Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Alero Starting-Stalling Problems

Comments

• patriot79patriot79 Member Posts: 4
    I FIXED MY ALERO. Problem, alero was not starting and have to wait 10 min with key on to reset passlock. My gf's cousin brought his car computer over and hooked it up. At the end he said it was a bad ground for the computer security bla bla bla. I looked under the hood and I found 3 or 4 ground wires grounding to the Driver side fender, One on the front in front of the air hose, driver side, and one on or around the fuse box itself. i got a wrench and loosened the bolts a little and wiggled the wire connectors and then tighten them back up, The car has STARTED EVERY TIME SINCE !! I Hope this will fix Your problem too.
    I FIXED MY ALERO. Problem, alero was not starting and have to wait 10 min with key on to reset passlock. My gf's cousin brought his car computer over and hooked it up. At the end he said it was a bad ground for the computer security bla bla bla. I looked under the hood and I found 3 or 4 ground wires grounding to the Driver side fender, One on the front in front of the air hose, driver side, and one on or around the fuse box itself. i got a wrench and loosened the bolts a little and wiggled the wire connectors and then tighten them back up, The car has STARTED EVERY TIME SINCE !! I Hope this will fix Your problem too. Pass This Along.
    . Problem, alero was not starting and have to wait 10 min with key on to reset passlock. My gf's cousin brought his car computer over and hooked it up. At the end he said it was a bad ground for the computer security bla bla bla. I looked under the hood and I found 3 or 4 ground wires Two on the Driver side fender, One on the front in front of the air hose, driver side, and one on or around the fuse box itself. i got a wrench and loosened the bolts a little (leave them snug when you wiggle it so it digs in good ground) and wiggled the wire connectors and then tighten them back up, The car has STARTED EVERY TIME SINCE !! For ONE MONTH. I Hope this will fix Your problem too. Pass This Along.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    From your description, it sounds like your not going to get anywhere with not having to pay for it yourself. You had a basic powertrain warranty, which isn't going to cover the wiring harness inside the car (I take it from your description that was where the problem occured, somewhere in the dash area around the radio). Your going to spend far more going the legal process than you can ever hope to recover, and I doubt your going to get much attention from the media on a five year old used car, but it won't hurt to try.
  • 144tap144tap Member Posts: 44
    I had been using the 10/15 minute restart rule for the past 4 months about once a month, then once a week, then 3 times this past week. Took it to a local garage and Curt pulled out a secondary alarm system that he said was the problem. Been doing good for a week now. Wait and see.
  • dtebeaudtebeau Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Alero where I can turn the ignition to off position and the engine turns off but the electric will not turn off. Even when the key is in off position and the key is out the battery and oil light stays on, I can also turn the radion on and off. I have to keep turning the car on then off several times sometimes and finally the electric will turn off. It's randomly will work and not work.
    Let me know if you have any ideas.
    Thanks,
    Ignition switch.
  • carmonkey88carmonkey88 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with my 01 Alero. Did the fix given fix your problem? If not have you found the fix? Thanks.
  • redflagdealsredflagdeals Member Posts: 1
    hello i seam to be having the same problem, however my security light does not flash is stays on and if i wait 10 mins with the key in the on position,it never turns off. does that mean im not resting the security passlock? any help is appreciated thanks!!
  • frustrated32frustrated32 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. My security light doesn't flash either. How can I reset the system if it doesn't flash? I have had my PCM changed out by the dealership under warrenty and that seemed to work for about a month. I tried to tell them (The Dealership) about my continuing problem and they doen't believe me. They said that everything is working the way it should and that it started up ererytime they tried it. I am frustrated. I am so glad to find this web site so I know that I am not alone on this and I am not going insane. Sometimes it helps if I turn my steering wheel as I turn the ignition. I doesn't help all the times but some of the time.
  • 7mileshigh7mileshigh Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Alero with 148000 miles on it and the same thing has been happening
    It will be ok for a while them the rpms start to drop and rise again. I have to slow down
    and stop for while to let it cool down then stay under 50mph. I have not had a chance to have someone look at. its very nerve racking not knowing if you'll make it to a safe place if you stall
  • 7mileshigh7mileshigh Member Posts: 2
    I been having this problem for over 2 years I just ended up giving my self an extra 10 minutes in case it wont start, to reset the system. Better than spending an arm and leg for something that wont fix it.
