Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• jpcanaverajpcanavera Posts: 33
    Rob, while technically you are correct, under most cases the help many of us are getting is clearly after the warranty on the vehicles expires. Unless someone is going after this on a class action mode, Honda could easily turn their collective backs to us.

What I do find strange though is the variance of costs to fix the problem. My compressor blew at 88,000 miles on my '02 CRV. The thing sounded like someone threw marbles in it. Bottom line the local dealership charged $1,600 to make the repairs. My problem is I did this before going to Honda America, who settled with me by paying parts with me picking up labor. It was a 50/50 split of the bill. If I had contacted them first I would have probably gotten a better deal since they could have gotten a better labor rate from the dealer in advance.

What I don't understand though is the wide variance in repair costs. My failure sounds about the same as most, where the internal components of the compressor fly apart. Why should there be such large variances in dealer repair costs. I understand labor changes per location but heck why should your dealer repair cost 100% more than mine (keeping in mind that I paid for the repairs before contacting Honda America)???

If I had any beefs with Honda, the repair cost should be consistant at each dealership, allowing some adjustment due to labor rate contracts.

Jack
  • chrismattachrismatta Posts: 19
    I dont understand the variance either, except that I believe each dealership is its own entity to some degree and can negotiate independently on how much they pick up.
    My 'or CRV compressor blew well past the warranty, and thanks to this forum I first called Honda Corporate, composed a 'nice, firm letter from a loyal Honda customer', faxed a copy to corporate, and a copy to the Service Manager at my Dealership, and THEN brought the car in. I think this sequence helped.
    In the end, Honda paid the whole thing, 100%. I was pleasantly shocked.
  • kisseypookisseypoo Posts: 29
    Rob, You may want to check out my experiences and final resolution with Honda re A/C on my CRV. Read msgs. #668, 670 and 679 which I posted previously relating my saga...not only with A/C but with rear differential also.

Hope this helps.

Kissey Poo
  • robjdrobjd Posts: 2
    Thank-you for your reply KP, and I will check out your posts.

Regarding the rear differential, I was quoted $250 to change the hydraulic fluid out which I did myself in about 20 minutes for $20.

I would like to share with everyone on this forum that after several days of discussing this issue with Honda America, I was finally offered an agreement that they would cover all but $100 of the cost of replacing the entire system. This agreement came with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty, which I hope will not be needed. Hopefully the new compressor is an upgrade to the previous one that seized and exploded.

While it would have been better if the offer would have been their initial offer, I am pleased that they are willing to stand behind their product and treat me as a valued customer. There are very few companies left that will do either anymore.

Peace be upon you,
    Rob
    Glad you had some success w/Honda re: a/c compressor. Yes, Honda Corporate does stand behind it's product...the dealer is another story in most cases.

You may want to check out Rear Differential Problems on this forum. We have had two similar problems on our '02 CRV (4WD) within 3000 miles! See post #98 under Rear Differential Problems. There have been two service bulletins issued by Honda regarding this problem. The second one was later in 2007. If you should have a repeat problem and don't want to take the time or spend the money to correct the problem yourself (or if you just want to see what Honda service does to correct the problem), go to the link mentioned in Post #98. Hope you've solved both your problems for good.
  • I am totally in agreement with Robjd. I had the compressor go out on my 2004 CRV in June of 07 at which time it was replaced under an extended warranty. Now today they are telling me that it has gone out again but only due to the condensor cooling fan assembly. On the surface that seems like a good answer but the symptoms are EXACTLY like what happened before. I can see it a mile away that they are going to charge me for the fan. The condensor is going to go out in another month or so and then they are going to tell me I am out of warranty on the 12K/12month replacement part warranty. In addition the transmission has failed 2 times over the same period. It is sad that Honda is asking me to foot the bill on something that they clearly did not perform enough R&D on. I WILL NEVER buy another Honda again and if I can influence others to stay away I will.

