Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• lori56lori56 Posts: 19
    Did anyone who experienced a/c problems have an extended warranty, Honda Care? Shouldn't it cover these expenses?
  • madams1madams1 Posts: 101
    I have not yet experienced the problem, but the Honda Care warranty would cover if you were still within the mileage and time period. I misjudged our mileage when we bought Honda Care on our 2003 CRV and ran out due to time not mileage. Still kicking myself for not getting the 7 year/100k instead of 5 year/100k. The difference in price is not much at all.
  • lori56lori56 Posts: 19
    Could someone comment of the VIN numbers? Some CRV's are totally made in Japan; others are asssembled in Ohio and, I think, Mexico. Some engines are US. I'd like to know if there's any difference in quality; i.e., that is, do the Japanese models have fewer problems? (I've got a 2004 Rav4 made in Japan, and absolutely no trouble with it.) I want to buy a CRV as a second vehicle, and very few come from Japan... Thanks!
  • My understanding, strangely enough, is that in this case it's the Japanese models that have more problems. Mine was a J model, as is most if not all of those who have reported problems. Search the thread for this- it's been discussed before.
  • w1johnw1john Posts: 6
    SHSR VINs are just likely to fail. The bottom line is all 2002-2006 CR-Vs were installed with KEIHIN A/C compressors, and eventually they will all fail. As of tomorrow I will have sold my CR-V and have mixed emotions about it, but at least I don't have to worry about when it will fail and how much it will cost. Shame on Honda for not recalling this faulty part! Next vehicle will be a Toyota.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    We have a 2006 CRV and the compressor blew up internally. Whole system needs replacement to the cost of $3565.13. Technician explained that there would be fragments inbedded in the rubber hoses and if they replaced the compressor the fragments could work loose and damage the new compressor. We live in Southern Arizona so AC is important. Car has 51600 miles and is just outside of the warranty period. Called Honda America and got a case number and just waiting to hear back.

I think you are the first with Gen 2.5. There was a mid model redesign in 2005, which supposed inluded the redesigned system.

Was yours made in the Japan? Look at the VIN number and if the first digit is "J" then it is Japan, "S" is for UK.
  • My 2003 CRV blew the AC system at only 45,000 miles, and I live in the northeast and rarely used it. This CRV was assembled in the UK.

I am saying "no" to any more Hondas.
  • As previously posted, I was denied via phone twice any help from American Honda with my AC problem. They did, however, respond to a fax that I sent them (another rejection). I've taken to refaxing my letter on a daily basis, I suggest everyone with a blown AC system do the same.

American Honda sustomer service fax:
    (310) 783-3023
  • sp03sp03 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Honda Crv with 75,789 miles...extended warranty ended at 75K. My car shook and then stalled when the compressor exploded. Damage $4,500!! American Honda offering to pay 1/2....I feel like they should pay for all the parts, as there is an obvious defect. Unsure if I should get "tuff" with them or if that will end the offer they have made. This is a RECALL item! Honda is making money off of us because of their faulty parts, its criminal! If anyone has tried getting tuff with honda let me know if it worked for you. I hate to be a witch but if thats the only way...i plan to threaten to contact: Center for Auto Safety, Council of Better Business Bureaus, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (Office of Defects Investigation), My State Attorney General, Consumer Reports and the current class action lawsuit honda-lawsuit.com.
  • I have a 2007 Honda CR-V with 45,000 miles on it. So far i've had differential problems at under 20,000 and now the AC isn't working. At first the dealership said i had no problem other then I ran out of freon. So they recharged the AC and two weeks later it ran out again. Another refill but this time with a dye to show any leaks. I was to return in a week and when I did I was told there wasn't a leak. Okay, and now another two weeks has past and my AC only blows warm air. With my extended warranty in hand I was told they have no record of me having this warranty. I have an appointment soon and I plan on insisting they honor the contract. It's the Platuim plan 7yrs/70,000 miles and cost 1,600.00. This is the first time I have bought a new car and I trusted Honda's reputation. Sure wish I'd chosen Toyota like my friends did. They haven't had a single issue yet.
  • jc5462jc5462 Posts: 2
    it starts with a "J"

Still no reply from Honda, but after reading a lot of what is on here and on "Topix" I will be fighting with them like a mongoose on a cobra if they deny any assistance. I also saw there is a class action suit going on.
    I have a 2004 Honda Crv with 75,789 miles...extended warranty ended at 75K. My car shook and then stalled when the compressor exploded. Damage $4,500!! American Honda offering to pay 1/2...