  • mankatoguymankatoguy Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX. I just returned from a weeklong vacation to find my car is having starting problems. As I turn the key, the car starts right up but then immediately will die off no matter if I give it gas or not. I have 3/4 tank of fuel; the radio works along with the lights and everything (so I know it's not the battery), the fuel pump primes when the key is in the on position (so I don't think it's the fuel pump); checked all the fuses; I tried the passlock which I read on one of these forums but the security light doesn't blink or shut off (I even waited 20 mins). I should also note that my power locks don't seem to be working, and my dome light doesn't work either (these are the only things I have noticed not working). In fact all of my doors were unlocked when I entered the car after coming back, when I knew for a fact that I double checked that everything was locked (no spare keys). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • janeo22janeo22 Member Posts: 18
    I disconnect the battery cables and then put them back on. You may also talk to your service person next time you get your oil changed and he/she will show you how to reset all elec. system in the car. You may either take off the fuse system cover (way over on the left side of your dash (you have to have your door open to access this), and push the reset button in for a number of seconds, they can show you in your owners manual how to do this properly. This seems to work well for an extended period of time, because I haven't had to do it since the end of January. When this car is paid off I'm buying something with excellent ratings. This is infuriating.
  • jagir03jagir03 Member Posts: 17
    Hi, I have 2001 Alero sometimes it won't start, if hit the fuel tank with rubber hammer it fires right up and starts without any problems for about two weeks. I think it is the brushes on the pump motor. I have bought a fuel pump rebuild kit from ebay for $117 instead of whole fuel pump module which is lot more money. I need to know if anybody out there has changed out just the pump and strainers and was successful. How hard was the job and if I should watch out for any problems that I will come across. I do a lot of work on my own cars but have never changed a fuel pump on this vehicle. Thanks in advance for any help.
  • 05wagon05wagon Member Posts: 9
    Bought 2002 alero and added 3yr bump-to-bumper warranty. Ignition/no start problem started with only a few months left on extended warranty. They replaced fuel pump at GM cost, but refused to cover further costs if problem persisted after warranty expiration. So we traded car off, as all news from internet forums was the same - no for sure solution to starting problems. We noted many posters loved their alero just as much we did. What a foolish decision by GM to not take care of their customers.
    Ofcourse now we know they were in an economic crisis. We, like others, will not buy another GMproduct. If they would not help resolve a nickel and dime problem what would they do with a major repair issue. Shame on you GM.
  • jagir03jagir03 Member Posts: 17
    My windshield wiper fluid reservoir is leaking on 2001 Olds Alero, I see it under the battery. Do I have to take the inner fender lining off so I can change it or repair. Please let me know if somebody has already done this job. Thanks
  • 97oldslss97oldslss Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 olds lss.this is the deal.last week i got in it to leave it would not start just one click comming from the starter so i changed the starter and she started right up one week later same thing just one click so i took the starter out and got it tested and it is a good starter and solinoid power and ground are good and in tact.the click that i am hearing is the starter when i turn the key it is throwing the bendix to the top of starter but not spinning (i just watched it work at autozone good starter) also new battery.anyone that can help please do so i have missed 6 days of work so far and need to get back on the road :cry:
  • ckobleckoble Member Posts: 1
    i've been having the same problems lately. no interior lights at all but headlights can be switched on. batt light, low oil pressure light, and service vehicle soon all on when attempting to start. oh, and the trunk decided it liked to pop open on its own and similar problems with the locks. replaced the fuel filter and started up fine, worked for the day, then no start that night. next day replaced the fuel pressure regulator and oil pressure sensor, started up, worked fine, and nothing that night. had it towed and checked at a local shop only to be told to take it to a gm dealer. went there to find out its the BCM (body control module). waiting on the fix ($491 aprox) and we'll see how it goes from there. love the car but im tired of all the repairs.
  • qantanzuqantanzu Member Posts: 1
    Also check the fuse block. The fuse block on my son's car was removed and it was found to be very corroded. The engine would turn over, but not start. The ODB II reader could not read any codes. The problem was worse when it rained. The door locks also would not work correctly. The fuse block was replaced and rewired and it works fine now. There must have been a leak that caused water to corrode the fuse block.
