Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Vibe - MPG-Real World Numbers

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,946
With the price of gas being what it is, your real world mileage is becoming more important than the estimates on the sticker. This is the place to talk about your real world on the road results!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• mjb56mjb56 Posts: 170
    On a recent trip to northern Wisconsin, all highway miles, driving 60-65 mph we got 35.7 mpg. Pretty relaxed drive, nice weather. Outstanding vehicle. Our normal city driving has shown about 28 mpg.
  • jstant01jstant01 Posts: 65
    My 2005 5-speed Vibe has consistently returned around 35mpg in mostly highway driving (70mph) to work and back.

On long trips, at extended highway speeds of between 65 and 70mph, I have registered as high as 40.2mpg. I am very pleased with the Vibe's gas mileage!
  • unknownunknown Posts: 5
    We are consistently getting a little better than 30mpg. We are very pleased with it.
  • fear_hopefear_hope Posts: 90
    I average 32+ MPG mostly highway driving, sometimes using the A/C and sometimes not. Best tank so far was 33.33MPG before it was hot enough here to use the A/C. I drive normally most of the time and spirited occasionally. With my commute to work a fill up lasts about 6 days. I'm happy with it. (Sort of envious of those Scion and Civic owners who are getting 38MPG though...) By the way, it would be helpful and more meaningful if everyone includes the model and transmission type when posting. ;)
  • pdrakepdrake Posts: 10
    I am averaging 25-27 mpg with my 2006 VIBE GT. I must use 93 octane fuel or, it pings. I am very happy with the car because it really has some get up and go plus it gets decent mileage. I havnt used the AC much this year but, that is mostly for when the wife rides with me as I prefer the windows down and sunroof open.
    The Mrs and I took a brief road trip today and got 37 mpg running the A/C generally going 60mph on back roads. That's about the best ever. We've got an 05 Base auto with about 19K mi. Just broken in. Great mpg and couldn't come at a better time.
  • the sticker for the 2007 Pontiac Vibe shows mpg as city 17 and highway 25. The 2006 is shown much higher, anyone know what that is about. Is the 2007 really giving lower mpg?
  • Hi,
    I am choosing between these three cars, and am quite confused. I am told by both the pontiac and toyota dealer that the 2006 vibe was built by TOYOTA. However, when I look at the crash ratings posted in Edmunds, they show different crash ratings.
    I am quoted 36 city and 38 highway by both the dealers and my girlfriend who has the automatic transmission 2005 with 6 cd player. Any light on the fuzz? :confuse:

Anyone else compare the 3 and know more? How about others actual mileage on the 2006 vs. 2007?
  • I think the 2007 online stickers are a mistake and I have notified the Pontiac web site people via an online feedback form. C'mon, Pontiac, if you want to sell cars you gotta pay attention!

As to real world mpg, I have a 2006 base Vibe with auto transmission (the way probably 95+% of 2007 models will be equipped). I have never gotten less than 25 mpg around town. At 65-75 mph on the highway I get in the low 30s, but I have only taken a handful of 2-3 hours trips, nothing longer.
  • Thanks for the info. THe Vibe salesperson tells me they will get 33 to 36 on the highway.
    the ratings on the 06 on the lot is 28 and 33.
    I'm disappointed to hear 25.. :cry:
  • The Vibe is not BUILT by Toyota, but it is basically engineered by them. It has a Toyota engine, transmission, and most of its other parts, but the styling was done by GM. In my 2005 base, the radio is also GM (Delco). Other than that, it's a Toyota.

However, it is built in the US at a plant in California that also builds Corollas and Tacoma pickups. It's twin, the Matrix, is built in Canada.

I'm not sure why the crash ratings would differ, but it may have to due with whether one test sample had side airbags or not. You might want to check on that. Obviously, cars with with side airbags do better in the crash tests.

As for mileage - I can almost GUARANTEE you will get above 30mpg in both city and highway driving, unless something is out of whack with your vehicle. The Vibe has the best gas mileage of any "GM" vehicle. I've never done worse than about 33-35mpg (I have a stick shift) in all my driving situations.
  • :) I have had an 04 Vibe since 8/04. I have averaged a combined 26.6 mpg and gone as high as 35 mpg on a road trip. The Vibe is built at the NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA. Re the crash ratings, the Vibe went from a 5 star drivers side rating in 04 to a 3 star on for the 05 model. Go figure. As far as I know the IIHS has never tested the Vibe for offset or side crashworthiness.
  • 25 is the worst I've done. That was city driving with lots of full blast AC because it was really hot here this summer.
  • I purchased my base Vibe with automatic on April 1, 2003. It now has about 35,000 miles on it (mostly city). The longest highway trip I have taken with it was about 200 miles one way. (I have a luxury car for the many "road trips" I take.) It consistently gets 28 mpg in the city, and about 34 on the highway, which pretty much matches the epa numbers on the label.
  • you must be looking at a GT sticker.
  • j2mj2m Posts: 1
    I have owned my 2003 Vibe (automatic) since Jan 2003. It has ~57,000 miles on it, and my work puts me in it many hours per day. I have never gotten less than 26mpg around town or 35 mpg highway. When I drive moderately, I get ~29 mpg (mixed around town/ highway) and 39 mpg highway only. **Note here best highway mileage is obtained by following the old rule: "Keep the RPM's around 2500!" That gives you about 60-65 mph in an automatic. Great car, my wife wants one too!
  • I have an 03 AWD Vibe I bought (it had 19,000 miles)used in May 05. For the first 4 months or so I was getting great fuel mileage, it was as high as 35mpg on a 7 hour trip. Than the mileage dropped off from getting on average 27-29 around town and 30-34 highway to 24-26 around town and 28-30 highway. I had 2 different garages put it on the computer, they both found nothing. Does anyone have any suggestion on what may be causing this. I do all the routine maintenance on. I do live in PA and most garages don't want to hear fuel mileage issues here.
  • Two suggestions: (1) A brake is not fully disengaged. First check the parking brake to see that it fully releases.Check the cable from the brake handle all the way back to the connection with the rear wheel assemblies. The cable accumulates a lot of dirt and may stick. If the parking brake is free and clean then one of the hydraulic brakes may not be fully retracting.
    (2) The thermostat may be stuck open or partially open, not allowing the engine to fully warm up to normal operating temperature. The computer has the injectors shooting in more gasoline than normal because it detects the engine as being "cold".
    We just took another trip to northern Wisconsin. 6 hr drive about half on 2 lane roads. Still got 37 mpg and that was while gunning it pretty good to pass. At about 25K mi this car is running better than ever. In fact I just got the oil changed at 5K mi interval and the oil was as clean as when it was new. Amazing. Great car.
  • cs1992cs1992 Posts: 17
    I have an '06 base model with AT and have averaged 31mpg since I bought it. I have not been on any lengthy highway trips, but the 31mpg is based on 65% city / 35% hwy. EPA mileage estimate is 29/34.
  • hi All well I have a 2006 Vibe and it started at 31 mpg and now it is down to 21 mpg , I took it in and they said every thing is OK and I should be glad as it is winter and then asked if I had my tires at 33 pis and yes I did even though it rides like a wash board on rollar skates then . Any Ideas of any thing HELP as my old windstar got that with 180,000 on it There is only 5,000 miles on my Vibe but it smells like rotten eggs also . Mike
  • k2qok2qo Posts: 10
    Hi Gang,

FWIW, my vibe returns 28 MPG summer and 26 MPG winter. It is AWD AT and the EPA sticker reads 26/31. For winter, I use Semperit Ice Grip tires. As far as city/hwy mix, I'd say it's 70/30.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Posts: 317
    I just traded my 2003 Vibe (39,000 miles) for a 2007 Vibe w/automatic. I can assure you the sticker says 29/34 for city/highway.
  • I own an 04 vibe auto with 70k miles. Driving is around 75% 2lane to highway miles and 25% in town. Great car with very good gas mileage.
  • bognvlybognvly Posts: 4
    I have an '06 AT Vibe with 16,000 plus miles. I average 34 mpg weekly (70 miles daily back and forth to work). Heavy stop and go will give me 29+ and long highway trips will bring 39 and better. I track every tankful and note where I buy my gas. There is also a website for fuel economy which helps record keeping, driving tips, and let's you know how you're doing compared to others.
  • hal9001hal9001 Posts: 28
    Make sure the tires are at normal pressure (I keep mine at about 36 psi) make sure the air filter is clean. Get the wheels off the ground and make sure they all turn freely. And if you're really adventurous, gently clean off the MAF sensor.
    Also make sure the temp gauge is reading very close to the middle: a thermostat that opens to soon will kill your gas mileage AND wear out your piston rings AND let gas get into the oil which will kill the rest of the engine.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 1,011
    We recently bought an '04 Vibe as an around town runabout, dog and grocery hauler. So far on my first 3 tanks of gas I have gotten 28, 25, and 26 mpg, pretty much as advertised. This is all in town driving, no highway. The wagon it replaced was lucky to get 20 mpg around town so it has been a good choice so far.

This is the base Vibe, automatic.
  • I have a 2004 Base Auto that I bought in August 2005. I've been tracking my mileage since 4/16/06 and have averaged 28.05 mpg. During that time I drove 16080.5 miles and used 573.351 gallons of gas.
  • vibe05vibe05 Posts: 1
    I'm hoping you're still around to elaborate on your post. I have a 2005 vibe, auto, less than 10k on it. When I bought it, it was great. Seemed like I never had to put gas in it. After maybe the 4th tank that all changed. I know I was getting 34 highway, and maybe 28-30 city. Now I get 20-21 mpg city. I also got that rotten-egg smell from the a/c some mentioned. I did take it in for service. They dismissed everything except for fumigating the a/c. everything with specifications I was told. Now I hear a brake noise, front passenger side. Started with a severe grinding backing out of the driveway after a rain storm. The grinding stopped after 100ft or so. But now there is a noise that sounds like woooooooooooo when i apply the brakes. Took it in. They told me they heard nothing and found nothing. I asked for someone to drive with me and, ofcourse, they heard it then. The shop foreman looked at the tire and said it was tire wear causing tire noise. I don't believe this to be the case and will rotate the tires and show them the noise does not move with the tire in another place. I believe maybe the brake is rubbing somehow and wanted to know how freely the tires should move when off the ground. Should I lift both front at the same time or individual? Any help would be appreciated, thank you
  • "Started with a severe grinding backing out of the driveway after a rain storm. The grinding stopped after 100ft or so. But now there is a noise that sounds like woooooooooooo when i apply the brakes. Took it in. They told me they heard nothing and found nothing. I asked for someone to drive with me and, ofcourse, they heard it then. The shop foreman looked at the tire and said it was tire wear causing tire noise."

Replace the caliper and rotor and pads. A wraped rotor or a sticking caliper will cause a pulsating sound when the brakes are applied. A sticking caliper can cause the rotor to get red hot, which may be the cause of the smell. If it doesn't smell when you drive two blocks to the store but smells when you are driving on the highway then a sticking caliper is likely the culprit. IMHO you also need to find a new mechanic.