Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,784
    "As listed in my post number 255 I did not even know I had this major problem until the dealer called to tell me and he had already contacted Honda for a full no cost repair with a new one year AC warranty on a four year old 66,000 mile CRV."

Your post confirms my statement - your dealer called Honda and got the courtesy fix. This means they knew your vehicle.

Had you been bringing your car in to the dealer for servicing?
  • sgpsgp Posts: 13
    I had taken 2002 CR-V to the dealer for all maintenance except for the oil changes which I had done at Jiffy Lube. They knew my vehicle, but still did not stand up for my when the AC went out at 61,000 miles.

I would have gladly taken my vehicle to the dealer for oil changes too but it is too inconvenient. I can't take time off work everytime my vehicle needs an oil change.

I traded in the 02 CR-V after the AC failure for an 06 CR-V and bought the extended warranty, so I hopefully won't be at Honda's mercy if something like this happens again. I looked at other vehicles before purchasing the new CR-V but I couldn't find anything I liked better in the same price range.

Even though I bought a new Honda I have still lost faith in Honda quality.
  • Just bought my '03 CRV at the end of October with 54000. It now has 63000. My compressor blew on Sunday while idling at a drive-thru. AC was not on. It appears to be completely shot.

Took my CRV to my local dealer this morning. They confirmed it is a blown AC compressor. Basically a total replacement of clutch, compressor, and I assume the dryer and/or accumulator, hoses, and new serpentine belt. Total bill $1350. The service mgr informed me he would contact the SouthEast Service Rep to discuss the case with her. He said he's seen them cover this sometimes and sometimes not. I'm not sure really what it depends on. He said that since I had not bought it at a Honda dealer and that it was my first Honda they might not do anything. I call BS on that one cause I've read way too much on here and on HondaSUV.com website regarding this issue where people were new Honda customers, bought their vehicle at Toyota dealerships, have no service records, etc. and get 100% coverage. The service mgr told me he might not have an answer for a couple of days, but he'd let me know what she says. From reading on the web it looks like it really depends on the dealership, and possibly the mood the local rep is in when they get the call as to how to proceed with coverage. So do I need to wait and see, or go ahead and call Honda USA and open my own case? Once I hear back - if they deny coverage - what do I do next - get my case # and proceed from there with letters and/or faxes? Looking for advice.

I know this is my FIRST Honda, bought on the advice of MANY close friends and relatives that swear by their reliability and durability. I have always expected to have major systems failures on my GM vehicles, and that is why I went Honda this time. I was looking for a vehicle I could depend on without pumping $1000s of into it each year. And for the 100s of posts I've read on the web regarding this problem it seems to definitely be a widespread issue. It also seems to have been handled many many diffferent ways with hardly any consistency. Hoping for a good outcome.
    Edit/Delete Message
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Polite or not Polite....This should be handled properly across the board, not a case by case basis, I am a honda customer just like everyone else. This being my third vehicle. I was even polite (though I was frustrated when I took the day off of work to have the car fixed, drove an hour there and they did not have the parts!) The problem here is INCONSISTANCY and NoOnE feels comfortable about that, when choosing a make for their next vehicle.

I hate to break it to you, but every 2nd grader knows that Life is not Fair. I guess, some people learn that later in life than others.
  • Still haven't heard back from local dealer, and like he said it might take 2 or 3 days to hear something back. I have however opened my own case with Honda USA directly. So I guess I'll be in the queue there as well. Still hoping for some assistance. One thing is for sure is I hope it doesn't take too long because it is failed and seized to the point that my vehicle is totally disabled. I'm without transportation and hitching rides to work with coworkers until I get it repaired.
  • tdaletdale Posts: 2
    Add me to the list, bought a new CR-V (Has a J Vin) on Jan 2003, the A/C went dead at 13000 miles, since it was in warranty, the dealership replaced it. Couple of weeks back started to get a spooky squeak, which turned into a rattling with the A/C dying out today. Went to the local shop - they indicated that the compressor probably had given way. Found this post, called the dealership - who asked me to check with American Honda, as I didn't have an extended warranty. Will call Honda on Monday (as they are closed on the weekend). Any tips... thanks - Tim
  • tdaletdale Posts: 2
    Spoke with American Honda - had the most pleasant customer experience - they had the dealer replace the compressor. My loyalty stays with Honda. A big thanks to all of you how sent me a mail. :D
  • I noticed a little bit of rattling noise with the A/C on in my 2003 CR-V EX w/ 52k. It was at Hall Honda in Virginia Beach for an unrelated minor repair, and the tech listened to it and suspects the compressor. It's going back in two days for a $95 diagnosis. I made an initial call to American Honda, they said continue with the diagnosis. Hopefully, they'll cover it; so far this thread has been encouraging.

