Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• windgooroowindgooroo Member Posts: 1
    Woe is me! After spending months looking for a smaller nimbler replacement for my great 1994 Montero (218,000 on it with no major problems) I decided on a 2004 CR-V - over a 2004 Forester. The Foresters had notorious head gasket leakage problems up until 05, and the repairs usually run $1,500 +- to fix the issue. The repair is, however, PERMANENT. I combed the web for negative issues with CR-Vs, but never found a single one - until I bought one! I never checked the AC before plunking down the 10 grand+ for the vehicle, never having heard that there even was one with these cars and never having had any measurable AC problems in any of the 50 some vehicles I've owned in my life.

So now I"ve discovered all the usual symptoms: Nothing at all from the AC, even though the light comes on and the blower works fine. No compressor engagement at all, and there is a very recent condenser in the car marked Sept 2010. I figure that the "usual" parts have been replaced and it has crapped out again.

My question is this: As a second owner on a car with 93,000 on it should I bother with the class action? Is there an acceptable compressor/condenser set available now that won't grenade in a year or two? Are the original OEM parts all junk?

Oh how I wish that I'd gone with my instincts and just rebuilt the Montero.
  • pspmacpspmac Member Posts: 13
    Sorry to hear you decided to buy a CRV, while a few on this blog haven't had any problems it looks like 99.9% have had issues. There are a large number of CRV owners in my city, I ask every owner I meet about their experience, 65% to 75% have had issues with a/c systems. One poor women I spoke to last week was on her third a/c system.

The law firm handling the a/c issue has just filed a new class action on the Civic tire situation. You can get their contact information at
    www.honda-lawsuit.com . I was able to confirm I am on the settlement list however don't know when the court will approve the settlement.

Regards, Mac in a very hot car in Palm Springs
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Nice summary, isellhondas, of the experience of I'll bet most CR-V owners. My rear differential grumbled during slow turns early on. A change of fluid and gear "burnishing" seems to have settled the issue. Otherwise, the car is a gem.

Statistically, Hondas, including CR-Vs, rank very high in reliability. And the CR-V has been the highest selling SUV in its class for many years. Believe it or not, there must be more than a few happy owners for those rankings and sales to continue.

Of course, no car maker is perfect. And through the wonders of forums like these, owners with problems can congregate, share information, and start to think they represent more people than they do. Most car owners never to go near a forum on car problems.

I've little doubt that if my '07 CR-V's A/C went out just beyond warranty, I'd not be happy about it. I had that happen to the tranny on a Toyota once. Expensive. But I didn't condemn all Toyotas. I've owned too many others not to know of their general reliability.
  • euroisoneuroison Member Posts: 3
    Bull, Bull, Bull to the Guy that said Honda CRV hasnt had any more problems than any one else, He is a true defender of Honda, apparently a Company he was in love with, The Honda CRV, I was picking up my Compresor at Oreillys And a mechanic was in there, He said I feel for you, I said why, he said you'll be doing it again. I hate em he said, I wont even service a CRV any more, But he was nice enough to give me the exact diagrams that the dealer shop uses
    concerning everything on the HVAAC on my CRV., I have a mouth I ask around to, I have a buisness of my own and work for another company where I see a lot of people and the cars they drive, The numbers of CRV at around 64,000 to 90,000 miles is unreal how many AC are blowing up, locking up(going out). Apparently thisa guy as he said is retired and probably drives 40mph, and is cold in the middle of the summer. Well Im still in my prime so is my wife and she likes her AC.
    What gets me the most this forum was about Honda and people are posting about Ford, or Chevy, hmm I see whats up, their Honda lovers trying to get attention away from the issue Honda. I have a F150 187,000 Changed the MAF sensor, cleaned my egr ports, new plugs. Brakes tires etc, Gas, But all this combined still hasnt costed me a one time at 80,000 miles 3,000 dollar problem, Hell you give 34,000 for a car you expect it to last awhile. my F150 wasnt but 18,800 something back in 98, I purchased a used Montero, its out doing this Honda. 6,500, My daughter used 96 camaro, 146,000 Still going, The energizer bunny $12.95 still going.
  • euroisoneuroison Member Posts: 3
    495, for a kit with Compressor, Expansion Valve, Drying condensor with dryer, all oil rings
    Oil, 495 free shipping, 1 year warranty, then they have a 8 part kit with lines, etc, it was 645. , http://www.onlineaccompressors.com/addtocart/2005_Honda/CRV/AC_Kit/60-80501.html- I just paid, 435, for just Compressor, expansion valve and new dryer bag repacking kit. I'm taking it back getting this kit.
  • autoowner2autoowner2 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    I have a 2003 CR-V with 140K miles. A/C compressor went out, but otherwise it's in pretty good shape. Is it worth paying $2100 to get it fixed?

