Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix: MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Really cold temps DO matter, and don't run premium - you are just wasting your money and may find that your mileage is worse to boot.

I run 87 unleaded in mine, the running average is still around 34.5, but my last fill-up was a low outlier: 33 mpg. The weather here has been cold too - that causes it to take longer to warm up in the morning, which increases gas consumption.

Edit...you must be some place at altitude if your regular is 89 octane? In that case, I see that you were only running midgrade with the 91 but still, don't waste your money. Just run regular.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• At least you have a choice of octane - the XRS only takes 91. Any less and it goes :sick:
    this weekend, 70 mph stuff for hours on end, passing at 80, no A/C needed, only managed 36 mpg over about 900 miles. Not as good as I would like, considering I get 34 around town. :sick:

filled up tonight: 363 miles, 10.3 gallons, that's slightly better than 35 mpg on a mixed tank. Good stuff! :-)
    The somewhat warmer weather we have been having lately must have helped.

• Is this normal? I just got an '08 automatic at the end of December. I been driving in Northern Ohio, so weather is cold, but not all the time. My mpg stinks - its been very disappointing. I consistently get about 21-22. The BEST was on a 200 mile road trip to michigan and topped at 26 or so. This seems awfully low, despite cold weather, especially for a brand new matrix. I'm not super aggressive either. Any ideas?
    is the enemy to fuel economy in the Matrix. Holding it to 65 or so on the highway will greatly improve mileage. I used to pull 31 or so most of the time in my automatic.

If the car is totally brand new, mileage may improve some as the miles go by, until around 10K on the odometer.

• i think mileage will improve as you add miles. now have about 32k on my 2006 xr w/ auto (bought nov 2005). i try to use cruise control when permissable. recently with really cold weather i've gotten around 27 going between 70-77 mph driving on the interstate. Last "long" road trip from indy to chicago got 30 mpg earlier this month. oddly best mileage was about 38mpg (when the car had about 10k) going from indy to dc (may 2006) on i70 where i tried to stay between 70-75, occassionally 80 when passing, ac running on lowest speed. on the way back got ~35mpg. normally my "city" mileage (a few miles street driving then about 10 minutes interstate) has ranged from 30mpg with warmer weather and between 24- 27 mpg with cold weather ~10 degrees.
  • wilson12wilson12 Posts: 8
    I have a 2007 Matrix 5 sp. I have about 6500 miles on it, and have checked the mileage on about every fill up. My mileage has ranged from 26 - 36 mpg. The 36 was going from Johnson City, TN to Charleston, SC which is four lane the whole way. The return trip on same route averaged 32 mpg (up hill). Most fillups have averaged 27-30, which is combined city and highway miles. I have a specific question regarding low speed surging that's driving me crazy, which I will post as a new question after getting my thoughts together!
    last night: XR 5-speed, 380 miles, 10.75 gals, which is 35-1/3 mpg according to my calculator. I guess that will do for now! ;-)

• Just got a brand new 08 std auto Matrix in January, right now I have less than 1000 miles on the car. I'm only getting about 20mpg - all city under 40mph driving. I am in Denver, CO so the weather and fuel might be effecting this but I anticipated at least 26-28mpg! I'm taking it into the shop tomorrow to see if anything needs to be tweaked, because it sometimes feels like it is struggling when it is shifting. Has anyone tried turning off the overdrive for city driving so see if it helps the gas mileage? Is anyone else experiencing these low numbers?
    Thanks,
    Megan
  • I think that isn't normal - I would speak to the dealer. Are you breaking it in gently?
    AND all in-town driving under 40 mph AND it is an auto? 20 mpg sounds like it's at the low end of normal given all the ANDs. The question is, with your driving pattern, how did your last car do relative to its EPA ratings?

Under the old system the auto Matrix was rated like 27 mpg city, I believe.

Oh, and locking the car out of overdrive will consume MORE gas, not less. The more high gears the car has to use, the less gas it will use. Also, if you are still under 1000 miles on the clock, your mileage is probably still improving as the engine breaks in a bit. With only 5 tanks of gas under your belt, you may want to wait another 3 months or so before coming to any solid conclusions about your gas mileage.

• I had a 1987 Honda Accord LX auto with over 200K on it - on a bad day I'd get 23mpg on a good day around 28-30mpg. I filled up the matrix yesterday - I'll see how it does on this tank. I cancelled the trip to the mechanic, thought I'd give it a few more weeks.

Thanks for the advice!
    Hmm, it seems that your old Honda had a rating of 21/27, so if you were pulling 23-25 normally then you are right, the mileage is unexpecedly low with your new Matrix.

Break-in may yet improve your mileage a couple of points, and summer will almost certainly improve it a couple more, so it is still worth it to wait a bit longer and see how it goes.

The Matrix will be significantly faster than your old Accord - perhaps you are also driving a bit faster than you used to?

I know from experience that fuel economy in the Matrix is VERY sensitive to speed. Keep it under the limit and avoid fast starts from stoplights and signs, and you can improve your mileage substantially.

• mocoflmocofl Posts: 2
    I have an '08 manual with 2500 miles and have been averaging 32mpg. This is a mixture of beach driving (sitting in stop-go traffic for 20min-45min) city and highway. It doesn't get cold here so I don't have to deal with that, but I was expecting better milage than 32mpg, especially on the highway. My last car a '98 mazda protege manual averaged 38-40 mpg driving a 30minute commute each way in downtown Denver (where it gets cold). I guess I need to give it time, break it in and hopefully it will improve. But I sure do miss my old car with these soaring gas prices :cry: (stupid hummers)
    is going up as the weather warms, I'm glad to say! The latest fill-up today was good for 36.5 mpg: 259 miles, 7.1 gallons. :-)

'07 XR 5-speed

• matrix42matrix42 Posts: 3
    I bought a 2008 Matrix TRD with automatic and the fuel economy sucks. It has 2417 KM or 1510.6 Miles on it and it is averaging 29.5 miles per gallon (thats 23.6 miles per gallon for you US folks) driving 50/50 city/highway. It is averaging 32 miles per gallon (25.6 miles per gallon US) on highway only driving. It is the worst car I have ever owned for fuel economy and I have owned quite a few cars including Acura Integras, Tercel SR5 4x4, Honda Accords, Mazda MX-3, Chevy Cavaliers, etc. In fact the only vehicle that I have ever owned that got worse gas mileage was a Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.3 liter engine and it averaged 30 miles per gallon (24 miles per gallon US) driving mostly highway but not all and with 5 adults and a lot of luggage in it, thats only 2 miles per gallon worse than the Matrix with no luggage and only 2 adults sitting in it. The EPA on the matrix is 34 city (27 US) and 45 highway (36 US) but it is not even close to that.
    Before you think it is just me here are a few facts to concider. Every vehicle that I have owned I have gotten almost exactly what the EPA rating is except this one. When I was at the Toyota dealer I talked to an elderly lady who had a 2006 Matrix auto with 104,000 Km (65,000 miles) on it and she said she has averaged 30 miles per gallon since she perchased it. That's a whole half a mile per gallon more than I am getting.
    I also went the local car rental company and talked to an employee who owns a Matrix with a 5 speed manual with 60,000 Km (37,500 Miles) and he said he is averaging 35 miles per gallon (28 miles er gallon US) driving highway only. Thats 3 miles per gallon better than I am getting with an automatic and a car that isn't broken in yet. Sounds pretty close to what I am getting considering the differences.
    Driving the exact same highway with my old 1988 Acura Integra I would get 45 miles per gallon (36 miles/gallon US) not 32 (25.6 US) and that car would eat this one for breakfast anytime anywhere.
    I have gone to the dealer to have it checked out and they say that there is nothing they can do to improve fuel economy. They also said that if the check engine light isn't on it will not pull any codes on the diagnostic computer and without a code there is nothing they can do. I bought this lemon because of its claimed fuel economy and it sucks. I have contacted Toyota Canada and started a claim but will have to wait for 10 business days for a representative to contact me. We will see what they will do.
  • 09 Matrix base model (automatic) been getting 28-29 mpg with maybe 60% city driving and 40% highway driving.. only had it for 1300 miles so far though. Have a few coworkers with the vibe and matrix previous year models and they all get decent gas mileage for the way they drive theirs. I don't drive like a maniac.. lol

We are switching over to the summer blend for gas so the mileage may be slightly better.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Posts: 519
    Congratulations on your new ride. This is great news - better mileage than EPA sticker, even before break-in period.
    best fill-up in a while today: 379 miles, 10.0 gallons, so about 38 mpg. Good stuff! :-)

'07 XR 5 speed.