Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• nlv1nlv1 Posts: 28
    Hehehe, at least FL still has more than a decade left by your calculation. The way your city is losing its population, you may be the only one there in a few years. Maybe its time to reconsider other places too. Just a thought... ;)
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Hehehe, at least FL still has more than a decade left by your calculation. The way your city is losing its population, you may be the only one there in a few years. Maybe its time to reconsider other places too. Just a thought...

I actually live in Amherst, 3rd populous center in NY state, I believe. At one point Amherst was the safest large town in the whole country for many years, but dropped to No.3 after some religious zealot shot an abortion doctor.

As far as I know, population of Amherst has been growing. So, I am not worried about me being the only person in town. With Geico having moved its Long Island operations to Amherst, as well as Citibank, and now Yahoo (in Lockport) I am pretty sure that in-sourcing is what is going to keep the population growing.

By the way, even though you are too affraid to fill out your profile, and think you can hide behind the annonymity of the internet, I can see that you are writing from the city on the Buffalo Bayou.

So... how's the hurricane outlook for this year?

How does it feel rasiing a 4 year old in the 46th crime ridden city in the country?

Internet is not as annonymous as you may think. We do a lot of business with the oil companies in Houston, so, we may run into each other, one day :)
    No, you are a blue eyed goddess. Cause a 6-foot person driving a mini/cute SUV, trying hard to be manly looking would look like a goddess (not referring to other tall persons driving this car, this is just for him and his attitude). You can add on all the gadgets you want to your 2005, they won't add to your manliness or lack of it. We have automatics and a manual and I learned to drive a stick shift years before an automatic, each type has its pros and cons. It doesn't make me feel less of a man when I drive an auto. Only persons with inferiority issues should feel that way.

Sorry, just can't resist, this is the 2nd time I've seen this from the goddess... Now back to the compressor issues...

Actually, I really wanted the HR-V, but Honda never brought it here. A Civic with AWD would have been fine with me. I don't need a large vehicle to compensate for anything. Before moving to Buffalo I drove a number Civics and was very comfortable.

CR-V is the smallest of the vehicles in Honda line up that offers AWD. Had SHAWD beed avaialable on the TSX, I would have gladly bought that.

I have no inferiority complex, nor have the need to compensate for anything. I just see things as they are, without being politically correct.

Automatic were invented to attract the female buyers, and any male, short of a cripple, driving an automatic is essentially equal to wearing a dress. But, we don't judge in this country, everyone is entitled to do whatever makes them happy.

I also ride, and with the advent of automatic motorcycles, no man with a automatic bike will be allowed no where near a motorcycle rally, or any motorcycle oriented gathering. Only women are allowed in clubs with automatic bikes. But, most choose not to.
    Sorry, didn't mean it that way. Should have said "Adonis"!

Actually, it's Apollo.

Not exactly. The average elevation of Florida is 98.43 feet - above sea level.

Not according to the GPS in the car, and it is pretty accurate when it comes to elevations.

Driving the length of I-95 only bridges and some patches were above the sea level, everything else was either at or below sea level.
    So, what's your point? The complaints here are about a car part prematurely breaking down. If your heater broke down in the winter and your car only has below-average miles, won't you raise the issue with Honda?

If it is out of warranty, I would call Honda corporate and see what they can do. If nothing, I would suck it up and replace it my self.

It is all about being a man, and men when faced with challenges don't run crying to their mommy (lawyer in this case), but do what men do.

Fix it and get on with their lives.
  • misarmisar Posts: 1
    I am thinking seriously about buying a 2010 CR-V when it hits the dealer, but since I like to keep a car a long time I am conerned about the AC compressor problem. Has Honda stopped using the faulty compressor on 2009 and /or 2010 CR-Vs? If not I think I will be looking at other makes.
    I don't think the OP mentioned anything about a lawyer in this case. The forum was started for a reason so people are using it to vent.

Fix it and get on with their lives.

I believe that's what the owners are doing whether they've been helped partially, 100%, or not at all. You're not the only man (or woman) here...
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Not according to the GPS

According to WolframAlpha: http://www17.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=florida+average+elevation

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    But, we don't judge in this country, everyone is entitled to do whatever makes them happy.

You hit the nail on the head! I think you always need to keep your statement in mind, because your bias shows your narrow-mindedness. :sick:
    Again your i***cy shows through again. If you just made a search on "nlv1", it will show you that we've exchanged banters before, and on one message (CR-V vs. Escape forum) I did say we live in Houston. It was in 2005, and you were chastising everyone who bought a CR-V with 2WD. And raising a 5-yr old in Katy (a Houston suburb), is just fine.

So again, before you put your foot in your mouth, think before you speak, or write. Will look forward to running into you later...
  • jpettibonejpettibone Posts: 51
    Guys and Gals,

All this talk about the elevation of Florida, while very entertaining, is taking away from the record of Honda's poorly designed and engineered AC system. This is the first place most people on the 'net come when they search this topic, so let's try to keep it informative and on topic. Off topic posts will just limit the impact of the myriad of stories catalogued here.