I have opened a case with honda and will see where that lands me. If I dont get the satisfaction I am looking for, which is 100% coverage of the work they did just 1year ago. I would definitely be open to any action that can be brought against this :lemon builder.
    Lemondriver: You may want to check out my previous posts on this forum: #668, 670 and 679. We had the second compressor quit after less than a year and got parts compensation from the dealer and labor compensation from Honda Corporate. Also got compensation for second Rear Differential repair 3 months after the previous one! Perhaps reading about our experience will be helpful.

Good luck! And please, post your results.

KP
  • We just had the compressor failure two weeks ago. Upon looking for the cost of a compressor online, we found this forum, and were armed with how to go about getting the problem solved. My CRV is an '02 with 107,000 miles. I created a case with Honda Customer care, then called the local dealer. They couldn't get my car in for 10 days, and when I took it in, I made them aware that I know of the compressor problems. I will pick up the car today, but the district svc mgr could only give me a 10% break, citing the number of miles on the car. Total for parts and labor is almost $1100 after the 10%. I then relayed this to Customer Care, who will now work with the dealership to sort out and see what they can do. I bought my first honda from this same dealer in 1981, and currently own 2 hondas.

We'll see what happens, they are supposed to get back to me by tomorrow.
  • lynnerklynnerk Posts: 2
    My AC went out in my 2004 (113000 miles) 2 weeks ago. I had the Honda Care extended warranty, but that expired a few months ago. I was in DC at the time with 102 degree heat..and had to drive back to Indiana without. I had a mechanic look at the car while I was in DC but had no repair, just wanted to make sure the car was safe to drive.

Anyway, I wanted to research cost and came upon this forum..thank goodness..It would have never occurred to me to contact Honda. Which I did immediately and then took it from there.

I did mention what I was finding on the Internet. No one is disputing the issues with AC, however, no one is admitting to them either.

So far, everyone has been extremely polite, and I received a call from Honda America today to tell me that they are still working on "Goodwill" assistance. Now, luckily, my compressor did not "implode", their word, not mine. However, while they know the clutchh/coil assembley is bad, they have no idea if the compressor is working until the assembly gets fixed, so I think they are trying to determine how to handle the 2 different scenerios. Sadly, I'm wanting 100%..which I doubt I get..but we'll see. I've owned Hondas since I started buying cars in 1985, all new, and all serviced well. My last 3 Hondas have been with the same dealer.

I'm hoping for the best ! :)
  • bedilbedil Posts: 11
    I have a 2003 Cr-v with 43,000 miles on it. Last week the air conditioner just quit working. Since 1987 I have owned nothing but Hondas and Acuras. I have sworn by every one until my CR-V. I have not been 100% satisfied with my CR-V. I am on the 4th set of tires since I purchased the car as well as my air conditioner going out. The fabric on the driver side back door has been hanging for months now. This happened on the passenger side within the first year I had the car. That was fixed under warranty.About a year ago I was driving and I heard a popping sound. I thought I had a blowout so I pulled over. Everything looked fine so I figured that I may have run over something. I told my husband about it and he just gave me the look. Well later that week it did the same thing while he was driving it. We immediately took it to the Honda dealership but they could not duplicate the problem. I was afraid to drive the car for a while but I eventually got over it. The finish on the steering wheel has worn off as well. I emailed the service manager at my dealership regarding the air conditioner. He replied asking me to call his cellphone at my earliest convenience. After reading the postings I'm not sure whether to contact Honda America or return his call. Our household consists of a 2002 Acura RSX, a 2002 Civic and a 1996 Accord. We maintain the vehicles and they all are fantastic. My car is the newest and I drive the least. Where do I go from here?
  • ruth9ruth9 Posts: 2
    Thanks to the very helpful discussions on this forum, I am contacting the Honda American Custormer Service regarding my 2003 CR-V air compressor,which went out this pass weekend at 88,000 miles. I will keep everyone posted on the final results.

