Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti M35/M45 and Bluetooth

123457»

Comments

• dhellerdheller Posts: 28
    It depends on who your carrier is, as Verizon and AT&T both adjust the phone settings. I had Treo on Verizon and it had very poor bluetooth connectivy, switched to AT&T and it improved SIGNIFICANTLY, though the model phone was also upgraded to the Treo 750. I also did the upgrade, primarily for the Navigation problem of locking up, and it did not change bluetooth, at least that I can tell. Interestingly, I also tried the Motorola Q, the Samsung Blackjack II, and the Tilt, all on AT&T and the seemed to work equally well, though the Q had some voice volume fluctuations, which I never could get resolved.

Net-net, phone and carrier all exhibit different characteristics with bluetooth on vehicles.
  • cindy30cindy30 Posts: 9
    You have to check to see which phones are compatible. I just had a whole new navigation system installed because I was having so much trouble. It is much better. Still sounds like I am on speaker phone, but at least I don't sound like I am in a tunnel.
    Good luck.
  • ghstudioghstudio Posts: 953
    Just picked up my 2008 M35 with tech. I would like to load the car with my contact directory....and I am frustrated. I have a bluetooth phone (lg8600), I have a bluetooth palm (TX) and I have a laptop with built in bluetooth using outlook with all my contacts.

Surely there must be a way to get my contacts into the car's phone directory, but for the life of me, I can't find it. I see that I can set the car to receive the directory...but none of the devices can send the entire directory...that's normally a sync function.

How do I do this?

Why do I think that the same person that decided that it's unsafe to scroll thru restaurant pages while driving on an interstate (mis-)designed the bluetooth phone interface?
    Go to tools on your phone, then to blue tooth, then to options and press "send to". That should work.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    At least on my model year (06), it only holds about 40 entries, and you must transfer them individually, not en mass.
  • finadvfinadv Posts: 59
    I don't mean to be rude or anything, but you are on a speaker phone. Are you saying that it should sound normal, i.e. like you're just on the phone? Does any car actually work this way? I can't imagine any car would, because in the end, you are talking on a speaker phone. It just so happens that the speaker phone is part of the car.
    But your 06 (and my 06 that I just turned in for an 08) didn't have an option in the phone menu to "transfer directory". Since my 08 has that option, I'd like to understand how to do it even if it is limited to 40 numbers (which I don't think it is).

So the question remains...the M35 sits waiting for a bluetooth directory to be sent via bluetooth. I have all these bluetooth devices and I can't find any way to actually send a directory to the M35. How do you use this function?
    Did you happen to read the user's manual?
    yes...and the manual says close to nothing. My cellphone does not appear to have the built in capability to transfer a directory, only single contacts. The palm and computer can sync a directory, but that's not covered. So the question remains...has anyone been able to download a directory from a palm or a computer over bluetooth?
    Infiniti had phone specific pairing and setup information on their website when I bought mine...have you searched there to see if that is still available?
  • I just purchased an M35x and have an iPhone. I was able to pair my phone via blue tooth, but do not yet understand about the contact book. Clearly the iPhone does not support pushing its contacts to the phone book via bluetooth.

However, is there any alternate way to upload a contact list? Can it be done through the compact flash card? WHat about via the itunes or other cable interface?

Followup question: If i did have a phone that can push the contact list to the M35, is it stored on the hard drive or does it need to access the phone each time? If the first is true, maybe i could use another phone to get my contacts onto the M35 and then switch back to my iPhone?

thanks

Larry
  • I have a sprint samsung phone.
    I go to menu and click on the tools options. The go to bluetooth, then to options and I can connect all the numbers on my phone to the phone directory in the car.
    Therefore I can just say "Dial Cindy Home" and it listens.
    Hope that helps.
  • my question is whether your samsung contacts are stored on the car memory, or if they have to be reloaded each time?

my iphone does not push the contacts.
    I have not followed what, if any, changes to the BT interface have happened over the last years - I have a 2006. On mine, the car will only run from stored numbers and it only holds 40-contacts. To keep from having to manually put them in, it does support sending them over one-by-one via BT. It's been awhile since I did it.

