Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the Best SUV For me?

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    Yep, if you weren't such a good CarSpace friend, I'd really be razzing you, LOL.

That reminds me - it's chat night again. Link's on the left - Subaru is the topic, but we drift ... a lot. Some evenings we wind up discussing Bluebirds. :shades:
  • bikeman3bikeman3 Posts: 85
    Remember what is going on in north korea and huyndai is currently on strike, long warranties are ok if you can get parts and service, resale value of honda and toyota are much better :)
  • sasukesasuke Posts: 77
    So I'm about 2-3 weeks away from buying an SUV, but I'm having trouble deciding on which to get..

I'm considering the Pilot, Pathfinder, Mountaineer..not sure what else is out there..I'm looking at passanger comfort and performance as two top priorities and wanna keep it in the price range of these 3 SUVs..what do you guys think?
  • i have owned toyotas, oldsmobiles, fords and recently a chevy equinox. i purchased it in june, 2006 and just traded the thing in after sueing gm for a lemon. :lemon: i bought a honda for the first time. it is a pilot.

i am in heaven, to say the least! best vehicle i have ever owned! i have had more compliments on this vehicle. i test drove a pathfinder and to me, it was rough. a friend of mine owns one and it hasn't done well over the last few years....it shakes, rattles and rolls! :cry:
    Thanks..and yea, I hear the pathfinder isn't that reliable which is a pity...

I did come across the 4runner and that seems nice too..so i'm gonna check that out as well.
  • check the 4 runner message board, big problems with vibration. i woulnd't touch one. rr70
    oo...thanks for the heads up...seems like it'll be the Pilot..only thing that bugs me are the color choices and the interior is somewhat bland...

Also..at night..what color does it light up on the interior..with the spedometer? All pics are in daylight online lol
  • robin15robin15 Posts: 18
    Hello Stumped. I'm looking to purchase an SUV soon and am stumped too, not thrilled with the choices. I own a 1998 Mountaineer. It has been a fantastic reliable car. The electronics are going, radio display, rear window wiper, door locks BUT only recently, the car has 117,000 miles. I was never happy with the rear seat leg room. To me it is a small SUV. But like I said over all for 8 years, it's been great. I think out of the three you have listed I would look at the Pilot too. I did not test drive on yet. I did not like the third row seat, it looked crammed in there. I am looking at the Mitsubishi Endeavor. My brother has a 2004 and has not had any problems with it. He did mention that the manufacture suggests premium gas. I spoke to two different salesmen about that and they said you can use regular, if it pings use premium. He also said that unless it is marked on the gasoline door PREMIUM, you can use regular. Since the Endeavor gets 17 mpg, premium gas at every fill up would be a deal breaker, for me anyway. The price tag on the Endeavor is also below what you are looking at. I'm still not 100% sold on the Endeavor. STUMPED!!!!! :confuse:
    Well...it came down to the Pathfinder and Pilot..so here's the dilemma:
    I can lease an 06' Path LE for 369/m 42 months 12k miles 0down
    07 Pilot for 385 EXL with Nav for 42 months 12k miles 0 down

What I liked about the pathfinder was it's strength..the thing just felt damn strong, more fun to drive, and a better sound system.

Pilot was more comfortable inside and easier to drive. Also the wood trim inside makes it look totally different, I like it a lot more..What I can't stand about the Pilot is the interior leather choices..it's that washy grey or Saddle, WHICH I have yet to see what it looks like in a picture..