At 75,789 miles you car is still under the extended warranty coverage. Honda admitted that its odometers were not precise and allow for 5% error. Your Extended warranty coverage ends at 75,000 miles + mileage at delivery (should be in the paperwork) + 3750 or approximately around 78,750 + mileage at delivery.

http://www.hondaodometerclassaction.com/

Do people live under a rock? or not check their mail?
  • Wow, and this is not evidence of poor engineering at honda? Not to mention the fact that they had to be sued to admit it? I suspect they are simply waiting for a successful lawsuit to admit the compressor issue too.
  • jo27jo27 Posts: 7
    Ok folks... had my compressor replaced last week... after having system tested.. leaks found, etc.. so $1500 on my 2004 CRV.. paid off in June and turned 90k today on the odometer... and I was back at my dealer today less than 2 weeks later... A/C is cool but noticed in the past 2 days that its' not driving smoothly.... feels sluggish... like you would going up a hill and not having the power cause the A/C is on. this occurs while driving on the highway at 75mph...and also found it when driving around town. Has anyone else experienced this sluggishness with their NEW compressor? I'm so not happy today. I got a loaner from my dealer but I want it fixed.. It never drove like this with the A/C on and the original compressor...So far they haven't found anything.. thoughts people.... has this happened to you? Anything to help please.
    Wow, and this is not evidence of poor engineering at honda? Not to mention the fact that they had to be sued to admit it? I suspect they are simply waiting for a successful lawsuit to admit the compressor issue too.

All vehicle odometers are off by as much as 10%. It just happens that Honda has the money to pay the hungry lawyers. Check out the "fees" section of a lawsuit and you will see that lawyers are the only ones who benefit from class actions.
  • Do you have any information on the class action lawsuit against Honda? My 2004 CRV now has had its 2nd AC system go out. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  • Previously had a 2004 CRV, air conditioning went out at about 50,000 miles. paid $2,500 for replacement. but loved the car otherwise and even bought another CRV (2006 with about 80,000miles on it). today the air conditioning stopped working. not sure i want to spend thousands to get it replaced. but feel stupid for buying the 2nd CRV when the it's the same problem...
  • I too am getting the run around from Honda America over an Air Compressor that failed at 70,000miles. Does the class action suit cover honda civic hybrids or just CRVs? If it does cover the hybrids, how do I join in, and who out there has gotten relief from honda without taking such measures?
  • Have 2006 Honda CRV with 88,000 miles on it. Last week air conditioner STOPPED. Had previously had 2004 CRV and same thing happened at about 50,000 miles. Had system replaced for same reasons everyone else has talked about on these sites to the tune of 2,500 dollars. Had the 2004 for about another year and then traded in on 2006. Didn't realize it was a systemic problem.

Called Honda USA today and was told it was not covered under any recall or program and that it was all on my dime to get it fixed. Customer service guy was clearly reading from a script, though he did leave the phone on hold for a few minutes "to get additional information".

Told him I'd had 2 cars with the very same issue, had done some basic internet research and found that there are thousands of folk with same issue and that I was very dissappointed about how Honda USA was refusing to even acknowledge issue. He just re-read the script about "unfortunately this is not covered by any warranty after 36,000 miles and any repairs would be my responsiblity."
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,793
    "Did anyone who experienced a/c problems have an extended warranty, Honda Care? Shouldn't it cover these expenses? "

My father in law had his 2001 (late model) CR-V compressor blow, and it was covered under the Hondacare warranty.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,189
    Probably best to dump it. AC is one of those things that seems difficult to fix right unfortunately. :lemon:

