Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Audio & Entertainment System Questions

happyfithappyfit Posts: 1
I've had my Fit for 2 weeks and am very happy with it. However, I am still perplexed by the Aux plug for the Ipod.

I was told by the salesperson that the Ipod would be charging as it was playing. This does not seem to be the case. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to buy a car charger to use while playing the Ipod?

I also have to put the volume all the way up on my Ipod to be able to hear it through the speakers. Is this normal??

Thanks

Comments

• mebmanmebman Posts: 100
    Yes, the IPOD cable is a separate and proprietary connection from the aux/mp3 plug next to the power outlet.
    The stereo on the sport has controls that directly do all the ipod functions such as folder navigation while charging your ipod at the same time. The aux jack next to the power outlet is an input jack that will play from any source with a walkman (3.5mm) jack. (XM, ANY mp3 player etc.)But if you use the aux jack next to the power outlet you must control your tunes from whatever device you have plugged in.
    By the way after looking at the sport fit at the auto show I can answer someone’s question that the steering wheel does NOT telescope, it only moves up and down.
  • jonniedeejonniedee Posts: 111
    and the Honda IPOD cable ain't cheap - installed on an 06 civic it cost a friend over $300! A major portion of the dash has to come apart to install
    http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/8th_gen_civ_sedan/civic4drmusiclin- k.pdf
    Hope the Fit ain't so labor intensive but I'll bet it's quite the same when all is said and done :(
  • mebmanmebman Posts: 100
    Although I didn't see the ipod cable on the sport fit at the auto show, I believe that they took it off for the show so someone wouldn't steal it. My understanding is that the Sport model has the ipod cable already installed. The price for the cable from the dealer is for putting it on the base model.
    College Hills on their Fit accessory preview pages has the cable listed as a dealer installed option -
    My friends's loaded EX Civic did NOT come with it installed from the factory. :confuse:
    Nor does the NA Honda home page show it on any vehicle standard - even EX Accord has it shown as a dealer installed /inflated price option. Ipod Music Link is also optional on all Acura models that have it available...
  • brek1brek1 Posts: 19
    has anything changed as to whether or not the Ipod cable is dealer or factory installed?
    The Canadian Dealer's accessory list over at Fit Freak shows the iLink cable as a dealer installed option only...They're getting Fit at the very beginning of April In Canook land :mad: and already showing models at some dealerships - ALONG with factory printed accessory lists.
  • badfish1badfish1 Posts: 1
    Is there any means to perform folder navigation etc from a non-ipod device through the stereo controls? Understood regarding the limited utitlity of the aux jack. My MP3 is so small that it's kind of dangerous to try to use while driving.
  • In one word... "Nope."

The only way you get the folder navigation is through the iPod music link kit accessory. For non-iPod devices (and iPods, without the special kit), your only option is to use a double-male mini jack cable, and plug one end into your device's headphone port, and the other into the aux-input, next to the cupholders. At that point, all you are able to control is the volume through the head unit.
  • brek1brek1 Posts: 19
    it turns out the music link accessory is not compatible with 3rd generation Ipods. A huge selling point of the fit for me was this option.
  • Why not just buy a new, compatible iPod? Looked at as an accessory for the car, its cost is negliblible. You could even get a lot of it back by selling the 3rd gen on eBay.

The funny thing is, the attachment to control the iPod may actually cost more than the iPod itself...
  • cmkcmk Posts: 59
    What can you do with the MusicLink if you do not install their software? Can I play playlists? I don't care about search functions.
  • sd_driversd_driver Posts: 49
    For the experts here:

I’d like to a) “hotwire” the stereo in my Fit so I don’t need to have the key in the ignition to listen to it (BTW: I’ve never drained the battery listening to the stereo in my car); and b) have a “hotwire” rocker-switch to power the windows when the ignition is off.

Can this be done?

If, yes, is it simple enough for a good stereo installer to do?
  • I just got my car back from the dealer install and please please please, don't waste your money. I should have known when no one on the lot was familiar with it, but it is nothing like the marketing. The voice is horrible and never works and you can't see song titles or artists b/c nothing is displayed. Its awkard to manipulate. I am kicking myself for putting it into my Sport. I definitely feel like a sucker. Honda made a great car and a horrible accessory. :sick:
  • Agreed. I got this installed in my Civic yesterday and the Music Link is amazingly bad.

Avoid it and use the mini stereo jack if you have it.
  • drknifedrknife Posts: 25
    I recently had my 07 Fit Sport in the dealership shop having the HML(Honda Music Link) installed.
    I wrote a review about functionality and such.

check it out at http://drknife.com/blog/

One good thing, IT WORKS WITH OLD iPODs.
    The HML worked with my "4 button iPod".
  • giarcpnwgiarcpnw Posts: 1
    Hey, does the mini jack external jack come on all the Fit cars or only on the sport? I took a test drive in a base model yesterday and the litte jack on the center consol was not there. Had a plastic filler. I sat in a Sport and the jack was there with the rubber door cover. Just curious. I'm more interested in a base but i want that option if the Music Link suck so bad.

C
  • rxbrxb Posts: 6
    My Fit is waiting go get picked up and paid for. They installed the music link this week. From everything I've read the last couple of days it looks like even trying to use it will be an exercise in frustration that I paid $380 for. I wonder if I asked them to uninstall it and keep it they'd just charge me for the installation labor and not the part?
  • rxbrxb Posts: 6
    Someone posted in the Fit forum that music link works with his older ipod. He also links to his review, which describes how, without using the music link software, you can shuffle through albums, sort of using your ipod as a giant serial multi-cd changer. From what people have reported, this might be the least-frustrating way to use it, unless you have a huge number of albums on your ipod. Anyone have advice on this point?
  • If the Honda Music Link isn't worth the money, then do any of you have suggestions for what I should buy in order to use my ipod nano in my new Fit Sport? Is there anything on the market that would work in both the Fit and my 2000 CRV? Thanks.
  • jethadenjethaden Posts: 36
    Simply plug it in to the AUX jack on the front of the center console and run it as AUX. It should work just fine. You just have to control it by the IPOD, but that will not be that impossible while driving. Particularly if you start it going before starting to drive.