Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Making a partial adjustment is usually just as bad as doing nothing.

The customer still is bitter and thinks they have been wronged and in most cases the effort is unappreciated and is money thrown away by the company making the adjustment.

So much for stepping up to the plate and trying to do the right thing.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    new refrigerants...higher failure rates of

If that were true, we'd have AC Compressor discussions for every make and model.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,724
    Making a partial adjustment is usually just as bad as doing nothing.

While I agree a company making a partial "goodwill" gesture will often not get the same positive result from the customer as a full hearted "goodwill" gesture will, it often could be better than doing nothing at all.

Do nothing at all and you end up with customers like me who will rant and rave to anyone that will listen for the rest of their lives about NO GOOD company XYZ (In my case Chrysler/Dodge). That is a lot of negative publicity. Making a partial compromise might not retain the customer's loyalty, but it might buy neutrality, meaning the person will not ACTIVELY spread negativity about said company. They will be much more passive.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited September 2011
    Life is short...why bother ranting and raving especially to people who don't care?

Yes, sometimes making a compromise does work. Offering to split a bill for instance but in the recent case right here, Honda stepped up and paid 2/3 of a large bill and they STILL have a bitter, unhappy customer who says they will never buy another Honda!

This happens pretty often. So often that as a retail manager, I either gave them 100% or nothing.

I think maybe at first the offer to split a bill sounds fair but after htinking about it, talking to neighbors and friends or reading something in a forum they decide in their minds that whatever was done wasn't enough.

Go figure.
  • louloveloulove Member Posts: 11
    I don't know anything about cars; I didn't know how long anything on a car should last.

It was my DEALER, who sold me the car, serviced the car, who thought it was a premature failure and should have been covered 100%. I knew nothing about this potential problem. I've never posted anywhere else. Only through the dealer did I know anything about Honda helping with the problem. I was prepared to pay the full $3400 and just thought I was unlucky. I had to be INFORMED that it was a prevalent problem. Research backed up what I was told.

Due to everything that has been brought out here, I have changed my mind and I agree that Honda did help me out, and most of all, my dealer is the best, without them going to bat for me I would be truly in a fix. The real champion here is the dealer, not the car company as Honda would have done nothing for me if I had called them.

The place I will get the best trade is my Honda dealer and, as I already know after years and years, they go above and beyond when it comes to service and above all, they are KIND. Most dealers around here are $%#%#@ whether it's sales or service.

So I will be glad when the supply picks up and I can purchase a new Honda.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,724
    See, sometimes it just takes some time and a little blow off of steam to get to the bigger picture.

I continue to believe that companies that do right by their customers will continue to prosper and sustain, while companies that do not stand behind their products will either go bankrupt or get bailed out multiple times like Chrysler.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Wow, what a refreshing post!

Yes, ylou dealer could have said nothing and you would have been out 3400.00 but to their credit they really went to bat for you and they were able to convince Honda to help out in your case and they did!

Oh, Honda may have done something for you if you had called them yourself. I've seen them do this many times but who knows how much?

You sound like a loyal customer and a customer well worth fighting for!

Supplies are already starting to pick up. That earthquake really kicked them in the teeth!
  • gman06gman06 Member Posts: 11
    How do you know supplies are starting to pick up?

The comprehensive compilation of your post suggest that you are still connected to Honda in some fashion, other than that of a mere Honda vehicle owner, even though you are retired. Your strong affinity for Honda especially causes one to suspect that.

Do you mind stating what type of busy shop you ran?

Goodday
    I agree with you that companies that do the right thing by their customers instead of posturing for the largest monetary gain possible prosper in the long run.

And, if Honda sold cars with questionable compressors for a couple of years and then got a handle on the problem and indisputably corrected that problem, I would still consider them to be one of those elite, standup companies. I would continue to be one of their strongest advocates.

I cannot condone their record on this one.
    The Honda store where I worked for nearly 14 years is ten minutes from our house. I still have quite a few former co-workers that have become pretty close friends and we talk often. I do try to stay abrest of things and if a question comes up I can get a quick answer.

Not sure why you're asking but as I stated before, I managed the Auto Center of the busiest Sears store on the West Coast. In those days we did almost everything. Not like today when about all they do is sell tires and batteries and maybe do a brake job.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Just found out that the compressor is bad in my car with just over 32k on the clock. Will bring it to the dealer and see if they'll replace it or even help with the cost, as even though I've had the car since June of '06, the mileage is relatively low and the car has been drien pretty conservatively. Living in South Florida, I need the a/c to work all year round as we only have two seasons basically. Hopefully, Honda will do something. If not, I'll still have to fix the car and pay the $. But as I told Isell, I won't bash the company but I'll be annoyed and stop posting any feedback. I tend to be a positive person, so right now I'm hoping for the best solution for the problem. I've already documented the problem with Honda, once two weeks ago and last year when I 1st noticed a problem. Time will tell.