I've been a pretty loyal Honda/Acura fan, and have convinced others of their merits, effectively "selling" an additional two TSX's and two CR-V's. I wonder if American Honda considers Acura loyalty just as good?
  • This could be very bad news. When the AC compressor goes bad it is very possible that the whole AC system is contaminated with metal particles, in which case you will have to have the whole AC system replaced. If not it will blow up a new compressor.The dealer should have known this.
  • motojoemotojoe Posts: 1
    Grainger Honda in Savannah Georgia quoted a price of $3350.00 to replace all the components of the AC system following a compressor failure. I bought the car from this dealership and paid for the Honda name, which I thought, included some reliability. Very disappointed. After the 98 bucks to check it out I have taken the car home and I will live with the AC inop, until I get all the parts and tools to fix it myself. 3350 can buy a lot of nice parts and tools.
    Grainger Honda in Savannah Georgia quoted a price of $3350.00 to replace all the components of the AC system following a compressor failure. I bought the car from this dealership and paid for the Honda name, which I thought, included some reliability. Very disappointed. After the 98 bucks to check it out I have taken the car home and I will live with the AC inop, until I get all the parts and tools to fix it myself. 3350 can buy a lot of nice parts and tools.

82,000 miles is decent mileage. Have you called Honda corporate (number is in the OWNER's MANUAL), just like many in this thread have done? When you call them, state what you have stated here, and see where it gets you.
  • wlttxwlttx Posts: 3
    Is anyone here in the greater Houston area? I would like to know who, if any, of the Honda dealerships in the area would be best for working with me and Honda on this. I have started calling some, just fishing around in general to see if they have heard of/done any of these and trying to assess their attitudes and/or rapport with me and HondaUSA and a potential for successful reimbursement. I can't afford the dealer estimate that Honda wants to start the process (I was diagnosed while having service at my "regular guy"/independent-bought my CRV at a dealer, have gotten some of my service there initially, but not lately, and not exclusively) but if that's what I have to do, then that's what I have to do.
    Thanks in advance for any leads/advice.
  • ark11ark11 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 CR-V with about 63,000 miles on it. I was driving down the highway and heard some engine rattling noises and then heard something drop out of the engine. It still ran okay, but the AC no longer worked. I took it to a local mechanic to get the e-brake tightened, and asked him to check out the AC while he had it. He said the shaft broke off the compressor and it would cost $1,265 to have it replaced. He recommended I call Honda and see if they could help me out with the cost, since this shouldn't happen after only 63,000 miles.
    I called American Honda Motor Corp. and explained what happened. They asked me if there was a local dealer I take it to, because they have to work through a Honda dealer. They said they'd review my case and give me a call back.
    Two days later I got a call back, and they told me to bring it in to the dealer (which they'd already contacted), and that unless this was something they haven't seen before, they'd most likely take care of it.
    I brought it in on Wednesday morning, and picked it up on Thursday morning with a new AC compressor and everything. No charge at all. They took care of all parts and labor.
    The funny thing is, I never even asked them to pay for it...I just explained the situation and they said they'd see what they could do for me.
    I can't afford the dealer estimate that Honda wants to start the process