My guess is it MIGHT work from the phone if you have voice recognition on the phone turned on and have recoreded voice prompts in the phone. Haven't tried that.
  • thanks

it is hard to understand why a system with a flash drive and other inputs would not support a simple contact file transfer
  • khaug1khaug1 Posts: 8
    My experience onm our '09 M35x was with a freebie Verizon-branded LG 'phone. Our sales guy got it to synch in 30 seconds in the showroom!

So far, I've not tried to download our 'phone's directory, but the procedure is clearly spelled out in the 'phone's handbook, and I'm optimistic!

-Karl
  • suv44suv44 Posts: 3
    I have a '07 m35. Just got a blackberry Tour and was told that the phone is not compatible. It works, but does not work well. Any ideas to enhance performance and/or retrofit some solution?

Thanks
    You need to have a phone that is compatible with the car or it won't get any better.
    I also had my microphones in the car changed and that helped a little.
    Good luck.
  • As I understand it, the Bluetooth in the car still will not stream music from an iPhone. Is this because the Bluetooth in the car does not support A2DP or some other limitation? Would the Scosche Tunestream device work?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9274778&type=product&id=1218072893- 837&AID=10597222&PID=3357745&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage.j- sp%3FskuId%3D9274778%26type%3Dproduct%26id%3D1218072893837&ref=39&loc=01
  • I'm going to revisit the topic of what phone works well with the M35 as this discussion has not been updated recently. I am aware that Infiniti has the comparable/incomparable bluetooth phones listed on their site, but as someone has already mentioned, the list is not really up to date—and besides, I've not had any luck searching both Verizon's site or Best Buy for phones that will work with my car.
    So, after that long-winded introduction, here's the details of...
    What I have:
    2008 M35x
    currently using ancient Motorola Verizon phone
    What I need:
    BASIC bluetooth phone (Verizon) - no smartphone; no 3G neccessary

:confuse: Does anybody out there have a basic Verizon phone that works with their Infniti which I can easily buy (either through Verizon or another trusted retailer)?
    I've used two different phones with my 2006 M, a very basic Motorola (something like a V580, but that was years ago) in the beginning, and currently a Nokia N95 smart phone. Both work fine. Note, at least on my M, transferring the address book is a tedius and limited operation. My car's memory only holds 40 entries and I was only able to transfer them one-at-a-time between the car and the phone. I do not know if the newer ones changed the operation. you can store a voice tag with the numbers stored in the car. My phone is detected within 60-seconds of starting the car unless it is paired with something else when I get in. I have a BT telephone system (Panasonic) at home that pairs with my phone and lets me use its cordless phones for either the cell or land-line. But, I've got it at the far corner of the house, and it normally drops out when I'm in the garage, so the phone pairs with the car when it comes on.
  • I see that the LG enV and LG enV2 are both approved, but the LG enV3 is still being tested.
    Anyone out there have the enV3 and know whether or not it works with Infiniti?
    My personal take on this is that there is a huge variety of phones available, and Infiniti is unlikely to test each and every model that comes out. BT is a standard, and you'd reasonably expect diverse items to be able to connect. My guess is, unless the phone's firmware is all messed up, nearly any BT phone will work reasonably. Note, I don't know if Infiniti revised their BT interface (I've got a 2006), but the phone book transfer is not very capable at all on any phone. On mine, the car will only store 40 numbers, so you're typical phone's contact list can't be exchanged...you select which ones and do it manually one-by-one.
  • James, I appreciate the reply.
    I guess I really don't get then why there are some phones that Infiniti's own site deems "not comparable" and others that are. Could it be that they're just making things more complicated than they should be???
    All I want to do is have a hands-free phone in my car...that really shouldn't be too much to ask—especially at the prices we've paid.
  • Hello. I just bought an '06 M35X. You can use an RCA Y jack that can purchased from Radio Shack/Best Buy anywhere from $8-$20. Plug in black and red plugs into RCA inputs underneath back seat air flow from the center console. The end of the "y", plugs into your iPhone.