And one last thing, Isell has been in here for a long time and always tells it like it is and is a pretty cool guy...that's why I posed my question to him 1st. He's one of the good ones! I am,

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• darb0213darb0213 Member Posts: 4
    Okay, we finally heard from Honda America and they said they would cover, wait, wait, $286 of it. The dealership, who by the way we have not done any business with in the past for anything, said that was a horrible response and offered to make up the cost to even it out at $2500 being the cost instead of $3500. That was real nice of them, but very disappointed in Honda America.
    The shop next to the school I teach at said they could be able to do it for $1300 instead, so I will probably take it to them, get through the winter and trade it in for something like, a Toyota.
    My mom has a 2008 CRV and it just had a recall on it's transmissions. She also had to replace the tires after 25,000 miles previously and has had other mechanical issues with it. She was going to go get some more stuff done to it, but she has decided to trade it in now after all this with our CRV and her's.
    Honda's were great for a while, but now I think we are moving on without them.
  • chicagoishchicagoish Member Posts: 7
    Didn't Toyota just have a huge recall and serious problems with unwanted acceleration and deaths?
  • darb0213darb0213 Member Posts: 4
    Yes they did, and admitted to it and took care of it and their customers.
    Based on the prices both on the internet and the dealership, about $1800-$2000 is probably for the parts, and the rest is for the labor.

The poor folks at the dealership have to take the brunt of the customer's fury. I'm sure they have seen the sheer magnitude of the a/c system problems--I feel for all the mechanics and service managers as well as for the vehicle owners, like you and me.

I know you are appreciative of the dealership's offering to make it as right as they can, but I wouldn't blame you for taking it to the shop that would do the job for $1200.00 less.

I replaced my compressor and condenser (with new dryer included) for about $450.00. The parts were new from Oreilly Automotive and came with a lifetime warranty. But, I did the work myself as I do this for a living. The system was back-flushed very thoroughly. One cannot back-flush these condensers, though, due to their design. Some or most of the debris will stay trapped inside.

You and I have something in common with a lot of other people; we are very disappointed in Honda America.
    From what I read, it was all due to driver error, not a defect of a Toyota product! Funny how once the truth was discovered, the complaints suddenly vanished. I think Toyota changed the pedal design and tweaked the mats to show that they at least took the situation seriously. But Toyota was cleared of any wrong doing or poor design. Please do the research and let me know what you find out!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

It was sad to read and hear about the sheer number of greedy people or people that were hurting financially due to the economic downturn (whatever the case may be) that jumped on that bandwagon.

My memory of the account is the same as your memory and darb0213's memory of the account. It seems Toyota was mostly vindicated on this issue.
    Absolutely. Thanks for your post!!

• chicagoishchicagoish Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2011
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/09/opinion/09wed2.html

he study by NASA into Toyota’s electronics, which was ordered by Congress last year, confirms the traffic safety administration’s original determination that the acceleration problems that led to the recall of nearly eight million Toyota cars and trucks in 2009 and 2010 were mechanical, caused either by gas pedals snagging on floor mats or sticky gas pedals that didn’t retract when drivers released them.
    In the very same article:

"But in a separate study of Toyotas involved in accidents, the agency concluded that most cases of sudden acceleration were probably because of drivers stepping on the gas when they thought they were stepping on the brake".

Notice to vehicle drivers: The big pedal on the left is for braking (for standard transmission vehicles, the big pedal in the middle is for braking) and the small pedal on the right is for accelerating.

And I didn't care much for the author's statement that congress 'MUST' pass the bill to mandate brake override and event recorders. That would place the cost of any vehicle out of the range of most people's budgets and place an extraordinary burden on all automakers. It's fine to state that as opinion, but he or she should not have used the word 'MUST' in that context.

The one thing the author is correct about is that Toyota should not have dragged their feet so long before issuing a recall concerning the floor mat interference. It was an easy fix and could have saved a lot of problems for them down the road.

It's quite telling that the author's name is not listed with his/her article.
    edited October 2011
    Per Wiki "Editorials are usually unsigned and may be supposed to reflect the opinion of the periodical."

Here's the editorial staff at the NYT.

The Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall is active again for more Toyota talk.

Now that Fall is officially here, we'll see if CR-V AC compressor complaints fall off a bit (until defrost season kicks in).
    Where should I post the ongoing problem with my Civic's a/c compressor Steve?