Best Regards,

Ruth
    In my experience w/two a/c compressors failing and rear differential problems with our CR-V (never remember if it's an 02 or 03), go to Honda America first. Tell them about being a repeat Honda customer and then tell them of your a/c, etc. experiences with your current CR-V. I would also get a name and a fax number from them and fax them a letter telling them how much you have always loved your Hondas, your previous satisfaction with them and your current situation with your CR-V. Include, at the top of the letter, the Case number that the Honda America rep assigns to your concern. Just state your letter is a followup to your phone conversation of (give date). Be positive. In my experience, Honda America will stand behind it's product while the dealers don't really want to assume responsibility especially if the car is not under warranty. (Read my experiences in Posts 668, 669 and 671. Good luck.
    KP
  • awesome7awesome7 Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a 2001 Honda CR-V with 135,434 miles. A few weeks ago I noticed a rumbling sound when I turned on the A/C. After taking it to the Honda dealership I learned that the entire A/C system needed to be replaced. Below is the actual text from the receipt given to me by the service representative.

CUSTOMER STATES A/C NOT COLD
    CK AND ADVISE --C/S RATTLING NOISE WHEN AC RUNNING
    NOISE COMING FROM COMPRESSOR/CLUTCH/COIL. BEARINGS BAD AND DEBREE HAS BEEN DISTRIBUTED IN A/C SYSTEM. WILL NEED REPLACEMENT OF ALL RUBBER LINES, CONDENSOR, DRYER, COMPLETE COMPRESSOR, EVAPORATOR AND FREON. ESTIMATED COST $2,800.00

This has been a very reliable vehicle. I was very shocked to hear that my only option was to replace the entire system or not run the A/C. I live in Georgia and it has been an extremely hot summer. Has anybody ever had this issue? Did you really have to replace the entire A/C system. Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.
    I took your advice and called America Honda. The girl there said I had to go to a Honda Dealership and have a diagnostic done and that I would be responsible for the payment of that service. If the dealership does not help to my satisfaction that is when I turn to American Honda. I told her that I had gone into Edmunds car space and she said they did not recognize this sight because anyone can say anything they want. I asked for a case number and she said there was no case until there was a diagnostic done. I told her that it was my understanding that I would be given a case number. She said she could give me one but it would just be closed. I took the number. Should I call the dealership or fax a letter? :confuse:
    We had gone to the dealer first only because we hadn't read this site and realized we could turn to Honda America. I would follow Honda's instructions and go have the dealer diagnose the problem. Then you can go back to Honda America and request not only compensation for the repair, but also for the diagnosis.

Be sure you refresh the dealer's memory (especially the service dept.) that you're a loyal Honda buyer. Also, be sure to keep a contemporaneous diary of when you called/spoke to someone, what their name and position was, what their words/actions were as well as the bill for the diagnosis. (We had to submit bills to Honda America because the service dept. never did.) Then when you deal with Honda America you have all the dates, names and data accurate and available.

Don't give up hope. We almost had, but Honda stood behind their product. (See my earlier postings...I think they were 667, 668 and 670).

Good luck...and keep us informed of your progress.

KP
  • ruth9ruth9 Posts: 2
    I have contacted Honda American on June the 23rd, was assigned a case #. I have called four times and always get the voice mail for the case manager. I was very disappointed. Not sure what kind responds I will get from them.......This may be my last Honda if I am not satisfied with the solution. Has anyone thought about a class action on this?
  • lynnerklynnerk Posts: 2
    Update:

Honda did participate, but only 50%. And it was made very clear to me that it was a gift for my extreme loyalty, otherwise they wouldn't have participated at all.

Am very disappointed...sadly they wanted me to sign a form saying this was a satifactory conclusion..when I said I wasn't satisfied, they looked at me like I had grown another head and told me that this was all they would do.

So..I signed (I needed my car) and told them it was a shame because if someone had asked me 2 months ago what my next car purchase was going to be, I would have said "Honda" without hesitation. Now, that's not the case.

