Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• jwpt03jwpt03 Posts: 3
    first-time post here. I didn't know about this issue with the CR-V until my AC went out Saturday, 05/30/2009. I work as a Home Health Nurse here in Las Vegas and everything was fine until I was finished visiting my 2nd patient and after turning the AC on, warm air started coming out. It was working just fine after I left home and after my 1st patient. I never heard any clunking or noise or any other warning signs. Since it's a Saturday, I waited to have it fixed today, Monday 06-01-2009 and after waiting 2.5 hrs from the dealership, was told about the problem and that it would cost me $2850 to have it fixed! I just had the HEPA and engine filters replaced a month ago. After refusing to have it done today, I immediately went home and researched about any similar problems related to my 03 CRV. And here I went, found this forum and was very shocked to find out about AC compressor problem with the car I thought was indestructible. I called the 1-800 number and was given a case# and was told to wait for 1-2 business days to get a response from the Regional Service Supervisor. Was polite and calm talking to them. Am hoping to get a good news (which may be unlikely) but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. This is just a bummer! Never had my 03 CRV touched by any repair shop except for Honda dealerships and never missed a beat with scheduled maintenance either. I have 77,780 miles on my car since 09-2003.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Please keep us updated and let us know what they tell you.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • meridgemeridge Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 CR-V and my compressor also seized up and failed two weeks ago. I only have 55,000 miles on the car. The first quote I got was $2,200 to fix. Just got back from the second quote, about the same amount. This guy was convinced that the first garage that looked at it got it wrong...he's never seen this happen with Honda's before. Well, now that I see this forum, I see he's wrong. This is my third Honda, never had an A/C problem with them before, and had close to 200K miles on each of the last two. It will be my last Honda if they don't do something about this.

As far as the person claiming this is "user error," I've been driving for 30 years, multiple cars over the years, never had one single A/C problem until this CR-V.issue.
  • madams1madams1 Posts: 101
    Did the dealer actually look at the vehicle before giving you the price? Is it not possible that the compressor goes out and will not need the 'extra' work that the dealers are saying?
  • beyondoilbeyondoil Posts: 15
    It depends on how the compressor fails. Some just loose freon through a failed seal and this allows one to just replace the compressor. When the bearings fail and the compressor breaks apart it gets pieces of metal throughout the whole system and these are the cases that are really expensive to repair. The condenser is a radiator that is in front of the regular radiator and the evaporator is another smaller radiator inside the dash of the car. Also all the lines have to be replaced to get all the metal out of the system.

Regards,

Daniel :sick:
  • jweaver5jweaver5 Posts: 1
    WOW...Not what I wanted to hear. I've got a 2001 Honda CRV SE that we purchased brand new. Two days ago, I was accelerating up hill when I heard and aloud clunk/thud. Upon inspection, I found shrapnel all over the front of the engine compartment and the compressor/condenser was suspect with a large gaping hole. Like you I was hoping to just replace the compressor and charge the system. Considering the cost of repair…I believe I’ll just get rid of the booger. Its funny that there are so many sites referencing CRVs AC compressors as being poorly made.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    My father-in-law had his 2001 compressor go out a couple of years ago. He bought his very late in the model year, right before the 2002 came out. He got help from Honda.

Was yours a late model 2001?
  • tabanowatabanowa Posts: 7
    My 2004 CRV has 73,000 mi on it. Yes - someone else said it sounded like the engine was ceasing - that's what I thought too, but saw there were no engine warning lights on or anything, so I tried turning turning the AC off, and the car ran fine. But if I tried turning on the AC, it would just make that terrible noise and kill the engine. Took it in today and they told me the compresser is shot, and you have to replace all the hoses, basically the whole system because the shrapnel spreads throughout the whole thing - $3000. I called the 1-800 Goodwill Assistance number and got a case #, was told to wait 1-2 days for response.

