Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 Real World MPG

Comments

• heel2toeheel2toe Posts: 149
    It is especially perplexing that they are only offering a 4 speed AT on the I4 RAV4 given that the Camry uses the same engine and is equipped with a 5 speed.
  • thecatthecat Posts: 528
    I don't know about the CVT but I doubt that the 4 cyl has enough torque to use the 5 spd that's used in the v6
    Toyota sells a 5 speed AT hooked into the same I4 engine in the Camry.

Unless there is some strange engineering principle at play here, I'd say that means including a 4 speed AT on a new vehicle design like the RAV4 is a cost-cutting measure.
  • selimselim Posts: 4
    I am getting 26 highway and about 20-21 city mileage with 87 octane. No matter what I do I couldn't increase the city mpg. Other than this over EPA problem I really like the RAV4.
  • thecatthecat Posts: 528
    I don't know about strange engineering. It's a rather simple principal. The RAV weights more than the Camry.
    I highly doubt that Toyota has problems having the engineering expertise to mate a 5 speed automatic transmission to the I4 RAV, but that's just me.

Manufacturers know how to game the EPA ratings process and it has been compromising highway mileage ratings for years...
  • roman1roman1 Posts: 12
    My second tank of gas (87 Octane) in San Diego, CA was 25.84 mpg. :) . It is slightly lower than my first tank, and it's related to the heavily AC use. It's been hot down here last week. Results based on 70% highway & 30% city. I haven't driven higher than 72 mph yet. Mostly keeping higway speed at 70. :D
  • tadams01tadams01 Posts: 1
    4 cyl. 4x4 base
    1st full tank, city driving with AC on 24 mpg.
    2nd tank mostly rural highway 29.5 mpg, and packed with band equipment and AC cranked.
    So far I'm very pleased with both the mileage and the vehicle.
  • spacewagonspacewagon Posts: 16
    4cyl, 4x2 base, 3700 miles

today: temperature 75c, tire presure 40 Psi, no wind, speed 70mph, 7 hours pure flat highway, 30.38mpg
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    temperature 75c

Of course, you meant 75 F. (75 C = 167 F)

tidester, host
  • jarekjarek Posts: 24
    Sport 2.4L Auto 4x4, 400miles.

I have just finished second tank. I am terrified! 16.9mpg
    Mixed city/highway 70/30. AC all the time on. Very, very easy on gas pedal. Temp. 100F, humidity 60%+
    That is worst than my Tahoe with 5.3L V8 driving the same conditions.
    What's wrong?
    jarek
  • Sounds bad but it normal if you do short trips (under 2-3 miles) and lots of idling with AC on. My wife gets 16 mpg in city in her V6.
    What's your location?
    Currently I live in Dubai. I rather do not idle that much. Will have first 1000 miles service soon and need to check this.
  • charles64charles64 Posts: 13
    Bought my 2006 4WD Limited 4-cyl RAV-4 in February 2006. I now have about 5300 miles on it. Overall mix is about 50/50 hwy/local driving. The best mileage I have tracked is about 25.5 mpg on a hwy trip. For mostly local driving I get around 20-21 mpg. I use regular unleaded (87 octane). Got an all-time low of 19 mpg over July 4 while sitting in a traffic jam getting out of town.

Not sure why this is so low compared to the mpg on the sticker. Maybe I am still trying to drive it like the 240 hp car I sold when I bought the RAV 4 baby buggy.....

Side note - has anyone else noticed a sluggish transmission on this vehicle?
    Re slow transmission - look into Problems and Solutions for lots of details about this issue. There is no solution to it that I would hear of. You can also log on rav4world.com for more.

jerr
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    3rd tank mix city/highway - 20mpg
    4th tank highway only - 23.5mpg.
    91 octants only and now 800miles on it.
    Its getting better but still disappointing.

jerr
  • roman1roman1 Posts: 12
    My 3rd tank of gas was 24.65 mpg.

Here is the history so far:

1st tank 26.44 mpg
    2nd tank 25.84 mpg
    3rd tank 24.65 mpg

NOTE: all mix driving 65% highway + 35% city .

Conclusion: Yes the mileage has been slipping away because I have strarted to drive just a little more on the normal side (70-75 mph on Freeway) and not driving like an grandma anymore. I will keep you all posted.
  • I am on my third RAV4, third body style, and also the worst gas mileage. I have a 4cyl, drive like an old lady when I have to, and my best mpg is 23 with mixed city/highway. I called the dealership and they confided with me that the testing Toyota does does not include going above 48mpg, or any stop and go traffic!
    Well, this would explain a lot. Is there any Toyota representative on this forum to confirm Steve's information?

jarek