Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• Wow, I'm glad to find this forum. The compressor on my 2004 Honda CR-V just went this past weekend, My local Honda Dealership wants $3200.00 for the repair, a complete replacement. They claimed they talked to America Honda and they would give me about 30% discount so I would have to only pay $1950.00. plus tax for the repair, a good faith deal. But I talked to and auto AC company and they said they have repaired a bunch of these, and there cost is only $950.00 with a 12 month warranty just like Honda. Some good faith deal from Honda. Not Happy about this due to so many of these are going bad. I too have file a complaint to the NHTSA .. they need to get off there butts and make Honda do a recall on these compressors..
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,295
    Maybe you should bypass the dealer and open up your own case with HondaUSA?

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Our 2002 CR-V (LX 4WD, 94K, bought two weeks after model introduction in 2001; remember the seat belt buckle issue?) had the compressor fail catastrophically a few days ago. Dealer says whole A/C system must be replaced because metal shards have contaminated all parts of the system, American Honda will pay for all parts ($2800), we must pay $980 for labor. Resolution seems fair to me (I can afford the $980 and would like to keep the car for a few more years; college expenses looming). Service rep says replacement system will have 3-year 36K warranty. We own two CR-Vs (2002 and 2007) and regularly use this dealer for service; that may have helped. Repairs will take two to three days.

Service rep seemed aware of problem--when I said "terrible sound" and "no cold air," he knew exactly where to look.
  • The district rep agreed to pay for 100% of the repair (about $2,200). The only requirement was that we had to let the dealer do a 40,000 mile maintenance check. We're glad that Honda is owning up to its design problem. Anyhow, they should have recalled the part.
  • tommydtommyd Posts: 10
    We lost the AC compressor, researched this forum, called Honda America, and they said they would work with us. We took our CR-V to the dealer where we purchased it, (Woodbridge, VA) and they said the damage would cost $3800.00 to repair. The compressor literally exploded, and it did some damage. We agreed to pay 1/4 of the cost, or $950.00. Now, the dealer is trying to get us to pay tax. I am more than a little PO'd. Their cost is $3800, so why should I pay tax on their cost, IOT jack up their gain on the problem that emanated from their faulty product? Any others with this type of experience?
  • shima1shima1 Posts: 19
    There are thousands of these complaints about the CRV on this and other forums. I have an 02 with 80K miles and I feel like I'm driving a ticking bomb. I don't want to replace the compressor myself and have it go too as has been happening. Does anyone know if a later bug-free compressor is available? I would have it installed privately. Otherwise there's no option but to sell the car. Too bad because I like it just fine except for this major problem. If you Google "Honda CRV a/c problems" the 1st hit is a law firm mounting a class-action suit. I contacted them but of course they can't help until the damn thing blows!
  • madams1madams1 Posts: 101
    I have an 03 automatic with 84K and too have been monitoring the A/C issue. I take mine to an independent shop that only works with Hondas and Acuras and he gets about 3 per summer in the shop. Most of his have been just the compressor and they did not 'explode'. Basically, from what I hear the problem is the design of the compressor, which cannot be changed. I asked him if it would be too proactive to go ahead and change it out, and he said that since the cost would be near 1,000.00 he would just wait.
  • jtkaojtkao Posts: 2
    I've been in the market for a preowned crv for a while and found this 05 CRV with 68k miles at a dealership just few days ago. I got very excited until I've come across this forum last night. I was shocked by seeing the number of cases here. I need to get some advise whether I should proceed to get or not. Are there any 05 or later crv owners out there who had the same a/c problem?
    05 is not immune and this isn't the only forum with the bad news.
    http://tinyurl.com/6kbea2
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,813
    "I've been in the market for a preowned crv for a while and found this 05 CRV with 68k miles at a dealership just few days ago. I got very excited until I've come across this forum last night. I was shocked by seeing the number of cases here. I need to get some advise whether I should proceed to get or not. Are there any 05 or later crv owners out there who had the same a/c problem? "

I personally don't recall any problems with 2005 or 2006. I suspect that they made a major change in either 2005 or 2006 to redesign the A/C systems. I realize others may have seen 2005 problems, but the latest I've noticed is 2004.
    To all the people with Honda CRV air conditioning problems, Everyone must call the National Traffic Highway Administration and Attorney Generals office to complain about American Honda. If you don't nothing will be done to recall this problem. I was told this by their representatives.

Complaints can be filed at the Nat'l Highway Traffic Safetywebsite:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
  • drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    Otherwise there's no option but to sell the car.

Isn't that an overreaction? You have a 7 year old vehicle that has performed just fine yet you want to get rid of it because its AC compressor may go bad. There's a saying about borrowing trouble. If it happens then figure out what to do.

I understand that there is a flaw somewhere causing this issue but Honda seems to be taking care of the problem...you can't say the same about other automakers when they have similar issues.

And I still wonder when people feel it is ok for a part to go bad...7 years...10 years...never??
  • Had same problem with compressor as newer model. No help from Honda. I think if you get the dealership to contact Honda you are better off with their help. I got no help from Honda West in Indianapolis.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    And I still wonder when people feel it is ok for a part to go bad...

That would probably be anytime after they sell it or trade it in. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Look and see how many used ones you see in those years and then look for a used 07 or 08. You wont find many 07 or 08 models.
  • Just how far back did they go with those bad tires some years back. Did they look at age or mileage ? No, they were defective and they just replaced them all right ?
  • drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    Quietest this topic has been in a while. No one saying they lost their AC. Apparently no one is using their AC during winter...even though you should to keep it functioning properly.