This is the price I'd pay after any assistance from Honda corporate.

I don't need a nice car so I'm tempted to just pay. But I could probably pay cash for something much newer (and less likely to have another problem). I'd like to wait before buying a new car... just because I'm a little cheap and don't want to part with the cash.

Is it crazy to pay that much just to keep it running?

Yes - I do need the A/C. I'd probably get a new car in 1-2 years so the A/C is probably just for this summer and/or next.

Bluebook/resale values seem to be around 5-6K but I don't know if that factors in the dead A/C or not.

Thank you
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    What's the difference in resale between the car with and without working AC? Answer that and then answer the question of how much is one or two seasons of AC worth to you. The spread should help you answer the question of whether to spend money on a replacement car now or spend it on the repair.
  • lesliechan31lesliechan31 Member Posts: 1
    My AC compressor went out today. I was quoted 2100 dollars to fix it. I will not pay it. If this is a problem for many owners, shouldn't there be a recall? Does Honda of America do anything? IS there a class action lawsuit? I want to find a way to get this taken care of without getting raped by the dealer. Can someone please fill me in on what I can do? Thanks! :)
  • rrubyyrrubyy Member Posts: 19
    You have already been raped by Honda....there will be no recall until people die from no air conditioning...there is a class action lawsuit .. Google search: Honda class action lawsuit..Good luck with that one too...

My suggestion: Print out these postings ... go back to the dealer, tell them it has been a constant problem since 2003 CRV's because of their redesign of the ac unit; the holes are too small and implodes taking out the entire ac system.. Honda has repaired this at no charge, on vehicles more than once. If no luck, go to an independent, call Honda American, give them the same story ... they reimbursed 1/2 of mine. GET RID OF THE CAR, My 2004 went out at just under 50k miles; repaired at independent (because I was not aware of these postings), HA reimbursed 1/2; it went out again in 3 months (this time covered by warranty). I traded the car in on a 2010 Toyota RAV 4.
  • samm43samm43 Member Posts: 195
    What holes being too small are you referring to?

Did you get the 4 or 6 cylinder in the RAV4? Does it have similar fuel consumption, assuming both are AWD?

Sam
    Don't remember what holes the mechanic referenced. As I recall the mechanic said because of this - the condenser freezes up, implodes, spewing metal fragments throughout taking out the entire ac system.

In Arizona, ac is a MUST HAVE not a luxury. The RAV 4 is 4 cylinder, gas mileage averages 26 mph Good luck.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    edited May 2011
    "...Original tires still had good tread at 49,000 miles but I cut one on a piece of metal in the road and decided to just replace them all. ..."

Just to chime in here, I also had a 2003 EX AWD, and my tires lasted for about 44K. Must have been a good year...

I also had the rear fluid changed at 30K as a precaution.
  • hondaguy21hondaguy21 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Eurosion

I followed the link to the new air conditioner kit. Looks good. I called them and talked to them about a 3 year warranty.

Have you had yours installed? If so have you had nay problems with it so far.

Thanks.

Mike
  • carol4011carol4011 Member Posts: 6
    My AC went out at 60000 miles and Honda said they would not repair it. What is the link for the AC compressor kit? Also have you installed it? Any info would be greatly appreciated as last year I suffered horribly with no air in Ohio. Thanks so much
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's in post 1836 above.
  • j_m_bj_m_b Member Posts: 1
    For those of you wanting to delete the compressor, the belt you need is 56". This went on a 2008 with 136K miles. First time it went out. I had to make a tool to release the tensioner.
  • yhoyho Member Posts: 4
    I have 2004 CR-V, the dealer quote me $4100.00 to replace the whole system. my body replaced it for me for $375.00

It turned out I only need compressor, not whole system. The compressor kit was from a 2006 Civic, he compare the part number, they are the same, and so far over a year, it is still working great.
  • gusmorgangusmorgan Member Posts: 3
    To Booger53...I have the same problem with my 2005 CRV. The dealer offered $1000 of the $3200 however I cannot afford $2200. I have tried to resolve with American Honda but have been met with the rudest people in customer service. I was told that my car has too many miles for them to offer any financial assistance. I am trying to find out more about the "area rep" you mention. How did you know who to contact and do you have more information on how I can find out who my area rep is? PS - it is now 105' in Tucson AZ
  • gusmorgangusmorgan Member Posts: 3
    To hondaacstinks:
    I would love the email address of Honda's CEO. please post it or email me.

