Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Insight MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• rookie60rookie60 Posts: 39
    187 miles is not exactly a testimonial. Give it a chance. I bought my Insight in June 2009. I have 12,000 miles on it. I am getting 44-46 mpg in combined driving. If I am in mostly city driving it drops to 39-40. I expect better mileage this summer. Here in Minnesota, the cold light stays on for a while on every short trip. With the car broken in and warmer weather, I hope I can touch 50mpg occasionally again. I did it twice last summer.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    Sounds pretty good to me.My last fill up on my 2007 Prius of 322 miles combined,more highway than city,was only 35.9.The computer said 42.2,but I don't trust that too much.
  • Hope your MPG has improved now, high mileage is as much about the driver as it is about the car - we have both 2008 Camry and 2010 Insight hybrids. When first driving my Insight as an experienced hybrid driver I typically got around 45 MPG avg, but after a year with it, over the last 6000 miles my avg is up to 55.2 MPG. That includes a full mix of rural, highway, and urban driving (including many trips to downtown Boston). I often get well over 60MPG during my commute to work through the hills of central MA, I got 67mpg on the way to work today.
  • Just gave my new Insight it's first fill-up.....9 gallons even on 485 miles. That's 53.9 mpg! I am very pleased. I kept the car on econ the whole time and watched my iP's carefully. It's like my new hobby - really fun to see how much gasoline I can save. My trade-in was a 2006 Nissan Titan which got around 16 mpg, so the Insight is a welcome change. :)
  • I recently bought a 2010 Insight. I've been learning how to drive more efficiently, and after two months I am up to 46 mpg, and still climbing. I just "discovered" the usefulness of the moving mpg bar, and realize I can probably be getting well above 50.
    So, my question, given that the Prius costs about $3,700 less (in the real world with incentives), why isn't the Insight way more popular? And why doesn't Honda push the competition way harder?
  • Just to correct my last note: Given that the Prius costs $3,700 MORE than the comparable Insight, not less. I get that the Prius's gas mileage is really good, and that some people find the Insight's cargo space a little more limited, but are there really that many people with $3,700 to throw around?? The Insight strikes me as a fabulous car that's far more affordable...
  • Updating my last posts, I have had the 2010 Honda Insight for about two months now, and my mileage per gallon is consistently 52 to 54 when driving anything more than 1 mile or so. I wonder what the real-world Prius numbers are, and why the EPA rates the Insight at 40/43. While I've learned to accelerate and brake gradually, I'm not otherwise doing anything differently from the way I have always driven.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,828
    do you see the ~52 mpg if you calculate "miles-driven / gallons-refueled" ?
  • To be precise, the last time I refueled I got 47 mpg when I divided the mileage by the gallons. But that was before I kind of "discovered" the importance of that moving mpg horizontal bar -- the one that shows your exact mpg at that moment the way you're driving. Ever since then, the computer for my most recent trip has increased, from about 47 earlier to the range of 52 or 54. So I'm sure those numbers are pretty close to reality; will know for sure when I refuel next, though that won't be til the end of the week, I would guess.
    I'm kind of hoping that other Insight drivers will have additional tips for managing fuel efficiency. So far, watching that bar and the green speedometer seem to have me in a very efficient range, which is pretty cool. I'm actually hoping to go higher, so I would be interested in any tricks of more experienced Insight drivers.
  • I've posted a couple of times recently, and just noticed your post. As a new Insight driver, I am up to around 52 mpg or so and fine this to be a really fun real-world game. But 55, 60, 67 are numbers I haven't achieved yet. If you're still following this forum, how do you do this? I am careful about using the ECON button and keeping speedometer green, and following the horizontal mpg bar. What other techniques are there? (Is it maybe that I haven't yet done a lot of highway driving? Am doing mostly suburban distances of 10-15 miles, with several lights spaced maybe one-third mile apart or so.) I really want to feel that the investment in the Insight is paying off. Actually, I already do, but would like to achieve this more so. Thanks!
    edited September 2010
    cool. i have an 06 VW TDI now and may have to challenge you to a "pinks" hypermile contest with you, carchief - i can get 50 mpg if i am super careful & shifting to tall-gear absurdly early, and drive 20 mph slower than the usual ~80 mph interstate traffic here.

is there a way to disable all the Honda Insight dashboard instant-mpg info?
    I drove prius once and found the pac-man "fruit" energy-units going across the screen to be fun, superfluous, and hazardous by attracting attention from the driver.
  • I'm not sure I totally follow your point. The bottom line is that I get 52 mpg and up in normal driving, not by doing anything weird. I do have the ECON button on and I do pay attention to the mpg bar, but I find that fun and I'm driving safely. I haven't gone 80 with the Insight, yet, but I did go up to about 75 on a trip in which I got 47 mpg measured by [distance divided by gallons filled up]. And that was before I even understood what that horizontal mpg bar meant. And yes, I had the air conditioning on for most of it.
    I'd totally be interested in what other Insight (or Prius or Ford Fiesta or Civic Hybrid or *any* hybrid) drivers are getting in the real world.
    edited September 2010
    sounds like you might get 52 mpg on your next tank, carchiel! Please do report the tank-to-tank mpg. mpg should increase as motor breaks-in too - up to 10k miles or so.

