Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Xterra vs. Toyota FJ Cruiser

2»

Comments

• Dealers that say they have no control over the product are not being honest with you. With Toyota Canada (the US should be the same) the dealership orders whichever packages they think will sell. Also, in most of Canada we have fair pricing which means we don't sell above or below MSRP
  • Nissan's reliability is nowhere near Toyota. They are 8th among manufacturers in this years consumer reports predicted reliability. In my experience the Japanese built Nissan's are good (VIN starts with a J) and the North American ones are bad-especially the Mexican ones (VIN starts with a 3). That being said I am competely biased as I am a longtime Toyota owner and a Toyota salesman
  • >>> Dealers that say they have no control over the product
    >>> are not being honest with you. With Toyota Canada (the
    >>> US should be the same) the dealership orders whichever
    >>> packages they think will sell. Also, in most of Canada
    >>> we have fair pricing which means we don't sell above
    >>> or below MSRP

Things are not the same in Canada (just look at how difficult it is to get info on invoice prices there, etc). I'd be interested in hearing from someone who knows FOR SURE whether or not dealers are truly unable to order base FJ Cruisers in the US, or that they're making this up in an effort to sell as many option-stuffed vehicles as possible to those anxious to own the vehicle.
  • aazevedoaazevedo Posts: 7
    I don't know for sure whether or not the individual dealerships are able to order the different models. At one dealership in Northern California there was a base 4X2 Dodger Blue with the Convenience Package (power windows). The dealership had three others, one of which they had lifted 3" and put high profile crome wheels. They then took the alloy wheels from that car and marked up the base model, because it had the alloys. The whole experience there was horrible, because they spent an hour trying to sell me a fully loaded one even aftger I told them over and over it was out of my price range, when i was finally ready to leave the miraculously found the one I was looking for, saying that they didn't know they had it and that it came in the night before. Somehow it was already on display at the opposite end of the lot.....I had pretty much already decided to buy an Xterra, this made my decision cake.
  • gypsyjongypsyjon Posts: 38
    I looked at xTerra too, but I barely fit into one of those things. The cab on the FJ is WAY roomier. Also the tilt on the wheel in the xT just barely moves the wheel up so you have to jam your leg underneath it and it put a black smudge on the leg of pants!!

I should mention that I am 6'6" tall so lots of vehicles dont fit me, but the FJ is just fine...I can even where a hat while driving!!! Now that is novel, for me anyway...

GypsyJon
  • Are you sure you put the seat back all the way? I don't really see how that is possible. The front seat dimensions are nearly identical between the two cars, actually if you look at the numbers, with the exception of headroom (which has 1" less than the FJ), the Xterra is larger in all other catergories, including leg room. I would suggest checking it out again.
  • gypsyjongypsyjon Posts: 38
    I don't know about the measured dimensions, but that acutal useable sitting down space is WAY smaller in the X-Terra. Not to mention the swing on the tilt wheel sucks. It barely moves up at all.

The salesman was right there and had me get out while he put the seats to maximum adjustment and at 6'6" I flat do not fit into one of those things.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Has anybody seen the recalls that Toyota has issued lately? I would suggest that people check their perceptions of Toyotas quality and look at the reality of the situation. 3 million vehicles recalled in 2006 does not scream quality to me.
  • Of course for any car you would like to buy below the MSRP. However, when comparing vehicles, how much you pay above or below MSRP really has no bearing. You need to compare the quality vs. the total price. My wife tells me all the time how much money she has saved me by buying things on sale at high priced stores. Jewelry and Furniture stores also play the game of selling things for 50%/75% under retail. Just because you can buy a car under MSRP does not make it a great deal. That being said, any smart buyer who has patience and tenacity can wait the dealers out until a downturn/overstock event takes place where it is a buyers market. Just my 2 cents. :)
  • Y'all are not looking hard enough. I wanted a loaded FJ this spring and I could not wait since I needed a new truck NOW, due to the fact that my kid blew the engine in her Jeep and she was getting my 10 yr old Blazer.

I live in Atlanta so I looked all over there with no luck. All those dealers wanted MSRP plus up to $2500 bucks. Not happening.

So I went on the Toyota website and started sending emails to dealers right on up I-75 with the specs on what I wanted and how much I would pay. They all responded and some were close but I am a tight [non-permissible content removed], so I was holding out. Finally, I sent the message to a dealer in Toledo, OH and in about 5 minutes I got a message back asking when I wanted to pick it up.

It takes effort, but you dont have to pay the full load. I used a Skymiles one way ticket to Toledo, the guy picked me up at the airport, bought me breakfast, I paid him and was home in Atlanta by midnight.

So, try doing your home work and you may be pleasantly surprised. Who knows? It is worth a shot and it worked for me.
  • I've had my FJ for 4 months now and have no complaints. It is definately a one of a kind. There are so many after market accessories for the FJ. I took it off road at Paragon Adventure Park and it dominated. Rubicons, H3's could not keep up. Never once did it get stuck. If you are looking for a truck that can be off and on road, I would take the FJ.
  • The last 2 vehicles I have purchased, I have done over the internet. They were a 1999 Subaru Outback and my 05 Xterra. I researched the vehicles I was interested in, decided how much I was willing to pay and then went looking for the vehicle. When we bought the X, we knew what the credit union was charging for the loan (4.9%). When we got to the dealer we were really only going to look and get the info to take back to the CU. They asked what the interest rate was and said if they could beat it, would we go with them. We got 4.78% from the dealer. We got to the dealer at 1:30 and at 4:30 drove out. No hassles, no pressure. They had a set price for the internet sales. We paid about 3% over invoice. I have no real complaints about the X. The only recall has been the trailer hitch.
  • kg21kg21 Posts: 2
    I am in the same situation you are in. I like how the RAV4 V6 drives on the road but I would rather go for a 4WD over AWD (and a more masculine look). The FJ Cruiser would seem to fit me but I'm not so much a fan of the standout looks and would rather go for more of a conservative Xterra design. I have owned Toyota's for years and have done great with them, but I'm not so sure about the nissans. Any help out there?
  • rollbarrollbar Posts: 297
    I dropped into this post after buying my FJ last week. Things have changed significantly and so I thought I would add a post for 6 month post debut pricing.

I got a loaded FJ from a Cincinnati Dealer after Internet shopping dealers in Ohio, Western PA and Indiana. I had several offers in the $500 to $700 over invoice range on vehicles from several dealers that were not quite what I wanted. Then found the options I did want in Cincinnati and started a pricing discussion.

Right out of the box had an offer for $700 over invoice. Countered with $500 over invoice and they made the deal. (Joseph Toyota, Steve G). They had 6 on the lot, which may have helped.

Had concerns going down to Cincinnati from Columbus to finalize the paperwork and pick up the FJ. All that worry for nothing....the vehicle was exactly as represented, no pressure to buy additional items, and the final numbers were exactly as we had discussed. They had it prepped and detailed, sitting out front. One of the easiest vehicle deals I've had. A pleasant experience.

In short, you should be able to get $500 to $700 over invoice without too much difficulty now.

Roll Yellow; Hitch; roof rack; Convenience pkg; upgrade pkg 2; side air bags; arm rest; all weather mats; (ordered my rail/running boards and will install this weekend).
  • hawi7hawi7 Posts: 12
    I compared these two for weeks, test drove both, and dealer priced them both. I got a better deal with an 06 X than a 07 FJ and I liked the looks of the X more in the end. It felt more sporty behind the wheel and I like the growl of the Nissan engine. The visibility issue with the FJ can potentially be dangerous and the rear seats don't lie flat in back. In public, the FJ is a head turner though, at least for now.
  • ga_kingga_king Posts: 4
    I have an '03 Xterra 4x4 and love it.. I have driven both as i was considering a new xterra.. the fj looks kind of fadish to me and the blind spots are endless when driving.. I do think the engine was a little better in the fj, however, overall the Xterra is a much better all around vehicle. :surprise:
  • xtierraxtierra Posts: 55
    i have an 05 xterra and have logged 73,000 miles wich 90% in mexico. I researched through edmunds and consumer reports, then headed to dealership and checked out what separates the "x" "s" "se" "offroad" models. i wanted an s model and the lack of foglights helped me spot it on the parking lot. i checked what options came installed at the factory to avoid requesting those and being charged. i just said no, i dont want that , no i dont need that. it was already in the s model. i will be purchasing a new xterra with the electronic lock wich is the off road model. test drove the fj and was not too impressed. xterra has more horsepower and the fj are being sold too fast with people throwing money at what ever figure the dealership wants. forget about the invoice on the windshield, that was placed by the dealership.. buying ????.00 over invoice is simply paying what they want you to pay. i am concerned about those unexpected flat tires on 1 week old fj. 30,000 for an fj not worth it.... money in the trash.. get an xterra and really appreciate value for your money.
  • summer73summer73 Posts: 1
    Since these are older posts by now, what would everyone say about the Xterra vs FJ now? Now that the hype of the FJ has diminished since it's first introduction, would that be the better vehicle or the Xterra? I live out in the country with some rather bumpy roads, which do you think would hold up better for that? :)
  • hawi7hawi7 Posts: 12
    The Xterra can do everything the FJ can offroad and it looks better, cost less and has better driver visibility. I love my X Offroad 2006 in black. It s a well put together machine!
  • For what it's worth, I've found Nissan quality to be as good or better than Toyota. I've known people who owned Pathfinders and X-terras and had no complaints. And my 1997 Maxima is running like new with 207k on the odometer. Nissan is especially noted for superb engine performance and the X-terra has more power under the hood than the FJ.
2»