Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 Real World MPG

Comments

• rstibbettsrstibbetts Posts: 5
    2007 V6 AWD with about 1300 miles. Have now filled up four times.

Tank 1 22.2 MPG. Lots of suburban stop-go.
    Tank 2 27.6 MPG All HWY miles against a head wind
    Tank 3 25.4 MPG Mostly HWY miles
    Tank 4 24.4 MPG HWY miles against a headwind and speeding

I think the vehicle will get very close to posted MPG if driven reasonably. Overall I am pleased, as it is close to Highlander Hybrid without the extra cost.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    Agreed - 4WD and AWD tend to mean different things to different people anyway. I subscribe to the definitions given at the beginning of the thread tidester linked to, which places the RAV4 in the AWD camp, regardless of the "4WD" badge on the back door.

Keeping on topic - having put some additional highway miles on I've found that 28 mpg is easily achievable and with an effort to drive for economy I can crack 30 mpg.
  • zivbndzivbnd Posts: 4
    I am a bit surprised by my mileage, my 2007 I4 RAV4 is getting about 17.5 mpg with the AC on (down from 21.5 average in the spring) with a light foot. I was expecting to get about 90% of the EPA numbers which is what I got in the cooler months, not the 75% I am getting now. Would an axle back exhaust system help? I can't find a catback system for the RAV4. Would a better air intake system be of any use?

(I have read a lot of the comments on the forum, and haven't found any mentions of anything that might help, which makes me wonder if I am not being realistic about trying to improve the mileage, even if it just gets me to 20 mpg w/ac. Filling up every 250 miles is getting kind of irritating.)
  • First fill up, V6, 4x4, 25.1 mpg average. this was about 1 100 mile trip on highway plus 250 miles of 5 mile at a time in town driving. Excellent!
  • I have a 2007 Rav4 V6 AWD with less then 2000 miles, I am only getting around 18 mpg (NYC area).
  • dtown40dtown40 Posts: 18
    I have always kept very close tabs on fuel consumption in my vehicals I have a 2007 Rav4 2WD, with a V6 engine. With only 3000 or so miles on it so far, my worst mileage has been 21.6, and my best mileage has been 28.1. From my own experience, fuel economy seems to drop a bit in the summer months, then in winter. I suspect that fuel blends may have something to do with it, as I know they change from season to season here in Texas.
  • Depending on where you are, you may be better off going with 87 octane than with premium. Many areas use ethanol as an octane booster, and an ethanol blend will have less chemical energy per volume than straight gas. I noticed this when I lived in Iowa- mid-grade is the cheapest gas there, so I always used it. I noticed about a 2-3 mpg drop using the 10% ethanol blend. (just enough of a difference to negate the price difference, but the owner's manual called for 91 octane anyway.)

Try a couple of tanks of regular and see if your mileage improves.
  • Just burned through the first full tank that we bought (I'm not convinced that the tank was fully topped up when we took delivery). 24.4 mpg with about 100 miles on the highway and the remainder (~170) mostly in town/traffic. This is almost the same mileage we were getting with the '05 Camry 4-cyl that we traded in to get the RAV4. I could easily squeeze 35+ mpg (EPA estimated 34 hwy) out of the Camry on long highway trips. I don't expect the RAV4 to do quite that well, but I will be surprised if I can't at least match the EPA highway numbers.

BTW- I can't say it enough... the RAV4 is, in the immortal words of Peter Griffin, FREAKIN' SWEET!
    Just to update my results from a couple of months ago - after about 7000 miles I have a new personal best - 30.2 mpg. This was achieved on a five-hour trip, about 3/4 of which was two-lanes with speeds around 60 mph, and the remaining 1/4 on a freeway at 70 mph. The return trip, with a headwind and A/C on most of the way but same route/speeds, dipped to 28.0 mpg. This vehicle rewards a light foot when you're trying for those high fuel economy numbers.
  • djc1959djc1959 Posts: 5
    V6 Fwd I am getting 23.5 MPG in the City only have 1100 miles on it.
  • ces1938ces1938 Posts: 61
    I have a 2006 Toyota Rav 4 with a 4 cyl. engine, and 4 speed automatic transmission front wheel drive only...I usually get 18 to 20 mpg in the city and 24 to 25 mpg highway driving at the speed limit or less.... long ways from the advertised fuel economy huh? what a disappointment..
  • drohrerdrohrer Posts: 37
    We have a 2006 RAV4 4WD I4 with 23,000 miles on it. We're visiting the in-laws this week. On our trip east we averaged 28.21 mpg on the freeway travelling at 70-75 mph. On one stretch (through Ohio) we did just over 30.1 mpg for 213 miles of the journey. (That's hand calculated over 850+ miles using the fuel shut off as "full".)