I have spent 1000's keeping up to date on ALL maintenance just to avoid these failures. I have a 96 Accord with 270,000 miles that has never had an AC issue and they admitted that there was an AC issue with this model. But because I have 113000 miles on it, they just wouldn't pay more than 50%.

I'm very disappointed and will have to re-think my next purchase... :(
    Ruth9, Hang in there a few more days. The first time we dealt w/Honda America, they didn't call back within the timeframe they initially gave us, but they did get back to us. Check out my posts #668, 670 and 679 before they do call back. The info and approach we used may be helpful to you when you finally talk to the case manager once again. Good luck! KP
    I called the service manager at Hardin Honda yesterday. He was very nice and told me to bring my CRV in and he would do what he could to help me out. I took the car in and I was helped by a young man who was EXTREMELY nice. He explained that the estimate would include a cost for a diagnostic check but that they would contact Honda America to see what they could do. I signed the estimate and left my car. Today the manager called and said that the whole unit wasn't broken it was something (can't remember the word) to do with the fan. He said that in his experience that this was an indication of a motor failure and that he had suggested to Honda America that they pay to replace the motor as well. They agreed and my car will be ready tomorrow. I am sure my low mileage and the fact that I have purchased 4 Hondas from this dealership helped me as well. He is also going to look into my tire problem.

Thank you for your advice. I felt like I went in with a little knowledge! :)
  • I just had my air conditioner blow out on my 2002 CRV at 80,000 miles while driving in 100 degree heat. Luckily, I found this thread and opened a case# before bringing the car into the dealer. Corporate was reluctant at first, but after indicating that I was a loyal honda owner, they seemed willing to open the case, even though they indicated that there was no such thing as a good will warranty. Be polite but firm!
    After mentioning the issue to the dealer, they were glad I did my homework, and awaited authorization from the honda rep. I will end up paying ~500 on the $3200 quote. Although I don't believe we should have to pay anything on this issue since it seems to be prevalent in CRVs from 2002 - 2004 - it is better than the full amount. The communication was quick and my car will be ready tomorrow. Honda was able to resolve this issue within the week, and I can't complain about that. The dealership has been extremely supportive. Hopefully my repairs will last - there's a long summer ahead, I will keep you posted.
    Good luck to everyone w/AC problems!
  • I have a 2002 Honda CRV and my A/C just went out for the second time. The first time was in September 2005. That time the warranty paid for the new unit. From my experience they do have to replace everything because something metal breaks and contaminates the entire system so if you just replace one or two things there are still metal flakes in the other parts of the system that can make the new parts go bad fast. Anyway I contacted Honda America and faxed them a letter and go a case number, then took the car to my dealer for a diagnostic to verify that the same thing happened this time that happened last time. Now I am awaiting a decision from the dealer and Honda America. Called them both today, got the voice mail to my rep. at Honda America and my dealer has not heard anything either. If they wont pay for my A/C then I will be driving this summer without one because I can not afford the 3800.00 the dealer quoted me for a new air conditioning system. Wish me luck!!!!
    We had a similar situation. See my posts #668, 670 and 679. We're on our 3rd a/c compressor! Also had 2 problems with rear end differential 3K miles apart. We were pleased with results from Honda America. Hang in there and be sure to tell them how much you love your Honda and what a loyal customer you are, especially if you or members of your family own other Hondas. Honda recognizes the value of "free advertising" from satisfied customers.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    KP
  • killorhomekillorhome Posts: 13
    Bought a 04' CR-V w/ 33K mi on it. Came w/ standard 1yr "certified honda warranty". Well after 6 mos. dealer fixed hose that depleted the A/C system. Another 10 mos. (out of warranty now of course!) later heard "grind" sound in A/C system. My worst fears realized, compressor shelled & contaminated entire A/C system. Total fix $3K!! My skepticism is maxed cuz dealer offered 75% without me asking. I know there is defect but cannot find "smoking gun" w/ TSBs, recalls. Even recent odometer settlement didn't help!! I'm pissed cuz i'm stuck & would love to see a class A on 'em. My only salvation is they will pay 75%. Any ideas before i accept!!
  • jcanaverajcanavera Posts: 11
    If the dealer is picking up 75% which includes parts and labor, take it. I don't consider this a bad offer.

