Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Caliber MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• habalanchehabalanche Posts: 57
    Hey Farout.I agree with everything you said I like the Caliber,and as for getting 26mpg Hwy I was pleasantly surprised.Like you said good on the HWY but 0-20 does suck.
  • bigtsrbigtsr Posts: 149
    Have you bothered to have the latest TSB#18-031-07
    done on your Calibers yet?
    It applies to any Caliber with a build date before
    April 28,2007 and it resolves your complaint regarding
    acceleration plus quiets engine with improved mpg.
    I had mine in two weeks ago for the lack of pwr at 0-20 and they did reflash the computer but I'm not sure of the #.All I know is that it running alot better since then.And I no longer want to get rid of a car that I really like except,for it's poor mileage and lack of pwr.If the mpg stays above 20 I'll be happy.I cannot live without AWD and I'll gladly trade mpg for driveability in snow.
  • daveydodgedaveydodge Posts: 23
    So, if I am getting 27 mpg on my 2.0L CVT Caliber SXT that I ordered from the factory and received last August of 2006, I should still get my computer reflashed even if things are running fine?? Just asking...I now have 17,800 miles and have had no problems running on Mobile 1 Synthetic and would buy another one at this point and recommend them to friends and family. Dollar for dollar...I find it unrealistic to bash the Caliber and be disappointed in it's looks, drive and performance!!
    The latest flash is to resolve sluggish acceleration
    0-30 mph and resolve the sometime noisey diesel like
    sound emanating from the engine at idle or low rpm
    acceleration.
    A byproduct of the flash is increased mpg as has
    been posted on several forums by those having had it
    done to their Calibers,my mpg increased by 4mpg
    in city driving and 1-2 on hiway and 0-30
    acceleration is totally different.
    So if you have these traits or concerns it's
    up to you to decide how to proceed.
    By the way my Caliber SXT 2.0L/CVT was a June 06 build.
  • litesong1litesong1 Posts: 39
    Haven't posted since 5-4-07. With the continueing warmer weather, summer mix gas, & longer trips, my MPG continues to rise. Also I found that my odometer was incorrect, -2%, so all my previous MPG reports were 2% too low.

With my SE Caliber 2 liter w/CVT, my highway high is 35.6MPG, trips over 4000 foot mountain passes from sea level average 32.8MPG, & my overall average including a miserable winter w/41 tanks of gas is 30.8 MPG. The overall average will continue to rise to 31+ MPG till my first year of ownership, & then colder weather & winter mix gas will lower MPG again like last year. The CVT responds well on steep mountain grades as long as you don't rush thru them. Work to maintain speed thru corners & not have to accelerate hard up slope. Drop your speed. Enjoy the mountains. You will also enjoy your mountain MPG.
    Here is the link to EPA website
    using the new mpg formulas.
    I think some Caliber owners will be suprised!!!!

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm
  • airnosairnos Posts: 16
    I'm not sure why you keep throwing the Corolla into the mix. Yes, it is a compact, but does not have the utility of a hatchback/5-dr nor the look/image. People are not cross shopping the appliance Corolla with hatchbacks.

Agreed. I just traded a Corolla in good condition and making good mileage, for a Caliber. My express reason was the cargo capacity. The SE w/options that I got was STILL cheaper than a local Matrix, and I was thrilled to only have to give up a few mpg in order to get the cargo capacity I wanted.

I'm only half done with the first tank of gas and in mixed driving in Atlanta am already getting 22.22 mpg. Could be better, but I'm assuming the dealer put gas in right before I bought the car (he knew I was coming, but that's still an assumption) and I don't expect the best mileage until about the third tank. Plus, Atlanta requires A/C use and a certain amount of stop-and-go.

Best mileage ever on my Corolla (which I bought used) was 41 mpg on a highway trip in the winter. But in practical application, lately I'd been getting 28-30. So if I can beat 25 in the Caliber, I'll be satisfied. Because I'm still coming out ahead with respect to cargo capacity and safety features.

I once bought straight on mileage and chose a 1996 Nissan 200SX w/AT (bad back -- I can operate a stick but not if I want to drive more than an hour or so at a time). Using octane booster, at 10K on the Nissan I got 52 mpg on a highway trip. That car was great, but it also had low power and lousy cargo capacity. Times and needs change...
  • gman55gman55 Posts: 5
    I never had a CVT or AWD before. Bought mine in Feb 07. Started out with 25.6 mpg ( 90% of my drive is hwy). During the spring I got used to the CVT and started paying attention to the mpg's. As of today I'm getting 28.9 mpgs. Seems that the longer I drive it the better the mpgs become.

