Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 Real World MPG

191011121315»

Comments

• I feel the same way with my 05 2.4L 4WD Rav4. It gets the same overall milage (21-23) as my 03 3.5L Maxima. On the highway when speed is above 60mph, it actually gets worse milage (3-5mpg lower) than the Maxima.

I'm keeping an eye on the Mazda CX5 as a potential replacement.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    Consumer Report sure seems to like the CX5.
    Kip
  • Yeah.

I understand that it has a much smaller engine with lower hp and torque. But I'm not dragracing anyone. I just need a small SUV that has a capable AWD system and better FE. So far, the CX5 seems to fit the requirement.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    My wife had a 95 Maxima. Purchased new, when they first hit the dealers. It was such an improvement over the 94s.

Interesting that, with the 3.5, the HP was rated at 190 and required Premium fuel.

Seems her '09 RAV4 has 170hp from the 2.4l four banger on regular fuel.

It certainly doesn't run as strong as that Maxima did, but the fuel mileage is slightly better with the RAV4. Bout the best we could get from the Maxima was 21 local and 28 Hyway. Of course we (I) probably ran the Maxima a bit harder! ;)

Kip
  • kjtg1kjtg1 Posts: 12
    2013 rav4 first tank 24.46 mpg.
  • quarksterquarkster Posts: 13
    New 2012 V6 FWD, slightly over 1K miles on odometer, getting around 23-24 MPG in city & heavy stop-n-go daily commute, a little over 28 MPG at 70 MPG on clear freeways. Fuel consumption will almost certainly continue to improve as driveline gets fully broken-in. On our 1998 Camry and 2000 4Runner, fuel consumption continued to gradually improve until full break-in was achieved at ~6-8k miles. 270HP V6 acceleration is shocking in a vehicle this light, and engine is turning less than 2k RPM at 70 MPH.
  • gunga64gunga64 Posts: 271
    This is interesting, I came across this old thread by mistake and didnt remember it. I had to add that Mythbusters tested MPG and AC and if I remember right the AC and windows open without AC. The AC actually was slightly better If I recall the episode. No way in hell do I drive a car with windows closed in Florida.

Also you can adjust your driving habits and really crank out MPG, I drove to GA one year with my Santa Fe and on cruise I got 30 MPG if I set the cruise say at 58 miles per hour for hours of driving. If I went like 60 MPH it could drop the MPG by 5% easily.

The funny thing is recently, I drove from the dealership to home it was about a twenty mile drive. I reset the MPG indicator on the SUV. I basically set the cruise to like 40-45 and somehow missed every light. I was totally amazed to make it all the way home with 29 MPG.

I read how some people in Prious can push their MPG to like 100 by doing all kinds of tricks while driving. They would coast or drive so they didnt stop at lights etc.
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    edited November 2013
    2nd tank computer recorded 45.2MPG (ECO mode on) 52-58mph highway miles. City is at least 35+MPG. I bought it new under 200 miles.