Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX vs. Mazda6 s Grand Touring

124»

Comments

• Stumbled across this thread while researching my own 6 vs TSX dilemma. Now that we know the pros and cons, let's throw price into the mix.

I found a 2007 Mazda6 S sport (automatic, leather, heated seats, sunroof, no spoiler and no fancy headlights) with 250 miles (yes 2-5-0; pre owned) for $20,400.

The other option in the same price range is a 2004 TSX with 43k miles, manual tran, no navi, for $18900. I love manual transmissions.

I know the TSX is a "nicer" car but then again I'd have to drive the Mazda for 3 years until I reached that same mileage number. Plus I get a new car warranty left on the 6.

Guys help me out, I need a car! Thanks fellas.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    as a lover of manual transmission cars I would end up being unhappy with the mazda-not the car itself the fact it is automatic. If if were MT the choice would be a easy one.If you look you probably can get an 04 MT tsx/w nav for that amount or maybe less.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    Have you been able to find a 6 with a manual?
  • Well, I thought that maybe I'd be ok with the autostick on the Mazda as a compromise? It's funny, the first car I test drove on this journey was a 4-cyl Mazda 6 and since it was manual I thought it was fun as all get-out to drive. So that's a factor, but not a deciding one.

Anyway, let's just forget about the transmissions for a while; all other things being equal which would you go with?

I drive the TSX later tonight; only drove one thus far vs. about 4 or 5 flavors of the Mazda6. Maybe one more spin in the TSX will help me decide either way.
    the o4 tsx is the first production year on that model so it has some problems. go to the tsx club forum to read what owners have to say. I own an 06 tsx which has more goodies on it- memory seats, power seats for both driver and passenger and more. I do love the car but we also had luck with the mazda- a 1991 mx-6 gt. sold it last year with 250,000 miles with the original turbo, clutch, engine and it ran excellant. our choices when deciding on our car purchase were a mazdaspeed 6 or the tsx. the dealer had one ms 6-no sunroof, no nav and it was silver. I wanted red,sunroof and nav so I bought the tsx. good luck with your decision-both are great cars
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    Anyway, let's just forget about the transmissions for a while; all other things being equal which would you go with?

Well, I can't give you an answer to that without being unbiased, since I'm a VERY happy owner of a '04 Mazda6S with a V6 and manual. With over 54K miles, the only issue has been a faulty gas cap that tripped a Check Engine Light, replaced under warranty. I still smile when I walk out to my car every morning, and I plan to well after the car hits 100K miles.

I did test-drive the TSX a few times, and it was a very nice car, especially with the 6-speed. I couldn't swallow the $26.5K price for a 4-cylinder though, compared to a V6 that I got for $4K+ less than that.

My opinion? Don't settle for the automatic if a manual is essential for you (as it was for me). BTW, a 4-cylinder Mazda6i can be had with a manual for the same price as the used 6 (or even less), brand new...
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Posts: 211
    They are both good cars. When we shopped for my wife, the finalists were the TSX, Mazda6, and Audi 4. We eliminated the TSX (2004 model) because the front passenger seat wasn't right (I think it was kinda low) and the dealership had an attitude ("if you are lucky we will sell you one at list plus price"). We eliminated the Mazda6 (2004 also) because the interior looked cheap. When I shopped for a new car for myself, I went to the MazdaSpeed6; less expensive than the TSX with as many goodies as the Audi. But again, they are all good cars; any particular feature may be critical for you. That 6 speed on the TSX was about the smoothest I have ever shifted.
  • dynatsx1dynatsx1 Posts: 10
    I test drove both a V6 Mazda6 with manual before deciding on purchasing my TSX with manual. I thought the Mazda6 was a good car, but if you are a manual transmission lover, there really is no comparison in the shift action of the two cars. The TSX has a great shifter (as I'm sure you've read and experienced), but the mazda6 shifter was closer to a truck I used to drive for work than the TSX - really notchy and a lot of play in the clutch. On the other hand, if you could live with an automatic, I'd go with the 6 - the auto on the TSX significantly diminshes the power and "fun ratio" of the car.
    i agree with you 100%-i was not impressed with the way the mazdaspeed 6 shifted. the tsx is smooth and easy. I thought I could live with an automatic 4 years ago-WRONG- went back to manual.
  • cnybrocnybro Posts: 29
    I was in the same position back in late 2004. I loved the TSX with the stick, but it was like $28K. Went over to Mazda and really liked the 6s Sportwagon and settled with the autostick tranny. What pushed me to the Mazda was a $6,500 rebate paying $21.5K total. I couldn't justitfy the price difference for the TSX. As others said, if you can get that price lowered on the used TSX by another $1K then I would go for it. It's a higher quality vehicle and you won't regret it. To this day I walk by TSX's sometimes wishing I had bought it.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    And I wish Acura still sold the RSX.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    They do - it's called the Civic.
    I was thinking the same-the civic si coupe
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    No hatch, no RSX.

Great thing about Mazda6 GT was availability of hatch.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    That's true.
124»
This discussion has been closed.