Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Purchasing Motorhomes

Comments

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    shop for food for 5-6 days (restaurants can be far and few between)

Really? I was on I-40 earlier this summer between Albuquerque and Flagstaff and it seemed like there was a town of decent size every 60-100 miles.

Though I can understand wanting to cook your own food, since you've got all the equipment with you to do so.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,333
    Sedona, South of Flagstaff is worth the trip on old 89, the scenic route. :)
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    Sedona, South of Flagstaff is worth the trip on old 89, the scenic route.

That's exactly where the wife and I went the week after Memorial Day. I cannot for the life of me imagine mark's motorhome going down that canyon. :surprise:
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    We went to the Rancho Sedona RV park back in 2005 in a rental 38 ft. Fleetwood Expedition. The roads were fine. Sedona is an absolutely gorgeous place and is known as the "Grand Canyon Upside Down".

I would like to make a more scenic route but because of family matters, my trip has been pushed back making a more straight route the only way to go. We've got commitments next Friday so I'll have to drive 300 miles a day at least to get there by next Wednesday.

That will give me a day and a half to get the motorhome put up and stored before I head off to San Diego for two weeks (by Bentley) :blush:

Mark
    All is going well so far with the trek out west. First night was Sallisaw, OK at a KOA....last night was a little roadside RV park (West 40 RV Park) in Shamrock Texas. We've stayed here before when passing through last year. The owner is this little old lady (cute as a button) that runs the place and has for 40+ years.

She remembers when the dust bowl came through as late as the 1950's. She also has pictures made as postcards that her husband's family took way back in the 1930's of the dust bowl coming through....wow, amazing. She said her Mom would cover her crib with a blanket to protect her from the influx of dirt/dust.

Going to try and make Albuquerque today....gotta stop at Camping World for a new tire gauge and some 'toil-let' chemicals. Oh, the fun! :P

M.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    That will give me a day and a half to get the motorhome put up and stored before I head off to San Diego for two weeks (by Bentley) :blush:

I can see that life is getting tough but I'm sure you'll put your head down and push on through. ;)

Had you ever thought of using the Bentley as a 'toad'? That would make quite the statement as you pull into an RV park! :)
    Mac... I don't think the Bentley is towable....but it would make a great statement for sure!

Made it to Williams, AZ, to the Grand Canyon Railway RV park.....nice place and the low tonight is going to be 48! YEAH!

Figured my last two tanks of diesel and I got 8.8 and 7.1...... more hills on the last tank.

The Bentley gets 9.0 mpg's just going down the road with it's W-12 engine. :blush:

Mark :D
    Just checking in.... preparing the motorhome for an 8 day visit to Quartzsite, AZ, to the BIG TENT RV merchandise show (150,000 RV's will congregate in the area). Last year, I joined a group of 52 RV's and we all had a great time as we had pot luck dinners every night around the huge bonfire. Maybe there will be more RV's in our group this year.

Then, I'm off to Las Vegas for a week visiting with friends who also have an RV.

Yesterday I had to check all 8 tires for proper air pressure and install the TPMS sensors. I have one tire that the stem seems to be losing air so I'll have to have that checked out. With the sensor on, it seemed OK but don't want to risk it.

I also topped off all 8 house batteries with distilled water and will load up the coach with clothes and food in a couple of days.

Happy Camping!
    Mark :)
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    and will load up the coach with clothes

Pack up some warm ones. I understand it's unusually chilly down there!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I just read back to the beginning of this thread and I still haven't been to Yellowstone or Mt. Rushmore. Hoping to go to the northeast this summer that will include Niagara Falls. Time moves so fast and there is just not enough time to see everything. :sick:

Mark
    edited April 2010
    Have firm plans to stay at the Yellowstone Grizzly RV park at the west entrance to Yellowstone National Park in August. We'll also try and take a trip south to see the Grand Tetons, I hear that area is beautiful.

In about week, we'll take the motorhome to Las Vegas and stay for about 5 days. It's a fun city as I've been there on two short trips already this year.

I noticed that I was getting a little wear on the driver's side front tire (almost 29,000 miles) so I had an alignment done. Not too bad at $125 which included straightening the steering wheel (cocked slightly to the right).

Last summer, we met a really nice couple in Asheville, NC, who also had a Dynasty. They had purchased two small folding tables from a company in Oregon that matches the tables to your wood and cabinet color. I finally got around to ordering two for our motorhome and they were delivered recently. What neat little tables.

I plan on using them for coffee tables and/or a cocktail table in between the two recliners. We had been using the two ottomans with trays sitting on them. It's time to use the ottomans for my feet! LOL. I was really impressed with the quality and finish of the folding tables. So, this will be the first trip to use them. :blush:

Happy Travels,
    Mark156
    edited August 2010
    Well, here we are in August and we leave on Saturday to work our way from TN to Yellowstone National Park. It will be SO nice to get out of the sweltering heat of the south.

Our first stop will be in Saint Louis, MO, then off to Topeka, KS. We'll stay there for a couple of days visiting with friends then off to South Sioux City, NE. That's when we will finally get into much cooler temps.

We'll work out way to Hill City, SD, for three days at a KOA campground. We'll see Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. At this point, we are 560 miles from Yellowstone National Park. We'll work our way to West Yellowstone, MT, staying at the Grizzly RV Park (5 days). This will give us the opportunity take our time to drive our 'toad' through the park (see Old Faithful) and even go down to the beautiful Grand Tetons south of Yellowstone National Park.

We'll then go towards Washington State making our way to Seattle then work our way to Portland, Eugene and Medford, OR. Northern California is a definite stop to the wine country (Sonoma and Napa). Just south of there we'll stay in San Francisco a couple of days, actually, parking the Motorhome outside the city and taking the Honda into town and staying at a hotel for a couple of days to enjoy the city.

Our final destination is Southern California until after Thanksgiving. :shades:

Mark156
    Sounds like it'll be a satisfying trip, and I certainly envy you getting away from the current heat and humidity.

Make sure you post pics if the Bentley ever gets pressed into 'toad' duty! ;)
    edited August 2010
    Ok Mac.... here it is!
    Photobucket">
    Better pic...
    Photobucket">
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,333
    Suggest you head North from Yellowstone on 89 to Great Falls, 15 to Lethbridge, on up to Calgary. Thence West on 1 to the parks. While spending a few days at Banff & Lake Louise, take the toad to Jasper and back. Continue West to Kamloops thence South to Vancouver. It is guaranteed you will take in giant mountain scenery you will always remember. It takes Passports to get back in the states or some sort of proof of citizenship. :)
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,360
    Give us all the good details, Mark. Some of us live vicariously with your adventures....
  • otto8otto8 Posts: 116
    Post more pics of the Bentley!
    edited August 2010
    I've tried for two days to post pics of the Bentley... it just will not work for some reason.

Mark :sick:
    We traveled 4,200 miles covering 13 states in 6.5 weeks (TN, AR, MO, KS, NE, IA, SD, WY, MT, ID, WA, OR, CA). The highlights were Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Yellowstone National Park, Glacier National Park and Crater Lake. :blush:

Mark156
    edited October 2010
    2009 Bentley Continental GTC, 552 hp, W-12 engine and is AWD.
    edited October 2010
    It has black wood with the Mulliner package, sport shifter, sport peddles and cross stitching in the seats.
    edited July 2011
    It's been a while since I've posted on my 'own' thread! Ha Ha!!!!

Currently on a 6,500 mile trip taking us from California to New York and back. The motorhome has 41,500 miles and increasing with each passing day.

We are currently at a campground in Santa Claus, IN, and you would think there must be a motorhome shortage..... this is a huge campground FULL of RV's of all types. It's nice to see families interacting with each other.

Safe travels!

Mark156 :P
    The motorhome has 41,500 miles and increasing with each passing day.

Glad to hear you're still using it to the full. Too many seem to get just a couple of thousand annually.
    We made it back to TN for a few weeks then we'll head north east towards New York with stops in Corning, NY, to see the glass blowing. The Steuben factory is there too where I think you can see the glass being made.

Niagara Falls is also on the list and we'll try and enter on the Canadian side as 'they' say it's the better side to see the falls.

We plan to take the motorhome close to NYC but will be visiting B&B's in the New England area and leave the motorhome in the outskirts.

I just had the tires rotated (front axle to the tag axle) as I was having a little wear on the steering tires and virtually no wear on the tag axle. So, with over 40,000 miles on the tires, I thought I could get maybe another 40,000 miles before I need to change the tires out.

Motorhome tires need to be changed out on 'age', not mileage. The way the tires are wearing, I could probably get 200,000 miles easy. But, motorhome tires last 7-10 yrs with change-out at a max of 10 years (per Michelins chart). At $650 per tire mounted (we have 8 tires), I want to get my use out of our current tires before change-out.

I just had the major oil/filter change, generator oil change, chassis lube, battery check and fuel filter change. We change the oil every 10,000 miles but can go 15,000 per the manual. Chassis lubes are every 5,000 miles.

I like to stay on top of service and so far, it's served us well with no breakdowns.

Mark156
    Presumably one of the reasons for defining the tire life by time rather than mileage is the constant exposure to UV by the outer facing sidewalls.

It would seem logical that the life could safely be extended if the tires were reversed on the rims at some point equaling half an improved lifespan (maybe at 7 1/2 years giving a 15 year life)?
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,360
    Nice trip, Mark! You make great use of that thing.

If you fine yourself going south of NYC let me know. I'm 30 miles north of Atlantic City.
    Mac, that's a good point. When "Pete's" rotated the tires from front to back, they turned the tires around. Even thought they stayed on the same side, they are now, in a sense, rolling backwards from their original position.

Apparently, Michelin has no problem with reversing the tires. The guy at 'Pete's' wanted the date codes to be on the outside. Most of the dates codes are around '4306'. Now that the tires are turned around, the sun can hit the new side. LOL!

I keep 303 protectant on the tires so I have no cracking as of yet.

Mark156 :blush:
    I've dropped our host a line about this so it should be gone soon.