Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• berriberri Posts: 4,013
    Probably best to dump it. AC is one of those things that seems difficult to fix right unfortunately. :lemon:

So much for the myth of superior Honda Japanese engineering. Maybe one day people will wake up and not spend elevated prices for their vehicles. When the boards get filled with AC, tranny, differential etc. problems, you gotta start wondering if its smart to buy a Honda any more???
  • I'm having the EXACT same problem. I had my air conditioner compressor replaced and it was fine for the last 1 1/2 years....until the last month or so. AC still cold, but I have this sluggishness. I also have a rough idle that just developed today. The car actually stalled when I went to make a turn, so now I'm taking it in Tuesday. Did they figure out what it is? I thought maybe the idle needed adjusting or it was the transmission, but now you have me thinking it is related to the ac.
  • jo27jo27 Posts: 7
    the dealer had the car for about a day... I took it for a ride with the mechanic and got on 95 north - went up hill and had the pedal to the floor - definately how my CRV handled... she's a 5 speed and has no problem going up hills but the a/c on, I had no power... felt like the vehicle was tugging... They drove it without me that afternoon and many times the following day but weren't getting the same feel that I was with the sluggishness. They ended up flushing the coolant and recharging the system. They seemed to think there was too much pressure from when the new compressor was installed and the coolant flushed and recharged. This seemed to resolve my issues. Since it's been 1 1/2 years for you, I'm not sure if this is the same thing. Good luck! I just know that at 90k on this vehicle, it BETTER last another 5 years with THIS new compressor... Or I will be fighing Honda on this sooner than later.
  • My 2003 Honda was purchased in June of the same year. In the summer of 2005 at 36,000 miles, the a/c system blew up sending metal shards all throughout the hoses in the vehicle and rendering them replaceable. Fortunately, I had purchased the extended warranty and only had to pay a $50.00 deductible, but Honda did try to get me to pay for the damaged hoses, I didn't. In the hot hot summer in 2007 @ 76,000 miles, the air conditioning system blew up again same as before. Again, I only had to pay the $50.00 deductible as my extended warranty kicked in. In the summer of 2008, the motor blower had to be replaced so I had no a/c again. That was also replaced under extended warranty. Well Lo and behold, what happens in September 2009 @ 115,000 miles, the a/c system blows up again. When I contacted Honda corporate, I was told "they are very strict about mileage". As far as I am concerned mileage has nothing do do with this, obviously this is a defective system or part that is doing damage to the entire a/c system. I too find the vehicle to be sluggish when the a/c is on. The main reason I had purchased this model was because of all the positive feedback I received from other Honda owners. Sorry now that I listened. Guess I will be going back to Toyota. Have a 91 corolla that runs like a top. I am sure that Honda will try and beat me down on this as my extended warranty has expired. I was given an estimate of $3265.00. I know they are kidding. I wanted my next vehicle to be the Honda Pilot, but that never will happen now.
    Looking forward to anymore feed back and thank you to every body for all of the info.
    dann7
  • I have 2004 Honda CRV. AC burnt down. Paid dealer $65 for diagnosis. Dealear stated that AC got debris in it and need whole replacement. Cost $3200.
    I called Honda Moter Company. They refuse tocover it. Vehicle has 67k miles on it.
    It seems like common problem. Is there any site that helps on it?
  • The VIN on my 2003 CR-V begins with SHSR. This is a terrible injustice that Honda can make lemons and never have to recall or compensate the customer. I assuredly will NEVER buy a Honda again and will try to convince anyone I know who wants a Honda to stick with Toyota.

Thanks for the info on VIN's
  • There is a pending class action lawsuit that you can participate in if you were affected by the A/C compressor defect.
    http://www.honda-lawsuit.com/
  • jo27jo27 Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info. on the class action suit. I will make sure I have all my doci and will do this ASAP. It can't hurt if ALL of us respond. My CRV is a 2004 and has 90k on it... just paid off and I hope to NOT have to go thru a 2nd compressor during the next 90k that I own this vehicle. Thanks again.
  • 74,500 miles. About 2 weeks ago paid over $500 to have the front O2 sensor replaced at the dealer. Today A/C bit the dust. Don't know exactly what the problem is but will find out tomorrow and the cost. I cannot believe all the problems with the A/C in these vehicles. Had I known, would have never purchased one. Am most disappointed. Will post later the details but from the sound it made I am concerned. It is hot in Texas in the summer. :mad:
  • Can you give me any info on the class action suit. A/C blew up today in my 2004 Honda CRV. Have only 74,500 miles on it. Garage kept, oil changes and maintenance as required. Never saw this coming. :mad:
  • Today, 2004 Honda CRV A/C went out. Don't know the cost to repair yet. 74,500 miles, kept in the garage, oil changes and maintenance done regularly. Had o2 sensor replaced about 2 weeks ago at a cost of over $500.00. Once I get it back fixed there will be a 'FOR SALE" sign on it immediatley. Will do a little more homework next time I purchase a new car and I can tell you it WILL NOT be a Honda. :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • I don't think it is related to the air conditioner. They cleaned the throttle body and reset the air idle control. It seems to have helped a bit. They could duplicate the rough idle, but the car did not stall. The days have been cooler so I haven't had the ac on as much. Hopefully all is well now. It seems like people are only having to replace the ac once.....so hopefully you and I will be able to have no problems for at least 5 more years! My 2003 only has 56,000 on it, so I really want to keep it a loooong time.
  • Same problem as everyone else. Honda quoted me $1400 if it's just the compressor and $3400 if it "contaminated the system", which I'm willing to bet is the case after all the grinding/crunching metal sounds I heard coming from the front left part under my hood. It smoked, made a hissing sound, smelled like burning, and metal crunching and grinding.

95,000 miles, excellent condition, oil changes every 3,000 miles, and meticulous maintenance records.

Went to the law firm who's doing the class action suit - if you're reading this, maybe if there's enough of us hopefully we'll get our money back.

• Thanks for the Honda lawsuit link. Hopefully we can get our money back. You sound like me. All oil changes made on time and meticulous maintenance records. In fact, the Honda dealer is the only person who has touched my auto until this problem came up. My compressor and condenser only cost me $1,472.90. I guess I heard mine go out before you did. Going to keep driving it until I get out of Bible School because of the amount of miles I drive. Don't want to put all those miles on anything new at this time. Thanks again for the info and I pray for the restoration of our finances in this situation.
  • pdoepdoe Posts: 1
    I first experienced what Honda referred to as the "Black Death" (metal shards contaminating the whole A/C system) at 99,000 miles in my 2003 Honda CR-V bank in 2007. I had bought the extended warranty so it was covered, otherwise they quoted me $3800 plus labor. So here I am 2 years later and my compressor has locked up once again. I'm extremely disillusioned with Honda. Thank you for the link to the lawsuit.
  • My 2002 Honda CRV's AC compressor blew up and it cost me $1760 to repair. Metals damaged the whole ac system. I got 2 other quotes for the same about $1,700. One mechanic refused to give me a quote after a bad experience. He repaired a crv with this problem and the problem occured again. Needless to say, I am broke and very very disappointed. I thought Honda's were good reliable cars. Honda customer service was no help of course. Time to join the class action suit. This is completely unfair and bad business practice that there was no recall.
  • Class Action may be the only recourse. My CRV is a 2002 but on two occasions once at around 40k miles and now again at 77k miles I have had significant repair costs for the A/C including a full replacement of Compressor, Clutch, Coil, Condenser Fan. The first time, Honda did reimburse me. This time, the total repair cost $1,939. That is almost 10% of the purchased price of the car (20% had I paid for both repairs) . That is a significant cost of ownership for a car that sold for $22k only 7 years ago and with relatively low mileage, this is a horrendous reliability factor. American Honda could not have been less understanding and told me that there was nothing that could be done - this would not be considered for compensation. Judging by the number of comments on this site, this is not a isolated issue Honda is not stepping up and providing a reliable or quality product nor are they willing to provide quality support of a multiple failure issue. If there is anyone preparing a class action on this please respond – I’m in. Tell your fiends to read this site, it could save them money and frustration.
  • Here is the link to register for the class action.

• my CR-V, with 186,000 miles had the AC go out today. There was a little bit of smoke from under the hood before I turned the AC off. I dropped the car at my Firestone shop today, they will check it tomorrow. The mechanic took a quick look under the hood and said the compressor was trying to engage. I will let you know what I find out. After reading the posts, I fear the worst! Thanks Honda!
  • Does anyone have more information on this pending lawsuit? That is, the number of owners who have filed, the cost of filing, the type of settlement and the proposed settlement date, etc. My 2003 CR-V a/c hissed (and blew hot air right after that) on (of all day) ....9/11/09...with less than 70,000 miles on the odometer!!! :mad: :lemon: :P