Meanwhile, my dealer called and got them to agree to pay for 75%. Unfortunately, that leaves $750 for me, which is pretty much my life savings at this point. My car does have 73,000 miles on it, so I'm told 75% is a very good deal. The dealer told me it really helped my case that I brought the car in recently for 60,000 mi service (paid $350 for that). Sure wish I could get 100% covered, or pay only $200-250 like some others here have. I'm going to fight for that...
  • jpettibonejpettibone Posts: 51
    Be glad you're getting anything. I did all my service at the dealer, had 10,000 more miles on an '04, and got nothing. I would have gladly paid $750.
  • lening99lening99 Posts: 4
    My 2003 CRV air conditioning had the system failure last week at 45,000 miles.
    Repair was estimated at $2800 for complete system replacement. I called American Honda and was given a case number. Today I received a call back and was denied any finacial assistance toward the repairs. Honda claims it's my responsiblitiy and does not admit to any prior knowlege of other AC failures. I will be driving without AC from now on. I am in the market for a new car and it will NOT be a Honda. The CRV was my third and my last. It seems from this and other forums, that Honda stepped up to the plate for a while on this issue but now is taking advantage of the "bad economy" as an excuse to turn it's back on it's customers.
    Wow - that's unbelievable! I just was told 2 days ago that they'd cover 75% for my 2004 with 73,300 mi. I'm still waiting to actually talk to the guy at Goodwill to see if I can get closer to 100% (my dealer talked to them at got the 75%). But definitely, Hondas are not what they used to be! My car before this was a 2000 Honda Odyssey that had a defective transmission. It went out at 110,000 mi, but I was very lucky that they replaced it 100%.
    This is informal, but from reading the reports here, it seems like the cut off is at 5 years ('04) and up to 75k in mileage. Cross either of those borders, and you don't get help. I could understand large violations of those rules, but the people just on the other side are not getting help.

Also, the more I read of these reports, the more I think my Dealer was padding my bill by wanting to charge $3400 + $400 in tax. He was willing to cut it down to 3k as a "favor" to a reliable customer, but that's still above what others are being charged.
  • tombs31tombs31 Posts: 4
    You must not be hearing all of us. We can no longer trust "Honda". When the amount of mileage over the limit is consistantly less than 10%, the problem is real. To not admit it is a design flaw is to say it is designed to fail just past warranty. To the "Letter of The Law", accurate; to the "Spirit of The Law", not even close. To quote a 1.2% warranty claim figure in regard to this issue is a veer tactic. What is the % of failure under 85,000 miles. That would be a more appropriate reference. Compare that number to other brands. It is easy for a company to claim great products and customer service if the claim is not tested. To steal a quote, "They have been weighed, they have been measured, and they have been found wanting."
    The way you have phrased it you really are referring to a common denominator, not a variable. The common denominator is not the human (we all have different driving habits), it is the CR-V. The only constant in this situation is the CR-V. As you have stated, other models have not seemed to suffer the same problem. But I believe the compressor is not universal. The CR-V compressor is different from the other models units, as well as its location. Thus one would have to deduce it is a CR-V problem.
    Where in all these post did you come across a statement even resembling Honda "taking care of the problem. They are the people we all need to speak with. What ever they did we all need to do.
  • lorraylorray Posts: 6
    Hi I have a Honda CRV 2001 and the air conditioner just went out. This is the second time this has happened since I bought it brand new. I found out that I need a compressor etc and that there was also a large hole as well. It will cost me about $1,500 at the mechanic I go to. I will not take it to the Honda dealer as it will cost me so much more. I couldn't believe that other people are having this same problem. I love this car but not this problem and doubt I will get another CRV with this happening. Thanks and I'm sorry about the others out there having the same problem. Lorray
    Do a search for 100%, or $200 and you should find some.
    You should definitely call American Honda about this; especially since it's the second time and you bought it brand new!
  • lorraylorray Posts: 6
    Hello, thanks for your reply. I am going to do that. Especially since it is the second time. Have a good day. Lorray
  • w1johnw1john Posts: 6
    Hi folks, can anyone tell me if after the compressor fails the defrost and heater will continue to work? I have a 2004 CRV and concerned about this. Considering trading it in before it fails. Thanks!
  • amwjramwjr Posts: 4
    Thought I had read about this problem before, but can now speak from personal experience. Wife's '02 CR-V EX has been meticulously maintained, but went from excellent cooling yesterday to not functioning at all this morning. Unfortunately we were on vacation in Panama City, FL, and had a 5+ hour trip home today, with temps upwards of 98 degrees F. We have ~72K miles on the car. Will be calling our dealer tomorrow morning, looking for assistance. Daughter has a new '09 CR-V, and we've bought a couple of Accords, so we're going to play the loyalty card. Will post dealer response and estimated costs when available.
  • sailnmansailnman Posts: 1
    I just checked the VIN on my CRV and find it begins with a "J". I might add that I have owned 8 Hondas and this is the only one we've had serious a/c problems with.
  • amwjramwjr Posts: 4
    Mine also begins with the 'J.' (Reference #1139)
  • s_cs_c Posts: 1
    The same happened to me. I have a 2004 CRV. My dealer contacted Honda for me and got the price down from $5000 to $2900. The stupid car only worth about $8000 - $9000 now and I have to spend $2900 to fix it.

