Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Purchasing Motorhomes

Comments

• mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    edited October 2010
    2009 Bentley Continental GTC, 552 hp, W-12 engine and is AWD.
    edited October 2010
    It has black wood with the Mulliner package, sport shifter, sport peddles and cross stitching in the seats.
    edited July 2011
    It's been a while since I've posted on my 'own' thread! Ha Ha!!!!

Currently on a 6,500 mile trip taking us from California to New York and back. The motorhome has 41,500 miles and increasing with each passing day.

We are currently at a campground in Santa Claus, IN, and you would think there must be a motorhome shortage..... this is a huge campground FULL of RV's of all types. It's nice to see families interacting with each other.

Safe travels!

Mark156 :P
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    The motorhome has 41,500 miles and increasing with each passing day.

Glad to hear you're still using it to the full. Too many seem to get just a couple of thousand annually.
    We made it back to TN for a few weeks then we'll head north east towards New York with stops in Corning, NY, to see the glass blowing. The Steuben factory is there too where I think you can see the glass being made.

Niagara Falls is also on the list and we'll try and enter on the Canadian side as 'they' say it's the better side to see the falls.

We plan to take the motorhome close to NYC but will be visiting B&B's in the New England area and leave the motorhome in the outskirts.

I just had the tires rotated (front axle to the tag axle) as I was having a little wear on the steering tires and virtually no wear on the tag axle. So, with over 40,000 miles on the tires, I thought I could get maybe another 40,000 miles before I need to change the tires out.

Motorhome tires need to be changed out on 'age', not mileage. The way the tires are wearing, I could probably get 200,000 miles easy. But, motorhome tires last 7-10 yrs with change-out at a max of 10 years (per Michelins chart). At $650 per tire mounted (we have 8 tires), I want to get my use out of our current tires before change-out.

I just had the major oil/filter change, generator oil change, chassis lube, battery check and fuel filter change. We change the oil every 10,000 miles but can go 15,000 per the manual. Chassis lubes are every 5,000 miles.

I like to stay on top of service and so far, it's served us well with no breakdowns.

Mark156
    Presumably one of the reasons for defining the tire life by time rather than mileage is the constant exposure to UV by the outer facing sidewalls.

It would seem logical that the life could safely be extended if the tires were reversed on the rims at some point equaling half an improved lifespan (maybe at 7 1/2 years giving a 15 year life)?
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    Nice trip, Mark! You make great use of that thing.

If you fine yourself going south of NYC let me know. I'm 30 miles north of Atlantic City.
    Mac, that's a good point. When "Pete's" rotated the tires from front to back, they turned the tires around. Even thought they stayed on the same side, they are now, in a sense, rolling backwards from their original position.

Apparently, Michelin has no problem with reversing the tires. The guy at 'Pete's' wanted the date codes to be on the outside. Most of the dates codes are around '4306'. Now that the tires are turned around, the sun can hit the new side. LOL!

I keep 303 protectant on the tires so I have no cracking as of yet.

Mark156 :blush:
    I've dropped our host a line about this so it should be gone soon.
    edited September 2011
    Hey Mac,

What happened that you needed to contact a host?

Anyway, we're continuing our New England trip and are now ensconced in New Hampshire and it's SO nice to be in cooler weather. We're approaching 45,000 miles on the coach and everything is going fine.

I had to replace my electric cable connecting the lights from the coach to the toad and couldn't find anyone locally to repair or replace the cord. So, I called the company in Oregon that originally installed the towing system and they shipped me a new cord the next day by UPS. Now, we're good!

The New England area is beautiful. The floods seem to be south of where we are and we'll continue to Maine in the next couple of days which is our final destination before we head back to TN.

It's amazing to see the trees are starting to change. We notice it starting in upstate NY at the end of August. Our trees don't start changing until October in TN.... so we might see a little of the beautiful fall colors before we head back.

Mark156
    Hey Mac, What happened that you needed to contact a host?

