Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Insight MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• albalmaalbalma Posts: 10
    Hello,

I think if you just bought the car you will definitely get less mpgs than if you let it run for about 10 to 15,000 miles, which is when people seem to start getting the best mileage. I have been able to get 50+mpg for the time it takes to re-fill the tank (with a winter average of about 40mpg and a summer average of about 48-50mpg), it is very hard for me to judge though because the landscape we normally drive through is somewhat rough. On a flat surface, I do get about 50-60mpg at about 50-60, in slower speeds and without acceleration, but just maintaining speed, I can get up to 100mpg, especially around 30-35 m/h. I will try without the econ, though when stopping you need the engine to go off, so maybe disengage it for highways? I hope it works better. Thank you!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,920
    A news reporter would like to talk with hybrid car owners in Northern California. If you fit the description, please contact pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, April 25, 2012.
  • john57110john57110 Posts: 1
    Hi,

I posted the consumer review for this vehicle shortly after I purchased in Nov 11. Since then, I can honestly say I have only grown fonder of this vehicle. After experimenting with different driving styles and techniques I have now increased my per tank average (calculated by fillup) to 52 mpg. I consistently average 65 mpg (MID indicated) on my mostly highway commute. Initially I kept my speed around 58 to 60 mph but now I am able to achieve the same at 65 mph. I attribute some of this to warmer weather, more miles on the vehicle and now running synthetic after 1st oil change at 7800 miles. Best calculated tank was 56.7 mpg for 370 miles. I have found that this car doesn't necessarily have to be driven slow but best mpg seems to be at 2000 to 2200 rpm, which for me is 65mph, above that it drops substantially.
  • spunjornospunjorno Posts: 45
    So now I've had my Insight for over two years. I wanted to post my mileage to date. This is not the MPG # shown on the dash -- it is my actual gas mileage:

The car has 34529 miles. The total overall gas mileage over that time is 52.7 MPG.

My best and worst tanks were: 58.7 MPG and 45.9 MPG.

I think that they should re-evaluate how they approximate the MPGs when they test hybrids. This one is stated to be 44, but I've never been able to get it that low. I know many Prius owners who have said the same thing.

They say, "your mileage may vary". But on other cars I've owned (that were NOT hybrids) my average was always within a couple MPGs higher or lower than the stated figure. This one is WAAAAY off. The test must unfairly punish hybrids in general.
  • I now have a 2010 Honda Insight EX that I bought used (had 27,000 miles on it). For the nearly 5,000 miles I have driven, I have gotten 54.3 mpg (according to dashboard Trip B calculations). This includes a trip from near Austin, TX, through Las Vegas, NV, up to Reno, NV, over the Sierras to Ukiah, CA and then down I-5 to I-10 and back home again.

I had owned a 2000 Honda Insight that I bought used (had 11,000 miles on it w/ 42.1 mpg for life). I put another 222,000 miles on it and ended with 58.0 mpg for life. So, I have some experience driving the Honda Hybrid, which may account for my being able to tolerate the GREEN indicator in the new one.

My first Honda was a 600 Sedan, then 600 Hadtchback all the way back to 1970. I got 42 mpg on my best trip, even then. Bought a new Civic CVCC in 1978, have owned a couple more Civic and even an Accord. Have never gotten below 30 mpg in any Honda that I owned, in all those years the US Car Makers said they couldn't do it.

I would have loved to own one of the Smart cars with the diesel engine when it was 70 mpg, but not now. Being single, the two-seater never caused me a problem. It hauled my skis and dog kennel. The 5 seater model feels heavier, especially when at a stop light that starts out going up hill!

BTW, I run my A/C at 78 degrees in the car. Sometimes, in the Texas heat, I have to lower it to 74, because the sun just broils you coming in the window. Have not figured out how to make the engine start again when in Auto Stop (I know, take your foot off the brake, but when you're stopped, that is dangerous). Never had a problem in the old Insight Manual Transmission. If someone else was in the car, I could pop it into first and the engine would engage so the A/C would cool them off.

Have always loved the Honda quality. Impressed when 4 of us owned the Honda 600 models, and if one person's clutch went at 35,000 miles, then we all knew ours would go about the same time. When a timing chain (remember those) went at 60,000 miles for a friend, mine went at 60,055. That is truly quality engineering.