This is really a common issue with CRV, the dealer diagnosed my car said they see this happen very often. In fact they just negotiated a deal for a customer the day before, and there's another case on the same day I took my car in.

My family owns 3 Honda (civic, accord and my CRV). Very bad experience this time, guess I'll go with Toyota next time.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    guess I'll go with Toyota next time.

And they have engine sludge issue...

I guess, that leaves you with Buick then...
  • pamybpamyb Posts: 1
    I took my car to a Honda dealership to have my oil changed and the service professional told me that it was time to have my AC and Transmission serviced. :sick: I did not have the time or the money so I said that I would bring it back.

Well a week later the AC stopped blowing cold air. :surprise:

I took my car to my mechanic today and found out that the compressor (and something else) needs to be replaced and it would cost about $1400.00 :mad:

I guess I should have had the AC serviced when Honda suggested it in order to avoid this expensive hicup :cry:
    No matter than Blueyedgod says, it would not have helped. It's unrelated.
    I stand corrected. I must say though that it has been years since they stepped up to the plate.
  • dwkinseydwkinsey Posts: 11
    I bought my 2003 CR-V EX new in May 2003 and my VIN begins with S. I just moved to central Florida and my A/C stopped working without warning in February. I think I had about 65,000 miles on it at the time. I didn't know about this problem and apparently Honda has not issued any TSB about it either. I took it to my son who is a mechanic with his own shop, but he is about 1.5 hours away. He replaced the compressor, which took about 5 hours because of having to disassemble much of the engine to get to it. It lasted about 2 months and it stopped working again. I took it back to my son and found the compressor had a hole blown in it. He installed another new one, but it immediately got hot and nothing was going through the system, so he disconnected it and told me I have to replace the entire system, which I have not been able to do. I bought a Honda because it was supposed to be a reliable vehicle. I am very angry that a company like Honda would put a junk part like this in one of their vehicles and not recall it. What makes it so bad is not just the compressor failure, but that the compressor fails in such a way that it destroys the entire A/C system. There's no excuse for Honda's refusal to care for their customers.
  • early2early2 Posts: 1
    I have 2 Hondas, a 2004 Pilot and 2002 crv. Both are dealer maintained and in great condition. Last week the crv ac went 'pop' and the engine stalled. Took car (110,000 miles) to dealer and was qoted $3400 to 'replace the entire system, except the electrical.' I told them this was rediculous. They said because I was a regular and good customer they would contact Honda America to get some help on the price. Honda America wanted to reduce price by $1000. I said goodbye.
    Will be taking car to an ac shop where I was quoted $1400 to replace some components and flush out others (hoses, etc).
    I've owned many, many cars in my lifetime and never had a compressor explode like a "grenade" which is the way Honda service rep explained it.
    Will probably go Korean next time to get the 10yr, 100,000 mile warranty.