazda's version of the Duratec30 but since it's still enough to generate sub-seven second 0-60 times I'm not going to complain too much. ;)

And Honda's excellent V6 takes regular fuel and makes much better torque, HP and fuel economy than the Duratec.

Depends on which version you're talking about. IIRC the Acura versions all take 91 or higher.

I think we're reaching the HP limit for FWD vehicles anyway.

Ain't that the truth! And GM is trying to prove us right with every new SS badge they stick on their FWD beasts. :surprise:
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    The reason I said "ridiculous" above is because it's not my opinion that the TSX doesn't need to be kept above 6K to pass or merge, it's fact.

Fact: ALL cars have the ability to pass or merge under 6K RPM. That's a given.

Opinion: The TSX wasn't comfortable enough FOR ME to pass or merge at only 3-5K RPM, the rev band that the V6 in the 6 really kicks in. I simply didn't feel it, that's all.
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Posts: 620
    I don't much agree with this comparo (I4 vs V6), but okay.

Anyways, IMO, since we are going to compare them, let's look at 5 year life.

TCO on a Mazda 6 s Grand touring assuming a purchase price of 24k and some change is 42,950 over 5 years.

TCO on a Acura TSX 5at with Navigation assuming a purchase price of 29.7k is 41,530 over 5 years.

No navi on TSX? TCO drops to 39,930 over 5 years.

Personally, I enjoy the TSX I have owned it for 2.5 years now, and have had no issues merging, enjoy the great handling, but hate the cost of tires. Yes I have driven a mazda 6, and the 4cyl is gutless IMO. the v6? I would be comparing it to a TL (TL w/ Navi TCO is 47,640 BTW) So I would say that if initial cost is your forte, then go for the 6, if long term is your goal, I would(have) personally go for the Acura, just depends on how much you want to pony up for the initial cost and monthly payments.

Standard Features: pretty comprable, but I love my HID's if you want, you can buy for only an extra $1000(??) or so

Crash tests (you know, cause the average person get's into an accident every 3-5 years).... IIHS specs.
    Acura TSX.. Front offset - good Side - Average
    Mazda 6.. Front offset - good Side - Poor
    To be fair, the Mazda 6 tested did not have side or curtain airbags....

NHTSA specs -
    Same thing, frontal both 5 star, mazda 6 not equipped w/ SAB or curtains.

when I bought the '04, the Camry, IS300, Mazda6, G35, C240, and a 530xi(?) were all compared for me and I made a happy medium decision for the TSX. Only car right now I would look at would be either a G35X or IS250AWD... :blush:
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    Crash tests (you know, cause the average person get's into an accident every 3-5 years).... IIHS specs.
    Acura TSX.. Front offset - good Side - Average
    Mazda 6.. Front offset - good Side - Poor
    To be fair, the Mazda 6 tested did not have side or curtain airbags....

Yeah, you really can't go by those scores for the 6 anymore as side curtains and side air bags are now standard. They were in fact optional when that test was administered as you said.
  • sglsgl Posts: 6
    I looked at both the Grand Sport and TSX for my son. Pricing on the Grand Sport was great. A new Mazda6 S Grand Sport for 22.4K is hard to beat. I compared it to the TSX w/o navigation. A 2006 demo with 5K miles for 25.4. Both were very nice cars, obviously one was 3K more expensive. What sold me was the feel of quality of the Acura. The Mazda was very nice and great for the money, but just didn't convey the feel of quality that the Acura did. I also suspect that someday at trade-in time, I might make up a lot of that 3 thousand dollar difference.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    The TSX is a lux car. It should feel like higher quality. If it does not, there would be a problem.
  • jg88jg88 Posts: 59
    Since I am driving a company car, it's an '06 Base Ford Taurus, last of the Taurus fleet, I have to drive vicariously thru friends and family. (Just bought a used '02 RSX/S for my 16 YO to drive and as a 3rd set of wheels for family use. Family ride is an '04 Ford Expy EB.)

About 2 months ago, a very good friend decided he wanted a new commuter ride, wanted it to hold four comfortably, have great safety ratings, good gas mileage, an auto tranny for wife who doesn't drive stick, a high level of fun-to-drive and keep it under 30K all up and in. We narrowed it down to a TSX, an A-4 2.0, 325 and Mazda 6 (at my suggestion). The 330, A4 3.0, TL, G35 and IS were out of the price range.

My friend, son and I went off on a Saturday to go test driving in the north Houston area. The three of us total about 535 pounds so with the car sales person, we would easily be able to put any car through it's paces performance wise. My son and I are 6"2 and 6'0' respectively and we were the oficial back seat testers. :)

Drove all 4 cars in one day. All 4 are great rides and had many fine features. It was quickly evident that the 325 and A4 would be hard to price justify once we added the options that Jack (the friend) wanted the car to have even if they could be bought at dealer cost. It was going to come down to the 6 and TSX for reasons of cost even tho the BMW and A4 are great cars -- they definitely were too far out of the price range.

