Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Outlander Real World MPG

Comments

• blackb13blackb13 Posts: 35
    Just filled up today. Got around 180 for the tank before I had to refill. I probably could've waited another 30 miles until it was on E.
  • wow...that sounds really low...almost like driving with a foot on the brake! I'm not even concerned with economy and I'm getting about 320 per fill up.
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Posts: 194
    How many gallons did you put in?
    Maybe you're driving it too slow, open it up and see what happens. I've got about 600 miles on mine now and I've been winding it out recently and still getting around 20mpg, got 25 on the trip home from work tonight.

What's it get when you do highway-only trips?
  • blackb13blackb13 Posts: 35
    "Highway-only trips"

LOL, I live near downtown Chicago...I don't know what a "highway-only" trip is. Unless you count sitting on the expressway for 45min averaging 5mph. :)

Once I take a highway trip, I'll post my results
  • growwisegrowwise Posts: 297
    I got 370 km out of 47 litres. So converting it into mpg gives around 18.5 mpg. Most of this is "highway driving" within city.

It supposedly is based on Lancer platform. But it must be heavy... Not too thrilled about mpg. Gotta move closer to work or find work closer to me.
  • dodo2dodo2 Posts: 496
    This is 12.7 L/100 km. For real world driving, this is not too bad IMO. It might get better after the brake in period. Commuting on 401 is not really highway driving but more like congested city driving. Is this driving on 2WD or 4WD mode?
  • growwisegrowwise Posts: 297
    I try to keep it mostly on 2WD. 4WD only if there is significant snow in the backroads.
    I read on another forum that there shouldn't be much of a difference in gas mileage between 2WD and 4WD mode on the vehicles with 4WD system.
  • the Outlander owner's manual only mentions reduced mileage for the 4WD lock setting. I think driving in 4WD auto there is not any power to the rear wheels unless wheel slippage is occuring; therefore driving on dry pavement is pretty much the same as driving in 2WD. Obviously there is some loss of efficiency occuring between the 2WD only models and the 4WD models. I assume this is because there is a driveshaft going back to the rear differential which is always spinning- it only engages when slippage occurs but I guess just the energy of spinning that driveshaft aimlessly to the rear differential eats up some efficiency. Can anyone confirm my assumptions, and also explain what 4WD lock actually does?
  • jski1jski1 Posts: 5
    There are 3 settings, FWD all the time, 2 wheel with auto (if slipping occurs AWD kicks in) and AWD lock. In the first two modes, they should drive the same mileage wise, only the AWD locks should technically change mileage ratings. I apologize if I am incorrect on this.
    I think driving in 4WD auto there is not any power to the rear wheels unless wheel slippage is occurring.

This is not correct. In 4WD Auto mode, up to 40% of the torque goes to the rear. On dry pavement, up to 15% goes to the rear, REGARDLESS of slippage. Under certain circumstances, like hard acceleration, more torque is sent to the rear.
    4WD Lock sends 50% more torque to the rear compared to 4WD Auto, which means up to 60% could be sent to the rear.
    2WD is plain FWD.

See link below which explains exactly, by Mitsubishi, how the 4WD in the 2007 Outlander works.
    2007 Outlander 4WD System Explained
    I ran a full tank in 4WD Auto and just got 300 miles on 14.8 gallons. Mixed city and highway miles. That's the most miles yet for me out of a tank.

The 4WD versions have a smaller tank than the 2WD, so total mileage out of a tank gets a little tricky to compare.

Interesting that the fuel warning starts blinking faster as you get closer to empty.
    The 4WD versions have a smaller tank than the 2WD, so total mileage out of a tank gets a little tricky to compare.