Honda evaluation should not cost more than 1 hour of labor, whatever the dealer's labor rate is in your area. In most cases it is $80, hardly 3 fill ups for a CR-V.
  • mikee3mikee3 Posts: 4
    Just had a call from my son saying the AC no longer works. Same sounds as the 1st time the AC compressor went south. Honda picked up the parts and I paid labor. My 03 CRV had 80000 miles on it when the AC went out the first time. Now it has 130K. Called the dealer and going in tomorrow then opening a case with Honda. What a crappy part!!!!! Don't get me going on the 2006 Accord brake noise and rattles they can't fix :-( I think these maybe my last Honda's!!
  • tmur09tmur09 Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 CRV, heard a terrible noise A/C no longer blowing out cold air. 70,000 miles no ext warranty :(
    Thanks to this forum I called Honda & opened a case, took my car to dealer & they didn't seem to care I opened a case, diagnostic for repair complete A/C system 3200.00 (metal fragments in the line) I called dealer service mgr next day & explained I opened a case & he offered to make some calls for me..within hours called back saying Honda would pick up 75% of my repairs & maybe more still working on it..Also received call from Honda case mgr next day. Can't tell you how happy I am! I may be paying 800 or so but still beats the 3200 or not having A/C in Calif in the summer. I approched everyone politely & received the same treatment back. Will stay loyal to Honda.
  • semilosemilo Posts: 1
    I wanted to thank this board. Our 2004 CRV experienced this same problem of a AC compressor failure. The quote for repairing it was $3000 as we out of 3 year warranty by 1 month (and we over 30,000 mileage). Because we had brought our car into the Coggin Honda Dealer in Jacksonville for all oil changes and regular service, the dealer talked to Honda and received a 50% credit. I then did research when I got home and found this board. I opened a case with Honda America under the Good Will Warranty program. I then provided this case # to Coggin Honda as well as a link to this board to show them all the problems with this part. Coggin Honda later called me back and said they would provide 100% credit for the AC repair - which saves us $3000.
  • OMG...I can't believe this. I need some help. My 2003 Honda CRV (with around 82K miles on it)has an issue with the AC as well. I thought it just needed re-charged, but it was the compressor. I took it to a local mechanic because I knew I couldn't afford Honda to do it. The Mechanic found an After Market unit (Refurbished). This has now been a long process with the mechanic I'm dealing with, but skipping the issues, here is what's going on. As I've read on the forum, this is my problem as well. When the compressor locked up, it sent metal shavings through the system, so the mechanic is cleaning out all the hoses, replacing the compressor with the refurb unit and replaced the compressor. Yesterday, I found out from a friend that he had a friend that this happened to, so it sparked me to GOOGLE the problem. I'm now seeing where folks have had good luck calling Honda and talking to them. I feel like an idiot now for taking it to a local mechanic. Because I've had this work done by a Local mechanic (and not a local authorized dealer), do I have any recourse to go back to Honda to see if they will pay for some or all of the work I have had done? Or, because I went with a local mechanic, I'm I basically screwed and this is an EXPENSIVE lesson learned that I take my car back to Honda for work from now on?
  • crvme3crvme3 Posts: 140
    tonybradley,
    Contact Honda & open a case file, explain your situation, inform them that you are aware of CRV compressor issues. Get all your paperwork in order & get "your ducks in a row" they will most likely ask you to fax your repair information to them for "review"... Be courteous & polite but to the point. You may just find that you are eligable for a complete or partial refund under factory "goodwill". Good luck to you!
  • Thanks!!! I'd be happy with a partial refund. OR, I'd be happy with NO refund for the work I just had done, if they'd be willing to take the CRV into an authorized dealer and have THEM put in the new system (the one that has been fixed). I'm afraid the Refurb unit I'm having put in will just go out again within a year.

Would you happen to have the number for me to call for Honda to at least get started? I don't have my manual with me and would like to call Honda, but would like to call the correct number.

Thanks again.
  • crvme3crvme3 Posts: 140
    American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
    (Honda Automobile Customer Service)
    1919 Torrance Boulevard
    Torrance CA. 90501-2746
    1-800-999-1009

They can direct you to the correct Dept. from here
  • grif2grif2 Posts: 2
    Just found this forum. I have an '05 CRV and the AC makes a kind of whistle sound when I park the car after running the AC. Is this a precursor to a compressor problem? I would really like to avoid being without AC when the temps hit the 100's. Thanks for any input.
    Just found this forum. I have an '05 CRV and the AC makes a kind of whistle sound when I park the car after running the AC. Is this a precursor to a compressor problem? I would really like to avoid being without AC when the temps hit the 100's. Thanks for any input.

Are you sure it is not the belt?
  • grif2grif2 Posts: 2
    I'm fairly certain it's not the belt. The first summer after we purchased the car while running the AC in very hot temps. 100's (I'm in Texas) it made a popping sound and since then it whistles after it has run for a time. I took it to the dealer and they told me it was eqalizing the pressure inside after being turned off. They of course didn't mention any problems they were having with the compressors and assured me it was normal. Any one else with this? or Any ideas? Thanks
  • sued1sued1 Posts: 1
    I have been reading the posts here since I had a problem with my A/C. I went to the dealer and they quoted me $2010.00 for the repair. They advised me I had impact damage. I inquired what type of impact and the desk person said "maybe a rock". It turns out that someone backed into my vehicle while it was parked. My insurance is going to take care of it. To my amazement, I went to the dealership body shop for an estimate and they can replace my A/C condenser and eharge the system etc.. for less than $600. How can it be that the dealership charges 2K+. I questioned the estimator if the work can be done for that amount and he said yes!! I then told him the service dept. quoted me $2K+ and he gave me a strange look and said they probably quoted me a $500 compressor and their labor rates are double. Still there should not be that much of a decrepancy!! So if your A/C is gone and Honda won't repair it, put your foot through it and see the body shop. Just don't report it your insurance company. I cannot condone insurance fraud!!! Thanks and hope this helps!!
    I have been reading the posts here since I had a problem with my A/C. I went to the dealer and they quoted me $2010.00 for the repair. They advised me I had impact damage. I inquired what type of impact and the desk person said "maybe a rock". It turns out that someone backed into my vehicle while it was parked. My insurance is going to take care of it. To my amazement, I went to the dealership body shop for an estimate and they can replace my A/C condenser and eharge the system etc.. for less than $600. How can it be that the dealership charges 2K+. I questioned the estimator if the work can be done for that amount and he said yes!! I then told him the service dept. quoted me $2K+ and he gave me a strange look and said they probably quoted me a $500 compressor and their labor rates are double. Still there should not be that much of a decrepancy!! So if your A/C is gone and Honda won't repair it, put your foot through it and see the body shop. Just don't report it your insurance company. I cannot condone insurance fraud!!! Thanks and hope this helps!!

Honda probably quoted you the whole system replacement price, which includes the condenser, evaporator, dryer, hoses and tubing. The body shop is probably just replacing the condenser.
  • vivianzvivianz Posts: 10
    I started this forum (#1), and I had independent shop do the work, and it was about $500, with a non-Honda useless warranty. But the shop was great and willing to work with me, and I think they only replaced the condenser and not the whole system. My AC is still working just fine, 1 year later, in south Louisiana, where I know we run the A/C a whole lot more than the heater. Also, anytime the defrost is used, the condenser kicks in. So I am not so sure everything needed replacing as Honda seems to think. And if it does, then there is a more serious problem and they should be fixing it for free, as it is a larger system that's involved, or the part itself is defective and causing more problems.
  • mtaymtay Posts: 1
    Last weekend my CRV's A/C stopped working, no cold air. I took it to the dealer they said the compressor seized up and in turn broke the rod. I was quoted $1,700+ for the repair. I contacted Honda America and they opened a case for possible partial or entire coverage of the repair, since I was out of warranty. They told me it would be 24-48 hrs for a decision. I then called my dealership back to tell them to hold off on repairs until I had an aswer back from Honda. 10 min later the dealership service dept called me back and said that they had spoken to their service manager and that they would do the repair at not cost to me. Made my day!!!
  • brsextonbrsexton Posts: 1
    Please take it in to the dealer and have it replaced if your under warranty. My 05 with only 17k miles just had the ac compressor and various other parts replaced due to the same noise. The AC was still working great, but just made strage noises like popping/squealing. Took it in for a simple check on the noise, came out with an entire new AC system. My dealership did not want to take any chances since there is such of a huge issue with these.
  • jaszjasz Posts: 1
    Had a problem with my 04 CRV A/C compressor, checked it out on the web and found this discussion, followed the advice of crvme3 and called am honda co. explained my situation, was given a case number and contact. I'm in So. Carolina so can't be w/out a/c so took my car to honda dealer and told them to repair it, hoping to get reimbursed by honda later. Went out of town and before I could get back to pick up my car got a call from Honda America and they said they had contacted my dealership and would take care of all repairs($1500+). My car is out of warranty (42,000 miles). I think the ducks in a row and being polite advice were v. helpful. Honda was friendly and professional and I am now a very satisfied Honda owner