Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KIA Sportage Real World MPG

Comments

• boltguyboltguy Posts: 94
    I've also had passengers comment on how smooth the ride is in my '05. A little more insulation in the floor area, and this cute ute would be extremely quiet. Its already pretty nice. My steering was a little off when I first bought it, and had an alignment done under warranty, the only warranty item I've had so far.
  • I have an 05 AWD Sportage with lots of extras. I love the car with the exception of the mpg. I live in a valley with flat long roads mostly 50 mph. I work in a small town, not too much stop and start or waiting at lights so I wouldn't consider this city driving. I'm an easy on the car driver. My mileage is only 18.5 tops - lower if I go to the city or into the mountains. I complained to Kia - they responded with a brochure about how to drive efficiently. When I call the dealer, they tell me to change to premium gas which contradicts advice in the users manual. They also point to the small print on the sticker saying I should expect 16 to 29 mpg, so I am in the range. They also say, contrary to the advice of another poster that I must use the Kia filters no matter where I get my oil changed. hmm. Really, I feel stonewalled by the Kia dealership and the company. In my opinion they need to fix this problem.

I also see that the new advertising for the Sportage claims high fuel economy. Phooey!!
  • Well I guess Kia is advertizing the "good" mileage of the Sportage compared to the Nissan Armada, Chevy Tahoe, or the Ford Explorer. I have friends with those vehicles and they are real gas hogs. The friend with the Armada is chomping at the bit to get rid of it due to the 10-12 city mpg. The loan is upside down so they are stuck with it for a few years. I hadn't heard about the Kia filter issue. I've run Purolator and Mobil 1 filters for years and testing shows these 2 filters to be top notch.

Did Kia tell you that the warranty is void if you use another brand name filter?

I knew before I bought it that the Sportage was not the greatest mpg suv. It is on a par with the Honda Element, CRV, Ford Escape, etc. The ride and interior are nicer than my Chevy Blazer and my friend's Grand Cherokee. I really want a hybrid suv but will wait for the prices and the technology to improve.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    "Did Kia tell you that the warranty is void if you use another brand name filter?"

Having just bought an Optima this certainly caught my eye.

Do they give you the filter free? If not, that practice would be a blatant violation of Magnuson-Moss.
  • I just hit the 3,000 mile mark on the Sportage. I have not yet changed the oil as the owners manual states 7,500 for the change, but I have traditionally dropped the oil on new vehicles at 3,000. I usually do all my oil changes with synthetic. As far as the exclusive use of KIA filters is concerned, I will call my neighbor who is the manager of the dealer from where i bought it. I will post his response. How do you like the new Optima?
  • just wanted to let you know the dealer cannot make you use any certain product and cannot void your warrenty for not using a Kia filter it is federal law in the United States. Look up "magnuson-moss warranty act" for more information and if the dealer still claims that you have to use a Kia filter i would call your state attorney because they are trying to scare you and being dishonest.
  • Hi Im Renzo, I'm from Albuquerque, NM and we just recently bought a brand new 2006 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Fully loaded, Leather Interior, Sunroof, And We Love it, but It does terrible on gas, We Have to fill it up almost every 2-3 days and it's just not working for us, but we love it to pieces, its comfortable the ride is impressive and incredible, but I need advice in the Gas, Do I need to use Premium Gasoline, Or What Do I do? Also I need to take it in monday for a defective tire!!! Thanks!!! :confuse:
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You didn't say what your mileage is but with the 2.7 L (6 cylinder) version at the low end of the EPA numbers (i.e. mostly city) that adds up to about 300 miles per tank (15.3 gallons). It sounds like you're doing some heavy duty driving. I'm guessing that's an Albuquerque-Santa Fe commute. :)