  • mjtrickmjtrick Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: My car just all of a sudden died on me and then wouldnt start back up. Im at a dead end. I have figured out I have no spark and no fuel, I have a chevy malibu with the same engine so I have been switching out parts and it still hasnt worked. So far I have replaced the computer, the crankshaft sensor, the camshaft sensor, (i had the ignition module tested and it passed), I switched out the ignition and I have checked all my fuses. I dont know if its a security issue when I turn my key on the security light is on but so is every other light I believe. I tried just for the hel* of it to turn the key on for ten minutes until it goes out but after 15 minutes the security light never went off. This already has one mechanic dumbfounded. Like I said I have all the parts off the identical motor that I could switch out but im not sure what to switch at this point. Im also curious if anyone has switched the computer out and knows if i need to reboot the computer somehow or something. (im hopeing I didnt make a mistake when I switched the computers. I put the original one back in it and moved on to replace the ignition switch and other stuff. Hopefully I didnt solve the problem already and the reason its not starting now is because the computer needs to be rebooted. Any help will be appreciated. My email is texazfan07@yahoo.com Thanks
  • ccarelccarel Member Posts: 7
    My 2003 Alero did the same thing...it died when I was driving it. Before that happened my security light was coming on intermittenly, but I didn't worry. I was warned that at some point and time it could just die or I would be somewhere and it wouldn't start. Well that day finally came...called the local Gm dealer and had to have it towed. The tow truck driver tried to start it twice with no luck, got to the dealer...it started just fine 4-5 times for them. They told me to come pick it up that they ran for codes and came up clean. I told him to check it again, there was obviously something wrong...sure enough when they went out to start it to pull it in again...DEAD! Turns out it needed a new ignition switch along with all other necessities that go with it to the tune of $3200.00. I have had nothing but troubles with this car and it only has 62,000 miles on it. I've spent over $7000.00 on this thing and it's definately a money pit!!
    "Turns out it needed a new ignition switch along with all other necessities that go with it to the tune of $3200.00" What were these other necessities, and how could they ever come up to that much money for something with 62K miles?
    You know...I'm a single woman, took had it towed to a GM dealer and when they finally called to tell me that something was wrong, they also found other stuff...but for the key/starting issue, I had to replace absolutely everything as well as the keys and have the fob reprogrammed. Let me tell you, at first they gave me a quote for around $5000.00 to replace that problem as well as intake gasket (Whatever goes with that) really I can't remember what all was involved in their quote, all I do know is that when I picked up the car I wrote a check for $3218.64. I think that I wrote in the last reply that I have spent over $7000.00 on this car in a year and a half. I have an ongoing problem with the ABS light/ No trac/ Service vehicle soon coming on as well as brake issues. I have replaced 1 Wheel assembly twice in 1 week and replaced 2 others plus the brake switch last week and still having problems. The code is telling mechanic that the ABS is open (I think that is what he said) It is showing that the left front on is pulling the code. That is the one that has been replaced twice! It scares me when I go to stop because if the lights don't come on when I first start driving, when I am driving and I step on the brakes, it's almost like the ABS is trying to kick in and I am sliding on ice (Vibration in peddal and noise). I am at my wits end. I cannot affoard to keep this car with trial and error trying to fix the brake or ABS issue (Which ever it is) when nothing is working. I bought the car for $4500.00 in December of 2007 granted it's paid off, but with as much as I have put into it, I can't afford to sell it. Plus I look at it this way...almost everything is new parts wise. lol (Gotta find humor I guess)
    Anyone have any suggestions, I would gladly appreciate it!
  • ticoffaleroticoffalero Member Posts: 3
    I'm been reading the forums and I notice that alot of people are having problem with the ignition switch instead of buying a new assembly or taking to the local dealer to get it replace take out the whole assembly and undo the plastic keepers on the back of the key cylinder and you will find 5 reed switches and more then likely they have hot spots where they make contact very carefully take them out and get a burnishing file from your local electronic store and clean the contactsput it back together and you will find out that your car will start, blinkers will work etc. so for a few dollars and some time and effort you can save your self 3 or 5 hundred dollars on labor an 159.00 dollars for the switch.