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

Looks like this is the place:

Honda Civic Climate Control System
  • harrypielsharrypiels Member Posts: 7
    Like many in here, I replaced my '03 air conditioning unit and I only wish that were my only costly repair. I also forked over nearly $700.for a new alternator, and somewhere in the past I paid for a sensor ($400.). Then there was an engine mount bushing of some sort, and lately, both front and rear brakes went. That would be fair wear but get this.... after my $200.+ brakes were installed, there was a failure of another brake-related part within two months that required that the original barakes be totally redone!! So my brakes ended up costing including the new rotors and labor, over $1000. Now, only a few months later, I have no heat. Almost without a doubt this is a heater core. There goes another grand plus ! Don't believe the bull in consumer mags about Honda's wonderful repair record. My CRV is without doubt the most expensive car I ever bought. Bye bye Honda !
  • hondaburnedhondaburned Member Posts: 1
    My A/C compressor seized and after 1 week without a/c and several days on the phone with Honda dealership and Honda Corp. I am out a diagnosis fee of $67 and although Honda Corp agreed to pay for 50% of the cost, after the discount it would cost me $1,049 and my local reliable mechanic quoted $998 without a reduction.
  • compressorx2compressorx2 Member Posts: 3
    My 2004 CRV blew up its compressor twice in 2 1/2 years. The first time it was under warranty, the second time Honda wanted to charge $3200 and then, they said they were doing me "a favor" and gave me a 50% discount. I had it done somewhere else for $950, but still too much money to pay for a defective product from Honda. I would like to be reimbursed and compensated for all the time and aggravation, all that I went through with Honda trying to get the problem fixed.

I just received a notice of a class action suit for Honda compressors or condersers
    Civil Action No.: 2:08-cv-4825 (KSH)(PS)

Is it worth it to filll out the form and send it in? Will I be getting any financial compensation that is worth the trouble? Will there be any other legal consequences for me in doing so?

I have never filed a claim before.

I would appreciate any responses.
    I learned a valuable lesson last month when I asked Honda Corp. to pay for my a/c issue...I asked for the full amount to be refunded but they offered 1/2 and I was happy to take it. They didn't have to do anything since I was out of warranty but they stepped up anyways. They also paid for 1/2 my 2nd set of tires due to a defective parts problem...on that situation though, I should've got the whole amount but since I didn't keep the worn tires...who knew, they only gave me 1/2. Still think they got away with it, as there was a TSB about it and they did replace both defective parts. But hey, life goes on.

My point here is, if you don't ask for something...you don't get anything. So go ahead and fill out the paperwork, send it in & see what happens. For the little effort you need to put forward, you could get something great in return. So, go for it!

Mr. Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

I don't consider it any favor when a company makes good on defective parts. Honda obviously had a problem with the A/C of those vehicles which should have been recalled. I did get help from them to fix my A/C, but still had to pay over $500. Now it looks like I'm headed for a big bill again since I have no heat. If it's a valve, I can expect to pay almost $400. If it's the heater core, almost $1400 ! I might expect expensive repairs with a Mercedes or Jaguar, but Honda dealers must be mining gold too. Most repairs aren't even guaranteed for over a year...that sucks !
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    I got the same notice, today....

Didn't really look it over, though.... as I sold mine in 2008, and never had the compressor problem.

If you've already paid for the repairs, long ago... don't see how it could hurt to send it in... What do you have to lose?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• honda03crvhonda03crv Member Posts: 1
    We had the same problem. Honda gave us a quote for approximately $3000 and then reduced it to approximately $1500 when we contacted Honda customer service.

We did not go through with the repair--to expensive and only a one year guarantee.

Today, I contacted the lawyers' customer service line and was told if you did not actually have the repairs done--that it is possible to file an objection.
  • oathoath Member Posts: 7
    I got the notice on Friday, and mailed it back with a copy of my receipts and a letter of explanation yesterday. I keep excellent records. My compressor and all what came with it was replaced twice. The first time it was under warranty and 5 years later it wasn't.
  • sissytoosissytoo Member Posts: 21
    I have also had my air conditioner replaced twice. Less than two years ago, it went out and I had it repaired to the tune of $850. Then, less than a month later, had to have it in yet again, the compressor was bad. At least didnt have to pay but was a huge inconvenience. Then, last summer, it went out again. I was not going to fix it although I really needed the air. Then, as I was coming back from a trip to pick up my grandson for vacation time together, the compressor locked up on me and I was stuck on the side of the road for over 4 hours. This time was well over $1200. This is ridiculous.
  • crvdude1crvdude1 Member Posts: 47
    I am wondering how many people who have/had this 'a/c compressor' issue on their V will buy another CRV, especially 2012 model, or any Honda product again? :confuse:
  • gwmsgwms Member Posts: 3
    I've got an 02 CRV I'm likely to turn over to my daughter in the spring. I have 72K on it and can tolerate a $1k hit for a compressor down stream but if I had to do it twice... I'm wondering what to do with my next vehicle and whether a 3rd or 4th generation CRV ought to be in the mix.
    That's a good question," dude." I'm faced with a possible heater core problem. I took it to a Honda dealer and now they have me over a barrel...is it the valve or the heater core? Maybe they want to put them both in to the tune of about $1800? Not this cowboy...Don't know how many would buy a new'V,' I love the way mine handles, but I'd look hard at the new GMC Terrain. Maybe with GMC I wouldn't face $1000. repairs every few months. And,as someone noted, one year on new repairs shows how little confidence they have in their parts.
  • ktreadawayktreadaway Member Posts: 3
    I paid a good local mechanic 650.00 to flush, change dryer desicant (a sock), put new compressor in and recharge. My son drives the car in college. He said the 4 wheel drive really helps in winter months and I am glad he can defog the windows now. I think that led to the recall by Honda it pissed me off that they didn't help with my 02 model. But I know my son is safer for fixing it. They are good cars just fix it. I did! ;)
    My CRV EX 2002 is turning 10 on December 18th with almost 150,000 miles. Aside from the AC it keeps running. This is my 3rd Honda and when this one dies I'll most probably buy another one.
  • runr89runr89 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

