Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Blazer Starting and Stalling Problems

Comments

• It is not backfiring, it has only completely stalled on me once, but fired right back up. It misses at various times, sometimes when your at idle sometimes when you running 40 to 50mph. I have noticed it does it more when it is warm but it also sometimes misses when you just start it. It does not miss all the time. I have not had the fuel pressure measured. Sometimes you can drive for 4 or 5 miles before it starts missing then you give it a little more gas and it quits missing for a bit. I took it to a garage today and explained to them what was happening and told them everything I have already done and they were also stumped. The guy at the garage (which didn't seem to know what he was talking about) said the catalytic converter may be plugged up, but from my experience, when a converter plugs up and you give it gas, the miss gets worse, so I really don't think thats the problem.
  • Check fuel pressure and if it looses pressure change the fuel pressure regulator. I would also clean the spider assembly while all of the components are taken apart.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Are you getting a Check Engine light? There are any number of sensors that can cause the ignition to go intermittent and misfire.

In my history, there have been two occasions of an intermittent crankshaft position sensor, but at $60, you don't want to swap this one unless you know it is bad. Stores a code, but I can't remember off the top of my head what it was. And if the lamp doesn't come on, the code won't be there anyway.
  • What are the signs of a catalytic converter plugging and backfire sound from the cat...? Fuel filter changed, new fuel pump, 02 sensors before cat has been changed. po131 and po151 came-up before the changes. No rotting egg smell.
  • gg1328gg1328 Posts: 16
    HI GUYS

I have a 1994 Bravada 4.3 CPI Engine - Vin W, 135,000 miles on it. I own the car about 4 and a half years and is used mainly as a 2nd car and in winters. (4 wheel drive vehicle)

THE CAR WON'T START, I CHANGED ALMOST EVERYTHING. THE ONLY THING LEFT IS THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR. I WAS TOLD IN QUESTION 182 THAT IT CAN BE FOUND FROM UNDERNEATH THE FRONT PUMPER AT THE 7'OCLOCK POSITION. I SEARCHED HIGH AND LOW, AND I STILL CAN'T FIND IT.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH FURTHER DETAILS? I'M GOING NUTS TRYING TO LOCATE IT. MY INSPECTION IS DO NEXT MONTH, AND I'M HOPING TO GET IT GOING BY THEN. MY ORIGINAL QUESTION WAS 181. I ALSO SMELL GAS WHEN I CHECK MY OIL. CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THIS MEANS ALSO?

THANKS,
    GG1328
  • sounds like a leaking central port injection unit is it tbi or carb if it is tbi could be leaking on top of plenum which would cause fuel smell in the oil. I think this is the year that has the fuel regulator problems on the cpi or the fuel lines running through the plenum, but i wouldn't start it with plenum off but i would turn the key on so the fuel pump runs so you can look for a leak. They sell fuel a regulator repair kit and gm sells fuel line repair kit. One way to test it might be to put a fuel pressure guage on it turn the key its supposed to hold around 50-60 psi for 2 min if it bleeds off you know you have a leak. Also if you do have a leak it should be very noticable when you take off upper plenum should be black if there is clean brown tint spots sign of where your fuel is leaking. I have a 98 blazer thats how i know this stuff its having starting probs need to replace ignition control module, or distributer cap
    Thanks for your quick reply. I'm trying to locate the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR. If you could please be specific about its location. Thanks.
  • use to start beautifully. got in and it started and died and started and died tehn clicked like battery dead. Replaced battery and banged on starter, still clicked. Took it to mechanic and he said probably starter but instead of me buying it and it not being it he tried to turn the engine manually and did so but said that it turns counterclockwise but when he turns it clockwise it goes for a little while than gets to where he can't move it any longer. Why? Should I replace the starter? What about all the ppl on here that say the cylanoid or relay or flywheel not lining up? They say to grease up spark plugs and replace them. I am a single parent with no $ for a new car. please help.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Look at the crankshaft, bottom pulley, front of engine. There should be a small wire harness coming from above and plugging into a small device at the 7 o'clock position as you face the engine.

That device is the CPS. If it isn't there, you now know why the car won't start!

;)
    Thank you very much!!! I will look for it on the weekend.

