Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    Tires and fluids are known wear items. Unexpected and expensive repairs sour people on brands.

Toyota sludge.
    Caravan transmissions.
    Odyssey transmissions.
    CTS rear diffys and half shafts.
    Jeep death wobble.
    VW electronics and power windows.
    Subaru head gaskets.

I guess we can now add:

CR-V AC compressors?
  • kimmie21kimmie21 Posts: 2
    Thanks! We are definitely bypassing the dealer and taking it to an independent shop. It just quit, no noise at all.
    Good luck with your CRV!
  • berriberri Posts: 4,013
    People pay a premium both in price off the lot and for service on a Honda, so they expect a better experience when they buy a Honda. Looking at all these CRV AC issues and V6 tranny and engine pinging issues on other Honda vehicles at what appears to be relatively low age and mileage in many cases, I can't help but wonder if Honda hasn't decided to cheapen up their engineering and quality. If this is the case, why pay extra for Honda vehicles any more? Seems to me Toyota can often be bought for less out the door, and you pay even less for Ford and Hyundai who seem to be catching up in reliability. Maybe Honda needs to offshore more of their work back to Japan?
  • 2002 Cr-v A/C compressor doesn't clutch. What to do, what to do?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    2002 Cr-v A/C compressor doesn't clutch. What to do, what to do?

Check refrigerant pressure, and pressure switch. Clutch won't engage when low on refrigerant (and oil in it) to preserve the compressor.
  • Interesting read. Now I will get the 6 year extended warranty for $620.00 $0 deductable, that covers the Compressor and Clutch.

Good luck everyone
  • jpettibonejpettibone Posts: 51
    "Preserve the Compressor"...that's rich! Sorry, dude, your compressor is most likely toast like the rest of us.
  • galvdudegalvdude Posts: 7
    Or the clutch could have failed like mine did. My compressor only died because the replaced clutch failed (I assume didn't release at higher rpm's like it was supposed to). I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have the refrigerant pressure checked first if low pressure will cause the clutch to not engage as previously suggested. Recharging would be cheaper than the labor for a new clutch, for sure. Good luck.
  • I found out yesterday that the compressor on my 2004 CRV seized and threw metal parts through the system, to the tune of about $3,000.00. My CRV has about 94,000 miles.

I tried my very best to look through the bazillion (but excellent) posts here before I called Honda. After asking me questions, I was told that since my warranty had expired it was my problem. My VIN also starts with a "J". They also said they would refer me to a service advisor who would call me back in a few days. Of course, I asked them why had so many cars (especially with the J VIN indicator) received help and now I was getting nothing? And why would it take two days for a rep to get back to me when, as I'm sure they've done this 1,000 times, they could do it in their sleep? My car is in pieces at the shop and they want to take two days to give me a run around?

Is this Honda's new position: deny? Is anyone having any success? How?

Why didn't they recall this? I know, recalls are typically a safety issue kind of thing, but *knowing* that such a devestatingly defective product was installed and allowing it to stay there....and then denying a repair.....oughta be worth something to somebody.

I could use some help, guys. Sometimes the 'net is a little too helpful and I'm going nuts trying to pick through and find specific information on what to do.
  • madams1madams1 Posts: 101
    Based on recent posts, I doubt that you will get much assistance from Honda America. Is it possible for them to put it back together and get an estimate at another shop? If you have a shop that specializes in Hondas, that would be best. I understand regional price differences, but have a hard time understanding the wide range of repair estimates.

Wish you the best on your repair.
  • jim333jim333 Posts: 4
    If you own a Honda CRV 2002-2007 and your air conditioning compressor has 30 K or more miles on it, you should replace it now before it fails and costs you two or three thousand dollars. You can buy a discount compressor for a couple hundred dollars, and get an independent air conditioning co. to replace it for about the same, two or three hundred. This should last for another 30k miles or so. Ridiculous that you have to do this, but if you don't you're looking at replacing the whole system. Screw Honda. When I finally unload the this piece of junk, I will go back to Toyotas.
  • lening99lening99 Posts: 4
    I followed up Honda's initial rejection of my CRV AC case with letters and faxes to Honda America and my local Honda dealer. I just received a second callback from Honda America. No surprise that I was again denied any help from Honda. The official statement to me was "contact your State Attorney General". Honda's reputation for quality will soon self-destruct - just like a CRV AC compressor.
  • lorraylorray Posts: 6
    Hello, I have a 2001 CRV and my second air conditioning compressor just went out. My first one went out four years after I bought it and now. However, I have almost 200,000 miles on my car but still I can't believe this. Take care,
    Has it ever been determined if the problem is the compressor itself or the location/design of the compressor? It bothers me that folks are having multiple failures which indicates the problem may be with the location/design of the compressor. Also, could maintenance of the vehicle or lack of contribute to some of the failures(coolant changes, cabin filter changes)? Finally, I wonder how many failures occured under extreme heat when the A/C was on maximum. I am so aware of the problem now that I try and avoid using max A/C.
  • markayo1markayo1 Posts: 23
    Are there problems with the 2009 Crv-EX-L air conditioners and compressors ?
  • tabanowatabanowa Posts: 7
    Excellent Advice! I just had my whole system replaced, and I'm definitely going to keep track of the mileage and replace the compressor before it blows again.
  • tabanowatabanowa Posts: 7
    Well, I'm very happy with my dealer here in Albuquerque. Originally the manager had called American Honda for me and got them to agree to paying for 75% of my repair (I have a 2004 CRV with 73000 mi). I called American Honda myself trying to get a better deal, but they wouldn't budge. I pleaded with my dealer to see if they themselves would cover some of the labor cost (since I've been a good and long-term customer with them). They said they would see what they could do. In the meantime, I surrendered to the probability of having to go into debt on a credit card for $750. I HAD to get the A/C fixed, living here in the hot desert... I got a call that my car was ready (ahead of schedule) and also more good news - my bill was only $325. They had gotten Honda to pay for 90% of the repair!!!
    I have found that getting Honda repairs through the dealer really pays off, and it does really make a difference in Hondas when you use Honda parts.
    Great that you got a good deal, but most folks are probably not going to get the same deal due to higher mileage and service history with dealership. I would recommend that folks get an estimate from a dealer and then get an estimate from a shop that specializes in Hondas such as the one we have in Lavergne, Tn. I would guess that the dealer is going to be much more for the same work. As far as using genuine Honda parts, I would think that the compressor and other A/C parts are not really Honda parts and parts that any reputable shop has available.
  • beyondoilbeyondoil Posts: 15
    Well I went to the dealer as Honda America requested that I confirm that my 03 CRV needed a new air conditioning compressor at the Honda dealer. They said this was the only way they could partially subsidize the repair. So it cost me $132.00 to get the confirmation that the AC compressor was bad then Honda said "Sorry but we won't pay anything". I certainly could have use the $132.00 elsewhere. I would rather spend it buying some ice than give it to Honda for getting nothing in return.

Daniel
  • hatehondahatehonda Posts: 2
    AC stopped working on hot Sunday. Went to dealer and got the news that the entire AC system should be changed - about $2500. Fixed at local shop with $1500.
    The guy in the shop said that there is a something WRONG in the compressor and gave the defected compressor. Took the picture and posted into

http://picasaweb.google.com/hatehonda/Desktop#5357308868950726546

Before fix it, contacted Honda America and got the very short answer - warranty is expired. The dealer said that contacting Honda America is not their business.

I don't know the material and mechanics, but it should not be happened. Is it safety related issue?