[email protected].

Thanks,
    Gus
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2011
    He hasn't been back for a while.

I'm sure that someone scans the emails and will simply forward your email to customer service.

Meanwhile, by posting your email on a public forum, you've invited every spammer and spambot in the world to grab it.
  • clftexasclftexas Member Posts: 1
    I have the "black death" problem with my 2001 crv. Happened 2 years ago, but now I'm desperate to get the A/C fixed. I'm in Houston. Can you share the names of the shops you went to? Thanks!
  • nighiknighik Member Posts: 5
    I took my CRV 2004/90,000 miles to HONDA dealership today for oil/filter change and to replace engine air filter. Right after I left the shop, a couple of miles down the road my A/C broke. I went back to the dealership; they quoted me $ 3750 to be fixed. Could the dealership have messed up something while servicing my car that led to the A/C to fail? Any ideas? Did anyone have similar problems?Thanks
    Count yourself as a "Lucky One", mine went out at 46K and again 2 months later. The dealer did not mess up ... HONDA messed up when they re-designed the ac unit.
    You may be right. But this is what happened exactly: The A/C clutch or “plate” in front of the pulley/belt was missing (probably it fell down while I was driving to which the noise was attributed to). How could that have happened? Are you saying this is a bad design by Honda? Did any one else have exactly the same problem? Thanks.
    After reading all these comments and on Topix.com as well, it seems it's definitely Honda's bad A/C design for this type of car. In my opinion, we should complain to Honda of America and to the DOT/NTSB or other Federal Agencies about this. It's highly treacherous to drive a car where the A/C locks-up or disintegrates while driving. Luckily I wasn't driving fast and there were no pieces of fragmented metal that fell off the A/C that did damage other parts of the engine. We should be on top of this. Thanks.
  • pjr226pjr226 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 CRV has had 4 different A/C compressors and now the 4th blew out yesterday. Last one was put on in May 2010. Just over a year ago. Why does Honda not see a problem here? The blinders must be large and tight to miss this one. Honda speaks that there vehicles hold their value. This CVR has no value when I have all these A/C repair costs annually. Todays economy (which is why I picked a CRV) does not make anual repairs in thousands possible. We do need to contact Honda of America and not take NO for an answer. I'm going to be a nuisance until they make it right!!!!!
    Good Luck with Honda .. they know there is a problem, however, no one has died because of no a/c .. so NO RECALL ... AND ... they will tell you that!!!

Why did it take you 5 a/c outages to discover this is CRapV is not worth the money?

Dumped mine after 2 outages in 3 months, with 46,000 miles on the 2004 CRapV.
  • vkgarryvkgarry Member Posts: 7
    I feel for you. I have a 2004. We bought it in Spring 2005, and the first compressor failed that summer. It blew a compressor every summer through 2009. That would make the total 5. I haven't fixed the last one yet. The first two were done under the factory warranty, the second two under the extended warranty. This will be my second summer w/o A/C...in Las Vegas.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    GET RID OF THE CAR, My 2004 went out at just under 50k miles; repaired at independent (because I was not aware of these postings), HA reimbursed 1/2; it went out again in 3 months (this time covered by warranty). I traded the car in on a 2010 Toyota RAV 4.

Getting rid of the car would imply destroying it. You merely passed on the problem onto someone else. Nice! (Not!!!)

Trading a problem car to a Toyota dealer who will in turn sell it to someone else, or auction, and the car ends up in hands of some single mother with 3 kids who can barely afford it... I guess your version of "pay it forward" is a little a skew...
    Honda would not step up to the plate and buy the car back or even pay for the entire bill (which was MUCH LESS at an independent than at a dealer). If Honda had paid for the entire repair ($1900) I probably would still own the car. Way to go Honda. Not the way to keep product loyalty up.

Honda perpetuates the problem; I simply "cut my losses" and moved on.

