Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Deville: Problems & Solutions

124»

Comments

• bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    The rings are carboned up.

Take the car out and run it floored. Let it hit all the max rpm 's in each gear. You will probably see lots of black smoke coming out the tail pipes. Do this several times. Let it coast down after each run-up, this also helps break the rings loose.

I'm not responsible for possible speeding tickets, since this process should take you up to 90mph or so each time, which is probably only the shift point from 3rd to 4th gear. 3rd might even take you past 90mph.

Anyway, the only other procedure (and your dealer should know about this) is to use a 'kit' (cleaner, adapters for removing cleaner, etc) and process documented by CAdillac. It pours a cleaner into the cylinders thru plug holes, let it set, vacumn it out, run the car, change the oil, run cleaner thru it again, run it, change oil again.
  • I have a 1975 Cadillac Coupe deville and I can't get the locks to work. Neither the electric switch or the button locks work. The wires running to the switches seem to have a current running through them. Can anyone give me some advice on how to fix it?
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Do you mean the manual stalks on the rear, top of the doors?

If these won't move, it sure sounds like a manual linkage problem to me. There are lots of little metal rods, clips, levers, etc in there. In 32 years stuff wears out, breaks, or comes unclipped.

You are going to have to pull door panels and visualy inspect this sucker. A power actuator (just a big reostat) might be dead or jammed, but I would think the manual button would still work....
  • Strange problem...i have heat blowing out on the passenger side but cold air blowing out on driver's side. Mechanic checked blend doors (as he called them) and they were opening and closing properly, he said. He also said that maybe there is another door way up inside that he can't get at. At 80 bucks an hour for labor, am reluctant to just drop off and let them run up a bill playin with it. Any advice?
  • rugby3rugby3 Posts: 2
    bought a 97 deville with northstar last week, next day told dealer ck coolent was on, he said just add coolent so I put about a gallon in. ok for 2 days same thing happened. dealer said too bad you didn't buy extended warranty. ind mech says most likley a head gasket. will try those tablets and pray. question is do you ever talk about good bad dealers by name? on my bense site they can,in absence of reccomendation for honest repair site by name any way to see what it should cost for repair? hate to get screwed twice
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,012
    As we are moving towards more focused topics, this discussion will now close. New discussions have been created at the Cadillac DeVille top board level and posts from here have been moved there. Please post in the current topics or create a new discussion.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

124»
This discussion has been closed.