Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Warranty & Extended Warranty

2»

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I wouldn't be surprised if the service departments greatly exaggerate the price and and maybe even the extent of the repairs when they write up your copy of the invoice.
    When you look at the high dollar amount you have "saved" by buying the extended warranty, you will tell others about it and buy another warranty from them the next time you buy a car.

A marketing technique.

Car dealerships certainly have done and still do worse things than this, so it is not that unlikely.

They can write any amount since you aren't paying it. The warranty may have only paid them an hour or two of a pre-negotiated discounted rate labor charge to fix a wind noise, but they might pencil whip $900 as the value of the repair and you have no way of knowing or no real desire to verify or question it (since the warranty is covering it) and instead think to yourself: "Wow! I am so smart/lucky to have paid for this great extended warranty so I can get all these free repairs now! "
  • steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    I hope you made sure this is a legit site because GM doesnt sell for a penny less than list price for their warranties.
    Update-API is bankrupt and the extended warranty is now worthless. Thanks to Huntington Chevrolet, whose finance manager talked us into buying this POS over GMs warranty, whixh is what I wanted in the first place.
    GM refuses to intervene at all.
    Should my next car be bought from Chevy or any other GM dealer?
  • mitzijmitzij Posts: 612
    Update-API is bankrupt and the extended warranty is now worthless. Thanks to Huntington Chevrolet, whose finance manager talked us into buying this POS over GMs warranty, which is what I wanted in the first place. So it's their fault you bought something you didn't want? Your previous post (#19-this thread) reflects no strong-arming on the dealer's part. At the time, you thought you were getting the better deal, above and beyond Chevy's 'crappie warranty'. You even checked out a third service contract company before buying API.

GM refuses to intervene at all.
    Should it? GM has no dog in the fight. A franchisee sold a contract that GM has no involvement in. You might have some recourse through the dealer. Read your contract carefully. If there is mention that the dealer shares responsibility, you may get some repairs paid for by them.

Should my next car be bought from Chevy or any other GM dealer?
    I'd be showing my bias if I said yes! Many dealers, be they Honda, Chevy, Toyota, or Ford, will try to sell a third-party contract over a manufacturer-backed one any day. They make more profit off third-party contracts.
    The dealer is only honoring the warranty by doing repairs there-in NY. My mother lives is San Diego now.
    I think GM should get involved as their dealers represent GM. GM gets involved with service at the dealer, I see no reason why this should be any different. At least they should offer her a GM warranty and then get the money from the dealer.
    Let's say the dealership has a Coke machine in their office, and you buy a drink. You take it home, and a few days later, you pop the top and find a big bug floating in your Sprite. Do you blame General Motors? The Dealership? or does the blame lie with Coca Cola? The dealership contracts with Coke to supply the machine/product. They make a profit from the sales. The dealership franchises with GM to sell cars.

Is it GM's fault you got a bug in your Sprite? Of course not. GM has no control over what another company does. GM's contract with the dealer is in regards to selling cars, not Cokes, or (non-GM) service contracts. Is it the Dealer's fault? How was the dealer to know there would be a problem with your drink? They don't control production, they just get a cut of the sale because they supply the space for the machine.

It's not GM's fault, or the dealer's fault, that your service contract company went bankrupt and left you with an expensive, useless, contract.
    Considering in this case we asked for a GM warranty and he goaded us non stop into buying the API warranty, even going as far as saying the big advantage is that we wouldnt have to take the car to their dealer to get it fixed we could go anywhere. I find that a little odd. He pushed the warranty on us, and even though the fault lies ultimately with us for signing it, it was done under duress and with him pushing that warranty over GMs. GM makes money on their warranties, GM wants customers to use their service, and this dealer who is selling GM products basically talked us out of GMs own warranty.
    So, yes, I think GM should be getting involved on our behalf.
    Your previous posts:
    (#15)
    My mother got a 7 year warranty from a company that wasnt GM, and from the dealer. He actually pushed this one over GMs. I was hesitant to tell my mother to get it but she will keep this car forever, so I figured for $1400 it would be a decent deal. I talked him down from $1900. Her favorite service station also accepts this warranty and said they have never had an issue with them.
    Also, if she never needs to use the warranty, after 7 years she gets the entire $1400 back.
    Peace of mind I guess. Its easier to pay off the $1400 over the life of the loan than for her to come up with a ton of money if something should ever happen.
    (#19)
    They charge more for the warranty if you do it that way.
    I got my mom a 7 year API Warranty for $1400. So basically its 4 yrs tacked on to Chevy's crappy warranty. With API she can go to her Firestone dealer and have the work done if she needs it. Closer by than the dealer, better hours, drive home service, AAA Station. I also considered the AAA Extended Warranty.
    This is going to be her last car, she wants it to last, and she doesnt want any surprises down the road. She may or may not need it, but she knows after the 3 year GM warranty is up all she will ever have to pay for a major repair is the $100 deductible. The warranty also covers wear and tear, which some don't.
    If she didnt get such a good deal on the car I wouldnt have had her get the warranty. She got the Impala LT1 for $20,100, minus my $3,000 GM Card Rebate which I gave her. So I figured what the heck, GM gave me an extra $1400 off towards the car.

