Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2006 and Newer)

kef27kef27 Posts: 4
This is a new forum to discuss the (confirmed) rumor about the new MX-5 Hard Top, due to be release late this year as a 2007 model. There is little information at this stage. Please feel free to post opinions and/or information as more become available. Here's a taste:

2007 MAZDA MX-5

Product Information Bulletin

May 18, 2006

Last year the newly redesigned MX-5 won the prestigious Japan Car of the Year award as well as being named a Car and Driver 10 best car. Mazda is pleased to announce that for the 2007 model year we are adding a groundbreaking power retractable hard top to the lineup. The power retractable hard top will be the most affordable retractable hard top in the industry in addition to being the only one which does not take up any trunk space. Additionally we expect the open and close time to be class leading. This feature will surely bring in many new customers.

ZOOM ZOOM!!!

Comments

• kef27kef27 Posts: 4
    link:
    http://media.ford.com/mazda/article_display.cfm?article_id=23667&make_id=227

Looks like a power retractable hard top, with a power operated cover. I was hoping for a manual top (to keep weight down). No figures yet on price, weight, etc. Also still no word on a Mazdaspeed MX-5 - we may have to wait a few more years?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I bet we have to wait until 2008-2009 before we see a Mazdaspeed MX-5 again.

When I get my price spec sheet, I will post
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    to capture all generic topics related to the third generation MX-5 including the Hardtop.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 974
    No problem. And here are a couple more pictures of the retractable hard top:

Full Coverage: Retractable Hardtop for Mazda MX-5

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• philmx5philmx5 Posts: 8
    Just bought a 2006 MX-5 and love it. I looked at nearly all the competitors out there and just felt the MX-5 had the right feel and the right price. A few comments and questions, if I may. I like the MX-5 name as opposed to Miata. Not sure why, perhaps it just sounds sportier. To all those who think the MX-5/Miata is a chick's car, I say grow-up macho man. Regarding the hardtop, to me if I am buying a convertible I want a rag top, the retractable hardtop is just wrong. Its like driving with the top down and the windows up. A couple of questions. Is it truly not good for the top to leave it down for short periods of time (like a few days)? Can anyone recommend a cleaning product for the vinyl top or is any vinyl cleaner ok? I have a compass in my rearview mirror in my other car that I have come to depend on. Anyone have ideas about putting something similar in the MX-5? My only regret is that I did not get the upgraded seven speaker sound system. Does anyone know if the three additional speakers are actually in the car just not hooked-up or do they actually install the additional speakers when the system is upgraded? Dumb question, right? Thanks.
    When people try to assault my masculinity by saying it's a chick's car I explain to them that the Boxster is the chick's car :)

P.S. The Brits refer to Miatas as a "hairdresser's car"! And it just won Roadster of the Year in the UK. I say to them - get out the hairspray ;)
    It was also "Care Of The Year" in Japan! To be honest, I see more men driving them then women.

Also, notice how the big, masculine, gas guzzling SUV's are mostly driven by women??

I agree with you on the Boxter...total chick car.
  • carnutzcarnutz Posts: 4
    Did you guys get a "valet" key with your new vehicle?
    no valet key.
  • l82rayl82ray Posts: 1
    Ola,
    I'm the proud new owner of my 1st Miata. It's an 06'Limited with black interior (1407/3500). I've noticed a white dot on the drivers rear tail light lenses, it looks purposefully put there by a paint pen maybe or it might just be a error. Is this a factory check or a point
    for a sensor to read? It's about an eighth inch in diameter in the center. Thanks
    I don't have a Limited Edition MX-5 but there are no dots on my rear tail lights.
  • sthomasthoma Posts: 1
    I was also set to buy 2006 MX-5 but have decided to order the new 2007 RHT instead. Top down, it's the same thrilling ride as the soft top. Top up, it will have better handling, stiffer ride, quieter cabin, and better security than the soft top version. New top does not take any trunk space, will take 12 seconds to raise or lower, and only adds about 70lbs to car. It's a little pricier but no more than someone buying a removeable hard top for their soft top car. And, with retractable, I won't have to decide before I leave the house whether to bolt hard top or not. IMO, the RHT raises the ante and brings some new practicality that many other roadsters won't be able to match. The MX-5 soft version will still be available for those who prefer it but I think the RHT is going to be a big hit once people start seeing them on the street later this year. Zoom zoom!
    The pricing is the big question right now. I agree with your assesment though. I am sure it will be priced on top of equivalent base GT (currently $25K), so we are talking close to $28K without any option packages. Still worth it especially if it is an everyday driver year round.

Anyone got any firm pricing?
    still no pricing yet. I'm guessing it will start roughly $1,500-$2,000 over each current trim level.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    I'm guessing it will start roughly $1,500-$2,000 over each current trim level.

I've been hearing numbers quite a bit higher...but nothing solid.
  • allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Posts: 113
    I am just wondering, what other cars did you test~drive? What did you think about them?
    I drove a used Nissan 350Z which I loved but it just felt too big and flashy (and expensive). A used BMW Z3 which I thought had a similar feel to the MX-5 but not quite as smooth. I also didn't want the BMW repair bills. The Mini Cooper was too small and I really only wanted a two-seater. They wouldn't let me drive a Saturn Sky but just sitting it in it felt too big and I hated the expansive and cheap looking dash board, difficult operation of the top, and lack of storage/trunk space. Same for the Soltice. The Audi TT was ok but I didn't want front wheel drive.

I was not a big Miata fan before the 2006 model and my wife was surprised when I told her I was going to look them. But in the end, I felt the MX-5 was the right size, handled great, looks nice, priced right, and has a great reputation for reliability. The 2006 model just seemed to have everything going for it and no negatives. I have had it about 5 weeks now and put about 800 miles on it and I love it. Everyone that sees it comments on what a nice job Mazda did with the redesign. If you are looking at roadsters, don't buy one without giving the MX-5 a try.
    I've been hearing numbers quite a bit higher...but nothing solid

I have been hearing a bunch of different numbers too.
    Sport w/5 speed manual $24,910
    Touring w/6 speed manual $25,660
    Touring w/6 speed AT $26,760
    Grand Touring w/6 speed manual $26,920
    Grand Touring w/6 speed AT $28,020

All prices are MSRP and include Mazda destination charge of $560.

It looks like I was right in assuming $2000 over rag top trim lines. :D :shades:
  • I purchased a 2006 with the normal softtop and am quite pleased with its top up experience. Looking at the details of the retractable top, I wonder if the storage boxes behind each seat and above the center console will disappear to make the top fit in the existing well. I also wonder about the "estimated" 75 pound penalty for this top. Seems to me it would be more...well see.

As for the need for this top, I think this is sending the car in the wrong direction (I'm guessing most buyers of this top will get the automatic...) The car is supposed to be modern but minimalistic and Mazda supposedly went to a lot of trouble to reduce weight (no spare! for example) and now this top? I went and got a space saving spare that fits in the trunk (I use the car as a toy to go to and from the office in Washington DC and really don't want to have the car towed because our crappy streets damaged a wheel or tire more than the silly foam fill up kit could handle.)

Finally, if I want a real retractable hardtop to drive I'll just go into my garage and drive my 1959 Ford Skyliner Retractable.