Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• jaxfljaxfl Posts: 2
    This site has been invaluable to us. The airconditioning in our CRV '02 model with 47,000 miles stopped working just last week. With the information from postings here I was able to approach our local dealer (in NE FL) with some facts to back up our belief that a reputable manufacturer should be able to produce a component to last a lot longer than it did! I heard today that the whole system is going to be replaced at no charge to us, and the '2nd generation' compressor is going in, not the earlier type. The dealer's representative told me that it's being done under a 'goodwill warranty', after discussion with the Honda area rep. Thanks to all who posted information.
  • drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    Let's keep a count then. You are one. Everyone else chime in.

It's a car. Things go wrong. Seems like Honda is doing the right thing for people. Not sure what else people want (but I'm sure they'll let me know).
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,785
    So far, two replies, both Japanese build.
  • wrbyrnewrbyrne Posts: 2
    My CRV which had a A/C failure had a final assembly in Swindon, Wiltshire, England,but the engine was assembled in Japan
  • jaxfljaxfl Posts: 2
    Seems our CR-V could be from Japan: VIN beginning with J. (Honda are replacing the complete airconditioning system gratis under a 'goodwill warranty'.)
  • boognutboognut Posts: 1
    I hava a 01' CRV .The vehicle has 45,500 miles on it and we haven't had any issues,we bought the vehicle secondhand with 16,000 miles in very good condition.My wife came home and stated the air conditioner was not working.When I went out to see what might be the problem I heard a metallic/grinding noise so I removed the lower skid plate and found the compressor housing was cracked.There was also a laminated steel sleeve moving freely about inside the housing.I can replace the compressor myself for about $400.00 using a new unit.My fear is that metal shavings can plainly be seen in the area of the crack and I'm afraid they "may" have contaiminated the balance of the system evaporator/condenser etc.I believe this to be a mechanical failure as odd that may sound (you would not think a compressor could implode) because I see no evidence of an object hitting the area,and my wife recalls not such incident and no she is not a drinker LOL.So,I will run the situation by a reputable mechanic I know and then contact a our local Honda dealer to see about goodwill warranty and such.Any thuoghts appreciated..Thank you
  • vivianzvivianz Posts: 10
    That is exactly what my dealer said about my AC. They stated they have had this problem before, and there would be mtal shavings in all the parts, therefore they had to replace not only the compressor, but the condensor and the hoses, thus the $2700 price tag.
  • inkieinkie Posts: 281
    Honda dealer in Emmaus. PA said my compressor and clutch was gone and when they notified Honda corporate they authorized the repair at no charge. So it seems Honda is aware of the problem and is backing its product.
  • Knock on wood - mine is still running at 33,000 miles. '02 EX model was built in Englind. VIN beginning with SHRS.
  • amcanoeamcanoe Posts: 9
    My 2001 CRV had AC compressor fail as a result of a stress crack that caused the output shaft to shear off causing the clutch assembly to come off. Honda America denies any such problem with this year model. Anyone else having this problem on a 2001 model? No goodwill warranty from the dealer either.
  • amcanoeamcanoe Posts: 9
    I have had to replace my transmission and AC system w/out any "right thing" from Honda.
  • jwc1919jwc1919 Posts: 1
    Well, add one more to the list.

2004 CRV, 52,000 miles, air conditioner started blowing hot air yesterday. Dealer said $2100 total (to replace most everything including the compressor, which was bad)

After seeing my maintenance records they offered to do the work for $1000.00

I called American Honda Customer Service (800) 999-1009 and they assigned a case worker who will contact me within 1-3 days to see if they can help with the bill.

stevedebi, my vin started with a "J"

I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • We have an '01 CRV with the same problem. The compressor practically exploded on the way home from work the other day. I called the local dealer here in TX, and they said the problem is not common on the '01. He did agree to call Honda on our behalf and try to get it covered when we bring it in. Not sure that means anything, but we will see. There is absolutely no reason the compressor should blow out with only 50K miles.

If there are any other '01 owners out there with the same problem, please post it. The more cases there are the better case we can make to Honda.
  • vivianzvivianz Posts: 10
    My vin begins with a T. Not Japan.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    I have had to replace my transmission and AC system w/out any "right thing" from Honda.

Did you ask Honda Corporate? Or just the dealer?

It is not in dealer's interst for Honda Corporate to do the right thing because then they get paid less.
    My vin begins with a T. Not Japan.

And what country are you located in? The CR-V's in US and Canada only come from two sources, Japan (J) or UK (S).
  • drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    You have an '01 CR-V. Seems like if there is a real problem other than a part malfunctioning it has been mostly with the 2G CR-V.

Curious as to when exactly you feel an automaker's liability ends for a part that has failed? five years, six years, never??

Does your business routinely replace things that go wrong after six years for free?
  • crvridercrvrider Posts: 3
    Add another to the list of CRV owners with a blown AC compressor.

My CR-V is a 2003 with 45,000 miles... Bought less than a year ago used as a Certified vehicle with 29,000 miles.

I also have a 1999 CR-V with over 150,000 miles, which has been excellent. I've only had to replace front struts and the normal maintanance.... it's been sooo reliable. It's disappointing Honda would fail to fully test the compressor.

I called Honda USA at 800-999-1009 and had them open a case.

Hopefully Honda will make good on such a defective design especially since this is my third vehicle from the.

FYI... my VIN starts with 'SHSR'.

I'll keep everyone posted...
  • snowy3snowy3 Posts: 2
    my 2004 honda crv blew up july 4, 2006- vin starts wth a j.
    called corporate office, said to get an estimate. went to dealer in CA and got a quote for 2,700.00
    1,300 for labor and 1400.00 for parts. no help advice given but they said they can give us a discount for the parts half off. that's still 2,000.00. this is unacceptable for honda. bought it dec 2003 and of course it's out of warranty with 44,000 miles. (36,000 miles or 3 years whichever comes first, oh well). i consider myself a loyal honda customer. this is my 3rd honda car but never had problems with the other 2. totally unacceptable for a honda a/c to blow up.
    called corporate office tues and said that they will contact us within 2 business days. it's friday, have not heard a single word from them.
    by the way, the weather here is a 110 and no a/c.
  • My wife have 03 crv and yesterday the ac air is blowing hot air..i checked it out electronically and i found that the compressor is not working...i took it to the dealer just saying..the ac dont work...and they said that the compressor lock up ..and guess what..they told my that the compressor,condenser and hoses need to be change and its about $1970 the cost for the parts alone...i said thats crazy..and they offer me 1000 dollars for all those parts to be replaced including labor...the car is 3 years old and i have 64,000 miles on it..extended warranty is 60,000miles
    I am still not happy with 1000 dollars...any suggestion please help...never had a car that compressor blow out..
  • scutterscutter Posts: 5
    I have a 2001CRV with 6700 my AC just Blew 4 the 3rd Time Yes 3rd time!
    Honda fixed the first two times on thier dime. I will contact on monday to see what they say. I live in Mesa (phoenix) Arizona. I will check back.
  • Obviously, my problem is universal. Have taken my 2004 CRV into local HONDA dealership multiple trips to evaluate and fix AC. AC will occasionally and without warning stop blowing cold air. Was told by Dealer that they could not fix problem unless it was happening for them. Even when having the AC completely not work, they were unable to determine what was wrong. They added freon. Problem came back.After several visits to Dealer trying to have problem fixed was told I would have to turn problem over to HONDA corporate. AC compressor has not blown yet but after reading so many blogs with problems regarding same issue I am very worried this problem will not go away.
  • i have similar situation...i will call corporate first thing monday...they offer me 1000 dollar to changes compressor,condensing,and hoses
  • Please add this one to the list,
    My wife has a 2002 CRV LX, it has only 48,000 miles, and last week the car started to do a noise, I checked the car and the A/C was not working. I took the car to a mechanic and he told me that the compresor was lock up, he want $1,000 for a refurbished one. After reading some of the postings seems to me that the same problem happened to many people, I will go directly with Honda Corporation to see if they can help me with this issue.
    Meanwhile I will take the car to the dealer for the repair.
    Here in North Carolina is about 95 Degrees, it is brutal to have the kids in the car with no AC.
    JP :sick:
  • My compressor locked up on trip to Florida last week. Dealer in Panama City, FL estimated $1923 to replace. I decided to wait until coming back to Dallas. In the meantime I discovered this forum. I called Honda and opened a ticket to get reimbursement. My dealer in Dallas (John Eagle) just called ans said they will replace the entire A/C on Honda's dime.

Thanks guys you saved me a bundle!

My VIN starts with "J".

My stats 2003 Honda CR-V - 44K miles.

I made sure I told the folks at American Honda this was my 3rd Honda.

The American Honda number I called was 800-999-1009
  • crvridercrvrider Posts: 3
    Well, I had my 2003 Honda CR-V towed to the dealer.

The dealer gave me an estimate of $1885.00 to replace just about everything. The service person stated that any time a compressor locks up you need replace just about everything, including hoses and clutch, etc.

The dealer, located in PA, stated that they would call Honda headquarters tomorrow morning and see if they could do anything for me. I mentioned that I bought the car less than a year ago and that I have a letter stating the non-power train items are covered till 5/2007 or 48,000 miles. I faxed the dealer the warranty letter. My CR-V has 45,000 miles.

This has been a big aggravation, considering my wife was to leave for a vacation with her mother & sister on Wednesday.

I will hopefully hear good news tomorrow. I'll keep everyone points.
  • gasarmigasarmi Posts: 1
    Thanks for your postings. Even though our CRV is a 2000, it only has 48K miles. The dealer quoted 1600 and said no-can-do reg. financial help. Honda Corporate did open the case and authorized the parts. Now I'm waiting for them to get the parts and finish the job. This has taken almost 2 weeks but can't complain. Glad Honda came thru. My entire family has Hondas, this is our 3rd (incl. an Acura).
  • Well people in my earlier post my 2002 CRV with 82k miles had a ac compressor failure, I took it to Pep Boys(local garage chain) and they fixed it for $1200. After reading the posts here i contacted Honda Corp on 7/11/06. They opened a case and took down all my info and i faxed them the repair bill, well today 7/17/06 i received a call from Honda Corp informing me that they were sending my a check for $1200 !!! SWEET! They did not go into any reason why they were covering it, although i suspect it could have been because this was my first Honda( they did ask) and they wanted to keep me as a customer. I wish i would have know about this issue to begin with, i would have taking it to the Dealer.

My VIN # starts with a J

Ken
    2002 CRV with 82k miles had a ac compressor failure, I took it to Pep Boys(local garage chain) and they fixed it for $1200.

Man, $1200 for just compressor replacement is kind of high.

Honda recommends to replace everything due to contamination.

Good on Honda's part to pay for the non-dealer repair.
  • Good News!!!
    I talked to Honda Corp yesterday and they gave me a case #, then I took today the car to the dealer in Raleigh, they repair the whole system including hoses in no time, they also said that normally it would cost $ 3,000, but it cost me only $50, for the diagnostic.
    Thanks to Honda, they really are doing the right thing.

my vin starts with J

I would not hesitate to buy another Honda car (Odissey) next year. ;)
    JP