Hardly the language of a man 'goaded' into buying a certain service contract. You weighed the options, you even checked out another third-party company, you seem proud that you got a good price for your mother. You brag that you talked the guy down a few hundred bucks. You were happy with your decision back then, don't decide now that you were coerced. This was 100% your decision. If you don't know enough to realize that the finance man is going to push the contract that makes him the most money, perhaps you should not 'help' your mother (or anyone else) buy cars in the future. No salesperson has your best interests at heart-he's trying to make money.
    I guess at the time I was pleased because that dealers service center was so bad. After her first service where they did nothing on the car and even scratched it to boot I became pleased that we didnt have to go back there again-Huntington Chevrolet-worst service dept. ever.
    Now she's screwed since the car is in SD and API is bankrupt.
    Now she's screwed since the car is in SD and API is bankrupt.

Which has nothing to do with Huntington Chevrolet. You just want to blame somebody, rather than blaming the person who signed the contract.
    Do you want me to say: Yes! it's GM's fault! they should unwind the deal! Give you a GMPP contract! Give you a new car! Buy you a house!
    Ain't gonna happen.
    You posted. I gave you a dose of reality.

I work for a dealership, but never heard of Huntington Chev until your post.
    I believe there's something in the membership agreement on this site about calling people names.

I'm just trying to get you to stop blaming third parties when you bought a dud service contract of your own volition.

If you had heeded the warnings (many of which I wrote) on this site, and not bought a third-party service contract, you'd not be in the pickle in which you find yourself. That's not my fault, not the dealership's fault, and definitely not GM's fault.
    Thats fine, but if someone came on and said they were out $1400 I'd be a tad supportive.
    The dealer did pressure sell the warranty and yes we're to blame for signing it and I admit I did try and convince myself that we did the right thing, but when someone goes into a GM dealer and requests a GM warranty thats what they should get. Buying a car is a pressure situation and I thought GM would be surprised to hear that the dealer put down GM's own warranty in favor of a third party. They were not pleased about it, but like you said they wouldnt be able to do anything about it.
    Lesson to all out there-NEVER buy a Third Party Warranty.
    Thats fine, but if someone came on and said they were out $1400 I'd be a tad supportive.
    My first response to you was supportive-I suggested you find out if the dealer was responsible via your contract. You treated that advice with the same attitude you treated my (an others') advice two years ago when you bought the contract. I recall one poster even warned you that API could go bankrupt.

I have great sympathy for people who are taken advantage of, but when they allow themselves to be snookered in spite of excellent advice, my sympathy wanes.

We've got a couple who bought a new Malibu here. They are very nice, very old people. Their car is 4 years old, has all of 6500 miles on it. My service manager makes a trip to their house about twice a year to charge the battery for them (for free). Mrs. Malibu showed up a few months ago with a shiny new service contract, she paid $2600 for it.She needs a service contract like she needs a hole in her head. (the boss will goodwill any repairs it needs for as long as he can) It broke my heart to see, though there's nothing I can do except encourage cancellation. One of those fly-by-night companies that auto-calls people got ahold of her and convinced her to buy. If she'd called me, I could have saved her $2600.

Lesson to all out there-NEVER buy a Third Party Warranty.
    The smartest thing you've said all month.
  • When inquiring about extended warranties in these forums some time ago, the name and website of a dealership in Penn. was given as a wholesaler whose prices on the GM Protection Plans were very attractive (Black Pontiac Cadillac GM Outlet ~ http://www.gmoutlet.com ) My question is this: has anyone ever conducted business with them and if so - how was the experience? The western Pennsylvania BBB site has them listed as not receiving any complaints ("...does not have an unusual volume or pattern of complaints, or any government actions involving its marketplace conduct. The BBB understands and has no concerns about the business' products services and type of business. The BBB processed no complaints about this business in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period.)