I think I'm leaning towards the Pilot though.
    Stumped, hello again. Before you purchase the Pilot, read the reviews Honda Pilot Owners: Problems & Solutions , especially #15. I think i just ruled out the Pilot. Mitsubishi is offering $4,000 off a 2006 and $1,000 off a 2007 (Houston, Texas area). I think the Endeavor is looking better. The warranty is hard to beat too. Just trying to confuse the issue. *L* :)
    .... an after thought. I have NEVER heard anything good about a lease. At the end of your lease you'd of paid $15,500. for the Path and own nothing. Look at 2005, 6's with 12,000 approx miles in excellent condition to keep that monthly payment down. I am looking at new and low mile SUV's. I'd rather go in for dental work than look for a car. :cry:
  • i see in #8 mitsubishi is offering a large rebate. hhhmmm, it seems the vehicles that last longer don't offer them because they know people will buy them anyway. money isn't everything as i have learned. i purchased new vehicle in june with a large rebate. i was so excited...turned out to be a lemon. junk junk junk! now i own a pilot, which had no rebate.....and it is wonderful! i never owned a honda until now.....and now see that i was the one missing out all this time.
  • ralph9ralph9 Posts: 88
    If you read the "problems" forums for the vehicles you are considering, you will probably not want to purchase any of them. Take a look at the April issue of Consumer Reports in your library for ratings and maintenance histories of the past models for the vehicles you are considering.
    We have 10k miles on our 2005 Pilot and so far it's the best vechicle of the twenty we have owned in terms of looks and driveability. Honda has an excellent reputation for the reliability of their vehicles. My son leases a 4 Runner and it seems to seat only 4 people comfortably and also seems more geared to off-roading than the Pilot. I suggest taking a peek at the "carbuyingtips.com" site for ideas to consider during the process. Dealing with the internet salesperson is usally better financially. Good luck with your choice.
    I don't think I'd get a Mitsubishi, don't feel comfortable with that. The Pilot just seems safe, and I can't afford to buy a car, nor do I want to because after 3-4 years, I'd want a new one.

And the new pilot coming out will be awesome, but unfortunately I can't wait.
    If you really want the new Pilot, relook at the lease and see if it can be turned in at the end of a year, then purchase the new pilot... just a thought
    Just curious, what is the make/model of the new vehicle you purchased in june? Did the manufacture take it back?

Vehicles that last longer.... ? Mitsubishi did not slow production of their vehicles when gas prices soared, unlike other auto makers.. Mitsubi wanted to keep their plants open. So they have more cars on the lot. Good for the consumer.

I am not completely sold on the Endeavor, nor any of the SUV's.. but no matter what i end up with, i haven't missed out on anything... certainly not what car i drive... :shades:
    I see in a previous post your lemon was a Chevy Equinox. That must of been a nightmare.

My research shows the Best mid sized SUV's 2006
    1. Toyota 4 Runner
    2. Mitsubihi Endeavor (tied with the)
    3. Honda Pilot
    4. Nissan Murano

Best Full size 2006
    1. Chevy Suburban
    2. Chevy Tahoe
    3. Toyota Sequoia
    Where do you "research"..just wondering. The Murano is nice, but the dashboard bugs the hell out of me..it's HUGE..and I want more cargo space.

I check autos.com quite frequently..i like their lists.

I'm leaning towards the Pathfinder now because it seems more fun than the Pilot..and less bland. Gonna go to a Nissan dealership again tomorrow and check it out.
    OK..i was just thinking...3rd row for Pathfinder and Pilot..I'm not gonna use it, most likely ever. So, with that being said, the main reason I want a midsize is due to the feeling of being in something larger than my previous cars, and I want to be higher on the road.

So something clicked..Nissan Murano..It's rated very well AND has more 2nd row room than suvs with 3 rows of seats..so if i'm never using a 3rd row..would a Murano make a better choice than a pathfinder or Pilot..AND, I'll add, I don't go off-roading..I live in NYC..pot holes are enough for me. :shades:
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    Maybe not - the curved seat back in the Murano gets dinged by some reviewers.

"When it comes to space in cars, raw size really may not be that critical. How that space is used can be just as important. When professional organizations compare available cargo space between S.U.V.’s and station wagons, it is the sport-utility vehicle that often comes up short."

Spacious and Efficient, but Not an Ego Trip (NY Times). Yeah, they are touting wagons, but there's a lot of SUV cargo info mixed in.

But cargo hauling isn't on your list anyway so ....