George
  • ok i have a 96 chevy blazer i have replaced spark plugs and wires,the egr valve,new fuel pump,and fuel filter,new air filter,rotary cap and button ,a sensor or something thats underneath the rotary cap and buton,the pcv valve, ive ran dry gas threw it an fuel injection cleaner an everything i can think of the check engine light is not on ...ok if im jus driving regular the truck misses very very bad if i get on it it will miss at first then smooth out an occasonily miss an as soon as i slow down it will start missing real bad again the motor isnt making any weird noises or anything an ive also checked for vacum leaks an cant find any please if you no wats wrong help me i would greatly appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!thanks
    Hi, it's me again. I looked for the Crankshaft Position Sensor this morning, and I couldn't find it. I took off some kind of mat that was bolted to the bottom so i could have a better and closer look. I looked hi and low all around near the bottom pulley at the 7 o'clock position. I thought maybe it broke off and i would see wires hanging. Nope. No wires either. Can you please still assist me further. Might it be in some other location?

Thanks again,
    gg1328
  • Hi. I wish I could help you...because I have almost the exact same problem!! Same year and done almost all the same things!!! I do notice that mine is worse if I drive in OD. If I am in D...it's a little better. So I am with you on looking for an answer!! It's driving me crazy!!

Good Luck!
  • a buddy of mine owns a garage an he checked it out for me he said he had a blazer come in same year an everything doing the same thing he said it was the injectors wich on this year modle is the spider injectors he said theyre bad for cracking on the hoses coming off the injectors (the part that looks like legs off a spider) i have had several people tell me the same thing so i have ordered one an when i put it on.... if it fixes the prob. i will deff. let ya no
  • 1996 chevy blazer..
    Engine turns over but won't start..I'm not to much of a mech..But I can swap parts if I know the right direction to go..
    Dies this sound like a fuel pump or filter issue? I don't have anyway to test fuel pressure..But if swapping a fuel filter can save me from spending bigger bucks to swap a fuel pump, I will..Or am I looking in the wrong place?
  • My blazer is definitely doing the same exact thing right now. Well what happened was it was doing the same exact thing and then after about a week of that it started actually missing while i was driving a steady speed where as originally it only did it when i was idling or coming to a stop. Then about a day after it started doing that it just shut off, and then it wouldn't turn back over, it just cranked and wouldn't fire. I replaced the spider injector and it ran wonderfully for about a week, then i got out of work one day and it wouldn't start, the fuel pump went. I replaced the fuel pump and its been about a week now and just yesterday it started up with what it was originally doing again, where if im not driving at a steady speed it wants to die, so i guess the fuel injector was not the problem in this case although maybe it is in yours i don't know. i don't know if im caught in a continual circle of part replacement or what, but if anyone has nailed down the exact thing that causes this i would greatly appreciate it if you would let me know before it dies completely on me again : )
  • I thought putting in a new Fuel sensor would fix the problem but still won't start. Could it be the emissions? How would I get that checked? could I do it at home? I have a 2003 Blazer. Drove it home one day and it just shut down, like no fuel was getting to the engine. Niw it won't start at all. Was there a recall on this in 04 and 05? Please reply, Thank you v_bunnies1010
  • duntovduntov Posts: 133
    That could be a cheap item to fix or it could be very expensive. Always start with the cheapest item first. Start by checking the fuel pressure, if any.
    The fuel pressure should be 62 lb. start and 54 lb. running. If there is no pressure or low pressure, it could be :
    Fuel pump relay, AC Delco 1550688....$10.11
    Fuel filter, AC Delco GF845 ...$13.59
    Fuel injection regulator kit, AC Delco 217-3074....$56.87
    Fuel pump module kit, AC Delco, 4-door, MU 1064...$372.79
  • I would think that your fuel pressure regulator is bad, did you replace that too? also mybe the crankshaft position sensor.
  • I have a 97 Chevy Blazer and i replaced the starter about 4 months ago. The car started fine for a while but now its making a grinding noise when i try to start it i had the starter tested and it was fine i replaced the battery and still have a problem.Also this truck had a tune up and it is still missing when i drive dont know what to do anyone have a suggestion i am frustrated.