Only had my 2010 Insight two months, so still getting used to it. But I'm happy so far!
  • I believe if you turn off the ECO green button, the engine will not go into autostop when the AC is on (or will only autostop for a short time before kicking back on).
  • How do you get the MPG to date on 2010-up Insight? I bought mine with 22k miles, but the previous owner did not do anything 'eco' friendly in his driving, did not even use the econ mode at all. He said he was getting 45 MPG, but I never get less than 48, unless I am doing 70 on a long highway trip.
  • It will not go into autostop with the A/C on or the front defroster on. I also noticed on very humid or rainy days autostop either does not engage, or it only works for about 30 seconds then the engine comes back on.
  • mramming - When I was talking about my lifetime mileage, I wasn't getting this information off the dashboard. It was actual calculated mileage by dividing miles by the gallons used (from the gas station pump). If you bought yours with 22k, you probably don't have that info from the previous owner unless he left his mileage recording book in the glove box. The only thing you might have is the dash info, unless he (or you) have cleared it.

Remember, you have two trip odometers (A & B). I traditionally reset 'A' every time I fill up so that I can see the (car's computer calculated, but not very accurate) mileage of every tank. I don't reset the 'B' mileage. So on my car, the 'B' mileage is (almost) the car computer calculated lifetime average - almost, because I reset it by accident once early on.
  • On rainy and humid days it won't go into autostop IF YOU HAVE THE VENTILATION ON. Turn off ALL of the HVAC and it will then go into autostop, and will stay in autostop regardless of weather conditions (unless the engine is cold or your stopped on a hill). But for this to work, you must have turned off the HVAC BEFORE stepping on the brake. If you turn off the HVAC after pressing the brake, it will do the same thing as if you didn't turn off the HVAC. Give that a try.
  • twartedtwarted Posts: 5
    I have a 2010 Insight with 99950 miles with full kit (Nav the works) and extended warranty and all service records and no scratches. I went to Pompano Honda to trade in against an Accord last night.... and Guess what? I discovered the error of my ways.
    Its worth maybe $7,000 after paying $24,500 for it new.
    Had I not listened to the Honda Sales Pitch I would have bought a Toyota Prius which with the same mileage would have been worth a LOT more. Perhaps Consumer reports might like to take a look at depreciation between the two?
    I no longer drive the car in case the battery dies and BTW the fuel consumption has been between 35 and 37.5 MPG. Is it true Honda have been sued in a class action law suite for lies about fuel consumption claims?? Have I a case?
    Better they be sued for a pretend Hybrid system that has a massive loss in value as a result. Any Lawyers reading? - Look at my records if you wish!
    As we say in Ireland it has not got the power to "Pull the socks off of a dead man" and the only redeeming quality is I can drive it in the HOV lane!!!
    Reliability was excellent but for a full assembly replacement of GPS - CD-Radio at 41,000 miles. Service department at Pompano Honda puts my Lexus Department to shame - They are excellent in all ways.
    Silly me for buying one - All you happy owners .... Your time will come! - The car was rushed to the market and "Under Engineered" (Never saw so much painted metal since an Alfa in the 60's!) and you will pay the price in resale value.
    I have a 2010 Insight with 99950 miles with full kit (Nav the works) and extended warranty and all service records and no scratches. I went to Pompano Honda to trade in against an Accord last night.... and Guess what? I discovered the error of my ways.
    Had I not listened to the Honda Sales Pitch I would have bought a Toyota Prius which with the same mileage would have been worth a LOT more. Perhaps Consumer reports might like to take a look at depreciation between the two?
    I no longer drive the car in case the battery dies and BTW the fuel consumption has been between 35 and 37.5 MPG. Is it true Honda have been sued in a class action law suite for lies about fuel consumption claims?? Have I a case?
    Better they be sued for a pretend Hybrid system that has a massive loss in value as a result. Any Lawyers reading? - Look at my records if you wish!
    As we say in Ireland it has not got the power to "Pull the socks off of a dead man" and the only redeeming quality is I can drive it in the HOV lane!!!
    Reliability was excellent but for a full assembly replacement of GPS - CD-Radio at 41,000 miles. Service department at Pompano Honda puts my Lexus Department to shame - They are excellent in all ways.
    Silly me for buying one - All you happy owners .... Your time will come! - The car was rushed to the market and "Under Engineered" (Never saw so much painted metal since an Alfa in the 60's!) and you will pay the price in resale value.
  • I have a 2010 now with 91K on it, it has returned a lifetime average mileage of 52.4 mpg. I know Pompano Beach and if I drove there all the time I would have averaged well over 55 MPG. I know that because the car has spent most of its life on the roads of Massachusetts, and I typically get over 55 mpg every day running summer gas and in warmer temperatures even though I drive up and down multiple 1000 ft climbs daily (I work at close to sea level and live at 900 ft). By contrast, my home in Pompano is at 8 ft above sea level, and the only hill for miles is a landfill north of town. By the way, I drive on snow tires year round as well (needed this year with over 80 inches of snow).

