Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Rio MPG-Real World Numbers

124»

Comments

• I don't know if I am wrong or what but my Kia Rio 2008 is just giving from 210-220 miles per tank. I really think that it should be more at least 280 miles per tank. How much miles per tank are your Rio's giving.
  • I will really apreaciate a response.
  • riotex2riotex2 Posts: 1
    I have a 08 Rio5, and have never had better than 33 mpg highway and 29 mpg city. I do drive about 70 mph highway. I have tried driving very conservatively in the city but it is still never better than 29 mpg I expected better, but thought I had to live with it until I met a guy who owns the same type car and he said he always gets 33 mpg or better. I will try the technique of fueling more often but I don't like the idea of never having completely fresh gas in the tank.
  • w9awxw9awx Posts: 3
    edited April 2010
    I just bought a 2009 Rio SX Automatic at the beginning of last month. I have been averaging about 29-30mph in combined driving.

Here are my fill ups so far...
    New car picked up on March 15th.
    Forgot the first two fill ups
    3/25/2010 859 miles $23.58 8.24 gal
    3/28/2010 1,162 miles $29.01 10.182 gal 29.76 mpg
    3/31/2010 1,468 miles $29.00 10.361 gal 29.53 mpg
  • Wow, now I know mine is messed up. I've got a 2009 Rio 5 SX automatic, same as pf-flyer's only a hatchback. 8000 miles now and generally 22 to 24 mpg driving 9 miles each way to work with a couple miles of freeway. I've been telling the dealer from the get go that something is wrong but they only believe the computer. It's not the way I drive. My last car, a 1990 civic hatchback typically got 33 mpg driving to work although it was a stick. I don't know what to do. Apparently our government EPA doesn't enforce the mpg ratings it advertises.
  • bike1953bike1953 Posts: 3
    I have a 2009 Kia Rio5 SX automatic and do a 320 mile trip every other weekend. Gas mileage is 26 to 39 mpg.
    I top it up the same, but you should realize that there are various gas pump fuel nozzles out there that fit (into the filler neck) differently and shutoff at different levels.
    Don't expect great mileage for short trips, warm up time and stop and go driving is not efficient. I bike 1.5 miles to/from work, just for that reason.
    How much you depress the gas pedal makes a hugh difference with this car!
    A/C drops 3-4 mpg.
    The defroster turns on the A/C!
    A tailwind boosts the mpg (a headwind drops mpg).

Yesterday, with a 20 mph tailwind (gusts to 30mph, no A/C) I got 38.8 mpg from Madison, WI to Davenport, IA. Lots of hills in there too.

Conclusion: I accelerate briskly, but just use some of the gas pedal. You floor it and you waste gas. The new computer controlled automatics "learn" from the driver and adjust how and when they shift. Smoothly applying gas pedal "inputs" makes a difference!
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,550
    A reporter would like to speak to Hyundai and Kia owners who agree or disagree with the latest controversy over MPG. If you own a Hyundai or a Kia and would like to speak to a reporter about your experience with your car's fuel economy, please send your daytime and evening contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 8 a.m. PT/11 a.m. ET.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• My Kia was great at first - then as you, my mileage was not where they promised - THEN the salesperson told me I was driving it wrong, and "you need to break it in".. I am trying to talk to others who were told that. Does this Forum let pe :mad: ople DD? mike at sysdisrupt Dot com
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns the latest model Toyota Prius C or Kia Rio, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 1, 2012, for use in a print publication. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2012 for a copy of the survey.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

124»