Jack
    Check out my experience and approach in Posts # 668, 670 and 679!. Good luck. Keep us posted. KP
  • piglet22piglet22 Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I am in the market for a used mid-sized SUV and had just narrowed my decision down to a gen2 CR-V when I found this post. Needless to say I'm quite apprehensive now. From what I'm seeing, this issue appears to be limited to the 2002-2004 models - though I did see a post that stated that some 2005 models could 'possibly' be affected. Does anyone know for sure if this issue does affect the '05 and/or '06 models? Had Honda not addressed this by then?
    In any case, should I end up with something in the '02-'04 range is there any preventive maintenance that could be performed to avoid or at least delay this apparently inevitable failure? Are the replacements that Honda provides re-engineered to address this? I've seen many posts of individuals going through this 2 and 3 times! Are there any 3rd party aftermarket compressors that could be used to replace the Honda OEM that won't have this problem? I found a site on-line that sells "SPECTRA PREMIUM" compressors for the CR-V. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they have the same faulty design?
    Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated - otherwise it looks like I might be getting a RAV4. Thanks!
  • jcanaverajcanavera Posts: 11
    Well obviously if you can always ask the owner if the A/C has been replaced. I'm wondering though if the failure of the replacement compressors has something to do with the quality of the repair than the quality of the replacement compressor. When these compressors blow, they do release debris into the system. I would guess that how well the dealership can evacuate the system of the debris will affect the life of the new compressor. I'm on my third summer with my 2004 CRV's replaced compressor. So far so good.

Jack
  • killorhomekillorhome Posts: 13
    I surely didn't expect A/C issues when i got my CR-V, never even heard of them & I did some research before i bought. Needless to say I'm questioning all i believe about honda--I'm still skeptical of their motives for paying 75% of my repairs. I would fight it (court)but I simply can't afford to lose & honda pay nothing. My advice to you is a thorough VIN check. As for preventive care all you can do is follow sevice intervals & have any "anomoly" checked ASAP.
    We followed all maintenance intervals, had service done only at Honda dealers and still had two a/c compressors fail. Local dealers would only cover parts, not labor. So, in essence, they made their money and Honda America paid for the rest.

I don't checking VIN numbers pays any dividends. Regardless where vehicles were assembled, England, Japan, etc., the problem exists.

Why is it that the original a/c was guaranteed for 3 yrs./36,000 miles, but replacement is only guaranteed for 12 months/approx. 10K miles????

I agree w/killorhome who suggests having anamoly checked ASAP by Honda.
  • genhogenho Posts: 7
    Another victim here...the air conditioning quit on my wife a few days ago. There had been some sort of unpleasant ratting/vibration under the hood for several days previous; then the air quit as she was driving along. She thought something came out from under the car, but she knew the person driving behind her at the time, contacted her, and was told that person didn't see anything fall out from under the car. We arranged an appointment with the dealer for later this week; then we stumbled across this forum. Great. Can't afford gas or groceries, now this. In any event...I can't seem to locate a step-by-step procedure for trying to get Honda to pick up the costs for this. Apparently; the number for Honda Corporate is 1-800-999-1009. What department or person do you ask for? How do you explain your situation? How do you ask for a case number? After you get a case number, what do you do at your local dealer? It would be nice if someone with previous experience with dealing with this debacle would post the step-by-step criteria for dealing with this issue...it would be most appreciated! I am quite surprised that a recall for these vehicles hasn't been initiated. The number of posts on this forum are certainly indicative of a problem, and one wonders how many have occurred outside the realm of this forum. Thanks!