Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KIA Sportage Real World MPG

2»

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,994

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• pao1pao1 Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Sportage EX V6 4WD. Bought it new in late summer 2005. I have never gotten good gas mileage. I got the usual "wait until its broken in" line. They said that would be at 5,000 miles. I do mostly city driving, so I don't expect the best, but since it was rated at 19, I'd be happy with 17. Well, I'm up to almost 7,000 miles (not many roads in Alaska!), and I'm getting 13.2 MPG. The best it ever got was 14.4. I took it to the dealership and asked them to go over it to see if they could find anything wrong. At the end of the day they said they didn't find anything wrong. Then he said that the reason I was getting bad mileage is because the car is in 4WD all the time and its not broken in. That made me see red! I told him I have NEVER driven the car in 4WD and I would think at almost 7,000 miles it would be broken in. I think I would know if the car wa in 4WD! He just said there was nothing they could do. I'm like most people here - I really like the car but this is very bad mileage. I read the other posts about gas mileage and haven't seen any messages that get mileage as bad as mine. I read the suggestion about changing the air filter and I'll try that. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
    P
  • P-
    Last week I changed the oil and filter in my 06 LX V6 4WD with 5200 mikes on the vehicle and oil. I know that the owners manual states 7500 miles between changes, but I didn't want to wait that long. The used oil seemed overly dirty and thick while draining. I wonder if Kia fills the new vehicles with some type of break-in oil. I replaced the oil with Penzoil 5w30 full synthetic and the filter with a Purolator Pure One. The Purolator seems an identical match to the factory Kia filter, and I wonder if Purolator makes Kia's oil filters. The Fram filter wasn't even close visually to the factory filter so I avoided it.
    I put 35 lbs of air in the tires, filled the tank and took off on a 100 mile trip with the cruise set at 70 mph. I noticed the mileage seemed to improve because the gauge wasn't moving as quickly during the trip. I did not get a final tally yet as my wife is now driving solely in the city for trips under 2 miles, but it looks like it's doing better. I'll post here on my MPG at next fill up. Does anyone have actual highway MPG figures on the Sportage 4WD V6?
  • sporty3sporty3 Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 sportage LX and I also notice that the gas mileage is not the best. How much air do you put in your tires? The sticker on the door says 30psi but they always look low. When I had my tires rotated, the dealer filled them to 34. I have no idea which is correct!!!!!!! HELP!!
  • The vehicle posted pressure and the tire posted pressure have been points for argument over many years. Ford and Firestone had the famous finger pointing case several years ago. The car makers tend to list the tire pressures lower in order to make the ride softer. The tire folks list most pressures up to a max of 44 psi.
    Personally, I tend to run tire pressures in all my vehicles at 33-36 psi. I have the Kia's tire pressures at 36. I find that the ride may be firmer but handling and MPG are better. You should be ok with 34 PSI.
  • I just got back from a highway trip in my 06 Sportage LX V6 AWD and am reporting my MPG. For the Easter holiday I took my son to see his grandmother in NJ. As posted above, I changed the oil to Pennzoil Synthetic and filled the air pressure to 34 lbs in the tires. I headed straight out the PA Turnpike to the NJ Turnpike, and on to the NJ Shore area. 263 miles door to door, and I filled the tank at the 344 mile mark. About 240 of the miles were highway at speeds 65-80 mph with the cruise control set. Highway miles figured to be about 70% of the trip. 344 miles and filled 14 gals. = 24.57 MPG. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the numbers, and the Sportage now has 6700 miles on the odometer. The Kia ran great on the highway. It was very comfortable cruising, and had plenty of passing power when needed.
  • renzo07renzo07 Posts: 10
    Well i have done what people have said....I waited until it broken-in and it does ok on the gas mileage but I still have to fill up every 3-4 days maybe 5 pushing it. But they do really bad for being a small SUV. Thats rather rediculous!
  • I just returned from another 625 mile jaunt to NJ and back. Speeds on I-95 and I-295 were 65-80 and used cruise most of the time. MPG of 25.21 upon fillup. The Sportage ran great and just passed the 11,000 mark.
  • to all you people that says the owners manual states to change the oil and filter every 7500 miles,are you blind. all of you are stating that you drive in the city, which would put you on the severe duty maintenance page of your owners manual. it says to replace your oil and filter every 3000 miles. pretty much unless you live in the country and drive 20-30 miles nonstop at cruising speed or live on an entrance and exit ramp to a freeway you should follow severe duty maintenance.
    Oil's a lot better than it used to be. I'm on a 7,500 mile interval on my minivan that's been used mostly for interurban commuting the last 75,000 miles (~10 miles each way). The first 35,000 miles were mostly highway. I've about used up the usefulness of the van over the last 9 years (it certainly doesn't have much resale value), and it hasn't sludged up yet.

Check out Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• lmp4lmp4 Posts: 188
    Consumer Reports had a good
    report about fairy tales too and practically, uses same wording as yours, steve.
    You may have to right click > open that link to get it to open in your browser.

The rap about that CR oil report is that the taxis ran for hours on end and didn't experience many cold starts. I think most fleet owners ignore the interval recommendations and go by oil analysis. More in that discussion I linked above.

• ~25MPG!

Even if it doesn't improve slightly from that - I'm still gonna be happy. Who needs a V6 anyway? And most definitely nobody needs a slushbox tranny!