Will there be a rash of compressor failures in the spring?
    Doesn't the compressor kick in when you turn on the defroster? Most cars "condition" the air when you turn on the defroster to dry out the air in the cabin.

• Hi - I am new to the forum. I am researching a car for my wife. She needs 4WD and some cargo space and the CRV was high on our radar until I came across this forum. There are a couple 2004 CRVs in the area, but if this AC problem is not an if but when issue, it seems we should be looking elsewhere.

The one I am most interested in is a 2004 EX-L with about 50K miles. Any input appreciated. Thanks.
    I have a 2003 with 87K and the only problem so far is the throttle body sensor went bad. The problem is on the 2003 the whole throttle body has to be replaced. Mine was under extended warranty, but I was told it would have been a costly repair. I mentioned the compressor issue to my mechanic at a shop that specializes in Honda and Acura and he said that in the summer, he sees about 2 or 3 CRV's that need a new compressor. So far he has not seen one that exploded and ruined the whole system.

I love driving the CRV and sure your wife will also. Be sure to get good tires if they need replacing.
    I was thinking that it did also. Perhaps a mechanic or someone with more knowledge could tell us.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    Hi - I am new to the forum. I am researching a car for my wife. She needs 4WD and some cargo space and the CRV was high on our radar until I came across this forum. There are a couple 2004 CRVs in the area, but if this AC problem is not an if but when issue, it seems we should be looking elsewhere.

The one I am most interested in is a 2004 EX-L with about 50K miles. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

There were no EX-L's in 2004 in the US. Either the vehicle is an EX with dealer or previous owner added leather. Or, if the bumpers match the body color, it is a grey market Canadian Import.
  • w1johnw1john Posts: 6
    Does anyone know where the compressor is located in the engine compartment, and where on the compressor I can find the part number. My question is in reference to the following message that I came accrossed: "CHECK AND SEE IF YOU HAVE A UPDATED COMPRESSOR PART NUMBER 38810-PNB-006 SHOULD BE ON THE COMPRESSOR OTHERWISE YOU MAY WANT TO REPLACE YOUR COMPRESSOR WITH NEW MODEL BEFORE YOUR OLD IT COMPRESSOR BLOWS".

Thanks in advance!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    On the driver's side towards the front. you can;t miss it, it has a big black electric clutch on the pulley.
  • beyondoilbeyondoil Posts: 15
    Well it took a little longer for ours to go bad. It has 83K miles and even though we bought the CRV used, it has performed quite well up to this point. The bad thing is that we have to replace a badly designed compressor with another. Why of why hasn't the design of this compressor been fixed so we won't have to go though all of this again. It isn't exactly easy to change the compressor as it is way down below everything else. I am going to do it myself as I want to make sure it is done right and I want to change the serpentine belt.

The best place to own one of these CRV's would be in Alaska so you wouldn't need air conditioning.

Daniel
    Well, Fairbanks and the interior can get hot, but more importantly, AC's condition the air by taking humidity out, and that helps defrost your windshield.

I visited a friend up in Barrow a few years back and all the cabs were mostly CR-Vs for some reason.

Even though you are the second owner and you have a good deal of miles, you should open a case with Honda USA and see if they will help you out at all on the parts or labor.

Well instead of moving to Alaska and not using the defroster, we opened a case with Honda. After paying $132.00 to find out what we already knew, Honda said that our CR-V needed a new compressor and they refused any assistance. There reason is that we were the 2nd owners and the CR-V had 81k miles.

So I think I am going to replace it myself. Honda just wants too much.

I also think I can only get the type of compressor for the 2003 that always seems to have a limited life expectancy. It's not a good feeling putting in a part you expect to fail prematurely.

I will consider it a Zen experiment.

Daniel
    Well my conclusion is that if you get a A/C compressor for a 2002 to a 2006 CR-V you are just wasting your money. You would be getting a compressor that would have a predisposition for failure. You would make a lot of money for Honda but probably be very unsatisfied with the results.

There was one person who put in a compressor from a 2007 CR-V into a 2003. It fits perfectly and it has a hi pressure relief valve near the HP outlet otherwise the compressor is the same.. Hoses have to be made that would interconnect the 07 compressor to the earlier CR-Vs but it sounds like the only solution unless Honda decides to admit that it is making faulty air conditioner compressors on their 02-06 Cr-vs.. They don't seem likely to be doing this.

Daniel
    After contacting Honda about our bad ac compressor we were told for them to participate in the repair, we would need the vehicle inspected by Honda. We did this and it cost us $132.00 to find out we had a bad ac compressor. Then Honda said they wouldn't pay anything because of the 83k mileage and we were the 2nd owners. I feel they should have told us this before asking us to pay Honda the $132.00. They did have the information on the mileage and the 2nd ownership. So I complained and then got a call from Honda and now they agreed to pay $200,00 out of their $1,200.00 estimate to replace the ac compressor.

So I bought a new compressor on ebay for about $295.00 and it has a two year warranty. I think that will give me enough time to sell the CRV. I think all the ac compressors are junk. I'm going for a Toyota.

Daniel :cry:
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,813
    There have been fewer and fewer complaints about the 2003-2005 CR-V compressor failures. This makes me wonder if Honda did finally fixed the design problem, and used the updated compressors in the repairs.

That, or they had some bad batches of compressors from their vendor, and the "bad" ones have all failed by now...