Pal of mine with an early Civic Hybrid gets a constant 38 mpg on his 80 mph highway 680 california commute.

Ford fiesta has a hybrid model? Cool. The new fiesta is quite interesting to me, even without hybrid option.
  • Hi, just following up about mileage with my two-month-old 2010 Insight. I filled up the tank today (after two weeks) and got an average of 48.1, which included several very local stop-and-go trips of roughly 35 to 39 mpg. So I think those measures on other trips of 52 to 54 are very realistic, and even modest. Today I drove about 15 miles to meet a friend to go running and got 59.7 (by computer measure) on that trip, which was mostly about 45 miles per hour with stoplights maybe every one-third mile. I hope to achieve averages of upwards of 50 mpg when I take it on longer drives more consistently. It's definitely pretty fun, and as one other person wrote, it's totally my new hobby!
    I completely get a kick out of the fact that the Prius is rated, I believe, 46/51 and I'm doing easily that while hardly having taken the Insight on the highway -- and having paid $3,700 less. The one long highway trip I got 47 mpg, but that was before I learned about the horizontal bar that assesses current mpg.
  • Yes, I'll let you know. Going to the gas station has never been this entertaining!
    One more bit of information: I drove downtown and back yesterday (I live in the Chicago suburbs), and got 52.1 mpg average on the computer, and drove much of it around 73 mph or so. So I'm definitely thinking that the 50s will be a very realistic mpg average, as I and the engine get broken in. I'm actually hoping to attain the high 50s regularly, though maybe that's too ambitious. Will keep you posted. As I said, it would be cool if a Prius owner wrote in, too. I would be interested to know what they typically get in the real world.
    Tom
  • Here are my real world numbers from actual calculation (miles driven / gallons refilled). In August I had four fill ups that averaged 56.5 MPG with my highest tank being 57.5 MPG (my best ever). Now I should mention that some of reasons for the numbers being what they are are due to some techniques I've discovered, but many are simply due to situation. I'll explain.

Situation - I drive almost exclusively highway for long trips (26 miles each way to work; 55 miles each way to the shore on weekends). To work, I only encounter 8 lights spaced far apart, and I don't usually hit them all. I rarely do short trips or city driving. I drive in southern NJ which is very flat. The MPG numbers I've shown are for the hottest month of the year. September, having somewhat cooler weather, had 4 tanks averaging 54.0 MPG. The hotter the weather the better your milage regardless of the make or model of the car or whether or not its a hybrid - but usuall hybrid owners are the only ones paying attention enough to notice.

I bought the car last April and have over 12K miles on it now, and my life time average is around 52 MPG. Its been increasing due to some "tricks" I've found, some driving style changes, the warmer weather during summer, and having gone through the break-in period of the car being new.

I'm out of time right now but will post periodically for some of the tricks I've found. Stay tuned.
  • I promised to share some tricks I've found. I will do this over several posts. Some of what I will share will be specific to the Insight, and other techniques will work universally.

The first one I will share is specific to the Insight. Some of you have already mentioned that you've found the display in the center window of the dash for the "instantaneous" milage. This is key and is needed for the first trick. For those not familiar with it - find it. It can be found by scrolling through the displays using the buttons on your steering wheel. It is a segmented horizontal bar graph that displays what milage you are getting a that second. It starts at the number 0 has a 50 in the middle and a 100 at the far rignt side. Each segment of the bar represents another 5 MPGs. Get this on the display every time you drive (you have to manually bring it up again every time you start the car). Look at this display often as you drive - it will tell you alot about how economically you are driving. Ignore the stupid speedometer background changing color - it doesn't tell you nearly as much. Above the bar graph is a large number that is the average of the MPGs you've been getting since you last reset your trip odometer. Although that's a nice thing to know, you really want to concentrate on the bar graph for the instantaneous number. When you're starting from a stop, this graph will be about two or three segments (10 or 15 MPGs). When you are coasting it can easily be all segments full (100 MPGs). Try to keep it over 60 MPGs most of the time. Experiment with what it takes to get there.