    I assume it's a V6 engine since you said you had to get the intake manifold gasket replaced. To bad, because GM had to reimburse many that had to make that repair:

see http://www.girardgibbs.com/dexcool.html

I'm pretty sure you were covered but it's too late to apply for the re-imbursement now.
    Otherwise, it sounds like you need to go to a different repair shop - one that can actually diagnose your ABS problem and repair it without just changing parts. Or at least one that won't charge you for parts they replaced that won't fix your problem.
    Hey thanks for the info! I looked at the website, too bad min didn't get repaired until February of this year! I think I am at a stand still with the ABS situation. This is the 2nd repair shop it has been to for the problem and the mechanic now knows my car pretty intimately! Isn't that pretty sad! I say the thing is possessed and he now believes me. I know that there have been others with this problem and am just waiting for a reply from them to see if they have found a fix. There comment was from Feb or March so hopefully they will get notice of my reply to them and respond back. If not...any others on here that might know a sollution, feel free to suggest something.
    Thanks!
  • trevormcharetrevormchare Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Alero has stopped working. It would turn over, but wouldn't start. So I checked my fuses and then noticed that it had the security light flashing. I went through the reset process and it finally started... But then about 1 or 2 seconds later the car shut down and I could hear a click, as if some electrical relay or switch flipped up and to the left of the drivers seat. I tried starting it again and now we're back to turning over but not starting. So I hit the reset button in the driver's side fuse box and tried to start again. It started again, I was able to rev the engine, and then the click and the car died again. I can replicate this situation over and over again. Any ideas on what this could be? A relay? Something else in the fuse box?
    trevormchare,

When my Alero was doing that same sort of thing, I was warned that sooner or later I was going to have bigger problems. Well...I did! I wound up having it towed to a GM Dealer who tried starting the car, it would in fact start, but when they tried it again and went to put it in gear, it died. Diag showed that it was the security system and I had to replace the ignition switch and then reprogram keys and vehicle. It was costly, but it did fix the problem. Most mechanics that I have talked to said that I souldn't have had to replace the whole assembly, but in fact I had to to fix the problem. I hope this helps although it is unfortunate that it's not a cheap repair.
    My 03 Alero only has around 64,000 miles on it. Bought it for $4500.00 and to date have probably spent close to $6000.00 on the darn thing! I got to the point where I mine as well keep fixing it with what I already had into it, so I kept going. I could have bought a brand new car by now and I have only owned it for 1.5 years. Good Luck!
  • rbfromabilenerbfromabilene Member Posts: 3
    My Alero in April 2008, would not start. Had it towed, replaced fuel pump, filter, and a tune up. Still would not start. My mechanic, not the dealer type, checked on the internet and found that the vehicle losses it codes, which shuts everything down, making one think that it is fuel related. He reset the codes and it worked fine, until April 2009, when it did it again. Then just a few days ago, about June 15, it happened again. My daughter was to leave the instructions in the glove compartment for me, but failed to do so. I had her to come by the house and reprogram the codes. When I get them, I will post them on here for everyone else. It takes about 30 minutes, turning the key on and off, several times with a stop-watch. So the ones that have been to the dealers and replaced major parts, just got "taken"! That's one reason that us Texans, keep good mechanic-friends on hand for such emergencies.
    ABILENE, TEXAS
  • 01alero01alero Member Posts: 1
    Well, I dont know what codes can be reprogrammed but I do know a quick fix to the security system problems. All you have to do is put a resistor in line on the passlok wiring harness. Search for passlok disconnect and you will find that many people are doing this. It is unfortunate that all of you aare having such problems. I drive my wifes old 01 Alero with the 2.4l engine. She got it when she was 17 with 20000 miles. It now has 184000 and all I have done is normal wear and maintenance (oil, fluid changes, wheel bearings, brakes, air filter) The struts are pretty bad but I am holding off on changing them. I would recommend doing the passlok bypass. It saved me a lot of starting issues. (constantly waiting 10 minutes to reset security) Hope this was helpful!
  • mrsnaemrsnae Member Posts: 1
    My husband has a 02 Alero and we have been dealing with the security issue for about a year. If it won't start and the security light is on, we just turn the key on, but don't start it and wait 10 minutes. Then is starts right up. That is still working, however he is now dealing with his alero dying while he is driving it. He will be going down the highway and his car will just die. He will pull over and wait 10 minutes and then it will start right up. I read what you wrote about putting the resistor on the passlok wiring harness. Can you explain that a little better for a woman? Thanks for any info.
    Stalling while running isn't a symptom caused by passlock typically. Once the engine is started and running a problem in the security (passlock) system is indicated by the security light coming on solid, not by shutting it down. It's quite possible that it's a different problem, like a failing fuel pump, which could very well cause the problem you describe, but there's a multitude of other possibilities.
    Installing the resistor in the harness only bypasses one component of passlock, the hall-effect (magnetic) sensor in the ignition switch, which is the culprit in probably 90-95% of the problems with passlock, and since you say the ten minute wait with ignition on clears your no start problem, it's very likely that's the case with yours also.
  • ja33ja33 Member Posts: 23
    At 36,000 miles my 2001 Olds Alero started having passlock starting problems. At first it was every other month and then after 2 years it happened with every other turn of the key. Since I am not the least bit mechanically inclined, I tried any and all procedures suggested on the internet except cutting wires, or installing a new switch. Eight months ago I decided to clean the grooves on my ignition key with a squirt of 3 in 1 oil. THE CAR STARTED RIGHT UP. I did it again for the next 3 days to gain little confidence in the procedure. THE ALERO CONTINUES TO START EVERY TIME

Now once a month I oil the key, push it in and out of the switch slowly a couple times. When starting the car, do not jam the key in quickly and turn. Take your time. It seems to be a very sensitive switch, and needs a little TLC to prevent dirt build up. Try it. A little 3 in 1 oil squirt might save you a $500 repair bill. I told my GM dealer mechanic about this solution. He said "Yeah, it might work"
    see my message #187 ..............Jay
    see my message #187. No codes. Just oil. Maybe from Texas......J
    Well, I'm not one to argue with success, but I can't see how putting oil in the key grooves would have any effect, since the key goes into the lock cylinder and the hall effect sensor is on the ignition switch, top right side if I remember right. That part about taking your time and turning the switch carefully though, I can see how that could make a difference, especially if the ignition switch is worn.
    I'm no mechanic, but I know the grooves in my ignition key were dirty. The Alero mileage is now 49,500 and no problems starting these last 8 months.
  • tripower1tripower1 Member Posts: 25
    Have you fixed your problem yet? and if you did what was the problem
    email me at kisertl@yahoo.com

Thanks
  • ticoffaleroticoffalero Member Posts: 3
    OK what have you done and what are the symptoms of the problem because my problem was the ignition and what I did was i open the back part of the assembly and I file clean the contacts they control the fire your ignition blinkers and alarm system thats shouts down your fuel injectors keeping your car from starting. And my other problem was my fuel regulator that is on the end of the fuel injector assembly was sucking air and kept my injectors from getting fuel. ;)
  • passedpawn22passedpawn22 Member Posts: 5
    Hello,

I have a 2003 Alero 3.4 V6, bought with 40,000 miles on it, now has 115,000. I love the car but for the past 15,000 miles I've been having a periodic Electrical hesitation when I start the vehicle. I'll turn the key, the engine starts but non of the electrical equipment goes on, such as the odometer, spedometer, a/c, radio, power windows, gas gauge...nothing, yet the engine is on and you can actually drive the car, only non of the gauges will work. Sometimes it hesitates for maybe 15 seconds, other times it will take at least 2-3 minutes before the gauges and electrical will turn on. I have learned that if the car starts and the electrical doesn't, I hit the top of the dashboard with my fist and everything will kick on! (fonzie style!) This problem does not happen all the time, maybe every 1 in 6 starts.

Any ideas? Could there be something loose or a bad fuse? It never seems to happen when I take it to the shop and it doesn't follow a pattern. Also, my rear defroster isn't working, and my wipers only on high, perhaps related?
    Sounds like a worn ignition switch to me. The defroster and wipers are probably separate problems though.