So much for the myth of superior Honda Japanese engineering. Maybe one day people will wake up and not spend elevated prices for their vehicles. When the boards get filled with AC, tranny, differential etc. problems, you gotta start wondering if its smart to buy a Honda any more???
  • I'm having the EXACT same problem. I had my air conditioner compressor replaced and it was fine for the last 1 1/2 years....until the last month or so. AC still cold, but I have this sluggishness. I also have a rough idle that just developed today. The car actually stalled when I went to make a turn, so now I'm taking it in Tuesday. Did they figure out what it is? I thought maybe the idle needed adjusting or it was the transmission, but now you have me thinking it is related to the ac.
    the dealer had the car for about a day... I took it for a ride with the mechanic and got on 95 north - went up hill and had the pedal to the floor - definately how my CRV handled... she's a 5 speed and has no problem going up hills but the a/c on, I had no power... felt like the vehicle was tugging... They drove it without me that afternoon and many times the following day but weren't getting the same feel that I was with the sluggishness. They ended up flushing the coolant and recharging the system. They seemed to think there was too much pressure from when the new compressor was installed and the coolant flushed and recharged. This seemed to resolve my issues. Since it's been 1 1/2 years for you, I'm not sure if this is the same thing. Good luck! I just know that at 90k on this vehicle, it BETTER last another 5 years with THIS new compressor... Or I will be fighing Honda on this sooner than later.
  • My 2003 Honda was purchased in June of the same year. In the summer of 2005 at 36,000 miles, the a/c system blew up sending metal shards all throughout the hoses in the vehicle and rendering them replaceable. Fortunately, I had purchased the extended warranty and only had to pay a $50.00 deductible, but Honda did try to get me to pay for the damaged hoses, I didn't. In the hot hot summer in 2007 @ 76,000 miles, the air conditioning system blew up again same as before. Again, I only had to pay the $50.00 deductible as my extended warranty kicked in. In the summer of 2008, the motor blower had to be replaced so I had no a/c again. That was also replaced under extended warranty. Well Lo and behold, what happens in September 2009 @ 115,000 miles, the a/c system blows up again. When I contacted Honda corporate, I was told "they are very strict about mileage". As far as I am concerned mileage has nothing do do with this, obviously this is a defective system or part that is doing damage to the entire a/c system. I too find the vehicle to be sluggish when the a/c is on. The main reason I had purchased this model was because of all the positive feedback I received from other Honda owners. Sorry now that I listened. Guess I will be going back to Toyota. Have a 91 corolla that runs like a top. I am sure that Honda will try and beat me down on this as my extended warranty has expired. I was given an estimate of $3265.00. I know they are kidding. I wanted my next vehicle to be the Honda Pilot, but that never will happen now.
    Looking forward to anymore feed back and thank you to every body for all of the info.
    dann7
  • I have 2004 Honda CRV. AC burnt down. Paid dealer $65 for diagnosis. Dealear stated that AC got debris in it and need whole replacement. Cost $3200.
    I called Honda Moter Company. They refuse tocover it. Vehicle has 67k miles on it.
    It seems like common problem. Is there any site that helps on it?
  • The VIN on my 2003 CR-V begins with SHSR. This is a terrible injustice that Honda can make lemons and never have to recall or compensate the customer. I assuredly will NEVER buy a Honda again and will try to convince anyone I know who wants a Honda to stick with Toyota.

Thanks for the info on VIN's
  • There is a pending class action lawsuit that you can participate in if you were affected by the A/C compressor defect.
    http://www.honda-lawsuit.com/
    Thanks for the info. on the class action suit. I will make sure I have all my doci and will do this ASAP. It can't hurt if ALL of us respond. My CRV is a 2004 and has 90k on it... just paid off and I hope to NOT have to go thru a 2nd compressor during the next 90k that I own this vehicle. Thanks again.
  • 74,500 miles. About 2 weeks ago paid over $500 to have the front O2 sensor replaced at the dealer. Today A/C bit the dust. Don't know exactly what the problem is but will find out tomorrow and the cost. I cannot believe all the problems with the A/C in these vehicles. Had I known, would have never purchased one. Am most disappointed. Will post later the details but from the sound it made I am concerned. It is hot in Texas in the summer. :mad:
  • Can you give me any info on the class action suit. A/C blew up today in my 2004 Honda CRV. Have only 74,500 miles on it. Garage kept, oil changes and maintenance as required. Never saw this coming. :mad: