Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix: MPG-Real World Numbers

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,913
With the price of gas being what it is, your real world mileage is becoming more important than the estimates on the sticker. This is the place to talk about your real world on the road results!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• rex7rex7 Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 base with an auto trans with 6500 miles on it. From day one I have got a consistant 23 mpg in the city and a combo city/highway of 27mpg. I thought as miles increased (break in) so would the gas mileage. I dont drive like crazy person either. I noticed that when using the defrost and turning on the fan the ac would kick on. It doesnt kick on if I have it on floor. I am wondering if this may cause the lower mileage. Just an idea.
    Jim
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 470
    What you describe about defrost & floor is normal with most if not all cars sold these days. The AC doesn't really detract from fuel efficiency like it did many years ago.
  • hmarhmar Posts: 15
    Matrix XR, 5sp mt. Bought on 5/12/06.
    I live in NYC, so I spend a lot of time in 1st and 2nd gears.
    I have been in a lot of long bumper-to-bumper jams - getting 30mpg on those tanks.
    I also took a road trip upstate - 660 miles round trip, highway, of course - got over 35.
    It's also been very rainy this past month, so I've needed the defogger often, which turns on the A/C, which probably cuts into the mileage a bit.

As Toyota advertises 30/36, I have no complaints.
    Supposedly, after 5K, it's supposed to get better, which would be gravy for me.
  • alzadaalzada Posts: 2
    Matrix XR auto, daily commute is 50-50 city/highway,now up to 30 MPG - but considering both hubby and I are XXL size, sure it would be in the 32-33 range if the load wasn't so heavy... Took a 1700 mile round trip in March, HEAVY winds most of the trip [both ways!] but still got 32 MPG hiway with headwinds in the 30-40mph range with gusts up to 60 - and the car stayed glued to the road like the tires were velcro. I LOVE THIS CAR!!
  • alzadaalzada Posts: 2
    Another trip to TX (driver only this and above trip). No severe winds this time. Tried to balance speed/fuel economy, set criuse for 65 for the whole trip and got MPG's of 36-37. BTW, our other car is an Avalon and I choose to drive the Matrix - that's how much I LOVE THIS CAR!
  • hal9001hal9001 Posts: 28
    Getting about 27 mpg in a mix of city and short trip freeway miles. I'll be going on a 4200 mile trip in a few weeks and will post mileage figures for 100% freeway miles.
  • 051378051378 Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 Matrix XR. I commute 224 miles round-trip each weekday to work. I have 19,000 miles on this car since April, 06. (We also use it on weekends and almost never drive our 05 Ford Explorer XLT 4-DR anymore) I get a solid 32-34 MPG on my Matrix depending on speed, wind and A/C use. I have had as much as 35 MPG.
    I love this car except for the following:
    1.) Don't buy a black one with black interior. Very hard to keep clean inside and out. 2.) Non-existent illumination on the left side dash controls and steering column mounted controls. Difficult at night to find switches. 3.) Brakes are only adequate at best. XRS has 4-wheel disc but who wants to buy premium gas for a compact car? 4.) Parking brake handle is at an awkward angle in the off or disengaged position. It looks like it's pulled-up or engaged when it's not compared to every other vehicle I've every owned with a center console mounted parking brake lever.
  • phil_bphil_b Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 XRS and I put kayaks on the roof with a Yakima rack every other weekend. If I have 2 or more kayaks on the roof and drive around 75 mph, my mileage is about 24 mpg. Without the roof rack and driving a more reasonable speed, I can get up to 30-32.

I love this car!!
  • sgmsgm Posts: 23
    We have two Matrix.....an 05 and an 06. Could not be happier with them. Well, they don't quite live up to their MPG ratings, but then have never found any manufacturer to be accurate.

Cheers,
    Steve/OHIO
  • daka320daka320 Posts: 4
    Have a 2006 XR AWD with 18,000 miles. The numbers posted on the window when we bought the car are fairly accurate.
    We took a long 4000 mile trip a few months ago. Averaged 32-33 mpg. Not bad considering part of the trip was in CO mountains and we do not drive slow (75-80 mph).
    Just drove to Santa Barbara from Phoenix. A/C on about 90% of the time with temps up to 115 degrees. Averaged right at 30 mpg traveling at 80-85 mph. Like I said we do not drive slow.
    In town, 25-28 mpg. Our mileage has improved past 10,000 miles. Very satisfied with these numbers!!!
  • Hello,

I bought my 2006 Matrix XR (4WD Auto) in Atlanta with 20k on it already, and drove it all the way to CT. With synthetic oil, i am getting about 37-38 MPG on the highway. Around town it's around 26.

I drive the speed limits all the time (yes, really,) and accelerate fast when i think i should. So, the EPA MPG is about right for me around town, and much lower than actual on the highway.

Average MPG is not as good as i was hoping to have (31 MPG,) but much better than my previous V6 Crapsler Concorde. Hopefully, i can afford a hybrid next time, in a few years... :-)
  • hal9001hal9001 Posts: 28
    Got back from my trip about a week ago: 5,137 miles in all. Got about 31 mpg average on the trip. This was in my XR AWD going mostly about 75 mph with the AC on almost constantly. Got 35+ mpg on 2 tanks; probably from "hiding" behind Semi trucks and/or long descents from mountain areas.
    In high altitude mountainous areas (Colorado) this car is dangerously underpowered. I had to pull in behind the trucks crawling along at 20 mph because I couldn't get enough speed to safely get in the faster lane.
  • I have the following and will put in what I have found. Driving on the hwy in the prairies I average 600 Km for 70 km/gal, roughly 380 mpg or 42.5 mi/gal. Even driving in NW ONT and the east coast the miles varied but worked out the same give or take 50 km for passing and going up hills. One thing I did find is that the optimal speed is 62 mph, this a couple from MN told me. They who drove a manual XR. They and I both agreed though that with automatic it's gutless going up hills and passing takes what seems forever.
  • Automatic of course. I just figured the gas mileage for the 37,684 miles the car has been driven to date. Result is 26.4 miles per gallon. Probably only a quarter of the miles have come from long-distance highway driving. Very little big city driving as well. Primarily short trips of 4 or 5 miles on country-like roads, and/or short spurts of 5 or 6 miles on the interstate to get to malls, etc.
  • jtomjtom Posts: 26
    my matrix xrs has 28k miles on it. I drive 90% city driving with AC on all the time and am sometimes little heavy on the right foot. I get 21.5 mpg consistantly.
  • I live in Southern California and comute about 90 Miles per day in my 2005 Matrix. I am getting an average of 31 MPG. This includes quite a bit of city driving on the weekends. I love my Matrix and would recomend it to anyone who is looking fo an economy car with a good bit of storage space as well as a comfortable ride.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    So on my very first tank of gas, the free one from the dealer, I got 35.5 mpg! 319 miles, 8.9 gallons of gas. Fantastic! This is what I was hoping for.

That was a short tank because I was headed up to Yosemite, and there's no gas in the park. The first full tank should come this week, and I will report back. So far I'm at 350 miles on the current tank, and the gauge is only down to about 1/3 tank. This one might get close to 40 if I'm lucky! :-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    Is that with a stick or an automatic?
    That's with a stick. The second tank is now officially in: 395 miles @ 10.3 gallons = 38.35 mpg, call it 38. Lovin' it! :-)

Filled up tonight, and the car spent a good portion of this tank either hauling four people or being stuck in traffic and often both! As a result, the fuel economy dropped, but to a value that is acceptable to me given there was no highway use in this tank at all:

374 miles, 11.2 gallons, 33-1/3 mpg. :-)

I also discovered that the fuel light comes on with about 11 gallons used, that's what, 2.4 gallons left in the tank?

today: 366 miles, 10.6 gallons = 34.5 mpg by my calculations. I am very happy with the mileage this thing gives, and I am hoping that after the 5000-mile mark and with the summer weather and gas we will have by then, I might see this average edge up a point or two.

Here's hoping! :-)

• cignalcignal Posts: 1
    My '03 XR automatic put out 41.3 mpg on a r/t from Huntington Beach to San Diego. 405 and 5, right lane all the way, 52 mph and 100 percent cruise control. Drove my wife crazy going so slowly. Typical mpg runs around 32. Also, I've put 14.9 gals in the tank on one fill-up, so forget about the 13.4 capacity spec. Mine seems to be one of the few that came with a navigation system. I'd never own another vehicle without one.
    Love the car.
    Cignal
  • I have a 2005 with about 12,000 on the clock. It's the base model with auto. I have never been able to get over 25mpg combined city and highway. Even with windows up, no AC, at the speed limit, and so on.

I was a little disappointed, but not a big deal. I still quite fond of the little car. Seeing some of the other mileage stats makes me wonder if something might be wrong? It's well maintained, fresh air cleaner, and so on.

Any thoughts on this? Or did I just get one that's at the lower end of the curve?
  • tanjatanja Posts: 1
    I'm averaging between 30-33 with snow tires on (which are essential) during the winter. I generally drive about 65% on the highway at 70 mph. 10% in city traffic, and 25% country roads around 45 mph. I imagine it will be much better with regular tires and warm weather. And the slower I drive the better mpg. I've had it a little over a month and put on 3500 miles - I love the car!
  • rushkyrushky Posts: 3
    I have 2006 base model, Auto, and never gotten more than 24mpg even on 100% highway driving. The car dives okay--I wonder if something is wrong?? :confuse:
    2000 suburban miles, but find that the mileage is extremely consistent and predictable at 34 mpg, '07 XR 5-speed. I can sometimes get to 35 mpg in routine driving, saw a 36 on one tank (probably an anomaly), have never got less than 34 yet.

So I filled up today, 398 miles, 11.0 gallons, which I make out to be 36 mpg! Yay!

We are back to the summer gas around here now, plus it has been very temperate lately, no really cold mornings, not much A/C use in the afternoons, all of which has helped. Plus one day I was ferrying people back and forth for much of the day, probably did more than 100 miles in a single day that day.

But still, it was nice to see the 36 mpg reading. Mine is an '07 XR 5-speed, now with about 2600 miles on it.

• suydamsuydam Posts: 994
    I'm in the market for a second car. I'm looking for a hatchback/small wagon with good fuel efficiency. Unfortunately most of the driving will be around town, Am I doomed to under 25 mpg? So far I have been looking at the Versa and the Toyota Matrix. How does the Matrix do in town/rural driving?
  • what's up guys. I have a 2004 matrix XR with 226,000 miles on it with a stick shift and i average approximately 42 miles a gallon. i do drive on the highway 99% of the time so the number reflects highway mpg. I did, however, make some upgrades to my intake, exhuast and tires. I still think i can squeeze out a couple of more mpgs. any suggestion?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    Try 40 psi in the tires and 0w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic oil. That may squeeze another 1 or 2 mpg out of it.

How fast is that highway driving?

suydam - I think the Matrix/Vibe is a good choice, especially with a stick shift. The Honda Fit is a little smaller outside, but just as roomy inside (remarkably so). It should also get slightly better mpg than a Matrix. Stay with the stick shift though, autos use a lot more fuel in traffic as they are always fighting the torque converter at idle, and can't coast.