Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan Real World MPG

Comments

• This is precisely the data I am seeking. I know EPA estimates are just that...estimates. I like getting real-world feedback from owners like you because again, I am looking at 85-90% freeway driving and I would like to find a midsize car that will get me around 5-8 mpg better than my Nissan Maxima 6-speed. My Maxima gets good mileage considering it makes a cool 255 HP and with a 6-speed, will outperform pretty much any other mid-size car in its class. But at this point, I am looking for MPG above all else, including performance since that is usually the trade-off. However, I am not looking for a death-trap either. You know, life is a compromise. There are cars that get better MPG than the 4cyl. Fusion/Milan/Mazda6, but they are often smaller in size and lack content. There are cars that are certainly faster (my Maxima) but that comes at a price---MPG. I think overall, Fusion/Milan/Mazda6 is the best compromise, especially in 4 cyl. guise. I just need to collect info. on real world MPG.

Thanks for your contribution, I encourage others to chime in with their thoughts as well. ;)

--Gary
  • Yet another update. I crossed the 25,000 mile mark today and the computer shows 28.2 MPG and my hand calculations are slightly above 28.0 MPG so we're splitting hairs. Bear in mind, I drive about 80%-85% highway with a FWD V6. This MPG has been achieved driving at 60 MPH with cruise control and mostly avoiding hard accelerations. The car does get warmed up until the tachometer drops to normal idle speed, which may take a few minutes in winter.

There is a noticeable difference with the winter blend fuel here in the Northeast, deducting about 1.5 MPG.

I did hit the magical 30 MPG mark on two tanks during the summer when traffic was lighter but am struggling to get to 28 MPG now. I am hoping to see a rebound to a high average of 29.5 per the computer six months from now.

Until next time,
    Eric
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Driving about 85% CITY and not babying the car getting 25mpg combined.
  • fredvpfredvp Posts: 5
    I have had a 2008 SE with the AWD and 6 cyl since last year. I do
    about 40 miles a day. About 25 % city.driving. Average so far is
    22 mpg combined with about 4000 miles on it.
    The AWD system is great. Like my 4wd truck in the snow!
    I was thinking of getting a Subaru before I got this, but then I found
    the 6cyl in it took Premium gas! No way.
    Fred
  • sikes30sikes30 Posts: 1
    Hey Gary,
    I know you want the real world milage on a V6 Fusion, but ill give you mine in the 4 banger version. i just bought an 08 fusion/160 hp 4 banger. it now has alittle over 1000 miles on it. i took it from Central Mississippi to Southeast Tennessee. a total of about 416 miles. 90% was interstate. i crused at 78 mph,,,,and i got 35+ miles to the gallon. i was used to filling my 99 tahoe up several times in a trip. with 26 gallons each time. we left Ms with about 3/4's tank. drove to warrior Al and filled up on about 12 gallons. we didnt need to but it was getting late and i hate to run at night on less than a full tank. drove 3 days in the town we went to and then filled up before we left. we drove 420 miles to my drive way and had alittle less than a quarter of a tank left. the little info bar in the dash said i had 65 miles left to E. so you can do the math. i figured close to 35 miles to the gallon maybe a tad more. i am just thrilled i dont have to pull in to a station on this trip i make once a month. not only that,,, i love the car,,,,i swore i'd never buy a ford,,i have been a GM or Toyota person all my life. the car rides, handles, drives like a dream. looking for some bolt on performance for it next. cold air induction, exhaust, and a strut tower bar. and if i can find a chip,,,maybe that.
    i hope this helps alittle
    glenn
  • g_alleng_allen Posts: 15
    Yeah, actually I am seeking info. mostly on the 4 cylinder. A lot of the review sites say there is not much difference in hwy mileage between the I4 and V6. They are of course, basing their opinion on the EPA ratings which we all know are not necessarily accurate. Most naturally aspirated 4cyl. engines outperform 6cyl. engines which is why manufacturers make them in the first place. I'm not sure that I whole-heartedly trust on-board car computers either, but I don't doubt the 4cyl. Fusion/Milan outperforms a 6cyl. Fusion/Milan by a nice margin when it comes to mileage. I have just been trying to obtain real-world hard numbers to see exactly what the margin is. At this point, I have learned that the V6 pulls about 26-27.5 hwy vs. the I4 at 30+ hwy with several owners reporting 32 MPG. Any other 4cyl. owners want to chime in?