We just got hit with an estimate of over 1500$ for an air compressor issue. We were advised by the service rep to look into this class action suit. You indicate here that you 'got the notice and mailed back your receipts'. Can you tell me where you got the notice and how I can obtain one? Thank you.

Timothy D. McCauley
    Tim: Alin Litigation Settlement Administrator, P.O. Box 8014 Faribault MN 55021-9414
  • danemmydanemmy Member Posts: 1
    I want to fill out my settlement claim form but I don't have the compressor replacement part number. I had the "compressor core plus clutch assembly" replaced back in 2005 by my local service guy (not Honda) and he didn't write down then replacement part number. All I know is the price ($788.18). I've looked online, but have not been able to get a useable number. Will try going back to the service guy - but what if he can't provide me with the correct info. Am I out of luck?

Thanks for any help. Would love to be able to get some of my $$ back.
  • vivianzkvivianzk Member Posts: 1
    I started this topic with the first inquiry. We still have that Honda CR-V, with over 100,000 miles. We have had to put 3 AC's into it, but only had to pay for 2, all by our local mechanic and not the Honda dealer. After I got the refund notice last month, it got me wondering what happened here. Well it is still going. It doesn't look like we will get a lot of money back, but hopefully some. I am glad something is being done, but it took way too long.
    Vivian Z
    Six years and 2,000 posts later, it does finally seem like the problem is going away. Activity has slacked off. Then again, it's the dead of winter.

Funny to go back to the first few posts and read "Very few of these cause problems." Funny, unless you're an owner and your AC goes out.
  • dj1192dj1192 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2003 CRV with 58,700 miles, A/C works fine...did they rework the compressor or re-design it? I'm thinking if so maybe I should just replace the original BEFORE it implodes causing all the issues I'm reading about.
  • shima1shima1 Member Posts: 19
    No such luck. It's a ticking bomb and the replacement has the same fatal flaw.
    It's immoral for Honda to have done this for 6 years.

Over 2K posts on thisforum but many more thousands on many other forums.
  • lrd5530lrd5530 Member Posts: 10
    I just replaced the compressor at 97K. Haven't read everything on the class action, but it doesn't seem like I will get anything reimbursed since the mileage is over 96K. Has anyone had any success getting reimbursed? Are the replacements at the same risk? Any help would be appreciated
  • sissytoosissytoo Member Posts: 21
    I've had mine fixed twice. The first time, the air compressor just quit. I work in an office and hate going to work in dress clothes and no air, is hot here, so i fixed it. The second time, it actually locked up and tore the belt off, leaving me and my grandson stranded on the freeway.
  • lrd5530lrd5530 Member Posts: 10
    sissytoo -How long did the first replacement last before you had to replace it? Mine just stopped working, didn't lock up. But I was told the defroster wouldn't work and it had the potential to lock up, so I replaced it. Couldn't see driving without the defroster.
  • shima1shima1 Member Posts: 19
    Are the replacements at the same risk? Yes. It's criminal.
    I replaced mine twice. The first time fron the Honda Dealer in 2005 when it was under warranty and the 2nd time from a local mechanic in 2010 because Honda wanted to replace the whole system again instead of the compressor alone. By then it wasn't under warranty.

I did get the form to fill out about the lawsuit. I filled it out, sent my receipts even though I don't think I'll get anything since my car was over 100,000 miles when it occurred the 2nd time. I now have 154,000 miles on my CRV and still going strong 10 1/2 years (2002 model) later.

I love my CRV.