Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• mobeemobee Posts: 13
    I will not waste any more breath with you Bluey or Drive62. Honda has cost me $2700 (not including other early failures)on something that other manufacturers don't have a problem with.

They have treated me unfairly relative to other customers - without explanation.

Had they handled it fairly and succinctly they might have had a LOYAL customer. But instead, for $2700 (their cost < $1500) they have lost ANY future business from me. That's thousands of dollars per car purchase. Based on my track record that is potentially 10 or more cars in the future.

I think that is idiotic.

Not only that, I will make sure everyone I know who considers a Honda will hear this. Even if I convince 1 person, that is thousands of dollars more.

Then, if I win my lawsuit it will cost them MILLIONS - even if I lose it will cost them thousands or tens of thousands more.

This is a sign of ignorant management and a poorly managed company. good luck with your Hondas.

In twenty years I have owned 6 new vehicles and 3 used. I have never been brought to this point. Nobody expects a problem free vehicle. if that were the case I would have complained about this vehicle a LOOOONG time ago. But this problem and its handling by Honda corporate and the dealer goes far beyond normal problems and shows a clear sign that Honda quality control and customer relations are substandard for a premium car company.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "Then, if I win my lawsuit it will cost them MILLIONS - even if I lose it will cost them thousands or tens of thousands more. "

If you lose, how much will the lawyer cost? The word "lose" might take on a greater meaning. I would advise that you get a lawyer experienced in these kinds of cases, and ask IMMEDIATELY what the chances are that you have a winnable case. My experience with Honda indicates that they are very aware of the laws and regulations, and will not do anything that could be actionable in a court of law. They have very good corporate lawyers.

BTW, Honda is not a premium car company, that would be Acura. Honda builds cars for the masses.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems, and how much they have affected your emotions. Best of luck.
  • whew63whew63 Posts: 19
    I can't help but add that I wish you best of luck and I agree with you entirely-If you've read my earlier posts, I have two children nearing driving age and will not even let them consider a Honda, new or used, because of the way Honda has treated others with this problem-a problem which is occurring perhaps not in every CR-V, but in enough that Honda should take some responsibility for the problem when reported. They've lost four future customers in my immediate family alone and I'm spreading the word every day. I realize that thousands of these vehicles were sold and that many have been reported here, but I am sure just as many or more CR-V owners with the same problem have not even bothered to research this as an ongoing issue with this vehicle. It is a manufacturers defect without a doubt and one that has been reported as reoccurring even after the system is repaired-that is why I unloaded mine. Even if you were to win your case, you may not recover all the money that you may have spent, but hopefully Honda will have to come up with a solution that is fair to everyone and not just a few.
    A recall on the system would be ideal.
    I also agree about not wasting your breath here anymore, but would love to hear what the outcome is. The other member who replied to your post is correct in their reply about the lawyer, but to add the "emotion" comment is childish, unnecessary, ignorant and just plain emotional. Again, best of luck!
  • drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    Honda has cost me $2700 (not including other early failures)on something that other manufacturers don't have a problem with.

Really? No other vehicles have an A/C compressor go bad? More of your ridiculous hyperbole. Just look at the forums here for examples.

...shows a clear sign that Honda quality control and customer relations are substandard for a premium car company.

How should a premium car company handle a similar problem? I'll tell you how one does. A person who wrote to the local automotive column had their A/C compressor on their Volvo (see it does happen to other manufacturers) go out literally minutes after their warranty expired and they got no help for the repair.

You have unreal expectation about how a business operates and how a complicated machine like an automobile functions. Good luck finding the perfect vehicle.
  • geeneegeenee Posts: 15
    It seems to me the problem is not that Honda is not helping fix the problem, but their inconsistency of how they are dealing with it. I don't think it is ok for honda to cover 20 people in full and then tell an other person they won't help them at all, or that they will only cover partial. It has nothing to do with warranty either, I have seen posts that where people are well out of warranty with high mileage and get the repair covered in full, while others only get partial payment. And don't tell me that its because these people were loyal with having service done at the dealer. I took my vechicle to honda for my other repairs, drive belt, brakes, water pump and I still was not covered in full.
    "And don't tell me that its because these people were loyal with having service done at the dealer. "

It's also possible that some people ask better than others. Raising hackles and making demands is not the way to get freebies out of a manufacturer (or anyone).