Anyone buying a used car needs to do some research; that's what these car forums are all about - to inform prospective purchasers.
    By the way - my financial situation is not any better than the single mother with 3 kids you described. I am 65, only income is social security due to involuntary employment termination - unemployment ran out and forced to take "early social security"
  • azmommyazmommy Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Mine went out today, 3pm on the freeway in 115 degree weather with my two kids in the car. By the time I made it 3 miles to the dealer, my little girl was beet-red in the backseat...but I guess it's not much of a safety issue, right? I sat in the waiting room searching this forum while waiting for the news on how bad it would be, glad I could at least be somewhat prepared for the $2K-$3,500 estimate they gave me. Of course it depends on how bad it is when they get in, blah blah blah. We'll find out when they start the work tomorrow, although I'm seriously wondering if I should keep the car or not?

It is a 2005 with 111K miles, I bought it new and have maintained it and paid for numerous other "small time" repairs over the past 6 years, you know, the kind of repairs you expect. This doesn't fall in that category and I'm seriously disappointed to be paying this much in a single repair with a Honda. I skipped the cheaper SUVs thinking that by paying a little more, I would be buying a solid, dependable car. Guess not. My first car was an '83 Accord that had over 185K miles on it and never needed any repair of this magnitude...how sad that Honda has sacrificed their fantastic reputation like this!

Ironically, I fought the "safety vs convenience" factor early on with my CRV-it was part of the faulty back-hatch-latch batch and it took the dealer 6 times to finally fix it right. Not covered under "lemon law" because it wasn't a "safety problem" (although not being able to lock the car seemed like a safety problem to me). I was super-patient through that process, now this? My husband owns a Fit and it is a fantastic car, but my CR-V seems cursed. I've had my eye on an Odyssey EX-L for the next family car, but this experience has me completely soured on Hondas and I'll be opting for the Sienna instead. Sorry Honda, I'm out.
    Dear AZ Mommy

How awful; but please don't question (shake your finger at me) over this being a safety issue. I totally agree it is.

Call American Honda and tell them and tell the Honda dealer. Better yet, tell the dealer it is documented by 100's of people on this forum - Honda needs to step up to the plate and do a "permanent fix" of this design flaw problem.
  • janiceingajaniceinga Member Posts: 5
    I had a 96 Accord that was fantastic. I had the AC go on my 2002 CRV shortly after it was out of warranty....about 42K miles. Honda covered the whole repair and, at the time, I thought that was great. As I kept reading these forums, though, I felt like I was at a big risk for another failure to the point I hardly used my AC last summer. That doesn't work in Georgia. Traded it in on a Toyota Prius last October and couldn't be happier. I got a good trade-in value for it, but I had hoped it would have been a vehicle I could have kept longer. I don't like how Honda has denied the problem to customers. I would call it lying. I would think twice before buying another vehicle from them and it is one of the reasons I went for the Prius over the Fit.
  • avesmommaavesmomma Member Posts: 1
    Funny, mine went out last week too! 100plus degree weather, 2 kids in back (one a newborn), in the middle of a 5 hour drive to be with my grandma (who ended up passing away), $2000 bill and no help from Honda! Oh, and I had problems with the back hatch not locking as well. This just should not happen to a vehicle that is 5 years old and has less than 80,000 miles. I can get the came car for much less, but I wanted the giant H on it for resale and reputation. Goodbye Honda. Hello Toyota.
    The giant H now stands for "Hooked and Hustled"
  • indyputraindyputra Member Posts: 1
    Hey blueiedgod

Are you saying that HA reimbursed you even after you repaired it at an independent? I am in the same boat as you, same details on the car and am getting the car repaired at an independent. HA said they would reimburse if I get it done at a dealer, but not if at an independent. I'm now in a fix. Can you help?
    HA reimbursed 50% for work done at an independent. I also had to prove I traded in a Honda product for the CRV by faxing a copy of the purchase contract showing the trade in; showing I was a "brand loyal customer".

If they will pay 100% for work done at a dealer - why wouldn't you have the work done at a dealer - or - has the work already been done.
  • sam78649sam78649 Member Posts: 1
    So my honda 2004 crv's ac went out last year towards the end of summer. We thought it must be just freeon issue..got it checked from Meineke for free and found out it was compressor problem. I contacted Honda America after reading all the posts. They asked me that they can only help if I get it diagnosed from Honda dealer. Well had to spend $110 for diagnosis the dealer quoted $3950 ....Well honda america spoke with the dealer and they are ready to reduce the price to $2300 where as Meineke is ready to do the same service for $1400..The Honda America customer service is the worst I have come across. rude agents and they dont care a damn about u..I wasted $110 thinking they might be fair considering I have another Honda Accord and nothing....We all need to get together and do something about this issue..Well if noone has died someone could die definately in 110 degrees here in Arizona. I cant find the lawsuit anywhere as well....We have to do something seriously.....
  • ohiokarenohiokaren Member Posts: 3
    We are owners of a 03 CRV. (low mileage) We were informed this morning by our independent mechanic that our AC compressor seized and the AC system needs $1400 worth of repairs. Called our Honda dealer to get this documented and their diagnosis. This is Friday, they are booked until Wed.
    (It's going to be in the mid 90's all next week) but I guess it doesn't really matter since we were informed that many of the parts related to this problem are not available and they have no idea when they will be. (Columbus, Ohio) I have not read any other posts about parts not being available. Also, went to the class action lawsuit website that is mentioned all over online, and all I could find was a form to fill out over a Civic tire problem. Very frustrating and I know this is only the beginning............
    hi chiokaren...Honda of America will refer you to dealership and both agree on price..mine was $1500. Done it at a private shop for $1000. It took a week. I'm done w Honda for ever ...good luck.
  • nwalz37nwalz37 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue too.... frustrating.... I bought my 2004 Honda CRV used w/ 66, 000 miles on it last year and bought a Powertrain Plus warranty for 24,000 miles... I am just under that 24,000 by 400 miles and last week the air compressor blew... The dealer and the warranty company went back and forth on what the warranay company would be responsible for... The dealer had my car for 1 week, I get the car back yesterday, told I got a new compressor along w/ other parts of the motor that needed to be repaired and guess who has warm air blowing out of their air conditioner again??? Hubby is going back to the dealer... I know it's not the dealer's fault, but someone needs to get this right.... I had a 1998 CRV and never had this issue, that's why I went back to one....
  • ohiokarenohiokaren Member Posts: 3
    Update to earlier post- I have done so much research over this issue since this happened to us and we have come to the unfortunate conclusion that the worst part of this fiasco is it doesn't matter who fixes the AC or what is replaced, or how much money we throw at it, the AC is just going to stop working again at some point down the road. Oh, how I wish I knew the percentage of CRV owners with repeat failures, since there are numerous posts from owners who had the entire AC system replaced by Honda and still had a repeat failure. Went back to the class action lawsuit website, looked closer, and at the top of the registration form for Civic tire problems there is a link that takes you to the registration form for CRV AC problems. And no, I don't think this is going to be some miracle that will just fix everything. The last time we had the CRV serviced at Honda the service manager told me we would get 200,000 miles out of it. He didn't mention it would be without AC. Hope this helps someone else.
    it seeems we're so many of us frustrated w this issue...let's all sign a petition and send it to Honda of America...and boycott CRV's. if the new model ones have same problem we should inform "Consumer's Report" so others don't fall into the same problem...
  • vtcruzervtcruzer Member Posts: 3
    Hi, me too from Vermont. 2004 CR-V, 84K, found "used" compressor for $300, another $300 to install, no AC. Wish I saw this thread a couple weeks ago but probably still woulda tried the fix. Gonna fill out complaint form tho', whathehell.
  • bobscbobsc Member Posts: 1
    My experience with 2004 Honda CRV - original equipment compressor lasted 4 years; 1st replacement (not from a Honda dealer) lasted 15 months; 2nd replacement (not from a Honda dealer) lasted 20 months. I am now facing a 3rd replacement. Four compressors in 7+ years. Honda has a serious design problem - original equipment and replacement market. After the original equipment compressor failed, Honda America said they would consider a "good will" warranty payment for a portion of my 1st replacement cost but they eventually refused. The sad part of this (and it is my fault), I purchased a 2009 Honda CRV.
  • stumpzstumpz Member Posts: 2
    My wife's CR-V seems like it is not cooling out of the blue. I this an '07 problem as well??
  • pelunapeluna Member Posts: 1
    We have a '07. Same problem. Very expensive!
  • shellie060703shellie060703 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Be glad its only in the 90s where you are. I am in Texas and its 105 here. My compressor already busted, and now the there is a valve that is having to be replaced for the THIRD time. This is completely not worth the hassle.

Also, here is the link for the class action lawsuit for the A/C

http://www.newjerseyclassactionlawyer.net/honda-cr-v-tsx-and-odyssey-ac-defects/-