-Gary
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    we have an '04 escape with a 3.0 duratec and also a focus with a 2.3, manual trans (at least until tomorrow), so not exactly the comparison you are looking for.
    my experience is that they can be thirsty in city driving, but have no problem exceeding the epa highway mileage on a trip.
    I assume you are referring to the V6 as being thirsty in the city as it is my understanding that the 4cyl. is quite frugal in city driving environments. I think most owners are reporting 21+ MPG/cty for the four.
  • fritzyfritzy Posts: 12
    My odometer just turned 30K. I average 27.5MPG mixed mountain/city/highway driving with studded snow tires. I noticed that my front snow tires were wearing unevenly on the edges (all the curvy mountain roads) so I recently increased the tire pressure from 33psi to 36psi. My last tank averaged 29.7MPG buy my grip on packed snow and ice is not as good. I average around 29.5MPG with all season tires last summer inflated at 33PSI. I may increase the PSI to 35 when I switch over to all season tires the last week of May. Most of my driving is done at high altitude: 7,000ft upto the altitude of my house, elev. 9150ft. The fusion gets around great in the snow and Ice with studded snow tires. Drives through 12" snow without any problems.
    As far as I can tell, particularly with the Milan, it can be essentially a 4cyl. Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ (although FoMoCo. will have you believe otherwise) save for a few goodies and pull around 30 MPG or so on the highway. I must say, that is pretty appealing these days with $3+ per gallon gas.

-Gary
  • I have the I4 with 7600 miles on it and average 28.9 mpg. 60% highway 40% city
  • focus090focus090 Posts: 85
    all city driving i get 17.7 mpg. i have the se v6. currently have about 2700 miles on it tho. :D
  • malagenmalagen Posts: 2
    Has anyone here tried using the K&N Air Filter for the Fusion/Milan? I have had good success with them in the past my last car got a 5mpg increase after installing one, it was used however. Just curious to see if anyone else got their money's worth, or not.
  • elkeinelkein Posts: 19
    Brand new owner here...
    Car SEL /w AWD
    city only so far.
    19.8 mpg on the display.
    This car was purchased used with 3512 miles on it.
  • urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    Brand new owner here...
    Car SEL /w AWD
    city only so far.
    19.8 mpg on the display.
    This car was purchased used with 3512 miles on it.

Boy are you ever lucky. We purchased a new 2007 SEL AWD in December 2006 and our all-city gas mileage is still only 14.8, constantly. We now have 7,300 miles on the car.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    The difference is probably because elkeins average trip is longer and/or his "city" is less "cityish" than yours.
    The difference is probably because elkeins average trip is longer and/or his "city" is less "cityish" than yours.

There is a lot of stop 'n' go, short trips, in our city driving. Salisbury, Md., is only 50 feet above sea level and the terrain is as flat and level as a pool table. It's a moderate climate and my wife and I are conservative drivers. Our SEL AWD has always gotten poor gas mileage, from the git-go. It was 13 mpg for the first 3,000 miles or so, so the 14.8 mpg is an improvement.

Hindsight is always 20-20. We love the Fusion but probably should have purchased a four-cylinder, manual transmission FWD model. However, even our four-cylinder 2.0 Zetec Focus station wagon only averages about 20 mpg in our city driving.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    This is like Deja-Vu all over again.......

(hi Boz!)
    This is like Deja-Vu all over again.......

(hi Boz!)

Hi Allen. Nothing has changed in the last 2,000 miles or so. That's for sure. Still love the car but hate the poor mileage, especially since gasoline will be at $4 per gallon very soon.
  • My Ford Fusion SL V6 model gets about 21 mpg