Does anyone have any information they could add in regards to this dealer OR any other options to purchase the GMPP (at attractive prices?).

Best Regards,

Brian
  • Funny you should mention them bacause I was going to (probably still will in a few months) get their warranty. I haven't heard anything negative or positive about them, BUT - the GM warranty is like a store product insomuch as it doesn't matter where you get it - it will be honored at any GM dealership service department. Asumming of course that they (GM) stay in business.

Thanks for the question. Anyone buy from them?
  • For what it is worth - I made the rounds this afternoon to some local GM dealerships in regards to GMPP prices (as my intent was, if at all possible, to support a local business before going to one out of state). Out of 3 dealerships I stopped at 1 stopped just short of calling me a liar when I told him of the wholesalers price and wouldn't work with me any more (and I won't be going back there again!), the second suggested that I buy a new car as to get further warranty coverage (uh, sure) and the 3rd was willing to work with me on the pricing and ended up matching the wholesalers price - much to my surprise!

Lesson learned: give the local businesses a chance, be honest and cordial with them and see what they are willing to do!

-Brian
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 836
    One difference. Here in TN if you buy locally, even if they match the sales prices, you pay 9.125% sales tax. So, just assuming round figures, your $1000 GMPP bought locally totals $1091.25 while buying off the internet out of state costs you $1000...of course, most states require that you send them the tax on out of state purchases, so it would be even :-)
  • The sales tax scenario you bring up is one I didn't even think of. Thankfully we are fortunate that here in Minnesota there is no tax on Warranty/Service contracts!

Good reading: http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-article-a-2604-m-2-sc-59-sales_tax_on_the_inter- net_who_pays_it_who_doesnt-i
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 836
    Yep... Every state is pretty much different on taxes. TN is fortunate that we have been able to avoid having a state INCOME tax so the sales tax is high to try and make up for that.
  • sdengsdeng Posts: 1
    Here is mine story.

1. On 2/27/2010 I bought the 2009 Impala CPO with 38781 miles on it, specifically asked the financial manager with Community Chevrolet if there is any deductible, answer was NO. But it actually came with $100 deductible.

2. The CPO car came with 12000mile/12month as certified vehicle, and I purchased 32000mile/48month GMPP Major Guard protection. Again the financial manager with Community Chevrolet told us the car would still be in coverage till 2/27/2015 or at 82781 miles. So it will start after the certified warranty runs out. I think that is a logical explanation. Just to find out that the coverage I purchased only covers up to 2/27/2014 or at 70781. In fact, it costs $1800 for 20000mile/36month.

3. When I got the booklet, sent emails on 05/18/2010 to the sale person, financial manager, and sales manager asking to cancel the policy, the dealership seems to be nonexistence.

Call GMPP, they were saying that it is MY FAULT that signed a document that I didn’t understand. Had to admit that I was trick by the straight and simple lies from the seemingly friendly ppl in the dealership. Other than saying it is a scam to rip you off, with the GMPP running side by side with the factory warranty for CPO, what is the point? And both GMPP and ppl in the dealership try to hide that fact.
  • garsarnogarsarno Posts: 72
    Bought a dealer demo 2011 Impala LTZ this past Friday with 2,000 miles on it. Bought from GMPP web site the Major Guard Extended Warranty for 5 years / 100,000 miles. Now everything is covered like the 3 year / 36,000 miles warranty. Paid $1,475 for it but the other option was a local extended warranty company for $874 for the same coverage. I thought that the GM one was better as there is no question as to who pays. GM does. I had a 2007 Impala SS that was on it's third transmission in 60,000 miles. The car also needed a replacement module for the remote start / TPMS system that would cost $600+. The Major Guard would cover it. Got quite a deal on the LTZ, $31,655 MSRP and with all the rebates and discounts, $24,000.
  • lev280lev280 Posts: 27
    Just purchased a Silverado C1500 LT. Using the link above, I am seeing the 72/72,000 plan for for $980 - $100 (expires 5/31). Wonder if this $100 special discount comes around every other month or so; or is it a rare deal?
  • Did anyone finally get to buy the GMPP from GM Outlet. I am at the verge of making a decision but am really not sure if GM Outlet is a scam or not. The website is not at all impressive and so my doubts.
2»