Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2006 and Newer)

Comments

• manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    but the effective net difference might be more like $3K if these puppies don't get discounted as much.
  • gypsy123gypsy123 Posts: 4
    Hi. I am also a proud owner of a limited edition MX5, 2006 (246/3500) and no there is no white dot on my tail lense. I do have a question however. The other day a rattle noise started. This occurs when the car is running and is in neutral with the clutch not depressed. The dealer says this is normal, but it never happened before. Dealer says it is "over gearing" or something like that. Have you had the same problem. I have a service appt. set up.
  • My car doesn't do this. Sounds like the usual "they all do it" response whenever a dealer can't be bothered to step up to the plate and admit something needs attention.
    Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate that. Yes, I was a bit miffed at the fact the dealer gave me that guip answer too. I intend to make that fully known when I bring it in for service. Both my husband and I have read other owners opinions of this car and no one is having this same problem. So, for the Dealer to state that "It is normal" is very upsetting. I have a different rattle noise also in the passenger side dash or passenger side door, and the same person at the dealer said, are you sure the sound isnt coming from the lever that operates the convertible top? I said absolutely not. He replied that "I must be the first".
    Wish me luck.
    When I picked up my new MX5 from the dealership and drove out of the lot, I did not get but three miles from the dealership when the check engine light came on. I immediately called the salesman as the service desk was closed. He made an appointment for me for the next morning. The car was driveable. Upon evaluation, I was told that my car needed a new Cataletic (sp?)Converter!!
    I was very angry. The dealer received it Fed Ex the next day and installed it. Then the entire exhaust system coded out when they ran a check!! I was told that most likely the car sat for a period of time on the ocean freight liner when it was out of gas, and this was why this happened. Well, not that I can understand that an empty gas tank could cause the entire exhaust system to fail, I had to correct the service manager. He had forgotten that the dealership in fact had let it run out of gas. I know this because I wanted to take it for a test drive and they thought the battery was dead. They tried to jump the car and it did not work. I was finally told that the car was out of gas. This is how I know. Anyway...this was the only limited edition available at the time around here, so I did not want to return it to the dealer. In order to fix the car, the dealer had to remove a complete exhaust system from another MX5 and put it on my car. It has been ok since then, but I am wondering if anyone else may have experienced this type of problem with their brand new car, or heard of such a crazier thing happening due to the car running out of gas.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Sounds like the usual "they all do it" response whenever a dealer can't be bothered to step up to the plate and admit something needs attention.

now think about what you just posted....it makes no sense. Why wouldn't the dealer want to "step up to the plate" and fix a problem?
  • philmx5philmx5 Posts: 8
    You ask why wouldn't a dealer want to step up to the plate and fix a problem. I can't answer that but I believe there are such dealers out there. I haven't experienced it with my new Mazda but can tell you I have experienced such treatment. I bought a new Subaru Outback 6 years ago and within 2 months the windshield had 3 separate cracks in it. I took it back to the dealer explaining that I felt it was not installed properly had was getting stress cracks. They insisted I had rocks hit it. I tried to reason with them explaining in my nearly 20 years of owning multiple cars I had a total of one other crack. Regardless they wouldn't do anything (not even pay my insurance deductible). I replaced the windshield on my own and amazingly six years later, no cracks in the new windshield. Needless to say I never went back to that dealer for service and am very quick to steer others away from going there. Why they don't step up to the plate is something only they can answer. I agree it doesn't makes sense (but it does happen).
  • Philmx5:

I love the manual drop top as it is a quick up or down at a stop light with no worries.

I have left mine down a few time for a while. It collects dirt without the boot. The newer manual with the outside facing up is nice.

Cleaning? Simple Green took off 6 years worth of dirt off my tan top and made it look brand spanking new with no ill effects on the top that I ever could see. I used it with a brush with bristles.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    In all fairness, it was not to dealers fault for you having the windshield not installed properly. That would be a Subaru issue. Why should the dealer have to pay out of their pocket for something that was not their fault? If Subaru is not going to back the dealer and give the dealer the money to do the repair, chances are, no dealer will perform that work for free. When it comes to a mechanical issue on a new car, like the previous poster had, the part 9 times out of 10 is warrantied., and the dealer is reimbursed from the manufacturer. So, basically, because Subaru of America did not back up their craftsmenship, you now bad mouth the private dealer. That makes no sense.