Also, we do not know if everyone involved had good maintenance records, which is vital when asking for warranty repairs. I will service my Honda only at the dealer until the warranty is done, and after that still keep records.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    I agree with stevedebi, it depends on how person approached them. So far, we have not see any humble approaches from the guy. Accusations, insults, and generally not the behavior you would expect from a mugger. "Give me this and that or else"

The reason I asked him about his education was not to insult him, but to kind of get an idea how he approached Honda. Someone who knows human psychology would know that the best way to get someone to do something for them is not to ask them to do it, but to make them think that they have came up with the idea on their own. When a person is under impression that he/she is doing something that they have "thought of" they will do a much better job of doing it than when you ask them to do it head on.

When I had a power window problem with Civic Si, I called them up, was polite, humble and did not ask head on to give me lifetime warranty, which I knew about from the Si forums. I waited for them to offer it by prodding them with questions and information. I have not once said "I want extended warranty because other people got it"
  • geeneegeenee Posts: 15
    I approached Honda with a polite letter, and was polite to the customer service. When I was told that these issues are case my case basis and I was not going to be covered in full, of course there was frustration, but I was not rude or demanding, I just stated the facts. Mind you, I reported this to Honda (politely) months before writing my letter. I did a search on the internet found small amounts of information about there being a problem, yet Honda denied it when I called. Nor did the dealer even mention that it could be partially covered when it was diagnosed. This was maybe a month before this thread. Polite or not Polite....This should be handled properly across the board, not a case by case basis, I am a honda customer just like everyone else. This being my third vehicle. I was even polite (though I was frustrated when I took the day off of work to have the car fixed, drove an hour there and they did not have the parts!) The problem here is INCONSISTANCY and NoOnE feels comfortable about that, when choosing a make for their next vehicle.
    "Polite or not Polite....This should be handled properly across the board, not a case by case basis, I am a honda customer just like everyone else."

I see you may have missed the point behind my previous post. All Honda customers are not like the others. Honda is evaluating the vehicle (not the owner). For example, the documented maintenance done on the vehicle, and possibly other factors of which we are not aware (it is possible that they have a list of the bad compressors, for example).

As I stated before, I will always use the dealer for all maintenance (except tires) while I have an active warranty. My current Honda has a 7 year, 100K warranty. The main reason I use the dealer is to document the service (plus, their oil change price is very competitive).
  • tjxtjx Posts: 32
    Have to "politely" disagree with your thoughts on Honda evaluating the car and not the owner. As listed in my post number 255 I did not even know I had this major problem until the dealer called to tell me and he had already contacted Honda for a full no cost repair with a new one year AC warranty on a four year old 66,000 mile CRV. All my service work has been done with this dealer (Hall) in Virginia and I had mentioned on each visit that I was planning to purchase the next generation 2007 CRV when it came out. The only down side was that I had to wait three weeks for all the parts on backorder since so many CRV's were having this problem. Still driving my 2002 CRV and hope to purchase a 2008 CRV. Hopefully Honda will spot any problems in the 2007 and correct for the 2008 model.
    "As listed in my post number 255 I did not even know I had this major problem until the dealer called to tell me and he had already contacted Honda for a full no cost repair with a new one year AC warranty on a four year old 66,000 mile CRV."

Your post confirms my statement - your dealer called Honda and got the courtesy fix. This means they knew your vehicle.

Had you been bringing your car in to the dealer for servicing?
  • sgpsgp Posts: 13
    I had taken 2002 CR-V to the dealer for all maintenance except for the oil changes which I had done at Jiffy Lube. They knew my vehicle, but still did not stand up for my when the AC went out at 61,000 miles.

I would have gladly taken my vehicle to the dealer for oil changes too but it is too inconvenient. I can't take time off work everytime my vehicle needs an oil change.

I traded in the 02 CR-V after the AC failure for an 06 CR-V and bought the extended warranty, so I hopefully won't be at Honda's mercy if something like this happens again. I looked at other vehicles before purchasing the new CR-V but I couldn't find anything I liked better in the same price range.

Even though I bought a new Honda I have still lost faith in Honda quality.
  • Just bought my '03 CRV at the end of October with 54000. It now has 63000. My compressor blew on Sunday while idling at a drive-thru. AC was not on. It appears to be completely shot.

Took my CRV to my local dealer this morning. They confirmed it is a blown AC compressor. Basically a total replacement of clutch, compressor, and I assume the dryer and/or accumulator, hoses, and new serpentine belt. Total bill $1350. The service mgr informed me he would contact the SouthEast Service Rep to discuss the case with her. He said he's seen them cover this sometimes and sometimes not. I'm not sure really what it depends on. He said that since I had not bought it at a Honda dealer and that it was my first Honda they might not do anything. I call BS on that one cause I've read way too much on here and on HondaSUV.com website regarding this issue where people were new Honda customers, bought their vehicle at Toyota dealerships, have no service records, etc. and get 100% coverage. The service mgr told me he might not have an answer for a couple of days, but he'd let me know what she says. From reading on the web it looks like it really depends on the dealership, and possibly the mood the local rep is in when they get the call as to how to proceed with coverage. So do I need to wait and see, or go ahead and call Honda USA and open my own case? Once I hear back - if they deny coverage - what do I do next - get my case # and proceed from there with letters and/or faxes? Looking for advice.

I know this is my FIRST Honda, bought on the advice of MANY close friends and relatives that swear by their reliability and durability. I have always expected to have major systems failures on my GM vehicles, and that is why I went Honda this time. I was looking for a vehicle I could depend on without pumping $1000s of into it each year. And for the 100s of posts I've read on the web regarding this problem it seems to definitely be a widespread issue. It also seems to have been handled many many diffferent ways with hardly any consistency. Hoping for a good outcome.
    Edit/Delete Message
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Polite or not Polite....This should be handled properly across the board, not a case by case basis, I am a honda customer just like everyone else. This being my third vehicle. I was even polite (though I was frustrated when I took the day off of work to have the car fixed, drove an hour there and they did not have the parts!) The problem here is INCONSISTANCY and NoOnE feels comfortable about that, when choosing a make for their next vehicle.

I hate to break it to you, but every 2nd grader knows that Life is not Fair. I guess, some people learn that later in life than others.
  • Still haven't heard back from local dealer, and like he said it might take 2 or 3 days to hear something back. I have however opened my own case with Honda USA directly. So I guess I'll be in the queue there as well. Still hoping for some assistance. One thing is for sure is I hope it doesn't take too long because it is failed and seized to the point that my vehicle is totally disabled. I'm without transportation and hitching rides to work with coworkers until I get it repaired.
  • tdaletdale Posts: 2
    Add me to the list, bought a new CR-V (Has a J Vin) on Jan 2003, the A/C went dead at 13000 miles, since it was in warranty, the dealership replaced it. Couple of weeks back started to get a spooky squeak, which turned into a rattling with the A/C dying out today. Went to the local shop - they indicated that the compressor probably had given way. Found this post, called the dealership - who asked me to check with American Honda, as I didn't have an extended warranty. Will call Honda on Monday (as they are closed on the weekend). Any tips... thanks - Tim
  • tdaletdale Posts: 2
    Spoke with American Honda - had the most pleasant customer experience - they had the dealer replace the compressor. My loyalty stays with Honda. A big thanks to all of you how sent me a mail. :D
  • I noticed a little bit of rattling noise with the A/C on in my 2003 CR-V EX w/ 52k. It was at Hall Honda in Virginia Beach for an unrelated minor repair, and the tech listened to it and suspects the compressor. It's going back in two days for a $95 diagnosis. I made an initial call to American Honda, they said continue with the diagnosis. Hopefully, they'll cover it; so far this thread has been encouraging.

I've been a pretty loyal Honda/Acura fan, and have convinced others of their merits, effectively "selling" an additional two TSX's and two CR-V's. I wonder if American Honda considers Acura loyalty just as good?
  • This could be very bad news. When the AC compressor goes bad it is very possible that the whole AC system is contaminated with metal particles, in which case you will have to have the whole AC system replaced. If not it will blow up a new compressor.The dealer should have known this.
  • motojoemotojoe Posts: 1
    Grainger Honda in Savannah Georgia quoted a price of $3350.00 to replace all the components of the AC system following a compressor failure. I bought the car from this dealership and paid for the Honda name, which I thought, included some reliability. Very disappointed. After the 98 bucks to check it out I have taken the car home and I will live with the AC inop, until I get all the parts and tools to fix it myself. 3350 can buy a lot of nice parts and tools.