My wife usually gets about 27 mpg around home.
  • miles on it now, mostly up and down the Kansas turnpike, worst, bucking a 35-45 mph wind was around 22, best has been 28+ with the tailwind. I like listening to the radio so most is windows up and AC on, speeds 70+, The cruise control is to keep me from getting tickets!
  • stevem685stevem685 Posts: 4
    06' Rav4 Sport 4x4 with the V6 - 23-24 is average. On a long highway trip it'll get 28 tops.
  • '07 RAV4 4wd V6 Limited with tube steps under 6,000 miles. I'm only getting 19 - 20 in city driving in LA. Best mileage was around 24 - 26 on a highway trip between LA and San Francisco.
  • keyser2keyser2 Posts: 25
    Great vehicle!

Total miles: 935

Fuel used (reg & midgrade): 35.83

Average miles per gallon: 26.09

Suburban and urban driving
    I really hate to say this but I do NOT believe you keyser2, I think you are pulling our leg on this kind of milage, you know we are serious about this....and I don't think you are... :(
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,499
    Edmunds says the EPA Mileage Estimates for the FWD 2007 RAV4 (2.4L 4cyl 4A) is 24 mpg / 30 mpg. (link)

Looks like you can do a mile or two better Keyser. ;)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• keyser2keyser2 Posts: 25
    What possible motivation do I have to lie? You see the numbers, is my math wrong? Maybe you don't know how to drive conservatively.
    Sorry keyser2, it was the statements of drohrer that I had a hard time believing, check out his statements...."We have a 2006 RAV4 4WD I4 with 23,000 miles on it. We're visiting the in-laws this week. On our trip east we averaged 28.21 mpg on the freeway travelling at 70-75 mph. On one stretch (through Ohio) we did just over 30.1 mpg for 213 miles of the journey. (That's hand calculated over 850+ miles using the fuel shut off as "full".)

My wife usually gets about 27 mpg around home." check it out...[ and than check the mpg other people are getting on their Rav4... I apologize again... charles
    ces1938,

You can believe what you want, I'm just telling you what I put in the vehicle. My wife usually does better than 27 mpg around home. (She's too cautious a driver and we live in the boonies.)

Try these numbers. I still have the slips and milages to prove them if you want.

we just drove out west camping last week. Me, my wife and my daughter and all our gear. (the back end was full, but nothing outside on top or back) Part of the time I had a niece or nephew with us. We put on 3056 miles up to our last fill. i put in 115.38 gallons of gas. The way I figure it that comes out to 26.48 mpg.

I think that's not too bad considering we ran between 75 and 80 mph out west and crossed a variety of mountains. Even though we were camping, that didn't really include any off road stuff.

2006 RAV4 Ltd 4cyl 4-WD (now at about 27,200 miles)

jdrohrer
    ok drohrer, sorry I brought it up, one thing about it you get better MPG than any other Rav4 owners that are writing to this blog.. so your certainly lucky with the car you got... guess I would not think so much about it but I sold a 2002 Honda minivan so I would get better gas millage, "gas was $3.29 a gallon and going up so I felt I needed some thing that would get the better mpg, WRONG, the Rav4 is no better and perhaps worse than the 4200 lb. minavan with the 240 HP V6, guess you could say I am pretty ticked over it.... so good luck with your SUV, you lucky dog... :)
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    I don't believe luck has much to do with it.

He is just a better (at getting outstanding fuel mileage), smarter, more patient driver than most.
    I read some over on another forum, Rav 4 world. There seem to be people over there doing quite a bit better than me.

I will admit that the 30.13mpg stretch in Ohio was with fair tailwind on the way out east.

I have been very happy with the mileage. last year we went out west and only got about 25.5.

No hard feelings. (but maybe I am a lucky dog!)

jdrohrer
    You're not alone in getting good mileage out of the RAV4. Most owners seem to be pleased with its fuel economy. As I've posted previously in this thread, upper 20's on the highway (even better if I make an effort to drive carefully) are no problem for my V6.
    i must admit that when I see some of the numbers people are getting with the V6 I wish we had waited. On the other hand, it's not like I need more power...

Oh well, like I said, we're very happy with it.

jdrohrer
  • 07 4WD V6 28.8 MPG on the HWY with light A/C lightly loaded. Getting about 23-25 mpg overall.

Also find that towing my 2500 lb boat cuts mileage by at least 40%.
  • gpurkgpurk Posts: 13
    Is this a 2006 or 2007?

My 2006 4wd V-6 is only getting about 23 mpg on highway and 20 mpg combination.

Like the vehicle other than the mpg.
  • gpurkgpurk Posts: 13
    Oh! Sorry! I see it is a 2007.

Are the 07's doing better on mpg's compared to 06's?
  • I have a 4x4 v6 sport, average 25.8 overall after 1400 miles. Its about a 50-50 split between around town and highway driving. I think the reason 4 cylinders don't get the mileage the owners might hope for is that they have a 4 speed transmission, the 6 cylibders have 5. The 4's still get better mileage than the 6s, but not by enough to matter much in my opinion.