Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan Real World MPG

Comments

• sounds re-assuring. thanks!
  • This update is 1 year and 1 day later and now at 51,738 miles (2007 Fusion SEL V6) at last fill-up this morning. My driving habits are unchanged - mostly highway at 60 MPH with cruise set. The computer still shows 28.2 MPG vs. my calculations of 28.2162 - very slight variance. I believe the computer only averages over a certain number of miles, not since it was last reset.

I have fueled up 166 times. The high mark was 31.55 MPG and low tank was 24.13 MPG. Summer driving yields much better results - up to 3 MPG better. This is due to less traffic, less warm up time, and non-winter blend fuel.

I am looking at the 2010 hybrid model - intriguing. Have yet to experience one problem with this car though. Only minor complaint is the turning radius is wider than desired - other than that, car is excellent.

Eric

Yet another update. I crossed the 25,000 mile mark today and the computer shows 28.2 MPG and my hand calculations are slightly above 28.0 MPG so we're splitting hairs. Bear in mind, I drive about 80%-85% highway with a FWD V6. This MPG has been achieved driving at 60 MPH with cruise control and mostly avoiding hard accelerations. The car does get warmed up until the tachometer drops to normal idle speed, which may take a few minutes in winter.

There is a noticeable difference with the winter blend fuel here in the Northeast, deducting about 1.5 MPG.

I did hit the magical 30 MPG mark on two tanks during the summer when traffic was lighter but am struggling to get to 28 MPG now. I am hoping to see a rebound to a high average of 29.5 per the computer six months from now.

Until next time,
    Eric
  • gth743bgth743b Posts: 13
    I bought a 2010 SE about 2 weeks ago, and the fuel economy is, as usual, better than listed. It's listed at 22/29 with 24 combined, but I found it to be different. In downtown Atlanta, or any downtown, you can expect about 17-18 mpg. In suburban driving to and from work in the city, you're looking at about 25.5-26 mpg. On a trip from Atlanta to West Virginia, I averaged about 71-72 mph, and got 34.0 mpg. The clutch in the manual is very light as well, so traffic isn't nearly as painful as it traditionally is for most manual drivers.
  • gth743bgth743b Posts: 13
    I drove from WV to Atlanta this time, and averaged 36.6mpg for the trip doing 5 over the posted speed limit. This included two gas stops, a toll, and about 5 miles of stop and go traffic in just south of Charlotte. On the way back I test it out at 65 on flat interstate and it did 39mpg. At 70 on flat interstate its about 37-37.5, still awesome.
  • fusionguyfusionguy Posts: 6
    I test drove a new 2010 Milan Premier 4 cylinder this evening, about 15 miles on the interstate going 65 mph and had the a/c on for half of the trip. I reset the trip computer's mpg reading to 0 once on the interstate, and it showed the average of 38 mpg at the end of the drive, incredible. This Milan was extremely quiet and solid. Handled great. Mercury needs to advertise their Milan a lot more.
  • togdentogden Posts: 2
    Last year we leased a regular Camry LE because of the no down, low lease rate. It replaced a Ford Expedition so it made sense. Now, we're trying to find the great deal for a high mpg car (that's bigger than a sardine can) but the market seems to be behind.

We looked at the Prius but it's too ugly and small. We looked at the Civic Hybrid but it's too small. We looked at the Camry Hyrbid but it's too expensive and the mpg doesn't pay back fast enough.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    T
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I do about 60% interstate driving (70mph average) and 40% suburban driving (not truely "city" driving, but mostly 40 mph roads with plenty of traffic lights). I average 30mpg in my '06 Accord 4-cylinder. Enough power to merge at above legal speed limits, and plenty of room for a family of 4.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Any ideas?

Keep the Camry and buy gas with the money you save by not replacing it :) .

What about Fusion hybrid?
  • petras2petras2 Posts: 104
    I just picked up a 2010 fusion brochure and was surprised to see that there was a difference in epa ratings among the 4cyl models. The highest non hybrid epa numbers were 23/34 for the (S) model with auto while the SE and SEL models with auto had epa ratings of 22/31. The main difference I could see was smaller sized tires on the S model which I assume create less resistance. When you consider the much higher tire replacement cost of the uplevel models and slightly lower economy, the base S model is looking more attractive...
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    I think I read somewhere that the S also has a slightly "softer" throttle calibration, meaning less immediate response, to encourage more moderate behavior behind the wheel. Not sure if the gearing also differs.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    I heard the gearing was different but didn't check. It is lighter due to limited options which also helps.
  • I'll give you that the Prius isn't the coolest looking vehicle on the road... but small? Did you actually sit in the thing? I am currently deciding between a Prius or a 4-cyl Fusion SE and let me tell you, the prius may be MORE roomy if anything, especially in the back seat. I am a 6'2 male and I sat in all 5 seats in both cars (2010 versions) and I don't hit my head on the ceiling in ANY of the back seats in the Prius where as I do in the middle back seat of the Fusion.

Also I like the JBL audio system in the Prius better than the Sony system in the Fusion. But.... I still like the Fusion better for looks and overall driving. Bleh tough choice.
    OTOH, if you actually want to put three in the back, which would be the only reason for someone to sit in the middle, it would be less likely to work in the Prius, due to less rear hip and shoulder room.
  • Well I have 1000 miles on the new ride. The computer says 26.7 avg mpg and that is mostly short trips. I could not be happier with this car.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The computer says 26.7 avg mpg and that is mostly short trips. I could not be happier with this car.

Would you be happier with 26.8 avg mpg? :P Then you COULD be happier with the car!

Just messing with you - I really like the Fusion. How does the computer do with mileage compared to actual? Its fairly accurate on my girlfriend's Santa Fe, but my parents' '08 Taurus is usually pessimistic by 1/2 to 1 MPG.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,447
    my 07 fusion awd is usually optimistic by about .5 (half a) mpg.
    i have a hard time seeing the '.' :)
  • How does the computer do with mileage compared to actual?

I am not sure because I have not checked it yet. I was going to wait till the engine breaks in and then compare. as long as its close I will not worry. I am happy with anything over 25mpg. Its getting cold here in Cincy so it will be interesting to see how the mileage holds up. I know my Toyota Taco dips below 20mpg when its cold out.
  • I've been slightly disappointed in the ave. mpg for our recently purchased used 2008 4 cyl. auto Fusion (purchased Oct. '09 w/ 12,300 miles). With over 13,500 miles now (it should be broken in), I recently calculated the ave. mpg manually and found that for the last two tanks we have averaged 20.65 and 19.5, respectively. However, the car is driven in heavy suburban traffic in the Wash. DC suburbs - about 90 % city/suburban traffic - with very limited highway miles. Other posters with the older 4 cyl, seem to be getting much better results even in the city or is this about right given the hard, constant suburban/city driving (a lot of stop and go) w/ an automatic? Of course driving style can influence but should I look at alternatives - e.g., air filters, type of gas. etc... to improve performance?
    Thanks TT
    CR got 15 mpg city in their test of a 4 cyl Fusion/Milan in both 2006 and 2009, so it is definitely possible to get amazingly low mileage under the "right" conditions.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,447
    i assume you are not driving too far today.
    first i would check you air pressures and bump them up a bit, so see if that makes a difference.
    you should check your air filter to make sure it is clean.
    any type of heat or cooling runs the a/c compressor, which cuts city mileage.
    the odomoeter can also be off by a bit, but under the conditions you drive, it really can't be measured for accuracy.
    are you a transplant from somewhere else? DC is not 'titletown'. ;)