We drove on I-45 for highway driving, and also on back roads with turns and stop and go driving.

Handling - TSX
    Ride -- TSX
    Noise -- TSX
    Purchase Price -- 6
    Resale -- TSX
    TCO -- ?
    Front Seats -- TSX
    Back seat -- 6 and TSX both beat the a4 and 325 -- tie
    Overall interior -- TSX
    Controls, Climate etc -- TSX
    Sound System -- TSX
    Acceleration -- 6, TSX was no slouch tho even loaded w/4
    Steering -- TSX
    Projected Gas mileage and costs -- projected tie
    Tranny -- TSX for both auto and manu-matic modes
    Looks -- TSX (subjective, but we 3 were unaminous)

Overall, we all liked the TSX best. This is no indictment of the 6, which I would prefer over an Accord EX. We had plenty of room in both and the trunk was fine for golf clubs. Jack and I liked the parchment/wood look interior best, son liked the quartz/aluminum look. Interestingly, I also drove the Mazda 3 sedan with a 5 speed manual that day -- GT/2.3 and was extremely impressed. I have to say that I would prefer the 3s with the 2.3 4 over the 6 with the auto/v6 for overall driving. My take is that it was more fun to drive.

If I ever lose the company ride, I would be hard pressed not to pick a TSX myself. Very nice combination of sport and luxury and less than the cost of a comparable 3 or a4 by a lot. I'd take a perverse pleasure in drivng a car under the radar screen like a 6 or a TSX that I know has a much better price/performance ratio than the comparably sized German rides and also isn't sitting at every traffic light you come upon.

OK, so what did Jack buy? He bought a brand new Toyota FJ in bright yellow. Why? To haul his new boat. He decided to update the family vehicle instead and keep an older vehicle for commuting.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    He made a good choice. I, too, would select a TSX over a Mazda6 (2.3L or 3.0L). The TSX is more refined.

On the other hand, I opted to trade my '04 TSX in for an '06 MazdaSpeed6 (2.3L turbocharged motor), which edged out the TSX because of its incredible power.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Posts: 425
    regarding crash tests, it's worth noting that the tests conducted for europe on the 6 did test it with side airbags and found the 6 to do better in side impacts than frontal. considering the frontal impacts by US groups were found to be very good, I was pleased to find these results. to be fair, the european test uses a lighter sled for side impacts than the tests in the US, which I think i remember hearing is designed to simulate an SUV.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Posts: 425
    Most of the main issues have been covered reasonably fairly so far so I'll avoid going over this ground again. One aspect that was of some importance to me when buying was looking at utility. On occasion, my work requires me to haul some fairly large displays and in my time off I like to take my mountain bike and power tools. So flexible hauling capacity was of value to me which made the hatchback option on the 6 the deal sealer for me.

Originally, I thought I was going to end up with a legacy gt wagon, but after seeing the styling on the 6 hatchback combined with the better braking and having less body roll than the legacy, it was just a matter of getting the right price. I've had the 6 now for almost a year and am finding it a very fun car to drive while having great flexibility in what I can take with me. And I'm happy I don't have to look like a "soccer mom" while driving it!
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Posts: 209
    I think that the TSX and Mazda6 are both good vehicles, so I occasionally 'tune in' to see how people are enjoying these cars. When we were buying a new ride for my wife, the finalists were the Mazda6, TSX and Audi A4. Our Audi has been flawless, but eventually it will be time to buy again. It's great to have many good alternatives to choose from.
  • Mazda is underrated as an innovator in car design. If Acura was so wonderful and the interior of the 6 has "american style bland guages." Why did Acura "knock off" the Mazda horizontal display band in both the TL and the TSX? Don't know, ask Honda! BTW the five pointed "semi-triangle" with the logo in the middle was also knocked off from mazda. Mazda started using it around 1999 or 1998 with the Protege and Millenias. The last generation TL's and TSX's copied that as well.
  • Test Drove Both when I bought my car. Both are great cares. I had my heart set on the Acura. Dollar For Dollar, I ended up with a 6s base trim. I liked it almost as much as the Acura. The Acura looks and feels more upscale. However, the Mazda was 24.5k msrp, with 3500 in incentives i got it for less than 20k. The Acura was therefore about 7k more than the 6 cyl 6s. I couldn't justify the additional money especially for a car that wasn't as fast and was no better handling. I bought the mazda 6. I love it.

