Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer Real World MPG

steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,273
Please report on your Explorer or Mountaineer mileage here.

Include your odometer reading, city/highway mix, driving style or anything else you think may help others compare their mpg with yours. Thanks!

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I've had 5 Explorers/Mountaineers. Of the recent models, 02 and 04 I've had, the mileage has been:

4.0L six 2WD - 17mpg in town, 21mpg on highway.
    4.6L V-8 AWD - 13mpg in town, 19mpg on highway.
  • After 9 days with my '06 Mountaineer-- V8 Premier, AWD, w/all bells & whistles-- I love it so far. At 530 miles, I'm averaging about 15.5mpg mixed (75% city), 90 degree heat and running the air conditioner most of the time. I'm a little heavy with my right foot though as I do enjoy the growl, and noticed with the 6 speed it is geared pretty low (compared to the 1999 V8 Explorer I traded). I've heard after break-in (3k miles?) mpg should improve. With the discount off MSRP, the financing and rebates, I'm not too concerned with my mpg as I bought much more vehicle at less than originally intended. The ride is really incredible... and mpg on hwy did seem to average about 20mpg for a short run.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,273
    I've heard after break-in (3k miles?) mpg should improve.

People's experiences vary - on my minivan the mpg kept improving even after 10,000 miles. 20-21 mpg is the highway EPA rating and you're a little over the city EPA estimate of 14-15 with your mostly city driving, so I'd say you'd doing pretty good already. But the first few tanks can be deceptive; mine were all over the map for the first couple of thousand miles.

Congrats on the new ride!

Steve, Host

• 1997 Ford Explorer XLT, 5.0L V8, 147,000 mi, City 13mpg, Hwy 17mpg.

2000 Ford Explorer XLT, 5.0L V8, 123,000 mi, City 13mpg, Hwy 17mpg.
  • overcomeovercome Posts: 4
    2003 mountaineer V8 premier
    35,000 miles
    15.5 mpg....mostly city driving w/ ac running 70% of the time
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    19 MPG when mostly highway (long trip for example)

with normal city / hwy mix, mostly city, we'll get 15.5 or so, as indicated by the vehicle MPG gauge. i havent checked the reliability of this measurement in a while.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 383
    I have about 21000 miles on mine. It gets about 13 MPG around town. A lot of short trips (less than 4 to 5 miles at a time). On the interstates I set the cruise at 5 MPH above the speed limit and get 19 to 20 MPG.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    If I get 15 with my 98 Mountaineer I am lucky, but i did not expect better from an AWD V8. The vehicle is awesome.
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 306
    2003 Premier AWD V8 w 50,000 miles. We get 14 city/19 hwy. Take off about 1/2 mile per gallon for heavy A/C useage in the summer. And consider we live in Pittsburgh. Up and down STEEP hills ALL DAY LONG. (Tires and brakes last about 25,000 miles). I just installed Michelin MS/LTX tires...had them on my '99 Explorer....they lasted 50,000 on that. $800 bucks though!
  • Hello I have a 2006 Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer V6 4.0L...I only have put 500 miles on it so far and am getting only around 13-14mpg inmixed city and highway driving. Hopefully the gas mileage will get better as I put more miles on it!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,830
    check your tire pressures. expecially the fronts. i run those a bit higher than recommended.
    the engine will take a good while to break in. i'm guessing 10k or so.
  • The tires seem properly inflated, but I see what you are saying. You really think it will take 10k miles till the gas mileage improves? Ive heard after about 2k it gets better?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,273
    My experience with my minivan is that mpg varied a lot the first couple of thousand miles, and then started improving. It was still improving at 10,000 miles but the rate of increase started slowing down by then. YMMV. :shades:

• I have about 6000 miles now, and I have been getting 9.5 mpg in San Diego, and about 12-13 mpg freeway. This thing is killing me! I have tires at full pressure. Even when my wife drives (not aggressive at all, trust me) she gets less than 13 mpg. How is this thing getting 50% worse mileage than a full size F-150 with the V8?!!!
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    '06 Mountaineer 4.6, AWD.

2,000 mile tow of travel trailer 9.3 MPG
    Highway without trailer. @ 70 MPH, 21 MPG ... really. Stay off the brakes!
  • Even if I reset the mileage tracker with the cruise set at 75 or so, its only getting around 15 to 15.5. Thats without accelerating, just maintaining current speed. Gonna have to get a second car loan just to pay for gas...
  • zeeman84zeeman84 Posts: 16
    Vehicle has been averaging 16.5 mixed city, highway. On our summer vacation of about 1,500 miles of mostly highway driving with cruise on going 60mph it returned 23mpg.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    My friend's car, but I thought I'd report anyway.

Mixed driving (about 70% interstate miles), it returned 19.5 MPGs. He averages about 75MPH on the interstate.
  • Just drove from Covington, Kentucky (5 miles outside of Cincinnati, Ohio) to Gatlinburg, Tennessee about 295 miles one way and got 22.5 mpg. That is mostly highway with cruise set on 72.
  • 2005 Ford Explorer 4.0L, 23,500 miles on the truck.

Just drove from Grand Junction to Denver Colorado today. Avg. MPG 21. Usually between 15 and 16 MPG in city. If your getting less than get your foot out of the gas pedal. MPG goes down fast on this truck with high RPMs.

Hope this helps.
  • I got 16.75 MPG on mixed highway(stop&go)/city in SoCal on my first full tank. The computer MPG wasn't too far off as it reported 17.2 MPG.
  • I'm considering buying a 2002 Ford Expl Limited. I have a choice between the V-6 Flex Fuel and the V-8.

I'm concerned about all the comments I've heard that Explorers don't get the mileage their EPA estimates call for.

What kind of MPG are folks ACTUALLY getting on these two engines, in town an highway, please?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,830
    '02 explorer, about 64k miles, v8 w/tow package. 16.2 lifetime average.
    newly licensed driver averages about 13mpg in local only driving.
    from central ct to washington dc area via pa, four on board. 16.8 on the way there; cold, windy, rainy, no traffic. 380+ miles in 6 hours. ;) some local driving plus the trip back, warmer, some traffic, 18.6 average.
    epa is 14-19.
    2002 V6 Mountaineer 16 city, 20 hwy.
    2004 V8 Mountaineer 13.6 city, 18 hwy.
    2006 V8-3V Explorer 13.6 city, 19 hwy

As you can see, I prefer the V-8. The new 3 valve V-8 give you a ton more power, but the 6 speed tranny, gives you the same mileage with more power.
  • 2004 Explorer XLT 4WD 4.0L V6.
    HI-22.02, LO-11.72, AVG-17.34.
    1/20/2006-1/20/2007.
    Gotten 22 MPG on a trip, and 12 MPG 4WDing.
    Overall this gas mileage sucks.
  • With 29344 miles, my 6 speed has recorded an average mileage of: 15.88 mpg. I am happy. This is about 1 MPG better than I expected for a gas guzzling V-8. BRAVO for the 6 speed tranny. Best mileage on highway (@ constant 68-70 mpg)>20.7, worst mileage> 12.8 (cold weather). Only complaints: dinging OTHER peoples' doors due to the moron who desinged the idiotic lack of control of how to GRASP the Explorer door as it SWINGS OPEN (bam !!! Ding !! Whap !!) Whoever designed the Explorer door should be taken out and run over by a...TOYOTA 4-Runner (a vastly better eingineered vehicle).
    TOYOTA 4-Runner (a vastly better eingineered vehicle).

Vastly? My, we are given to hyperbole, aren't we? I disagree, but it may be more symantical than actual. The Explorer is a superior design in every way. It rides better, the third seat is actually adult friendly, and folds away. You can see over the hood without the power dome getting in your way, and see the road, the independent rear suspension makes the stepping over bumps or rocks much easier on the spleen, and the new 3V 4.6L motor with the new 6 speed transmission is just a honey to drive.

Now, the Toyota will run twice as long, with half the problems, I'll give ya that, and if by that you mean engineered better, then fine. But the Ford "design", is vastly superior to the 4-runner.

Of course, I could be wrong.....
  • I think I've discovered the difference between my good '02 Explorer mileage and what I'm getting with the '06. The '02 had the category II (small receiver hitch) towing package which had a 3.55 gear ratio, and the '06 has the cat III/IV package which mandates a 3.73 ratio. Sure has more dig, though.
    Bingo!!! That is exactly the key, mate. :P
  • dieterbdieterb Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer with 1895 miles on it. I average 13.5 MPG in the city and 21 MPG on the highway. Love the car. Was not overly worried about the MPG, but with the rise in gas prices, WOW!!!