For comparison purposes, that first tank of gas propelled my new truck for 347 miles, approx. 75% of which were highway commute, and the other 25% moderate stop/start suburban.

Just so y'all know the extent of my madness from the get go, last week I actually bought 2 [TWO] I4 5spd Sportages [1*4x4, 1*4x2]! Couldn't resist the combination of rebates taking the price down to around invoice PLUS 0% for 5 years! Traded in an '05 Element and an '06 Sonata....

:surprise:

I have to say, if there's anyone reading this who

a] is considering a new Kia, and
    b] lives a reasonable distance from Elmhurst, IL [near west Chicago suburb]

- head on over to Napleton Auto Group's Elmhurst Kia, ask for [censored!!!] tell him Mr. H the 5spd Sportage freak sent you, and prepare for the best car buying experience of your LIFE. [Censored!!!!] rocks, as does the whole dealership.

:shades:
  • Re. some older posts regarding the Kia oil filter OEM manufacturer . . . the Kia oil filter, and the Hyundai filter like it, for the Beta II Inline 4 is supplied by Mann of Germany. Mann is an excellent filter, and is likely superior to the Pure One filter by Purolator. There is a TSB regarding the use of OEM Kia and Hyundai filters, and this is specifically because of the design of the anti-drainback valve in the filter.
  • Recently purchased a 2008 Kia Sportage LX in the base 4-cylinder, 5-speed manual transmission configuration. For the first 750 miles it has averaged 30 mpg on mostly rural highways, which I consider quite good for a 3300-lb. vehicle. Speed limits were generally adhered to, and speeds were kept to below 65 mph. I've noticed highway claims of around 25 mpg for V6 automatics, which begs the question, is the extra 20% obtainable from the 4-cyl. manual worth having to forego the extra pep and having to do your own shifting? I guess I'm one of those odd people who still enjoys shifting gears, and if I can squeeze a few extra miles out of that $3+ per gallon in a relatively comfortable vehicle, that's an added bonus. :)
  • Hey I'm with you. I would rather save the $$ and do a little shifting for a few more MPG's. My wife on the other hand, refuses to drive another stick shift. Her commute is all of 2 miles to work through city traffic. She last drove a stick in 1995 before I sold my F-150 4X4 Supercab and will not consider another one, and since she is the principle driver of the KIA it was a no brainer. Is your 5 Speed a 4X4 or 2 WD?
  • How do I remove the plastic inner panel on the rear hatch of my 2009 Kia Sportage without wrecking anything? I am going to install a back-up camera because the factory window tint in the back is so dark that it is hard to back up out of parking spots safely. I need to remove the panel to get to the wiring to hook up to the camera. The instructions say to hook the power wire to the backup lights but I am going to wire the camera to the license plate light because it is easier. And also there is a wireless transmitter that needs to be installed in the rear hatch and that needs to be wired in also.
    Also, is there anyone out there who gets better than 15mpg in town? I was wondering if maybe I turned the ESC off that the gas mileage would improve? I don't know what my highway gas mileage is, it only has 1500 miles on it and I haven't been on the highway much.
  • Now that many of you have owned your Sportage 2011 for a while please share with us your MPG. Past models I know have had pretty sad MPG ratings. I keep hoping the new engine will make a difference. Right now I'm torn between RAV and the new Sportage. The Sportage EPA highway ratings are high but no one seems to reach them. I need some insight before making my choice. Thanks
  • I'm getting about 19 MPG city, and about 22 Hwy. I've got about 2600 miles on my 2011 Sportage, so I'm hoping the mileage gets better with time.... :)
    A reporter is interested in talking with consumers about how fuel economy requirements are changing what people drive. He is looking for consumers who consider fuel economy their top consideration while shopping for vehicles that range from pickups to luxury cars to EVs. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply with your name, phone number and email address to pr@edmunds.com no later than 5pm Pacific this Wednesday, September 21st.

• I have a 4 month old SX 2.0 T-GDI A/T AWD that I cannot coax more than 16-18 miles per gallon out of. The gas milage computer reports higher numbers, but the actual miles per tank averages 220. I put more fuel in this car than my '98 ford explorer. The sticker on the car said 21 city, 28 highway.

My nose isn't very good, but my wife swears she smells gas in the car and is almost to the point of not wanting to ride in it. My father also smelled it. I've smelled it good only once, but I drive it every day.

I suspect a gas leak, but I cannot prove it. It's been to the dealer twice for this problem, and each time they cannot find any thing wrong. The last time they had it for nearly a week, got the same gas mileage as I reported to them, but still did nothing.

My driving is 70% surface roads, average mph is 22. I'm not an aggressive driver - I'm rarely the first out of the stoplight.

Should I be expecting more out of this car, or do I have a real problem that needs to be addressed?
    If you are a Hyundai or Kia owner and have a reaction to the company’s announcement today re: EPA fuel economy ratings, please email PR@edmunds.com today to talk with a reporter.

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency audit finds inflated gas mileage in Hyundai, Kia models (washingtonpost.com)

A reporter would like to speak to Hyundai and Kia owners who agree or disagree with the latest controversy over MPG. If you own a Hyundai or a Kia and would like to speak to a reporter about your experience with your car's fuel economy, please send your daytime and evening contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 8 a.m. PT/11 a.m. ET.

2»