Its not the "s Grand Touring" like the post says, but i drove the Grand Touring and found it jittery with the 18" wheels. I liked the ride of the 17" wheels and the no spoiler look better. Thats the only difference.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    "Why did Acura "knock off" the Mazda horizontal display band in both the TL and the TSX?"

Actually, the Mazda "horizontal display band" is a travesty with the clock, radio, and HVAC information presented in red LED's, all crowded next to each other with no association to the panel that controls that function.

Acura has individual, backlit displays for radio, clock, and HVAC information organized in an easy to read and logical manner.

Which do you think is more attractive and easier to read?

Oh, by the way - this is the way Honda has been doing it since the 1991 Acura Legend.

Still looks modern even after 15 years!
    Actually ,that is totally subjective. IMHO, all of the Mazda vehicle information, not related to the engine, is located in one, easy to read area. Your eyes do not have to search for information displays that distract you from what you are supposed to be paying attention to, which is DRIVING.

The red digital (not LED) screen is better for your eyes to read, in all lighting conditions.
    That is scientifically proven.

I really do not see any correlation between the 91 Legend and TSX interior, and no different then the Accord of that year. Really no different then any other [non-permissible content removed] car of that time, including the Mazda 626
    "Actually ,that is totally subjective."

Yes, it is subjective. But here's why I disagree. If, for example, you want to know the temperature, what's easier to do? Look at the HVAC and read "72" or look at the center display, read "6:41!FM1 CH4 98.7! 89" and recognize that 89 is the temperature? No big deal, but it is my personal preference.

"The red digital (not LED) screen is better for your eyes to read, in all lighting conditions. That is scientifically proven."

No, you're wrong. Please do a little reading on "Purkinje Shift" and "Night Presbyopia" before you show me one of the scientific studies you reviewed.

"I really do not see any correlation between the 91 Legend and TSX interior."

Look at the center stack of the two Acura's again. The clock is at the top center by itself. The HVAC display is in the center next to the climate controls, and the radio display is beneath, next to the audio controls.
    "BTW the five pointed "semi-triangle" with the logo in the middle was also knocked off from mazda. Mazda started using it around 1999 or 1998 with the Protege and Millenias. The last generation TL's and TSX's copied that as well."

You better check again and see who copied who...

91 Mazda 929 (no hood emblem)

91 Acura Integra ("caliper" hood emblem)

92 Mazda 929 (hood emblem look familiar?)

06 Acura TSX (still "caliper" hood emblem)

Acura, like all car makes, evolves the style/appearance of the emblems periodically to keep up with evolving car designs. Acura started with the "caliper" and has kept with it to this day. Mazda started with no emblem at all and quickly jumped on the bandwagon, as illustrated in the pictures above. In 1999, Mazda changed to the current emblem design, in an attempt to give the brand a more upmarket appearance after the relative poor sales of the Millenia and, more importantly, the inability to create a luxury brand ("Amati") modeled after Honda's success with Acura (and Toyota's subsequent success with Lexus).

Don't get me wrong - I love Mazda's. They make the sportiest, purest, most soulful Japanese cars out there. They have simply been challenged with marketing, production, cashflow, and quality issues while Honda and Toyota have simply enjoyed unchallenged global dominance. If I were a Mazda executive, I'd copy Honda/Acura too.
  • Don't get me wrong - I love Mazda's. They make the sportiest, purest, most soulful Japanese cars out there. They have simply been challenged with marketing, production, cashflow, and quality issues...

I'll agree with the miserable marketing, but I've heard of no production issues since the fire at the Mazda3 plant. Cashflow isn't a problem, since they're pretty much the only car company that's both partly owned by Ford and MAKING money.

If I were a Mazda executive, I'd copy Honda/Acura too.

They did, in the early to mid '90s, and they lost marketshare and $$$, to the point where if Ford didn't step in, they would have left the US. Mazda has a good thing going with offering sporty, performance-oriented products at a reasonable price, instead of the plain vanilla offerings from Toyota and Honda. "BMW on a budget" is what I've heard more than once, and I agree.
    No, you're wrong. Please do a little reading on "Purkinje Shift" and "Night Presbyopia" before you show me one of the scientific studies you reviewed.

Any one that needs corrected vision due to astigmatism, or similar conditions, has an easier time seeing red, rather then any shade of blue, if corrective eye ware is not being used. When I find that study, I'll post.
    "I've heard of no production issues since the fire at the Mazda3 plant."

I actually didn't know about the fire. I was referring to their relatively small production numbers compared to Honda/Toyota. I think of Mazda as an almost "niche" builder - by Japanese standards.

"the only car company that's both partly owned by Ford and MAKING money."

Agreed, Their relationship with Ford has been a good deal for them.

""BMW on a budget"

I'll agree with that too. The Miata and RX-8 are two of the finest sports cars on the market.
This discussion has been closed.