    Check the grid for the defroster in the back window, if there's any breaks in it, or the wires are not connected on both sides, it won't work. If you can, pull the wires off on both sides and check for continuity across the grid with an ohmmeter. Also, check for a blown fuse in the circuit. If the fuse is good and grid isn't broken then it could be the control switch itself.
    The wipers, since they work on high, could either be the wiper motor itself or the combination control switch (also known as a multifunction switch).
  • carmonkey88carmonkey88 Member Posts: 2
    I had the opposite problem with my Alero. I would turn the car off and the engine would cut off but gauges would not. I replace the electrical portion of the ignition switch. Problem solved. Takes about an hour and half to change out and can be done with regulars hand tools..
  • passedpawn22passedpawn22 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you both for replying! Sounds like it may be a bit over my head to do myself, I know nothing about fixing cars...replacing an air filter is about my extent. I would try to tackle the project, but I was just reading that to replace an ignition switch you may need to shut down the anti-theft and air bag system. Don't know if I want to go that deep, so I may have a professional do it. However, I could buy the part and have my shop put it in. Any recommendations for buying GM parts online?
  • joe5690joe5690 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 2000 Alero for a little over a year, and up until now it has run relatively fine. I did have to change the ignition cylinder, but i didn't start having issues with it until recently. When i go to start the car, i turn the key to the start position and nothing happens. The lights, radio, and all electronics work fine. The engine doesn't make any noise. It doesn't even try to turn over. The only noise is the sound of the fuel pump and it quits after about 4 seconds. My mechanic thought it might have been the neutral safety switch so I had that replaced, but that obviously wasn't what was causing the problem. I know it isn't the security issue because I have tried that every time it hasn't started and it hasn't worked yet. It seems to do it most often after it has been driven for more than ten minutes although it has done it twice when it has just been sitting there for 5+ hours. With the exception of those two incidents it has started just fine every other time I had let it sit there for a few hours. The hardest part is I can't seem to consistently duplicate the problem. It is annoying having to cross my fingers and hope for the best. Any help you can give me would be amazing. You will become my own personal hero if it works.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • bigfine85bigfine85 Member Posts: 1
    i have the same car with the same amount of miles and it is doing the same thing. Did u find the problem?
  • janeo22janeo22 Member Posts: 18
    Joe,
    If you're having the security issue, you'll know because your security sign on your dash will not only be lit up, but it will be blinking. I have a 2003 Alero, with only 79,000 miles, and it does this about once every two or three months. Here's my fix (this has been working for over a year, and I found the answer on this forum). 1st - Take your key off the ring so it is in the ignition alone. 2nd - Turn the key to the 1st position (ACC) and let it sit there for 20-25 mintues. When you come back to the car, check: the security light will no longer be blinking. 3rd - When you go to turn the key, turn it right away all the way, (do not take the key out and start over). It works for me every time. If I'm not explaining this well, you can find another explanation in a forum that was posted on here about a year and a half ago. I hope this helps you. (A tip - each time you go to start the car, be sure to pause at that ACC (the first click) and let the battery get good and juiced up. It is usually when I'm in a hurry and forget to pause there, that I have the starting issue. I can't wait until my car is paid off, so I can drive something else. This is so frustrating! Anyway, good luck!
    Joe....Take a look at my post #187 regarding Alero passlock starting problem. Use a little drop of 3 in1 oil on your ignition key. Do it several times, inserting the key in and out of the ignition switch, turn switch slowly. It is now 9 months and it starts every time. After a while you only oil the key once a month. (Maybe I'm superstitious) It sure beats a $500 service bill for new switch. Again I am not mechanically inclined and only know it works..........Ja
  • joe5690joe5690 Member Posts: 2
    I went to the auto parts store and they told me not to use oil on an ignition as it can cause dirt build up and actually make it worse. Instead they gave me graphite lubricant which is made specifically for locks. Unfortunately that was unsuccessful. Thank you for trying though
  • ceselliceselli Member Posts: 11
    Hey ~
    I too have the same blinking light 'Alero Game' problem ...I have spent 3000.0 on this B S I have read so many owners complaining about this I too was told nothing was wrong I have been communicazting with a few other owners and a class action suit is started.
    GM is WRONG ! :mad: