Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2006 and Newer)

Comments

• ttbuyerttbuyer Posts: 19
    Where did you get the '07 prices? I have been searching the web with no luck.

I am pleased to see that the hardtop will be available in the "Sport" trim.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Where did you get the '07 prices?

They are on my dealer system. I don't think they are posted to the public yet. They are correct.

I do not think that this will be a vehicle that is produced in the masses like the regular MX-5. I was only allocated 1 last month. But, I guess we will see.

Apparently, it is supposed to be the fastest power retractable hard top on the market! I can't wait.
  • alaw35alaw35 Posts: 5
    Any idea of when dealerships will get the RHT in stock? I am struggling in a purchase decision between the MX-5 and a Nissan 350Z. I love them both for different reasons. If I get the Z I am getting a 2005 anniversary edition with about 10K miles on it. It is a wonderful car, but then I look at the MX-5 and I really enjoy it as well. I would love to be able to test the RHT model before deciding.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    It's a mazda, discounts are the norm.
    Any idea of when dealerships will get the RHT in stock?

Hopefully, November/December. Could be earlier.

The MX-5 and the 350Z are two totally different cars. However, the MX-5 is a true roadster and owns a spot in the Guiness Book of World Records for most 2-seater roadsters sold. Also has as close to a bullet proof track record as you can get, with great resale value.

The 350Z I have found to be great moving in a straight line. Lots of power. It's handling leaves much to be desired.

It all depends on what you are looking for. Good Luck.
  • gputzgputz Posts: 49
    I do not think that this will be a vehicle that is produced in the masses like the regular MX-5. I was only allocated 1 last month. But, I guess we will see.

My local dealer said he is only getting one as well. Probably a Grand Touring with all the options. And, forget the prices quoted above, this will be a rare car for those who are willing to pay WAY above sticker to get something unique... just like the original Miata.... Too bad.
    My local dealer says he will be sticking to MSRP for upcoming orders on the RHT. What do people think about the demand for this car? Is MSRP a good price or would a smart buyer wait six months and hope the car does not have a waiting list with a premium over MSRP? There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest or demand yet... Will anyone want these? I live in the northeast and a hardtop is more appealing than a fabric or vinyl roof. Is that a common opinion?
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    If I didn't have 2 cars I would buy the HT. I assume MSRP will be the norm up here in the Northeast. Inventory of the soft tops is going up in the Boston area so discounts on 2006s should be good though.
  • Have a 06 GT (Grand touring). Within 1 week, large door speaker would give totally distorted sound about 10-20% of start ups. Trim below drivers door squeaks on entry and egress. Bose auto sound adjustment doesn't work. Took it in - speaker acting up earlier that morning but not at dealer. Service manager said they would not look at it as it would ocnstitute fraud to work on a 'sound' car. I could not believe it and told him it was not everyday that I sought to have my new car door pulled apart for no reason. Also wouldn't unplug driver seat belt chime even though owner's manual instructs owners to get dealer to turn it off if you desire. I bought this car because of its outstanding quality reputation. So far like the car a lot, hate the bugs and the terrible dealer (mis)service.
    Wait. Like all Mazdas the price will drop. Eventually - within 6-8 months it'll be at invoice or near. within a year it'll be a sub-invoice car like just about everything else they sell. Mazda sells great cars but their target market is a niche - people who like to drive - so generally their cars sell for far less than msrp.
    (MOVED FROM THE MX-5/SOLSTICE DISCUSSION THREAD)

I just placed my first allocation order for 2 2007 MX-5 RHT(Retractable Hard Top)yesterday.

1 Stormy Blue with Saddle RHT GT/6 Speed with Premium Package and 1 Copper Red with Saddle RHT GT/Auto.

Has anyone seen the new Stormy Blue Metallic? Is that the color seen in most of the RHT promos? Lighter or darker than Stratos Blue?

Upcoming RHT - Mazda site

I checked the status of my first MX-5 Power Retractable Hard Top, and it is on the water, headed my way! I should have it on my lot come end of September!
    name a car company that actually sells their vehicles at or near MSRP for anything longer then 6 months? Honda no, those are given away. Toyota, nope, given away as well. Any American vehicle besides the Vette and Mustang? Nope. Not even Lexus or Acura are sold at MSRP. I have a friend that works for a BMW dealership, and even those are given away close to invoice!!

I'm a dealer and I believe MSRP is a ficticous number. Of course, I am going to always try and sell a vehicle at the number, that's my job, but, it is tough to do ,unless it is a vehicle of high demand.
    I love mazdas but compared to the big dogs like Lexus, toyota, honda, it's nigh impossible for them to sell at close to msrp. Hell, the Mazdaaspeed6 started on dealer lots with 2500 dealer cash (lease the car, then buyout the lease).

I believe compared to other japanese makes, Mazdas have a much tougher time selling at msrp. That's been my experience when shopping for myself and others. Below invoice is often within the realm of possibility for Mazda.