There are instances where dealers do not step up to the plate, when they should, and then there are those that do...I don't think that your case was one of them, but, thats just my opinion.
  • philmx5philmx5 Posts: 8
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. IMO the dealer represents Subaru of America and should have stepped up to the plate by calling Subaru of America on their customer's behalf instead of making excuses. (BTW why wouldn't a faulty installation be covered under warranty? The place that installed the new one provided a warranty.) For $50 that dealer lost untold business. Now that makes no sense. Anyway, not worth belaboring the point any further. I have no complaints with my Mazda dealer. They have contacted me twice after the sale to make sure everthing is ok. I would not hesitate to send customers their way. :)
  • ttbuyerttbuyer Posts: 29
    Where did you get the '07 prices? I have been searching the web with no luck.

I am pleased to see that the hardtop will be available in the "Sport" trim.
    Where did you get the '07 prices?

They are on my dealer system. I don't think they are posted to the public yet. They are correct.

I do not think that this will be a vehicle that is produced in the masses like the regular MX-5. I was only allocated 1 last month. But, I guess we will see.

Apparently, it is supposed to be the fastest power retractable hard top on the market! I can't wait.
  • alaw35alaw35 Posts: 5
    Any idea of when dealerships will get the RHT in stock? I am struggling in a purchase decision between the MX-5 and a Nissan 350Z. I love them both for different reasons. If I get the Z I am getting a 2005 anniversary edition with about 10K miles on it. It is a wonderful car, but then I look at the MX-5 and I really enjoy it as well. I would love to be able to test the RHT model before deciding.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    It's a mazda, discounts are the norm.
    Any idea of when dealerships will get the RHT in stock?

Hopefully, November/December. Could be earlier.

The MX-5 and the 350Z are two totally different cars. However, the MX-5 is a true roadster and owns a spot in the Guiness Book of World Records for most 2-seater roadsters sold. Also has as close to a bullet proof track record as you can get, with great resale value.

The 350Z I have found to be great moving in a straight line. Lots of power. It's handling leaves much to be desired.

It all depends on what you are looking for. Good Luck.
  • gputzgputz Posts: 49
    I do not think that this will be a vehicle that is produced in the masses like the regular MX-5. I was only allocated 1 last month. But, I guess we will see.

My local dealer said he is only getting one as well. Probably a Grand Touring with all the options. And, forget the prices quoted above, this will be a rare car for those who are willing to pay WAY above sticker to get something unique... just like the original Miata.... Too bad.
  • gputzgputz Posts: 49
    My local dealer says he will be sticking to MSRP for upcoming orders on the RHT. What do people think about the demand for this car? Is MSRP a good price or would a smart buyer wait six months and hope the car does not have a waiting list with a premium over MSRP? There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest or demand yet... Will anyone want these? I live in the northeast and a hardtop is more appealing than a fabric or vinyl roof. Is that a common opinion?
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    If I didn't have 2 cars I would buy the HT. I assume MSRP will be the norm up here in the Northeast. Inventory of the soft tops is going up in the Boston area so discounts on 2006s should be good though.
  • Have a 06 GT (Grand touring). Within 1 week, large door speaker would give totally distorted sound about 10-20% of start ups. Trim below drivers door squeaks on entry and egress. Bose auto sound adjustment doesn't work. Took it in - speaker acting up earlier that morning but not at dealer. Service manager said they would not look at it as it would ocnstitute fraud to work on a 'sound' car. I could not believe it and told him it was not everyday that I sought to have my new car door pulled apart for no reason. Also wouldn't unplug driver seat belt chime even though owner's manual instructs owners to get dealer to turn it off if you desire. I bought this car because of its outstanding quality reputation. So far like the car a lot, hate the bugs and the terrible dealer (mis)service.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Wait. Like all Mazdas the price will drop. Eventually - within 6-8 months it'll be at invoice or near. within a year it'll be a sub-invoice car like just about everything else they sell. Mazda sells great cars but their target market is a niche - people who like to drive - so generally their cars sell for far less than msrp.