You compare MPG which does not depend on the tank size.
    You've got people who say they're getting 30mpg but don't say how they calculated it. Based on the computer? How many miles they travelled on a tank? If all of the tanks were the same size it would make it easier. 30mpg? You had better have gone more than 450 miles on the tank.
    My observation is that the average mileage displayed by the computer is per trip, but I will have to check the manual. In this case it is not relevant for the real world consumption.
    The way to calculate the "Real World" MPG would be to divide the miles driven over the numbers of gallons used. You fill up the tank, reset the trip computer and drive. At the next fill up, check how many miles you drove. Very simple.
    In your case, you drove 300 miles on 14.8 gallons so you got 20.27 MPG.
  • rcpaxrcpax Posts: 580
    My observation is that the average mileage displayed by the computer is per trip, but I will have to check the manual.

That's per "session". When you turn on your car for your first trip of the day, it will do the math for that "session" of use. When you turn off the ignition, it will remember those mileage math for that session and hold it for 4 hours in its computer since the vehicle was last turned off. After 4 hours (or more) have lapsed, and you start using the vehicle again, it will count that as a new session and redo all mileage math.
    Thanks for the explanation. You saved me some time. Yeah, for me, most of the time is another "session" because I leave it parked more then 4 hours most of the times (home-office, office-home).
    So far I'm happy with the mileage - low 12' L/100km and it's still new and cold weather. I'm sure it will improve within a year or so.
  • gene_vgene_v Posts: 235
    13.4 gallons on fillup.

17.4 MPG

Mostly city driving.
  • Wow!!!
    Thank you for the link on the all wheel drive system.
    I went thru the manual front to back and front again and I was very disappointed with the explanation of the system.
    I looked on Mitsu site but I must have missed this one.
    Thanks again. :)
    Second tank of gas

300 miles (533 total miles)

13.3 gallon

22.56 MPG

1/2 city, 1/2 Interstate.
    Gas was going up all over town so I pulled in a station that had not gone up to top off.

130 miles
    6.5 gallons
    20 MPG
    mostly city driving.
    Total 663 miles so far.
    total 33.2 gallons
    19.96 MPG
  • rmj1rmj1 Posts: 9
    So if you are getting about 20.2 miles to a U.S. Gallon it would work out to about 24.3 miles to an imperial Gallon which is pretty darn good when I am used to driving a old Grand Cherokee with a 4 litre 6 banger. Things are looking better for the justification end of things! (and I don't even have to fudge the numbers) ;)
    298 miles
    13.6 gallons
    21.9 MPG this tank
    1/3 Interstate
    2/3 City Driving
    Total 961 miles so Far
    Total 46.8 Gallons
    20.5 MPG
    Gas was jumping up 20 cents all over so I topped off.
    173 miles
    8.3 gallons
    20.8 MPH
    3/4 city driving
    Total 1134 miles
    55.1 gallons
    20.6 MPH
    301 miles
    14.4 gallons
    20.9 MPH
    mixed driving-2/3 city driving
    Total 1435 miles
    69.5 gallons
    20.6 MPH
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 899
    My computer has been consistently reading 21-22 MPG. I only have about 250 miles and haven't filled it up yet so I don't know the actual. Too bad the computer doesn't save mileage after the four hour memory to give you a long term average.

The little mpg bar graph thingy kind of encourages me to drive with a light foot to see how high of mileage I can get.

The Mercury Villager we traded for the Outlander got 17-18 Mpg so if we can beat that by 5 MPG or so I'll be happy.
    I just drive. I find that my XLS goes into 6th gear (just pull the paddle shifter and it will tell you the gear) about 35 to 37 MPH. So I get there steadily.
  • jowettjowett Posts: 12
    1st tank...
    This tank possibly innacurate due dealer filled.
    To first fill 11.30 L/100 kms OR 25 mpg Imperial OR 20.81 mpg US. About 50 per cent hwy 50 per cent urban.

2nd tank
    8.48 L/100kms OR 33.31 mpg Imperial OR 27.737 mpg US.
    95 per cent Hwy 5 per cent other.

The lowest I was showing per the computer average was 8L/100kms OR 35.31 mpg Imperial OR 29.40 mpg US.

All this with a light foot. highway speed 90-110 kms/hour