BTW, BlueEyedWhatever's suggestion to move out of Florida if AC is a requirement rather than admit that the AC should simply work was farcical, and worthy of a good laugh.
  • amwjramwjr Posts: 4
    Took CR-V to local dealer last Saturday, had it checked, and was told mine was the 'catastrophic' failure that contaminates the entire system with debris. Service Writer volunteered to call American Honda for me, as he had seen this failure before. He did warn me, however, that AH had begun to tighten the purse strings with respect to customer assistance because of the economic downturn. Received follow-up call Monday afternoon. AH denied my request. Said I'd get no support, but they would only charge me "warranty cost" of $2600. I called AH later that day, and all I could get was a "we honor our field rep's decisions." Anyone know of another level of appeal? Have you been successful, or did you get the same response? I also called 3 other Service Managers yesterday (1 in NC; 2 in Ga) and all said Honda had a problem with A/C's. All also essentially said it was discouraging and embarassing to be on the receiving end of AH's recent rejections. They, too, thought Honda was better than this. Any ideas, short of driving the '95 Olds '88 my father-in-law left me, whose A/C works just fine???
    I believe it has been fixed, but it's a bit too early to know for sure. Consumer reports shows that AC reliability increases sharply after the '05 year, and that coincides with the redesign of the CR/V.

If you can live with the engine, I still think the current CR/V is a great car, assuming it won't have AC issues. IMHOP, coming from the 2nd gen CR/V, I felt like they engineered some of the utility out of it, moving the balance more towards minivan and away from ute. Still, the interior quality is much improved, and it looks nice.
    I had the same issue as you two months ago, but I went through a month long appeal at the national level, with no results. The interaction has turned me off of Honda products for a while, if not for ever. My dealer quoted $3400 for the repair, and offered me a good customer discount to $3000 (all plus tax). I'm guessing they were still trying to make a profit off of me and $2600 is closer to the actual price. That's one more thing that makes me angry.

My first car cost less than what Honda wanted to repair the AC!
  • kimmie21kimmie21 Posts: 2
    After reading several posts, is it safe to assume that I don't have a chance to get help with my situation - my 2002 CRV compressor went out at 112,000 miles. I started reading older posts and had some hope that American Honda might help. Once I got to the more recent posts, I lost all hope.
    Isn't there anything that can be done????
  • bcorollabcorolla Posts: 9
    Gmlube1999,

Did you have the Honda Care Extended Warranty? I have a similar problem on my 2003 Honda CR-V. I have Honda Care so will they cover the whole bill?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    All this talk about the elevation of Florida...is taking away

Minor digressions are to be expected in any topic and scrolling past them should require little effort. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • madams1madams1 Posts: 101
    Based on what folks are saying lately, I doubt that you are going to get any assistance. I would go to an independent shop that specializes in Hondas and get an estimate. By the way did yours explode or just quit. That will make a difference in the price of the repair.

The shop I go to keeps a couple of CRV compressors in stock and sees a few each summer season, but so far he has not had one in that expoded.

Wish you the best on your repair.

By the way, mine is a 2003 with 88k and I have not had to replace my compressor yet. I am debating replacing the compressor now or just selling and getting another vehicle. I hate to sell it though since I love the versitility.
    I think Honda's past willingness set them selves up for people to get angry when they are denied coverage now. For some reaosn people expect perferction out of everyone but them selves.

So what if Joe got it covered. You are not Joe, you are Jim! Like my dad used to say, if everyone jumped off the bridge would you too?

Most children learn early in their lives that life is not fair, but I guess, a lot of people either forgot, or just don't want to face the reality.

Yes, it may not be fair that Joe got it covered 100% and Jim got 75%, while Kathy got no coverage. A lot of different factors go into determining who gets what level of coverage. But, we all know from the previous paragraph, by now, that life is not fair!

As to people not being able to afford the repair, come on! You are driving around in a $15,000-$20,000 vehicle, not a $600 rust bucket!!!

The tires for the CR-V run about $600, regular maintenance (oil, filter, differential, transmission, power steering, and brake fluid replacement) is probably another $500/year. If you financed, you are probably paying $350/month, which is $4200/year.... Obviously, you have the money to purchase a vehicle and to maintain it. And if it is so vital to have a functional A/C, then dig into the savings to pay for it.

It is generally recommended to haive 6-12 months of income in liquid savings. CR-V is priced along the lines of people making $50,000-$60,000/year, so every one of the CR-V owners should have $30,000 or more in their savings accounts.

Unless you are one of those that live beyond their means. Then, maybe, you should petition your congressman to bail you out of your A/C bill along with the mortgage payment.

Good luck to all.