Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Land Cruiser Maintenance and Repair

uwahuskyuwahusky Posts: 17
I just hit 30k miles on my 2003 LandCruiser and called the nearest dealer to ask about the 30k mile check up or maintenance.

They quoted me $699, which seems ridiculously high. Is this really needed or will I be just fine with regular oil changes, etc.

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what the manufacturer recommends be done and will estimate what it should cost in your zip code.

Steve, Host
  • katlkatl Posts: 1
    parked and locked in driveway -usually garaged- during heavy thunderstorms and horn went off and blared continuosly unitl i started the engine. this is the horn not the alarm intermittant/light flashing sequence.an hour later same thing happened: horn stopped when engine was started. so we put it in the garage and same thing happened a few minutes later but this time after starting the engine and the horn finally stopped my husband pushed the horn pad on the steering column and the horn turned on again and would not stop until we pulled the fuse. note: there was also a high pitched whining sound that was heard after the horn was stopped by starting the engine the 3x. it stopped after the fuse was pulled the 4th /final time. car was driven earlier in the day with no problems. horn had not been used recently. vehicle has also been maintained accoring to the owners manual by same toyota dealer since it was purchased from same brand new dec 2001.... we do not work on it ourselves. toyota dealer had it for 3 hours the next day and could not duplicate the problem. they resettled the horn components on the steering column. no recurring problems yet. any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks!
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Posts: 402
    Have to look at my shop manual, but from memory (getting less reliable these days) this service involves oil, trans fluid, TCase and differential lube changes along with a new air filter and the usual tire rotations. You can do this all yourself if you'd like to. The front diff is a bit difficult to reach, but the other areas are fairly accessible. Guesstimate of parts and oil etc--$150 or so?

One caution if you do these lube changes yourself on the TCase and diffs, undo the fill plug BEFORE the drain plugs. Last thing you want is to drain all the oil and find that you can't get the fill plugs loose! Also, a cheap alternative to a tranny flush is to drain the pan only and refill with fresh trans fluid about every 10K

HTH
  • llama_boyllama_boy Posts: 1
    I have been working for the US government in Honduras for the last few years. I have a incredibly reliable 1980 Diesel Toyota Landcruiser with a winch that has mustered the most extreme of terrains. I want to drive it back with me to the states. Obviously there are no vehicle standards in Honduras.

Can I bring my Toyota back? What kind of standards must it meet. I have done much work on it, and can still do some more.

Any ideas?
  • 4toys4toys Posts: 14
    The leather steering wheel on my 1995 Cruiser needs to be replaced. The Toyota dealership estimated @$950 to replace it. Ouch!
    What's broken with the current one?
  • halfbaphalfbap Posts: 1
    has anyone encountered a problem with the wheel studs shearing on a toyota landcruiser or any toyota 4 x 4
    The leather is coming apart, just worn out. I tried area seat cover shops but they don't do that type of work. I guess the airbag is a problem also if you have to take the steering wheel off.
    I'd look around for a aftermarket leather cover to lace on, but I'm cheap. :shades:
  • hprjrhprjr Posts: 24
    I'm due for the 90,000 mile service on our'01 LC-what are you members been paying for this service? Thanks for your help.
    I think I may try a leather repair kit that I found on the internet. It may work. If it reconditions seats then it should work on the steering wheel right?
    I was browsing some of the covers last night - the ones you sew on look pretty good although it's hard to tell just from the net pics. A repair kit is worth a shot before spending a grand. :blush:
  • Hi hprjr,

I just had a 90K service performed on my 2000 LC. You can expect to pay around $1,000 with the timing belt replacement. However, if it needs a water pump and/or other work...add some more $$.

I tend to do most of my own intermediate work and have the dealer/mechanics do the 15K/30K interval services. The 90K seems to be pretty important because of the timing belt.

Scott
  • Recently the back door power windows on my '00 LC go up extremely slow. I have lubricated the rubber tracks and it does not seem to help. The front windows move up and down smoothly and quickly. The rear windows move down smoothly and quickly but up is very slow and, at times, they even stop and require manual assistance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Scott
    Scott, thanks for your reply-seems $800 is the avg. on what I've been quoted-4 out the 4 dealerships I contacted initially gave my a price of a 30k service (approx $400)-only when I told them I needed the recommended timing belt replacement did they add another $390-also some included spark plugs and some did not. Lexus dealersips want an average of 1200 for the exact same service for the LX470. Gotta love those profit margins!
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide estimates around $300 for the 90,000 mile service on an '01 TLC with the 4.7L 8 cylinder 4A engine for my zip code. The 30k service is about the same price.

I don't see a timing belt replacement recommendation for the '01 for any mileage; if someone has the manual handy who can quote the recommendation, I'll pass it along so the guide can be updated. Thanks.
  • You're pricing is about the same as I discovered as a base (my local dealer's 90K service was $416). However, according to my '00 manual, timing belt replacement is required. I am not sure why Edmunds wouldn't list this... Furthermore, while they have dismantled the front of the engine, I am going to have them repair anything else that they find because I don't want to do this again later. Therefore, they replaced the serpentine belt and the water pump. Plus add in the shop misc costs and taxes...

BTW, Lexus service around here is $95/hour; Toyota service is $65/hour. How do you think the Lexus shop pays for all the "free" food & drink and the leather chairs in the waiting room?
    Thanks again for your reply-I'll ask them to check the water pump and serpentine belt (which I usually replace every time it starts the cold squealing syndrome) since I plan on keeping her for another 90k. Have you ever had the valves adjusted?
    I used the leather repair kit on the steering wheel and it worked great. You can not tell that a repair was made. I think I saved $1000. Thanks for the suggestion.
    That's fun - I don't suppose you took any before and after photos you can post on your CarSpace page. :shades: