Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,153
    edited October 2011
    Per Wiki "Editorials are usually unsigned and may be supposed to reflect the opinion of the periodical."

Here's the editorial staff at the NYT.

The Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall is active again for more Toyota talk.

Now that Fall is officially here, we'll see if CR-V AC compressor complaints fall off a bit (until defrost season kicks in).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,636
    Where should I post the ongoing problem with my Civic's a/c compressor Steve?

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Looks like this is the place:

Honda Civic Climate Control System

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Like many in here, I replaced my '03 air conditioning unit and I only wish that were my only costly repair. I also forked over nearly $700.for a new alternator, and somewhere in the past I paid for a sensor ($400.). Then there was an engine mount bushing of some sort, and lately, both front and rear brakes went. That would be fair wear but get this.... after my $200.+ brakes were installed, there was a failure of another brake-related part within two months that required that the original barakes be totally redone!! So my brakes ended up costing including the new rotors and labor, over $1000. Now, only a few months later, I have no heat. Almost without a doubt this is a heater core. There goes another grand plus ! Don't believe the bull in consumer mags about Honda's wonderful repair record. My CRV is without doubt the most expensive car I ever bought. Bye bye Honda !
  • My A/C compressor seized and after 1 week without a/c and several days on the phone with Honda dealership and Honda Corp. I am out a diagnosis fee of $67 and although Honda Corp agreed to pay for 50% of the cost, after the discount it would cost me $1,049 and my local reliable mechanic quoted $998 without a reduction.
  • My 2004 CRV blew up its compressor twice in 2 1/2 years. The first time it was under warranty, the second time Honda wanted to charge $3200 and then, they said they were doing me "a favor" and gave me a 50% discount. I had it done somewhere else for $950, but still too much money to pay for a defective product from Honda. I would like to be reimbursed and compensated for all the time and aggravation, all that I went through with Honda trying to get the problem fixed.

I just received a notice of a class action suit for Honda compressors or condersers
    Civil Action No.: 2:08-cv-4825 (KSH)(PS)

Is it worth it to filll out the form and send it in? Will I be getting any financial compensation that is worth the trouble? Will there be any other legal consequences for me in doing so?

I have never filed a claim before.

I would appreciate any responses.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,636
    I learned a valuable lesson last month when I asked Honda Corp. to pay for my a/c issue...I asked for the full amount to be refunded but they offered 1/2 and I was happy to take it. They didn't have to do anything since I was out of warranty but they stepped up anyways. They also paid for 1/2 my 2nd set of tires due to a defective parts problem...on that situation though, I should've got the whole amount but since I didn't keep the worn tires...who knew, they only gave me 1/2. Still think they got away with it, as there was a TSB about it and they did replace both defective parts. But hey, life goes on.

My point here is, if you don't ask for something...you don't get anything. So go ahead and fill out the paperwork, send it in & see what happens. For the little effort you need to put forward, you could get something great in return. So, go for it!

Mr. Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• I don't consider it any favor when a company makes good on defective parts. Honda obviously had a problem with the A/C of those vehicles which should have been recalled. I did get help from them to fix my A/C, but still had to pay over $500. Now it looks like I'm headed for a big bill again since I have no heat. If it's a valve, I can expect to pay almost $400. If it's the heater core, almost $1400 ! I might expect expensive repairs with a Mercedes or Jaguar, but Honda dealers must be mining gold too. Most repairs aren't even guaranteed for over a year...that sucks !
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,915
    I got the same notice, today....

Didn't really look it over, though.... as I sold mine in 2008, and never had the compressor problem.

If you've already paid for the repairs, long ago... don't see how it could hurt to send it in... What do you have to lose?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• We had the same problem. Honda gave us a quote for approximately $3000 and then reduced it to approximately $1500 when we contacted Honda customer service.

We did not go through with the repair--to expensive and only a one year guarantee.

Today, I contacted the lawyers' customer service line and was told if you did not actually have the repairs done--that it is possible to file an objection.
  • oathoath Posts: 7
    I got the notice on Friday, and mailed it back with a copy of my receipts and a letter of explanation yesterday. I keep excellent records. My compressor and all what came with it was replaced twice. The first time it was under warranty and 5 years later it wasn't.
  • I have also had my air conditioner replaced twice. Less than two years ago, it went out and I had it repaired to the tune of $850. Then, less than a month later, had to have it in yet again, the compressor was bad. At least didnt have to pay but was a huge inconvenience. Then, last summer, it went out again. I was not going to fix it although I really needed the air. Then, as I was coming back from a trip to pick up my grandson for vacation time together, the compressor locked up on me and I was stuck on the side of the road for over 4 hours. This time was well over $1200. This is ridiculous.
  • I am wondering how many people who have/had this 'a/c compressor' issue on their V will buy another CRV, especially 2012 model, or any Honda product again? :confuse:
  • gwmsgwms Posts: 3
    I've got an 02 CRV I'm likely to turn over to my daughter in the spring. I have 72K on it and can tolerate a $1k hit for a compressor down stream but if I had to do it twice... I'm wondering what to do with my next vehicle and whether a 3rd or 4th generation CRV ought to be in the mix.
  • That's a good question," dude." I'm faced with a possible heater core problem. I took it to a Honda dealer and now they have me over a barrel...is it the valve or the heater core? Maybe they want to put them both in to the tune of about $1800? Not this cowboy...Don't know how many would buy a new'V,' I love the way mine handles, but I'd look hard at the new GMC Terrain. Maybe with GMC I wouldn't face $1000. repairs every few months. And,as someone noted, one year on new repairs shows how little confidence they have in their parts.
  • I paid a good local mechanic 650.00 to flush, change dryer desicant (a sock), put new compressor in and recharge. My son drives the car in college. He said the 4 wheel drive really helps in winter months and I am glad he can defog the windows now. I think that led to the recall by Honda it pissed me off that they didn't help with my 02 model. But I know my son is safer for fixing it. They are good cars just fix it. I did! ;)
    My CRV EX 2002 is turning 10 on December 18th with almost 150,000 miles. Aside from the AC it keeps running. This is my 3rd Honda and when this one dies I'll most probably buy another one.
  • runr89runr89 Posts: 1
    Hello,

We just got hit with an estimate of over 1500$ for an air compressor issue. We were advised by the service rep to look into this class action suit. You indicate here that you 'got the notice and mailed back your receipts'. Can you tell me where you got the notice and how I can obtain one? Thank you.

Timothy D. McCauley
  • Tim: Alin Litigation Settlement Administrator, P.O. Box 8014 Faribault MN 55021-9414
  • I want to fill out my settlement claim form but I don't have the compressor replacement part number. I had the "compressor core plus clutch assembly" replaced back in 2005 by my local service guy (not Honda) and he didn't write down then replacement part number. All I know is the price ($788.18). I've looked online, but have not been able to get a useable number. Will try going back to the service guy - but what if he can't provide me with the correct info. Am I out of luck?

Thanks for any help. Would love to be able to get some of my $$ back.
  • I started this topic with the first inquiry. We still have that Honda CR-V, with over 100,000 miles. We have had to put 3 AC's into it, but only had to pay for 2, all by our local mechanic and not the Honda dealer. After I got the refund notice last month, it got me wondering what happened here. Well it is still going. It doesn't look like we will get a lot of money back, but hopefully some. I am glad something is being done, but it took way too long.
    Vivian Z
    Six years and 2,000 posts later, it does finally seem like the problem is going away. Activity has slacked off. Then again, it's the dead of winter.

Funny to go back to the first few posts and read "Very few of these cause problems." Funny, unless you're an owner and your AC goes out.

• dj1192dj1192 Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2003 CRV with 58,700 miles, A/C works fine...did they rework the compressor or re-design it? I'm thinking if so maybe I should just replace the original BEFORE it implodes causing all the issues I'm reading about.
  • shima1shima1 Posts: 19
    No such luck. It's a ticking bomb and the replacement has the same fatal flaw.
    It's immoral for Honda to have done this for 6 years.

Over 2K posts on thisforum but many more thousands on many other forums.
  • lrd5530lrd5530 Posts: 10
    I just replaced the compressor at 97K. Haven't read everything on the class action, but it doesn't seem like I will get anything reimbursed since the mileage is over 96K. Has anyone had any success getting reimbursed? Are the replacements at the same risk? Any help would be appreciated
  • sissytoosissytoo Posts: 21
    I've had mine fixed twice. The first time, the air compressor just quit. I work in an office and hate going to work in dress clothes and no air, is hot here, so i fixed it. The second time, it actually locked up and tore the belt off, leaving me and my grandson stranded on the freeway.
  • lrd5530lrd5530 Posts: 10
    sissytoo -How long did the first replacement last before you had to replace it? Mine just stopped working, didn't lock up. But I was told the defroster wouldn't work and it had the potential to lock up, so I replaced it. Couldn't see driving without the defroster.
  • shima1shima1 Posts: 19
    Are the replacements at the same risk? Yes. It's criminal.
    I replaced mine twice. The first time fron the Honda Dealer in 2005 when it was under warranty and the 2nd time from a local mechanic in 2010 because Honda wanted to replace the whole system again instead of the compressor alone. By then it wasn't under warranty.

I did get the form to fill out about the lawsuit. I filled it out, sent my receipts even though I don't think I'll get anything since my car was over 100,000 miles when it occurred the 2nd time. I now have 154,000 miles on my CRV and still going strong 10 1/2 years (2002 model) later.

I love my CRV.