BTW I bought my RT/AWD with 2400K on it...it was a buy-back from Dodge (lemon-law). The disclosure indicated that the "check engine" light came on 3 times and couldn't be fixed...After the buy-back Dodge techs found that the "codes" were wrong and corrected that problem...haven't had a problem since I bought it...13.5K on it now.

How would I know if the latest TSB#18-031-07 was applied? Would I have to take it in to dealer for that or is there another way to find out?
    I would recommend you check with the dealer where
    you purchased the car they should have the service
    records on file providing it was originally from
    their stock.
    Check under the hood for a label or sticker that
    by DCX procedures should afixed when the car undergoes
    a software revision.
    It would seem to me that with that mpg on the RT/AWD
    it probably has been done, look for other criteria
    such as deiseling sound and sluggish acceleration
    from starts as outlined in the TSB.
    I've had my RT/AWD for a year now.Very low mileage 4500 miles.I had the flash done on mine about three months ago and noticed a big difference on the HWY.around 27mpg.Most of my driving is 5 miles to and from work.Car was advertised to get 23-26mpg so I am happy now when I can drive 70-75 mph and get 27mpg.I am hoping for a nice long road tip in the fall to see what it will get over 1500 mile trip
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    It probably will get good mileage on a 1500 highway trip, as will many cars --even some larger cars with bigger engines.

However, what really matters is what mileage it will get on your typical day to day driving.
    I'm back...

Took my new Caliber on a road trip last week and had 28, 30, 31, 25 for the mileage. The last tank was mixed and also involved me hauling some things around for a friend.

Typical driving for me is about 60/40 highway vs. town. Latest number was 26.16. For mixed driving as applied to Atlanta (i.e., it's rarely possible to drive for the mpg) I think that's pretty decent.
    Back again. I'm now just under 5000 miles and I'm solidly averaging 27 in Atlanta traffic, about 60/40 highway/street since I live in midtown. I'm a bit of a featherfoot and love coasted stops, but there is a limit to how much of that can be done in Atlanta.

On road trips I routinely run 30-31. Again, I'm a bit of a featherfoot but only a bit -- yes, I do run 70-75 mph on the Interstate.

These numbers have been remarkably consistent since 1700 miles or so.
  • gordonwdgordonwd Posts: 336
    We're getting interested in the Caliber as a car for my wife. Mileage is not a huge issue with us, but I was sort of wondering why this car doesn't do a whole lot better. My BMW 325i gets 24 around town and 30 on the highway. In fact, the big Olds Intrigue that we will be getting rid of doesn't do much less that what is being reported here for the Caliber! On the other hand, the Caliber seems quite heavy for its physical size, so that might be a big reason.
  • jmechjmech Posts: 15
    Weight(3000 lbs) is one reason. The car is stronger for safety and gets great front and side impact ratings as a result. The other is increased EPA standards required for 2007.
    You are correct about the MPG. I get up to 24 city and up to 34 highway. I average about 25 mpg for mixed driving.
    Many of my previous cars used to get better mpg, but then the EPA was not as strict as it is now.
    You should see good traction in snow as I have. The extra ground clearance helps too.
    You will like the Caliber as I have. Its been reliable so far(19,000 miles)with no issues. :)
  • jim314jim314 Posts: 491
    The BMW is an expensively engineered vehicle optimized for a combination of performance and economy on smooth pavement which the European market demands. It costs over twice as much as a Caliber, and every repair will be at least twice as much.

BMW achieves good fuel economy by optimizing aerodynamics in part by having minimal ground clearance, and the engine requiring premium unleaded, the sign of a higher compression engine. It probably has very expensive engine controls.

I don't mind the fact that my 2.4L 168 hp NA I-5 Volvo V70 (which I got as a hand-me-down) requires premium 91 AKI to achieve EPA 30 mpg highway (I get up to 35 mpg driven carefully on IHs). The compression ratio is over 10:1. But a lot of people in the US begrudge every penny that fuel costs so a requirement for premium fuel in a moderate priced car would be fatal.
  • I am interested in ordering a caliber
    What model, engine, and transmission combination do you have?
  • Me again. I am debating 1.8/manual vs. 2.0/CVT on a new 2008 model.

I am a conservative driver and the vast majority of my miles are highway.

airnos, gordonwd - I am happy to here you both are getting good MPG, just curious about your model /engine/transmission combinations.

Anybody else can jump in too.
  • I'd pay the extra 1000k for the CVT if I were you. It's amazing to drive, very smooth.
    I've had my SXT for 1.5 yrs now, have 54K miles on it and just replaced my 17" tires which make the car ride much nicer than 15" tires on other Calibers. I'm consistantly getting 30 mpg on my car with no issues at all. This the best compact car I have ever owned.