Now that you've found the display, we can discuss the first trick I've found when using this display. But I have to go right now, so I will pick this up in my next post. Sorry.
  • Spunjorno,
    That's like the end-of-year cliffhanger for a tv series!
    I'm totally interested in the tricks you've found. My new Insight now is a little more than three months old. I'm getting typically 48-49 mpg overall for every tank. On highways it's more like 52-53 per trip, and on roads where I go about 45 with few stops, I average 54 and even up to 60 and more. But the lower tank average is because of doing many one-mile trips with frequent stops. Anyway, I am totally interested in any tricks for getting the overall average up into the 50s on a regular basis -- especially highways.
    Thanks,
    Tom
  • Sorry for the cliffhanger, but there's too much to put all in one post. Okay, so you have your instantaneous mileage display showing. Now remember that it exaggerates a little from real calculated millage (not just on Hondas - it seems they all do it). In fact, the better your real millage is the more it will exaggerate. On my very first tank when the car was new I got 49 MPG (real world) and the display showed 52 MPG for the number synched with trip odometer 'A' (I reset it with every fill up). But when I improved to 57.5 MPG, the display showed 64 MPG. The error increased in both number of MPGs as well as percentage of error. All of the different millage displays will do this. So use your dash info only as a relative guide to see if you are improving millage compared to what it used to be.

So now when you are cruising on the highway and just maintaining speed with constant pressure on the gas pedal on flat level ground, look at the instantaneous display. It will be...whatever... say 50 MPG. Here's what you do (and I found this by accident -- maybe others have found it too.) If you release your foot off the pedal and momentarily coast (for, say, one second), you will see the instantaneous display climbs to full (100 MPG). You don't have to wait for it to get to 100. But as it starts to climb gently reapply pressure to the gas pedal. Don't press as hard as you had been pressing. Just ease in enough to maintain speed. You'll now find that you don't have to press as hard to keep the same speed. And the instantaneous millage display will settle in at a higher value (say, 60 or 70, or sometimes higher). It might not always happen on the first try. Do it again. It won't happen easily when the car is cold. Or even when warm but you haven't been driving long enough that the engine has reached it's most efficient temperature. On a slight incline, it is harder yet to do. But keep trying 'till you get it. Once you get it to stay higher, keep checking on it periodically. Road conditions (slight inclines, bumps, curves, speed changes due to traffic) will cause it to drop back to a lower value. So do it again to get it back higher again.

Why does it work? I think it has to do with the Constant Velocity Transmission. Perhaps it works on all CVT cars, but I don't know since this is the first CVT I've ever driven. My theory is that by letting off the gas, you coax the transmission into a higher "gear" for lack of better word. Even though the car tells you that it has 7 gears (found when playing with the paddle shifter), it really has lots of gears in between. It's more like a tapered funnel allowing for infinite gears. So even though you may be in 7th gear when cruising, you may be in a low 7th. (7th is really a range of available gear ratios). By letting off the gas momentarily, the car's computer realizes that it doesn't need to worry about brisk acceleration. So it slides up to a higher gear ratio within the range of 7th gear. If you reapply the gas too quickly or too hard, the transmission will think you may want more performance and so it will go right back down to the old spot on the funnel. But done right, it coaxes the transmission into a less performance but more economically efficient gear ratio. At least that's one possible explanation for why it works, but I could be completely full of it. Maybe it has more to do with fuel injection - but I'm sticking to my story 'cause it makes sense to me.

Now when you do this, with time you'll be able to hear and feel a difference. The engine seems to sound and feel like its running slower (lending credence to my gear ratio theory). Try it at all speeds. If you can boost the instantaneous millage display one or two bars up further than it would have been, you've gained 5 or 10 MPG for that moment. And since the overall gas millage during a tank of gas is the average of all the instantaneous measurements, the longer you keep it up the better your tank millage will be.

Try it if you haven't already found this on your own, and post back to let me know if this was helpful. Next time I'll reveal another twist on the same theme. (There's that cliff hanger again.)
  • I have both current TDI sportwagon 6 spd manual and new insight for my wife. We came home through rural and city driving from the same location a few days ago and were each driving the others car. She mentioned that she got 40.8 mpg from the Jetta so I checked and had gotten 42 and change from the insight, both based on the trip computer. I tried comparing the 2 over same routes by driving Insight on courses I already knew TDI numbers for like work and back etc. On the freeway the Sportwagon could be babied into about 55mpg on a 30 mile loop that I had previously logged so I drove it in the Insight and got 47 mpg. To be fair the Insight still has less than 1000 miles on odometer and TDI numbers were during the summer while the Insight was tested in 37 degree denser air. Not putting much effort into maxing mileage the TDI will read about 51 mpg on the freeway and I have checked, the computer is about 2 mpg optimistic..

To work and back (13 miles) TDI gives me 34-41 mpg depending on how the traffic and lights hit you. The Insight got 52 mpg, again in cold weather but unusual good luck hitting the lights and little traffic. Still I was impressed and don't think the TDI could hope to match it. I saw a "pinks" competition of a TDI with an insight suggested in one of the prior messages. For the TDI to have a chance it better be on the open road! That said, the TDI does have more power and accelerates quicker, weighs 550# more, rides a little smother and quieter, has a better rear seat and twice the cargo volume, a super sunroof and roof rack, and that manual shift that I find so sweet. My continued affection for it is quite secure.