Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the Best SUV For me?

matthattan1587matthattan1587 Posts: 53
edited December 2013 in Chevrolet
Hello:
I am looking to upgrade to new SUV, but do not know which way to go. I currently have a 2004 Honda Accord Ex sedan (4cylinder 160 hp engine.) I loved the Honda Accord, but power was issue when merging onto short on ramps and stop sign on ramps here in New York City. I have so far looked at the Nissan Xterra and loved the way it drove. I was wondering what other cars I should look at. Here is what I am looking for:

1) A SUV that has a V6 engine.
2) A SUV that is not too large and has only a second row of seating like the Xterra.
3) An adequate amount of trunk size.
4) Looking to spend from $20,000 to $30,000

I know that the Xterra is considered a truck-based SUV, but I felt it drove similar to a car and had good interior and exterior features.
Gas mileage is not too big of a concern as I do not drive much (mostly a weekend car. Please let me know if the Exterra is the way to go or if there are any other smart alternatives?
Thanks M.M.

Comments

• thecatthecat Posts: 528
    Nobody can tell you what is right for you. Go drive a few of the SUV's that meet your criteria (and there are more than a few) and pick the one YOU like best. The RAV and the Xterra are very different vehicles. The RAV is car based and by comparison to the X it aims at creature comfort as opposed to the X's off road capabilities IMO.
    Keep us posted on your search.
  • Thank you for your input...

I will have to test drive the new Rav4, but do you have any other suggestions besides the Rav4 and Xterra.
    -MM
  • thecatthecat Posts: 528
    I'd give the Highlander a good look. It's been Consumer Reports top pick in the mid size SUV for some time. BMW has 2 models to look at - X3 & X5, the Honda Pilot. Heck, everybody is making SUV's these days. You probably owe it to yourself to take a look at the Ford & Chevy models too. They wouldn't be my choice but I'm not you.

Actually, now that I think about it, given the fact that you're in the Big Apple I would avoid anything that had a rear mounted spare. It won't last long there. I had a spare stolen from underneath a pick-up once in Manhattan. If it's visible, it's gone.
  • jl_ssjl_ss Posts: 1
    Since you are in NY City, I assume off roading is not a priority and car like handling would be desirable. The new RAV4 V6 is extremely quick, is a smaller SUV, and has decent cargo area for it's size. The V6 only comes with 2 rows of seating right now and I believe it is about $28K.
  • Thanks for the input, but as many people are saying it is extremely hard to find a V6 Rav4 in the color I want and the accesories I want. I will still keep looking and will try to test drive the Rav4. I also understand that the Xterra is an off road capable vehicle, but I think it has good looks inside and out. Also Nissan offers a 4X2 model so that would be a better choice for me in the city.

I will also have ot check out the highlander for its tremendous remarks in CR, but I am looking for a more sporty looking SUV like the Rav4 or the Xterra. There are not too many sporty ones out there?? :confuse:
  • Very untrue. I have base 4WD RAV4 V6 with 3rd row and paid under $25000.
    Only "sport" doesn't come with 3rd row option.

True, 3rd row is hard to get but worth the effort as it gives you not only 7-passenger capacity but also 1350 lbs payload vs. only 850 lbs for 2 rows.
  • I don't know what is your definition of "sporty", but you know, there are a few fine looking SUVs like Porche Cayenne, Subaru Tribeca, BMW SUVs, VW Tureag (? spelling), Volvo SUVs, etc, etc.
  • Thanks for the suggestions, but the SUV's you mentioned are a little out of my league price wise. My family is looking for a reasonable priced SUV that I can drive. (I am the only one in the family that does.) I am also 19 so I would like a Suv that is more youthful. Also I will have my car at college so I am looking for something that can handle some cargo or those trips back home. The Xterra I think is very youthful, but it is hard to find any other alternatives??
  • master1master1 Posts: 340
    I think that I have the perfect vehicle for you - a Toyota Highlander. A new Highlander is coming out this fall so you can get a current Highlander for a cheap price. I own one and like most Toyota's, they always run and you'll never have to visit another dealer for maintenaince [Excluding normal services like oil changes, filter changes, etc...].
    :)
    Are Highlanders fun to drive? Toyota's are never praised, or said to be fun to drive like a Honda or Mazda. The Highlander will still give you enjoyable times though.

The Highlander is also considered one of the quieter SUV's. You can also get it without a third row seat, which you prefer.

I do not recommend a XTERRA. The roll over rating is a 3 star, and that will increase your insurace costs. The Highlander recieved 4 stars for roll over.
    Think about it...
  • dce33dce33 Posts: 6
    Take a look at the 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe or Tucson, also the new 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe which looks sleek and sportier. Also consider the Honda CRV 2007 that might be coming out in August, no more wheels at the back. If you want to get the accessories you want for less money you might want to consider the Hyundais which now doesnt seem too far quality wise compare with Honda or Toyota.
    As it was said before , go test drive all of them to determine which ones will really suit your taste.
    Do you have any more questions?
  • Thanks for all your help. I am going tomorrow to look at many different cars and SUVS...which should I keep in mind besides the Highlander. Im going to look at the Pilot, Explorer and Xterra very closely along with the Highlander...any cars you recommend or suvs?
  • If you haven't already, go get the Xterra.It comes with stability control standard and as an option you can get curtain air bags for head protection. Besides, it's what you wanted in the first place.
  • suvwantedsuvwanted Posts: 2
    My husband and I are looking to buy a 'family' car...an SUV (no van:). We seem to be looking at asian made cars...he has a subaru and loves it. We did look at some North American cars and there really isn't much of a comparrison when it comes to warranty and quality. We've looked at the Mitsubishi Outlander, which offers a 5 year warranty (10 years on the transmition and engine) and 5 year roadside assistance. It is a compariable price to the Hyundai Santa Fe, which offers a 5 year warranty, 3 year roadside assistance and lifetime free oilchanges. The Santa Fe is a bit bigger and is a little cheaper. We haven't looked at Toyota or Honda yet....I have a feeling the CRV is above our price range. Any opinions as to which SUV might serve us the best?? I've heard lots of controversy over 'Japan' vs. 'Korean' made...although apparently the Hyundai's seem to be doing pretty well??? Help????
    Forget about Hyundai...Check out the CR-V. It'll be at, or below invoice now since the sales haven't been so hot for it and because a redesign is coming out.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    I don't Master1 - J.D. Power: Initial Quality Numbers Show Huge Increases for Hyundai. (Inside Line) I think Toyota and Honda are looking over their shoulders pretty hard at Hyundai.

You're right about CR-V deals; with the new model coming out there should be some although the selection may not be good the longer you wait. I haven't looked at the Honda CR-V: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion in a while to see what the deals are like out there.
    Yea yea....I know about that JD. That's short term. LONG RUN - HA! Forget about Hyundai for the long run dependability.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    I'm old enough to remember when that was said about Toyotas, Hondas and Datsuns. I think the Korean's quality is getting there fast - keeping the CEO's out of jail would help. Otherwise the Thai trucks and Chinese and Indian rigs will be next in the rear view mirror. ;)
    I still wouldn't recommend a Hyundai nor will I ever buy one in my life. You know what I would recommend steve don't you! Big, has 6 wheels...lol....nevermind