From there, push the "Disc" button as if you were to play a CD. Push Disc button again and the screen will show as an "AUX" input. Once you are at this screen, any music on your iPhone can be played. I even play my favorite internet radio station (Radio Paradise) while driving - very cool!

Hope this helps.
    Scott
  • t1328t1328 Posts: 1
    With respect to Infiti's support for Bluetooth phones (not the music aspect, just the phone), their cars have amongst the worst bluetooth support I've ever seen. I've owned and/or driven cars from all of Infiniti's competitors - BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, etc. They all have far, far better support for bluetooth phones. Bluetooth is supposed to be a standard, but it's implementation has been far from that.

Infinitis without navigation support far more phones than those with navigation, and those with navigation often support phones that are as much as 4 years old only. For example, try to find a Windows Mobile phone that is supported by a 2010 M45 with Navigation. The latest iPhone they support for any Infiniti with nav is the iPhone 3.0. That's a 2 year old phone. And trust me, when they say that a phone is not supported, or they don't list it on their site, it usually means that people can't hear you properly, or you can't hear people properly, etc. I get told I sound like I'm speaking from underwater, or my calls are broken up the whole time, etc. Infiniti is well aware of these issues, but have chosen not to fix them. I personally find this unacceptable for luxury vehicles. As for the iPhone and uploading phone numbers, there are two phone books in modern (post 2007) Infiniti's. One is limited to 40 numbers - that's the one that supports voice command. The other is not limited. You should be able to upload well over 200 contacts to the other one, and then choose which of those you want to transfer to the voice command list.

Unfortunately, the iPhone is the only modern phone on the market that doesn't allow you to upload your contacts at all, not even one at a time. So it can only be used properly in cars like the new M's, which can pull the contacts from the phone, or the 3 year old BMW 3 series, Audis, Lexus, etc., which can all pull the contacts. I don't blame Infiniti for not supporting pulling contacts from the phone. I do blame them for not updating their bluetooth systems to support new phones, and I do blame them for not at a minimum updating their cars with Navi to support the same phones as those supported by cars without navi. It just doesn't make sense that those with Navi have to sacrifice on phone support.

If any of you know of a clean way to replace the bluetooth system in Infiniti's with something else that still feels stock at least, I would be very interested in hearing about it. I have complained by the way to Infiniti Customer Service on a number of occasions in the last 4 years, but to no avail.

Regards,
    T1
  • Hey There,

I read your post and I have an 07 M45 and I am curious if this will work on my car as well. I didnt think there was a difference in the 06 and 07 model. Is there any way to show pictures of what needs to be done because I have no idea where to find the plug ins? Thanks for your help.
  • arcolino11arcolino11 Posts: 10
    hello all, sorry for the abbreviations on the subject line. basically I have blue tooth on the 07 m35x can I stream blue tooth music from my cell phone that also has blue tooth? or is there a way for me to get my music on my cell to come through my car speakers.
  • kneeneeb18kneeneeb18 Posts: 1
    Hi there, hope this helps...

Bluetooth on our cars (I have on 06) only supports phone calls, not audio. You should have the same connections I do in my 06 (Red, White and Yellow Aux behind the arm rest console facing the back seats.

Two decent ways to connect:
    1. Red/White (RCA) to AUX that can go in to your phone's headphone plug. Might get annoying static but you can get a filter that can shut out that noise. On a side note: If you have aftermarket sub-woofers, the filter will not let the low (bass) frequency thru.

2. The same as the above....However, instead of going thru your phone's headphones, buy a Bluetooth car audio player. You may need to buy a female coupler to go from RCA to Belkin. I bought a Belkin Bluetooth Hands-Free Kit from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-BlackBerry-Smartphones/dp/B004- CLYJ2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370036691&sr=8-1&keywords=belkin+car+bluetooth

It's not the best in the world as I am still looking for better ways to connect....
123457»