Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer Real World MPG

13»

Comments

• hackdhackd Posts: 65
    I wanted to see what others have recently been getting with the latest models. I currently get about 13-14 City and 21-22 Highway going about 65-70 MPH. Kind of dissapointed with city figures but when reviewing others mileage forums it could be worse. Mileage computer has definitely cured my lead foot as with certain techniques like coasting and keeping RPM's low I can get up to 15+ in City driving.
  • 98 Explorer Sport, 4.0L SOHC, 120,000 miles, 13 MPG in town, 16-17 highway. I think that stinks. I like everything else about this vehicle, except that the rear springs sag a bit. It even tows my 19' boat well. Cruddy mileage. I changed to synthetic oil recently, so I hope that helps a bit. I think it had 10W-30, now I put in 5W-30 syn.
  • I drove the truck from 84,000 - 106K miles.
    stock 4.0L 203 hp V6 16/21 MPG

After adding:
    Flowmoaster Catback system
    removed radiator fan and converted to 16" Hayden electric fan
    cold air intake
    new plugs/wires
    TPS Sensor adustment

ended up getting 19-20/25-26 according to the self installed information display i installed from a 4 door model.
  • hey coach, If you never tried using a 100% synthetic oil, that will help your mileage. I use Amsoil now which I believe is a better oil than Mobil1 and it's close to .50 cents cheaper per quart depending how much you would buy. Synthetic oils are produced here in the U.S.A. and not imported from the mid east. If you have replaced tires, Did you get a heavy tire ? Any one who would buy Goodyear Wranglers Silent Armuors will get less MPG. The set I got for my mothers 2003 explorer, very seldom will you get 16MPG with good gas. It use to be with bad gas the least you got was 16MPG with the Michelin cross terrains. Maybe you need to get different gas as now ethenol is everywhere at the pumps mixed in the gas of 10% mix. Some people now say that ethenol has alot of less MPG we all are getting. Who knows. Now I'm confused. :confuse: :sick: :(
  • nfntruth...... You made a smart choice using 5W-30 synthetic oil. If everybody would use it, these people that hate us would not be getting our money. If your explorer uses oil, and you believe and see that it still is, wait after 1500 to 2000 miles and change the oil and filter again with 100% synthetic oil. If it does not use oil, I would change it all again after the first 3000 miles on your first synthetic use. You will see the gunk & slime the other oils creates when you drain it. I had a 1986 T-Bird and it used oil. After I changed the oil and filter after 1500 miles. At 26500 miles, I could'nt believe what that oil looked like. I drove it for 12 more years changing the oil one time every year, and I put 170,000 more miles on it. it was a 3.8 V6 with 25,000 on it before I switched to synthetic oil. Hope all this helps you or anyone else.
  • 2006 Explorer V8 AWD. Just upgraded from a 1996 Explorer V8. City mileage is a little worse but hiway is amazing. Averaging 15-16 mpg city but get this...24.5 at 70 mph, 25.5 at 65 mph and 28 mpg at 55 mph. To make it a little easier for the no believers this is on a flat stretch of hiway over a 50 mile stretch using the on board computer. Now I just have to verify with manual calculation. WOW!!!
  • kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    Anybody know how Ford has increased the mileage of the Explorer from 2006 to now? I just bought a used '06 V8 that is EPA rated at 19 hwy (according to the 2008 method) but the '10 model is rated at 21 hwy. I just wondered if I can make any of the changes Ford must have in later model years to achieve those higher numbers.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,452
    Up to about 13,500 miles. Just finished a 1600 mile round trip and averaged 24 mpg with AWD XLT.
    Starting elevation was about 150 feet up to about 2350(I-80 in PA) and about 700 feet at the end before turning around.
13»