So the point is Twarted, the driver is a key component and if you are getting 35 MPG I think you are responsible for that. You also seem to have a real agenda slamming Honda with the same cut and paste response to multiple posts on this site. Regarding the value of your car - it appears to be about $10500 to $11000 in Pompano, except that the expected miles should be < 40,000. Everyone reading this post knows the condition and miles on the odometer are the key factors in determining value. Your slanted rant appears not to have considered any of those factors.

My car may not be the most comfortable, but it has performed very well in all conditions, required only routine maintenance consisting of basically oil changes every 11000 miles+, plus a set of tires. This car is utterly dependable and super green - that is what I wanted and that is why I love my Honda.
  • Apart from the resale value, what are your complaints about the Insight? Why did you want to trade it in?
  • I have had my 2010 Insight for 2.5 years and I have always compared the average trip mileage on the display with my calculated actual mileage (trip mileage / gallons of fuel). The actual mileage is ALWAYS 3 miles per gallon less than the display says it is. So, if the display says that my trip average was 40 mpg, I actually got 37mpg. Every time! Has any one else noticed this?
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    Got a coupon from pompano Honda a couple years back for a $9.95 oil change/rotation so decided to drive in from Coral Springs to get it done. Was their first customer that morning, got there at 6:45 a m and they did a pretty decent job but tried to get me to purchase every service under the sun which I politely refused...a bit of overkill really. While there, I satin the Insight and thought it was horrible! The crappy dash from the Fit, uncomfortable drivers seat with a headrest canted too far forward and the split view out the back hatch was probably the worst I've ever seen in any vehicle...totally ridiculous! If going for this kind of technology, best to go wit Toyota or Ford as they've got it down pretty well, Honda...well, not as much. The exterior of the Insight isn't too bad but the rest...meh and not something I'd ever spend $ on. Really, besides the Accord, the rest of the Honda lineup is totally forgettable...totally forgettable!

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• dnatechdnatech Posts: 21
    Yes,
    I do a real mileage calculations with Excel spreadsheet with all my cars and you are correct. The real mpg is lower : I get 56.1 mpg on the display with 13,484 driving miles. My excel gives me the real mileage: 52.16 mpg (with 13,484)
    I have a feeling that the display is helpful at telling you how to drive "ecologically" . I wonder if the Prius gives you also a falsely elevated mpg on the display?
    Note: I get this good mileage but driving very conservatively.
  • james271james271 Posts: 1
    Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine
    2000 Honda Insight

Where can I get more information on this?

I just changed the oil.
    I changed the thermostat. The old one was very stiff.
    I even run with the radiator fan constantly 'ON'.

I await any comments.
  • brylobrylo Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    About six weeks ago I bought a 2010 Honda Insight EX with 24k miles on it. It is factory certified and I paid 15,000 for it. I also looked at the Prius which I did like. Two reasons stopped me from getting it. The first is that the console runs high between the front seats. I am 6'2" and I hate my right leg being trapped in like that. In the insight my leg can/knee can hang out over the top of the low center console. The second was that for the same money I could only get a high mileage prius. Prius does have better resale...but my choice was based on keeping the car a long time...and a comfortable driving position. Real world mileage I believe is much the same. My "trip B" is at 1700 miles and reads 50.6. Which, like every car I have ever been in is actually 2-3 mpg less when doing the math. If I take back roads to work (23 mile trip) I can break 60 mpg (57 actual)...this is taking it easy with speed limits of 35-55. 50 is about what I can get on expressway...only going speed limits. I am not sure why but it seems people lie about their mpg as much as they do the size of a fish they caught. I go so far as to use the exact same gas pump so I can get as close as possible to a consistent fill...just when trying to figure actual mpg of course. I will take an HONEST 47 mpg any day. All that being said, give me 1.50 a gallon and a truck!