Regardless, it looks like the RHT will be 2400 more in the UK but that comes with extra packaging too. Hopefully that'll mean less than a 2k bump for the RHT in the USA.
    name a car company that actually sells their vehicles at or near MSRP for anything longer then 6 months?

MINI has been a big exception, but I get your point. I guess it comes down to those with patience usually getting the better deal. I'm just trying to speculate if this WILL be a high demand vehicle, and if so, for how long. Even after the initial novelty wears off, I imagine this will still be something of a lower volume niche car. Purists will stay away because it isn't a "rag" top, but cold winter regions may have a lot of interest...people like me. The unanswerable question is whether or not the demand will be greater than supply over the long-term. That's all that matters.

It's like trying to time the stock market. Some people guess right and make a profit; others buy at the wrong time and lose money.

We're probably talking a difference of $2k or so from initial peak to the discounted lifecycle so we'll have to decide if it's worth risking "overpaying" about that much.
    With the pricing I have received from Mazda, it is about a $2K bump in price for each trim level.

It probably will sell at MSRP for quite some time, but, this is the car business, ya never know what will happen...

I do happen to agree with selling Mazda's a lower price to compete with other [non-permissible content removed] brands to some extent. One reason in Honda/Toyota are recognized brands, and people will walk into a dealership and just pick out a color, and sign papers. Here at Mazda, we have to work a bit harder for the sale, because Mazda is not as well known. Mazda makes great cars, but, they are very small. Every deal comes down to dollars and cents, and if selling low makes them go, then that is what we will do.
    Hey folks - the HT has no roadster competition until the high $40s with an SLK. This will push the price higher if the demand is there. VW EOS is interesting but not as sports oriented.
    I've decided to wait for at least a few months before considering a RHT. I am interested in the GT model with suspension and Premium pkgs and at MSRP, the price is just too high. Bottom line, this will approach $31k and I think that may be a difficult price point to maintain for this car.

I also read a review that highlighted the significant changes made to the car to support the RHT. This is much more than just a power roof.

The top opening had to be enlarged to allow the new mechanism and this weakened the body structure. Additional body reinforcements had to be specified. F/R balance and center of mass points have changed and the suspension was reworked to compensate. The reviewer praised the effort but said the feel of the RHT is somewhat "less brisk" and "more refined". I'm sure it's very close to the soft top, but I expect those looking for a no compromise sports car will not be drawn to the RHT. This car may attract new customers who prefer style and function over driving experience.

I think waiting until early next year (middle of winter here) will be a better time to buy... I'll find out! ;)
    24k for the base Mazda RHT? Nice! If one can live with the normal headlights, that's a 22-23k hardtop convertible.

Add on the xenon package and you're at maybe 27-28k before normal discounts. Wow.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/16/mazda-announces-u-s-pricing-for-mx-5-power-re- tractable-hard-top/
    If this is a year round car - then the HT is the way to go in the Boston area.

If not - the inventory is up for the 06s. Double what I have seen since May. So it may be possible to pick up a GT for 23K right now. Also, the 06s have a 4-year versus the 07's 3-year warranty. Pay less - get more.

If I was going to spend $32K on one of these babies - I would hold out for a Mazdaspeed version. But in the meantime the ragtop GT can keep you happy until such a car exists.
    Also, the 06s have a 4-year versus the 07's 3-year warranty. Pay less - get more.

The 2007 warranty also includes a 5yr-60K engine power train warranty, as opposed to 2006 of 4yr-50.
  • My experience trying to open the roof in a showroom for about 20 min. I am a small woman with short arms & I could not open the roof as hard as I tried. The saleswomen also had a difficult time. My arms ached & I gave up & did not buy the car. I was told that an automatic roof will be available in Nov. with a substantial increase in the price of the car. I am not sure that I will wait & see. Still looking at other cars.
    Sounds like you were not getting much help. Once you release the main latch at the top of the windshield, you can almost push the roof back over the seats with one finger. Either something was wrong with this particular car or the salesperson was not sure how to work the latch.
    Yeah sounds like either a defective top or an idiot salesperson.

The price hike on the motorized hardtop is not substantial at all. It's less than $1800.
    CX-7, Miata Highlights Mazda’s July
    Mazda reported sales of 25,963 vehicles for July, accounting for a five percent increase over the same period last year. Sales of the all-new CX-7 crossover SUV reached 2,129 units, while the MX-5 Miata posted its best July since 2000 with sales of 1,565 units.

http://www.aiada.org/newsroom/newsDetails.aspx?id=57208
    Just for some updated info on availability.

So far, I have been only allocated 2. I do not see this vehicle being in huge supply. More or less a nitch vehicle with low production numbers, similar to the Mazdaspeed3.
    What's the word on the MS3? October? November? I really want to get rid of my 330i and a Mazdaspeed3 or Mazda MX5 RHT would make me happier than going back to VW (the only other contender at this moment).
    What's the word on the MS3? October? November?

That sounds about right. My first allocated MS3 has been asigned a VIN, so, that car is about 8 weeks or so away.