tidester, host
  • Hi, Well I don't do a Albuquerque-Santa Fe Commute, I guess it's because I drive It Alot, but Still It Waste To much Gas!!!! Well Thanks anyway!!!!
  • Renzo07
    Your MPG will improve slightly as you break it in. Make sure your tires are inflated to 33-35. We have 4600 miles on our 06 LX 4x4 and ours is steadily improving. My wife uses it mostly in city driving so I have no highway numbers yet, but the last tank was 20.562 mpg.
  • pao1pao1 Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Sportage EX V6 4WD. Bought it new in late summer 2005. I have never gotten good gas mileage. I got the usual "wait until its broken in" line. They said that would be at 5,000 miles. I do mostly city driving, so I don't expect the best, but since it was rated at 19, I'd be happy with 17. Well, I'm up to almost 7,000 miles (not many roads in Alaska!), and I'm getting 13.2 MPG. The best it ever got was 14.4. I took it to the dealership and asked them to go over it to see if they could find anything wrong. At the end of the day they said they didn't find anything wrong. Then he said that the reason I was getting bad mileage is because the car is in 4WD all the time and its not broken in. That made me see red! I told him I have NEVER driven the car in 4WD and I would think at almost 7,000 miles it would be broken in. I think I would know if the car wa in 4WD! He just said there was nothing they could do. I'm like most people here - I really like the car but this is very bad mileage. I read the other posts about gas mileage and haven't seen any messages that get mileage as bad as mine. I read the suggestion about changing the air filter and I'll try that. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
    P
  • P-
    Last week I changed the oil and filter in my 06 LX V6 4WD with 5200 mikes on the vehicle and oil. I know that the owners manual states 7500 miles between changes, but I didn't want to wait that long. The used oil seemed overly dirty and thick while draining. I wonder if Kia fills the new vehicles with some type of break-in oil. I replaced the oil with Penzoil 5w30 full synthetic and the filter with a Purolator Pure One. The Purolator seems an identical match to the factory Kia filter, and I wonder if Purolator makes Kia's oil filters. The Fram filter wasn't even close visually to the factory filter so I avoided it.
    I put 35 lbs of air in the tires, filled the tank and took off on a 100 mile trip with the cruise set at 70 mph. I noticed the mileage seemed to improve because the gauge wasn't moving as quickly during the trip. I did not get a final tally yet as my wife is now driving solely in the city for trips under 2 miles, but it looks like it's doing better. I'll post here on my MPG at next fill up. Does anyone have actual highway MPG figures on the Sportage 4WD V6?
  • sporty3sporty3 Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 sportage LX and I also notice that the gas mileage is not the best. How much air do you put in your tires? The sticker on the door says 30psi but they always look low. When I had my tires rotated, the dealer filled them to 34. I have no idea which is correct!!!!!!! HELP!!
  • The vehicle posted pressure and the tire posted pressure have been points for argument over many years. Ford and Firestone had the famous finger pointing case several years ago. The car makers tend to list the tire pressures lower in order to make the ride softer. The tire folks list most pressures up to a max of 44 psi.
    Personally, I tend to run tire pressures in all my vehicles at 33-36 psi. I have the Kia's tire pressures at 36. I find that the ride may be firmer but handling and MPG are better. You should be ok with 34 PSI.
  • I just got back from a highway trip in my 06 Sportage LX V6 AWD and am reporting my MPG. For the Easter holiday I took my son to see his grandmother in NJ. As posted above, I changed the oil to Pennzoil Synthetic and filled the air pressure to 34 lbs in the tires. I headed straight out the PA Turnpike to the NJ Turnpike, and on to the NJ Shore area. 263 miles door to door, and I filled the tank at the 344 mile mark. About 240 of the miles were highway at speeds 65-80 mph with the cruise control set. Highway miles figured to be about 70% of the trip. 344 miles and filled 14 gals. = 24.57 MPG. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the numbers, and the Sportage now has 6700 miles on the odometer. The Kia ran great on the highway. It was very comfortable cruising, and had plenty of passing power when needed.
  • renzo07renzo07 Posts: 10
    Well i have done what people have said....I waited until it broken-in and it does ok on the gas mileage but I still have to fill up every 3-4 days maybe 5 pushing it. But they do really bad for being a small SUV. Thats rather rediculous!
  • I just returned from another 625 mile jaunt to NJ and back. Speeds on I-95 and I-295 were 65-80 and used cruise most of the time. MPG of 25.21 upon fillup. The Sportage ran great and just passed the 11,000 mark.
  • to all you people that says the owners manual states to change the oil and filter every 7500 miles,are you blind. all of you are stating that you drive in the city, which would put you on the severe duty maintenance page of your owners manual. it says to replace your oil and filter every 3000 miles. pretty much unless you live in the country and drive 20-30 miles nonstop at cruising speed or live on an entrance and exit ramp to a freeway you should follow severe duty maintenance.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    Oil's a lot better than it used to be. I'm on a 7,500 mile interval on my minivan that's been used mostly for interurban commuting the last 75,000 miles (~10 miles each way). The first 35,000 miles were mostly highway. I've about used up the usefulness of the van over the last 9 years (it certainly doesn't have much resale value), and it hasn't sludged up yet.

Check out Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2.