Just some spam. Our hosts are good about dealing with that stuff.

How did the connecting cord get damaged? Under normal circumstances there shouldn't really be much stress on it.

Sounds like you're continuing to get good value from your investment.
    Too many RVs sit parked for 48-50 weeks of the year.
    Nice deal there. It is beautiful up there. I have a brother in Maine and a brother who's not really a brother (a friend that's close enough to be a brother) in New Hampshire. I love that whole area.
    edited September 2011
    Mac,

The constant use of connecting and disconnecting the cords over 44,000 miles and 4.5 years have taken their toll. The metal housing around the connector that connected to the front of the Honda broke. So, we're good for a while with the new cord/connector.

I wouldn't want a motorhome that just sits, what a waste. We just saw George H. W. Bush's home in Kennebunkport, ME,....from a distance. Nice digs.

Mark156
    Fezo,

Your relatives/friends live in a beautiful area. We are on an architectural tour seeing seen at least 10-12 houses along the way. A Frank Lloyd Wright house (Martin Estate) and the George Eastman (Eastman/Kodak) houses in Rochester, NY. We're planing to see 'Falling Water', a Frank Lloyd Wright design near Pittsburg on the way back.

While in PA, we saw four duPont mansions.. (Winterthur, Longwood, Nemours and Hagley mansions). We also saw Monticello and Montpelier in Charlottesville, VA, and a couple of old plantations in Williamsburg. Great places!

Mark156
    Nice trip you're doing there, Mark! Enjoy.
    Well, I finally made it back to California after putting about 8,500 miles on the coach. Smooth sailing but the dash air needs a recharge. Thank goodness I can rum the 3 house air units if needed, and, they were needed!

One thing to look out for up in the New England area are the low bridges. We ran into two (not literally). The first one came up in Pennsylvania. We are 12' 11" tall and the old railroad bridge was 12.0. Thank goodness there was a place to pull off just before the bridge.

I had to unhook the Honda and back the coach up on a side street, reconnect the Honda and then call the police. Of course is started to rain at the moment we stopped for the bridge! LOL!

After about the 30 minutes the policeman showed up and couldn't have been nicer. He gave us exact directions to get around the low bridge. The second bridge we came up to (forgot which city) but it was 12' 6". There was an easy place to pull over so I stopped the coach and went into a nearby lawyers office.... they gave me exact directions to get around the 'detour' and off we went.

I need to get a 'truckers' Atlas and will soon. Other than that, we managed through hurricane Irene by heading inland while in New York state. Originally, we were going to see Niagara Falls on our way back from the New England area but decided to head west after the hurricane was predicted.

It hit us while in Corning, NY, (famous for their glass factories) and all we got was a full day of rain. We decided to tour Niagara Falls then head to the northeast. Everything worked fine and it was nice to see the leaves start to change at the end of August.

Mark156
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,599
    edited October 2011
    Mark

Instead of the atlas consider a dedicated trucker GPS or a trucker GPS ap for your iPhone or Android device. These can be updated quicker than an atlas.

BTW - PA is not New England! To us New Englanders, PA is the deep south.

:)
    And for those of us in New Jersey, Massachusetts is in Canada..... :P

Actually I very much like Massachusetts and now that I'm retired I tell my wife how her company has offices in Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Connecticut (these are all New England states, just to be clear...). Any one of them would work for me. If only they could turn the ocean up a couple of degrees.

Mark - great trip. Have done Niagara several times. Now that the youngest kids hit 10 I'll have to do it at least once more.
    robr2, anything north of Tennessee is in New England! .....I guess, it's all a matter of perspective. LOL!

I don't have an iphone, Android, etc.... just a regular ole cell phone. :confuse: The Honda has a navigation system. I would imagine the old low bridges have been around for a while so an old atlas probably would work just fine, LOL!

Seriously though, I would think new bridges have minimum height requirements of 13.6 like on the turnpikes. If we take the motorhome to the New England area again, I will certainly be better prepared! :blush:

Mark156 :)